Posts created by WanderingPenguin

posted in The Serpent of Isis: Your Journey Continues on Feb 27, 11 8:02 PM
We never obtained the capsule from the cabin on the train. We were supposed to cut the brooch off of the hat with the knife (which it didn't let us do when we tried it) and I can only assume that we were to use that to progress from there in Jasili's cabin to obtain the capsule. But we never got that far and when we opened the lock with the ID card (which, BTW, gave us a lot of trouble because we entered the correct code more than once before it took it) the chapter ended with Robert saying he had already obtained the capsule.

I don't know why it thinks we have finished this level, but that is a MAJOR glitch. We have already bought the game - we had an extra credit and pickings have been rather slim this month, sad to say - so there's not much we can do but it would have been a deal-breaker had it happened earlier. Not impressed.

posted in Trivia Golf on Feb 3, 11 2:41 PM
I really was excited to try this game. I love trivia games and thought the golf twist might make it more fun. As it turned out, the golf part was the best part of this game - and that wasn't very good.

First of all, it's very UK-centric which makes some of the questions virtually impossible for North Americans to answer. Secondly, when you get a question wrong it doesn't tell you what the RIGHT answer is. I guess that works out well when there's a limited question pile for the game, but it's not much fun to never find out what you've done wrong. Thirdly, there doesn't seem to be much (or any) correlation between the wrong answer you have chosen and what direction the ball will shoot off into (shank, slice, hook, whatever).

But worst of all are the spelling mistakes. Oh. My. Goodness. This is supposed to be a game that challenges your intelligence. How is it possible to spell so many things wrong in a game like this? That was the worst of all.

So....cute idea done poorly. No sell.

posted in Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ on Jan 16, 11 8:21 PM
Another fantastic MCF game. We loved a lot of things about this one - especially being able to interact with the video characters! Taking things from their hands and giving them things was a pretty cool touch.

However, my enthusiasm was somewhat dampened by the many occurrences of spelling, punctuation and grammar mistakes in the subtitles or game messages. The "Bee" was particularly bad for these. If you go to this much trouble to put together a fantastic game (where even the actors were first-rate) you really should invest in some strong proofreading skills. It's just not that hard to root out these kinds of things if you really want to. It's always very jarring to me to be immersed completely in a terrific game and then be snapped back to reality by a glaring written error.

To me, it's just as important as anything else in contributing to the total ambient package. I wish more game developers felt the same way.

posted in Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles on Dec 19, 10 12:22 PM
We enjoyed the gameplay quite a bit and I particularly enjoyed the map functionality. We always play games on the "Difficult" level but I get quite bored having to run through room after room over and over again just to be able to use a can of oil or what have you. There was a lot to like about this game. However...

...there were quite a few grammatical and other text-based mistakes. Also, every time we picked up a piece of something (like the Coats of Arms, for example) it would increase both the number found and the number left to find on our screen. I realize these will be very minor annoyances for most of you, but for us they are absolutely maddening because they are so easily fixed. It ruined the gameplay for us and made this a No Sale.

As I said, it's not a bad game otherwise, but I have played many that are far better and with so much competition out there on BFG for our hard-earned money there was not even a second thought for us. We played through the 60 minutes and deleted it.

If you don't mind these kinds of mistakes (there are others as well but if you have no trouble with the English and math errors then they're hardly worth pointing out), then I think you will find this a decent romp. As for us, we're waiting for the MCF:13th Skull to come out in regular edition. We'll be all over that one.

posted in Atlantis: Mysteries of Ancient Inventors on Dec 4, 10 8:47 AM
Terrible. No sale.

posted in Drawn: Dark Flight ® Collector's Edition on Sep 6, 10 7:54 AM
This may be the most beautiful game we have ever played. Absolutely stunning. As a result, this became the first game we ever purchased in the Collector's Edition format - because we simply didn't want to wait ANY longer to be able to play it right through.

Now... we're anxiously awaiting the next chapter.

posted in My Beautiful Vacation on Jul 3, 10 4:19 PM
....right? There's no way a game could be this bad and seriously offered for sale?

posted in The Clumsys on Apr 18, 10 9:37 AM
Thanks for this. This game is the DD today and I was trying to figure out whether to buy it or not, having JUST finished the Clumsys 2 game last night (it was a previous DD). Your comment about the polar bears at the south pole stopped me cold. A HUGE pet peeve of mine. Will definitely not be purchasing this one - in fact, that bothers me so much that I wouldn't install it for FREE.

Thanks again.

posted in Art of Murder: Hunt for the Puppeteer on Apr 14, 10 8:06 PM
Oh, bahaha. That's a good one.

Calling a French person a "frog" is a racial slur. Thanks for the attempt at a semantics lesson, but you really missed the point. If you haven't anything constructive to add, please just try another thread. Thanks.

posted in Art of Murder: Hunt for the Puppeteer on Apr 14, 10 6:53 PM
Racial slurs...have absolutely no place in a Big Fish game. Calling the policeman a "frog"? Seriously? Shame on you. 2 minutes in and we've deleted this game already. How disgusting.

posted in It's all about masks on Mar 13, 10 11:12 AM
EcclesCakes wrote:After the needlepoint puzzle, you get about 5 rooms to visit. Unfortunately, even after completing one or two of those, if you exit the game for a break and come back, you come back to the beginning of the darn needlepoint puzzle! Tried it twice and the same thing happened. That makes it a no sale for me, I'm afraid.

Eccles Cakes

I completely agree with your comment. We didn't even exit the game and had the same problem. We solved the needlepoint puzzle, but found that the room was not completed, so we re-entered it. After (again) finding all the hidden objects, we were asked to help the lady with her needlepoint. So we clicked on the sampler again and the exact same puzzle appeared on our screen to be solved from the beginning a second time. Not good.

We also had a problem with ambiguity in several scenes. For example, in one scene they asked us to find a "stamp" and we clicked on more than one kind of "stamp" before we found the one they wanted. This is a pet peeve of mine in HOGs.

Will not be buying; in fact, didn't complete the demo.

posted in 1 Penguin 100 Cases on Feb 6, 10 10:29 AM
Ok, I have read all the positive reviews on here and I cannot believe I am the only one who was disturbed by the unbelievable racism of the teacher, "Mao". I was very disappointed, too, because even though there were obvious difficulties with the English language for the creators, for once they really didn't get in the way of fun for me... until Mao. If they had just not had him speak with such an outrageous Charlie Chan circa 1940 accent it might have been ok, but as it turned out it's far too offensive for me to spend any money encouraging this kind of behaviour.

I would have loved to have played this to the end, because the graphics were fun and interesting and the moving around of objects was really quite different. The voices were annoying, but certainly easy to ignore except for the one character (so far) noted above.

One more small note, but a big one for me (a "penguinophile"): it would be VERY difficult for polar bears to be "enemies" of the penguin since they don't come within 10,000 miles of each other in nature. A common mistake but a really annoying one nonetheless.

If the developers are reading this, let me say they are on the right track for sure but please, no more stereotypes in future efforts.

A definite no-buy for me, very VERY sad to say.

Oh, one final note which I think should be obvious but just in case: please do NOT let children play this game unless you turn the voices off.

posted in Million Dollar Quest on Jan 25, 10 8:11 AM
I have LOTS of games sitting there waiting for me to "preview" them. When a game has a loading bar that completely fills, but it STILL expects you to wait a lot longer with no visible activity before you can actually play it, well.... that's really bad design. I don't even care if the game is fun at this point: I'm deleting it and moving on. Something to think about for the developers.

posted in Youda Legend: The Golden Bird of Paradise on Jan 13, 10 7:15 PM
We play a LOT of HOGs and, I'm sorry, but this one was just too hard. It was hard to the point of being unplayable, in our opinion. And hard not just as part of the game, but seemingly just for the sake of being hard. Hard to see, hard to find things, hard to look at for too long... I guess I've made my point.

posted in Natalie Brooks: Mystery at Hillcrest High on Jan 1, 10 1:14 PM
My wife and I thought this was a TERRIFIC game. We didn't have any of the glitches that seem to have been so common here - maybe we were just lucky. The puzzles, we thought, were almost perfect - not too easy, not too hard - and virtually ALWAYS intuitive. There were a couple of minor "glitches with the English language" but it appears that the development team are all from Russia (judging by the names in the credits) so they are pretty easy to overlook - even for a real stickler like me!

The game was pretty long, too, so well worth the money. I think it took us 5 or 6 hours to get through it and that's about twice as long as we average with these sorts of games.

We loved it! Can't wait for the next installment!

posted in Mystery Case Files®: Dire Grove™ on Dec 13, 09 7:50 AM
Well, then I'm not sure why we were continually able to use a "magnifying glass" on the river if there was no further interaction. But thanks, I had forgotten about the feather. It really did seem like a red herring, though, whereas we really enjoyed the rest of the game.

posted in Mystery Case Files®: Dire Grove™ on Dec 13, 09 7:48 AM
No.

posted in Jane Angel: Templar Mystery on Dec 13, 09 7:45 AM
I must admit I came on here ready to complain about the language issues but I stopped to read all the comments first and I am really glad I did. Eugene, it's terrific that you are on here reading all of the comments in order to improve your product. Congratulations to you!

I do have one comment that actually doesn't belong on this thread but I know you're reading here for sure so.... early on we came across a scene where we were looking for a lamp. There was a prominent table lamp in the scene and we clicked on it several times with no success. A little later we noticed there was also a desk lamp in the same scene and this was the lamp we were supposed to find. This kind of ambiguity is a little frustrating, I find. Also, there was a little bit of "pixel hunting" where we needed to find a number 6 and the only one still showing refused to be picked until we hit it very precisely.

On the other hand, I did enjoy the way the object list items went gray when they weren't showing in that portion of the scene. That was good programming for sure.

Keep up the good and hard work and we look forward to your next effort!

posted in Mystery Case Files®: Dire Grove™ on Dec 12, 09 8:56 AM
We have finished the game (and LOVED it) but never were able to cross the frozen river (where it says you can't get across without getting hypothermia and the tree looks like your grandmother). Is this just a dead end? Is there something across the river (and some way to get there) that might bring an alternate ending or something? Everything else we picked up and everywhere else we visited had a purpose in the game.

posted in Trapped: The Abduction on Oct 27, 09 5:58 PM
Seriously, was the kid who developed this game 13 years old? There is not a punctuation mark to be found ANYWHERE and the "kidnapper" sounded like a schoolyard knuckle-dragging bully. With so many great and interesting and SMART HOGs to choose from, I didn't waste my time with this one after 15 minutes. I can certainly empathize with those who found it offensive, too - it didn't cause me the same kind of discomfort but... I see where you're coming from. I guess it would be titillating if you were... a 13-year-old boy.

What a load of crap. Oh well, onwards and upwards.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator