Posts created by nextgengranny

posted in Dark Realm: Guardian of Flames Collector's Edition on Jul 8, 17 6:52 PM
Like bribling, I found the gameplay in the demo too unintuitive to be enjoyable. Also, the puzzle pieces didn't do much for me as a collectible (as usual when demoing, I mostly forgot about the morphs). Nice graphics & some nice creativity in some of the mini-games & HO scenes, but I just didn't enjoy the overall presentation enough to buy this as a CE. Maybe I'll take a look at it again when the SE comes out...particularly if I happen to have a coupon getting ready to expire at the time.

I didn't get to complete the full demo, as I dozed off about halfway through...not so much a commentary on the game as on doing demos when it's past one's bedtime. Unfortunately, I wasn't particularly taken w/ what I did get through. The collectibles are definitely lacking, & given that, I'm not willing enough to hope the bonus chapter is good to buy this as a CE. I'll probably demo the SE when it comes out, but my expectations aren't very high at this point. Probably not a buy for me in either version. EDIT: Just popped back in to say that having now done the complete demo on the SE version, I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed it; as angelfish 106 states, it's neither overly challenging nor childishly easy, & w/ the heat wave we're having, that sounds about right. I'm still not inclined to purchase the CE, due to the lack of good collectibles, but the SE will be a purchase for me.

posted in League of Light: Edge of Justice on Jul 7, 17 3:25 AM
Based on the demo: Still the same bore it was as a CE. I was sincerely hoping to like this game, as I have all the previous in the series, but I just can't subscribe to it. The only thing I saw to recommend it was the HO scenes, which given it's an HO game, should perhaps be enough? But those sparsely offered HO scenes didn't make up for all the back-&-forthing for bits & bobs that constituted the lion's share of this demo. My personal feeling is that much of the charm of this series is being lost, w/o enhancing it in any way. But do the demo, if you didn't for the CE, perhaps you will find it to your liking...particularly if you haven't played the previous installments in the series. As for myself, despite having formerly been something of a devotee, I'll pass.

O.O
 posted in Love Chronicles: Death's Embrace Collector's Edition on Jul 5, 17 9:04 AM
I was debating getting this game at all, once I learned about the helper, but I was getting another CE, & w/ the BOGO sale on, I decided to take the plunge...& now I dearly wish I hadn't, because that flaming blue minion is killing my eyes. Within a few minutes of the thing showing up, I had to prop something up against my computer screen to block my view of it...which of course blocks my view of the screen. I played about 20 minutes after that before I got tired of it & quit. My eyes do tend to be weak, so it may not be such a problem for most, but just be advised...it's on the large side, it's always flaming, it's almost always displayed on your screen (even in HO scenes & mini-games)...& it's BRIGHT. O.O

Thank you, kgustavson, for commenting on the bonus game. I wish more people would do that, as bonus chapters a/o collectibles are my only reasons for purchasing CEs.

posted in Endless Fables: Frozen Path Collector's Edition on Jul 3, 17 6:01 AM
I just did the demo for this. The collectibles in this case are not of special interest to me, & based on the reviews I've read, the main game sounds long enough, in & of itself, that I believe I will opt for the SE, instead. My granddaughter was looking over my shoulder, "helping me" as I played, & at first, her enthusiasm much exceeded mine...then we hit a couple of mini-games that made me sit up a bit. I also find the mythology woven into the story to be interesting, so that's enough, all told, for the game to be a buy for me...just, as an SE, rather than as a CE. EDIT: With the 4th of July sale on, I broke down & got the CE after all, & I'm just as glad I did, because the inclusion of the collectibles rounded this game out nicely. Based on reviews I read on the sales page, I was afraid that finding the morphs would be more of a nuisance than a pleasure, but I didn't actually find them that hard to spot, & the pull tab ensures you don't waste time looking for them in scenes that don't have them. The little fiery critters aren't in every scene, either, & I actually found them harder to spot in some instances. Fortunately, they're noted on the pull tab, as well. My only complaint would be that there were too many "position the rings to complete the image, turning one effects others" puzzles...there were three or four, & I prefer zero. But that's really a pretty small criticism, & I still have the bonus chapter to look forward to...& more collectibles to find there, as well. All in all, I'm a very happy camper right now, & I'm so glad I decided to give this game a try.

posted in Love Chronicles: Death's Embrace Collector's Edition on Jul 1, 17 10:11 PM
Thanks for the heads up, rainworm. I personally think inserting a helper into the game AFTER the demo is a low move on the part of the devs, as most people purchase based on what they see in the demo, & based on comments & reviews I've read, there are many folks who don't want helpers in their games. For myself, it generally depends on whether I think the helper will be a nuisance or not; for example, in "Beyond the Shadows" (also from the series), you get a cat who, though cute & comical, tends to move very slowly, & who's South end I got tired of looking at very quickly. I was looking forward to at least getting the SE of this game, but now I may not.

posted in Love Chronicles: Death's Embrace Collector's Edition on Jul 1, 17 5:48 PM
Based on the demo: As w/ a lot of games I demo these days, I'm on the fence w/ this one (which is essentially moot at this point, since I can't get it today, anyway ). On the one hand, the flavor of this game is excellent, in my opinion, & I appreciated the fact that there was an immediacy of things to actually DO, as opposed to making observations about what I'm missing & otherwise guddling about. I think it's definitely possible that this game is one of those rare few that doesn't have a lot of filler, & THAT would be a breath of fresh air. Those two factors are almost enough to sell me right there. Unfortunately, the "casual/hard" option has only been offered thus far on mini-games the type of which I'm not keen on to begin with, so I don't know if that will add much replay value to this game for me. I enjoy the aesthetic value of the collectibles (yes, I'm actually squirrelly enough to care about that O.O), but having only one kind, of a type that's easily spotted, doesn't add that much dimension, either. Also, unless I'm mistaken - & someone please post to correct me if I am - the HO scenes & mini-games are NOT replayable as part of the bonus content. I don't normally use that option, anyway, but it's pretty much the industry standard that it be available. The one thing that could tip me more towards getting the CE rather than waiting for the SE is learning that the bonus chapter makes the CE purchase worthwhile...unfortunately, people rarely comment on that. So I will probably end-up waiting for the SE. One way or another, though, the flavor of this game is just too good, I think, for me to pass it up entirely.

posted in Love Chronicles: Death's Embrace Collector's Edition on Jul 1, 17 3:35 AM
Are you clicking on the knives when the bubbles floating down enter the corresponding circle? Also, look for multiple bubbles floating down in a row, as you can click them all one after another.

posted in Queen's Quest III: End of Dawn Collector's Edition on Jun 29, 17 6:56 AM
The game displays the number of a collectible found thus far (example, "10 of 42 crests") as you go along, & that number is always correct; however, the fifth crest you find isn't added into the "achievement" total (which you can also access & view from the game screen). Thus, even though you collect all the crests, the "achievement" total will only show your having found 41 of 42. It doesn't prevent you from earning the achievement, though.

posted in Queen's Quest III: End of Dawn Collector's Edition on Jun 29, 17 6:46 AM
I enjoyed the main game quite a bit. It wasn't particularly challenging, but it was fun to play & loaded w/ charm, which I admit to being a sucker for...I also enjoyed the humorous bits w/ the peddler. That said, I found the bonus chapter so disagreeable I didn't finish it. I exited in the middle of a very junky junk heap that I was visiting for the second time, & don't expect to ever go back & complete it; there's just way too much of a drop in the quality of the gameplay & the graphics. I'm still okay w/ having gotten the CE because I got it for cheap & did enjoy having the collectibles in the main, but if I'd paid full price, I'd be pretty unhappy. For this reason, I'd rate the SE version four stars, but the CE only three.

posted in Nevertales: Forgotten Pages Collector's Edition on Jun 24, 17 3:49 AM
Sooo......the demo covers the first two chapters.....& according to a review on the sales page, there's only four in the main game? If so, that's one awfully short game...

posted in The Forgotten Fairy Tales: The Spectra World on Jun 18, 17 4:21 PM
I wasn't planning on reviewing this game here in the forums; I submitted a review to the sales page over 12 hours ago, & had planned to leave it at that. But I see that review hasn't been posted yet, & no one's commenting here, so I'll do a "quickie". I rated this game 2.5 stars, mainly because the mini-games were so simplistic, I didn't feel as though I'd even played any. I thought the HO scenes were better done, w/ some variety & a little difficulty, but it's worth noting that the difficulty is often the result of objects being tiny. The storyline is another save-a-world-or-two variant; the characters encountered thus far have been interesting, but interactions w/ them have tended to be short-lived. Graphics were mostly good, imo; some areas were on the drear side, but that generally seemed in keeping w/ the story. Normally a game like this wouldn't rate w/ me at all, but there's something in the overall flavor of it that entices me, so I imagine I'll get this when there's a sale on or I have a coupon to blow. I do think the dev will have to up the quality of the gameplay, etc. going forward if they want this series to be a success.

posted in The Secret Order: Bloodline Collector's Edition on Jun 18, 17 12:10 AM
demon13: I myself found the demo to be somewhat plodding. The graphics I'd say are about average, but they decline in quality in the HO scenes, which makes them less enjoyable to me. HO scenes have had varying degrees of interaction. Mini-games have varied in terms of degree of difficulty, which is nice, but there was one I found very annoying, as your view of what you need to see to solve it is blocked. Collectibles include small "figures" (statuettes?), posters, & morphing objects. The storyline is apparently save-your-mom-plus-the-world. The monkey hasn't done much yet, so who knows. How's that?

posted in Reflections of Life: Hearts Taken on Jun 12, 17 3:03 PM
I had to laugh when I saw your post...only in the HO universe will you ever read a comment like that, & have it make perfect sense. I wish I could help, but I don't recall any point at which one is supposed to hit a rose w/ a hammer...is it possible you're referring to something in the bonus chapter in the CE, & meant to post your query there? If not, can you be more specific about where you're at in the game? - assuming you haven't resolved the issue already. Either way, good day to you.

posted in Reflections of Life: Hearts Taken on Jun 12, 17 2:51 PM
Based on the completed game: I mentioned in a review I did of the demo for the sales page that I thought this game might run a tad short in terms of gameplay (due to an abundance of cut scenes & whatnot), & it did only take me somewhere between 3 & 4 hours to complete. That said, I was okay w/ having used a coupon on it (even w/ the sale, I wasn't enthused enough by the demo to pony-up cash money). Other than some instances where the proportions were off in the character art, I thought the graphics were quite good. There were some fresh mini-games, a few of which required some thought, though unfortunately, others that weren't near as challenging as they appeared at first glance (for instance, there's one that's presented as a sort of logic problem that you can actually "solve" through trial & error). The HO scenes were nothing to write home about, in the sense of being, for the most part, only mildly interactive list finds, but again, I found myself pausing to appreciate the graphics, & the one shown in the sales media (where there's a kitten playing w/ a ball of yarn) was especially enjoyable. I don't groan too much about whether a storyline is "original" or not, as the majority aren't at this point (the market being pretty well saturated); I'm more concerned w/ how a story is told, & I like it when the storytelling is incorporated into the gameplay, as it was in several instances in this case. Overall, based on my enjoyment, I would still rate this game as at least 3 stars, & possibly 3.5; part of that is just that it matched what I was in the mood for at the time, but given the change-up in the setting (& thus the accompanying art), this is a game I'm likely to play again, & replayability is huge w/ me.

posted in League of Light: Edge of Justice Collector's Edition on Jun 10, 17 1:01 AM
This series, like many others, is dropping in quality. I commented to my daughter today (I'd gone over to babysit) that there's a tendency, I believe, once one has "invested" in a series, to feel compelled to keep buying each game in that series, so as to keep one's collection "intact". Even though she plays in an entirely different genre than me, she agreed w/ me (which actually surprised me, but she knew exactly what I was talking about). tl;dr: I rated "Silent Mountain" @ 4 stars. I rated "The Gatherer" @ 3 stars. I rate this game @ 2 stars. And I won't spend my money encouraging devs to produce games that are, consistently, "less than". Just my two cents.

Let me start out by saying that this comment will have SPOILERS, so be warned...My biggest objection to this game is one I only alluded to in the review I submitted for the sales page: There are a few too many things that are, imo, just plain stupid (rude to say it, I know) or thematically bad. As an example of just plain stupid, sealing a door w/ molten gold you fling w/ a catapult; as an example of thematically bad, Asgard being futuristic in appearance, like something I'd expect to see in a sci-fi game, w/ virtually nothing Norse-flavored about it. I particularly wanted to like this game (& the series) because it harkens to my own ancestry, so I suppose that adds to my disappointment; but even more so, I just find it frustrating. Eipix is such an established dev, w/ many, many good games under their belt...& this is the best they could do? I see them being more innovative in some ways, & I WANT to return to being as big a fan of theirs as I've been in the past, but lately, so many of their games seem like halfway efforts that it really makes it hard. It may be that I hold them to a higher standard, as well, & as a consequence, tend to be more critical of their efforts...but w/ established devs, I think that's fair enough. Just seems like more & more of them can't be bothered to swing for the fences anymore.

posted in Surface: Strings of Fate Collector's Edition on Jun 4, 17 5:50 PM
There's a review on the sales page that lists all the CEs in the series...they're in alpha sequence, but the release date for each one is given. Hope that helps.

Well, I'll be the odd person out. One of the things I enjoy about Five-BN games is their distinctive style of using exclusively "progressive"-style HO scenes...so when the very first HOP in this game consisted of a slightly interactive list find, I think my mouth probably fell open. Of the three HOPs in the demo, only one was done in the progressive style which, prior to this, Five-BN had made their own & been the master of...the other two consisted of the afore-mentioned slightly interactive list find & a "find 15 of". My disappointment in this regard is keen, as I personally see it as a step in the direction of becoming cookie cutter. Given how many complaints I read on various sales pages & in these forums about games being cookie cutter, I was genuinely surprised when I saw this move on Five-BN's part being praised on the sales page for this game. There had already been a discernable drop in the overall quality of the last two games I purchased from these folks, particularly in the character artwork; in the most recent Lost Lands game, Maaron is so poorly rendered I wasn't even sure that was him until he was acknowledged as such. I still felt those games rated as 4 stars when compared to much of what is offered us, but compared to Five-BN's own previous efforts, I'd rate them more like 3-3.5 stars. And now, this...I'm glad I did the demo, as this will not be a purchase for me, & once I complete this comment, I'll be emailing the devs, as well. Don't get me wrong; I have plenty of games that utilize the more standardized HOP "formats", & so long as they're well done, I enjoy them. But that's kind of my point: I have plenty of games that use those formats. The way I feel about this is the way I suppose lovers of Dark Parables would feel if those devs did away w/ the FROGs in those games. (I should perhaps add in closing that my experience w/ Five-BN games is limited to those in the fantasy genre; if they do things differently in other of their games, I wouldn't be aware of it.) Just my two cents worth.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator