Posts created by littlegamefisher

posted in Sea of Lies: Mutiny of the Heart on Oct 13, 13 3:23 PM
It IS short, easy, and the ending is chopped off (in the SE version) but I still loved it. The graphics are great, VOs better than average, music nautically bouncy, and most of all, it was fun. For those who go to sea with this one, be sure to watch the closing credits. They go by a touch too fast but are generally funny.

posted in Calavera: Day of the Dead on Jul 25, 13 1:01 PM
Meh. Yes, it has nice graphics and subtle humor but sparkles on Advanced level in this day and age kill the deal for me. I also found the very repetitive music and slow animations boring. I feel games have evolved beyond the offering here but I respect that others enjoy this. As many say in these forums, try before you buy.

posted in Namariel Legends: Iron Lord on Jun 7, 13 6:52 PM
Everyone here says the hints are good but everywhere I use them, it says there's nothing to do. I don't think it's a glitch but is anyone else having the same problem?

posted in Haunted Halls: Revenge of Doctor Blackmore on Apr 14, 13 6:05 AM
Many people in these forums enjoy knocking the rabbit - and they are certainly entitled to voice their disappointment - but for me, their software generally ensures good graphics, engaging gameplay, and a fun aspect that is lacking in many other games. This title, for me, is no exception. I could quibble about the use of the same old music, the slightly hazy HO scenes, puzzles being too easy, and the fact that they seem to have gotten a little lazy in designing the later HO scenes (earlier ones are a nice mix of FROGs, interactive HO's, etc.) but overall, I thought this was wholly satisfying.

The graphics are top-notch, the VO's are better than most (and I agree with the comment above regarding "Mr. Anderson"), tasks are all within proximity to inventory items, and I was engaged all of the way.

I'll keep hopping with this bunny.

I, too, betaed this a long time ago, when it was titled "Cinderella." For me, it ran with no glitches but it's to this developer's credit that they don't rush their games to market. It's no accident that all their games (at least the ones that I've played) are polished and of the highest standards.

After playing the beta version, I immediately put it in my "buy" column. It is on the easy side but I like that sometimes. And as other fishies note here, the graphics are gorgeous, the VO's are professional (though, again, with faux British accents), and interactive maps are always welcome.

Try before you buy as always but if you buy sight unseen, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Thanks, pachyderm!

posted in Resurrection, New Mexico on Nov 10, 12 5:41 AM
I fully agree with Mary102696. At the DD price, this game is worth getting. I bought it at full-price but don't regret it. It's not perfect but very atmospheric and immersive. My original review is below:

"Overall, I thought the game was atmospheric and exciting. Even though we've seen this type of scenario before, the designers have provided an environment that's creepy and somewhat heart-pounding - reminiscent of "Haunted Halls: Green Hills Sanitarium," though not as polished.

No VO's and limited animation but it still delivers a "you are there" feel through appropriate sound effects and detailed visuals (creepy crawlers throughout - be forewarned.) I thought the H0G scenes were slightly grainy but still clear. If they do get grainier as the game progresses, I may have to eat my words [11.10.12: they don't degrade]. But in the demo, I thought they were challenging but not impossible - and I'm not the best H0G finder. The over-click penalty is generous and quick, and as others note, the hints refill pretty quickly.

It has the usual trappings that bug me like inventory objects that would do the job (an axe on an angry chicken or sealed bag, for example) but you need to find THE right one. And yes, you do a lot of traveling but the log book does a decent job of reminding you of what you need to accomplish.

The most frustrating aspect is the sparkles that you can't opt out of. And as others said, they remain even after you've looked at what they're screaming at.

This looks like a true "try before you buy." Despite some weaknesses, I found the demo fun and will be buying, but given some of the reviews of those who played through, I might end up regretting it. Ultimately though, it seems like an enjoyable ride."

Overall, I didn't regret it. Cheers.

posted in Sherlock Holmes VS Jack the Ripper on Sep 13, 12 1:18 PM
I don't mind the "oldness" of the game. It's mechanics (movement, environment, etc.) worked well for me and the graphics are adequate enough to be involving.

It is rich in atmosphere and story. They try hard to flesh out real characters, particularly Watson and Holmes (hence the early dialogue about smoking) and provide a living, breathing London. It plays much like the Conan Doyle stories themselves.

Even though it follows the formula of "do this for me and I'll give you something," it does so in a very absorbing manner. For me, it is like being in a movie but you have enough interaction to keep it intriguing.

Fishies who are having problems with darkness, movement, etc. should visit the options mode where much can be adjusted to the player's liking.

Overall, this is for serious adventure gamers only but I think it is a treat for those of us who love a good murder yarn.

As cherbtoo notes, I'm having the same problem. I updated AVG, uninstalled the program, and tried reinstalling but I've been "waiting to download" for over 5 minutes. No doubt, it won't happen.

I then clicked on the installation file a second time and it went through the downloading process but then ended up with a "download failed" message. I'll put in a Dr. Felix upload to tech support but I'm not hopeful.

I guess I'll have to wait for the SE version to see if that works.

Sorry for the second post but I found that if you click the installation file again, it will install. But then I get a "download failed" error. Dr. Felix and tech support, here I come.

I'm having the same problem as cherbtoo. I updated AVG, uninstalled the program, and tried reinstalling but I've been "waiting to download" for over 5 minutes. No doubt, it won't happen. I guess I'll have to wait for the SE version to see if that works.

posted in Hidden Mysteries: Royal Family Secrets on Apr 1, 12 3:48 PM
A very definite "try before you buy" (not that many of us buy just based on reviews.) But I really wanted to like this. The devs put a lot of work into it - it's not a quick or lazy effort - but it lacks that je ne sais quoi that top games offer. Despite well-drawn graphics and a strong storyline, here are my reasons for not purchasing:

1. The inventory doesn't lock open
2. Hogs are very cluttered and off-color, with some very small objects to find
3. Map is basically useless
4. Lots of trekking with little pay off - at least in the demo. I don't mind trekking but I want to find a purpose in it
5. No VO at all
6. Music is pretty but over-the-top and ultimately irritating. And again, I'm pretty tolerant of music in these games

For those who like it, enjoy. For me, the bar has been raised so high by other games, this one just doesn't make it for me.

posted in Phenomenon: City of Cyan on Mar 25, 12 3:57 PM
Based on the demo, I love this game for all the reasons already mentioned - particularly the absolutely beautiful graphics. BUT, as one dissenter noted, the puzzles (at least so far) require very little brain power. I've played on advanced and it seemed you just have to "paint by the numbers." The HOGs are fine but the puzzles are weak.

This won't stop me from buying as this is a quality game but puzzlers looking for a challenge should know.

posted in Adore Puzzle on Mar 22, 12 1:06 PM
This is a game for the few of us who like swapping tiles around to create pictures. If you like Patricia's Quest for Sun or Jig Swap Puzzle (which is more bizarre but I like it), you'll probably enjoy this one. I've only gone through the demo but the pictures of world landmarks and vacation spots are nice and the number of tiles increases as you progress. I don't know how many tiles they can increase to (if it goes into the hundreds, it could be tedious) or how many pictures are in the game (probably if you count all the countries, you have an idea) but overall I found it fun and sometimes challenging.

It would be nice if you could revisit a finished picture and self-select the number of tiles to play and to be able to import your own music (as you can with Patricia's Quest) as the limited new-agey soundtracks here get monotonous but you can always turn down the sound and crank up your own music player.

For me, this is a definite DD or coupon-worthy game for us mellow swappers.

posted in 9: The Dark Side on Feb 2, 12 1:28 PM
timothya wrote:
Seester2 wrote:Overall, this game was pretty good, although the story to me was frightfully boring. The hidden object scenes were very well done, the graphics were great, it was not hard to navigate, and it was a good length. The mini-puzzles were frustrating, though. Most of them did have a reset button, but you had to start the whole puzzle over and over again if you made one wrong turn. I would have maybe preferred it if it had had an undo button so you could backtrack and undo your last moves. It was just tedious to start a puzzle over and over again just to get to a specific point. The skip button recharged quickly, though, even on the more challenging mode, so I ended up getting frustrated and even bored with some of the mini-games and ended up skipping them, which I usually don't do. Overall, I would give this game an 8 out of 10. Even with the negative, I think it is worth the buy.

I know the puzzle you're talking about and I couldn't agree more. The thing has dozens of moves to the correct solution and a rather touchy moving piece, and one wrong move and you have to start over. Pity, too, because I was really enjoying the puzzle, but it just got too tedious and I ended up skipping it regretfully.

I love puzzle games and this is a good one. Great graphics, nice music, but a plot that really could have used a better writer. It's a little tough to reconcile the friendly 9 with the same people who tortured knights to death earlier.

So far three fins of five, but it could have been so much more.

Sorry to quote ad infinitum but I agree with both posters. The beauty and fun of this game waned as I struggled with (I think they're both referring to) the clock puzzle. One slight miscalculation and you're back to square one (literally.) An undo button would have saved tons of frustration. I've rarely skipped puzzles in any games but this one is setting a new high for me. Not enough to stop playing, because I think it's extremely well done, but an undo feature would have made it awesome.

posted in Mountain Crime: Requital on Jan 26, 12 6:32 AM
joyce2121 wrote:Even the walkthrough ends with you take the loaded gun and go
back and contront Jack. Jack being a twin made sense to me,
and he would recognize Phillip, but because of his scars, Phillip
might not recognize him.

My problem with the ending was it was too abrupt. I would have liked
some time to absorb what Jack was saying and a little more
conversation between the two before jumping into the credits.

Really liked the game, but wish it had been 30 seconds longer.

I wholeheartedly agree. Maybe it was their intention to be so confusing (at least to some) but it would have been more satisfying to take in the ending the way we do with movies. Or at least be able to replay the ending - which is something I wish more devs would program in.

posted in Mountain Crime: Requital on Jan 21, 12 9:28 PM
In my opinion, Misty5 has the best handle on the end here. The only missing in this forum (unless I'm missing it because I just finished the game and am tired) is the fact that the evil twin framed his brother (the doctor) for the murders. After his monologue of resentment concerning the doctor and the sister killed in the fire (and he has obviously been burned if you look at the scars on his face), he says something like "they're here for the real killer." As Misty5 then notes, he high-tails it (I think back inside - I don't recall seeing him run out as someone said here) and with all the secret places at the lodge, he certainly might not be found. That would leave the bewildered doctor with the gun in his hand, a dead Jack, and the police rushing in. An uncomfortable ending but I didn't find it confusing.

And if the devs feel like it, there could be a sequel as the doctor is eventually freed and goes back to find his brother.

posted in The Secret Order: New Horizon on Dec 17, 11 3:24 PM
It's really interesting to me how diametrically opposed opinions can be on the same game. Not that anyone is right or wrong - because ultimately beauty is in the eye of the beholder - but count me as one of those who loves the overall feel of this one. It was at the top of my beta list and just to make sure, I demoed again and still think the gameplay is perfect and the graphics, a mix of gritty and pretty, are fantastic. I do miss VOs but that won't stop me from buying.

To those who it speaks to, let's hope we get more from this dev soon. To those who think it's passable, there's certainly more fish in the sea.

posted in 9: The Dark Side Collector's Edition on Dec 4, 11 5:18 AM
I also beta'd and immediately placed it at the top of my to-buy list for when it came available. I'm very happy it's finally been distributed. For me, this buy is a no-brainer (though I'll check out whether the CE is worth it). Beyond all the great aspects other fishies have noted, this one really grabbed me.

posted in Resurrection, New Mexico on Dec 3, 11 2:21 PM
Overall, I thought the game was atmospheric and exciting. Even though we've seen this type of scenario before, the designers have provided an environment that's creepy and somewhat heart-pounding - reminiscent of "Haunted Halls: Green Hills Sanitarium," though not as polished.

No VO's and limited animation but it still delivers a "you are there" feel through appropriate sound effects and detailed visuals (creepy crawlers throughout - be forewarned.) I thought the **** scenes were slightly grainy but still clear. If they do get grainier as the game progresses, I may have to eat my words. But in the demo, I thought they were challenging but not impossible - and I'm not the best **** finder. The over-click penalty is generous and quick, and as others note, the hints refill pretty quickly.

It has the usual trappings that bug me like inventory objects that would do the job (an axe on an angry chicken or sealed bag, for example) but you need to find THE right one. And yes, you do a lot of traveling but the log book does a decent job of reminding you of what you need to accomplish.

The most frustrating aspect is the sparkles that you can't opt out of. And as others said, they remain even after you've looked at what they're screaming at.

This looks like a true "try before you buy." Despite some weaknesses, I found the demo fun and will be buying, but given some of the reviews of those who played through, I might end up regretting it. Ultimately though, it seems like an enjoyable ride.

posted in Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ on Oct 31, 11 3:41 PM
Already said in so many ways but those of you who didn't buy at full price, just snap this up. Don't even think twice about it. One of the best I've played - up there with Dire Grove. Not sorry I bought at full price but the turnaround to DD was pretty fast. Enjoy!

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator