Posts created by Kalavinka

posted in PuppetShow: Lost Town Collector's Edition on Jun 9, 11 9:25 AM
If you can not get past the first chapter of a book-- than is it the author's fault or is it your fault for buying the book? You have the opportunity to try all of the games and make a decision before you buy. If you made the wrong decision than it is your own fault.

Unless you are vegan than animals are being killed for your benefit. Many of the pharmaceuticals that people use (particularly hormone replacement therapy), anything with leather, gelatin (which is an ingrediant in marsh mellows, most commercial yoghurt, many desserts, chip dips), sugar (which is refined using animal bones)-- all of these things are made by exploiting animals. At least in the game- it is only imaginary.

posted in Dream Inn: Driftwood on May 30, 11 4:44 AM
So boring... I hated that annoying assistant character who would give me compliments almost every click of the mouse. I loved gardenscapes and this game was similar in terms of play, but it lacked the charm.

posted in The Tiny Bang Story on May 17, 11 9:53 AM
The fact that a mod swam through and ignored the ISSUE, while doing a generalized finslap, is probably indicative of BFG's attitude.

Hello Phatkhat,

The moderator obviously did not "get" why I flagged the stream. However, I do not have the impression that BF is unconcerned with this issue at all. I pm'd someone about this thread, and did get a response that would suggest that the concerns raised here are being addressed in a thoughtful manner.

I do agree about Mechanarium. I only was able to view the trailer to Little Bang game, but my mind automatically went to that earlir game (or at least back to other games made by Amarinita). Whether this is formal copying or mere influence-- I can not say. I think that influence is okay-- it is the point by point borrowing of specific compositional elements and forms that is objectionable here. However, the similarities that you mentioned could reflect more than this. Luckily, the line between being influenced by a work that you admire and slavishly copying it is not so thin.

Sincerely,

Kala

P.S. I agree with you in regards to Disney. If they copied from Disney than this is super bad news for the developer. That Cinderella is a real leg breaker.

posted in The Tiny Bang Story on May 17, 11 9:49 AM
Hello-- The artist who posted about this issue in his blog does not seem to have been informed that his work was used nor does he appear to be happy about it. If this issue does not bother you, than by all means purchase and enjoy the game. My point was not to get people to not buy the game or to insult people for buying it. Everyone should make an informed decision as to what they will support and will not support.

Lizzie sent me some links that have convinced me that there was some formal copying of elements from one image to the next. Whether or not this is enough to constitute infringement or whether or not more instances of formal copying occur in the game, I can not judge. However, IMO it is enough "smoke" to suggest fire, and I do thank her for sending me the info.

I hope that the artist who worked on the game or some representative from the developer will explain his/her choices in this regards. It is possible that there is a reasonable explaination and that the developer does deserve the benefit of the doubt. However, this does not mean that the concerns of the artist should not be taken seriously and do not warrent some further investigation. This would simply be jumping from one conclusion to the other. The benefit of the doubt can not automatically mean that the issue should be ignored and that people should not ask questions.

-Kala

posted in The Tiny Bang Story on May 17, 11 9:21 AM
Hello moderators,

My point in tagging this thread was not to indicate that anyone was treated with disrespect, but rather to draw this issue to the attention of BF.

Thank you,
Kala

posted in The Tiny Bang Story on May 16, 11 12:02 PM
Sorry about that.... It is just a pet peeve of mine!

posted in The Tiny Bang Story on May 16, 11 10:06 AM
Oh.... and Vervaine.... please do not "duh" me. I consider this to be rude, juvenile and un-called for. I do not even expect my 13 year old nephew to duh me. Thank you.

-Kala

posted in The Tiny Bang Story on May 16, 11 9:50 AM
Derivative works can infringe on trademark, but unless these works use a certain portion of the original artist's effort, than they do not infringe on copyright-- this is how Disney gets away with suing everyone- based on trademark, not copyright. I am not saying that what the game artist has done here is fair. Indeed in my opinion the work is too close to the ball. Unfortuneately, as I have learned... "thems the breaks."

I agree that this is an unfair appropriation, but whether or not is an infringement, I can not say. There would have to be some determination that a large enough portion of the image was copied to constitute theft, and/or that the presence of this work could impact the marketability of the original work. Establishing this would probably involve some financial investment and involve a process that may not appeal to the original artist.

I strongly agree with op in the sense that if you do not approve of what has been done here, than withhold your cash and do not buy the game. This is the best way to establish acceptability and to support the artists who feel that their work has been unfairly appropriated.

It might also warrent some investigation by Big Fish. They do not even allow people to post quotes that are in the public domain in the forums, and so it seems likely that they would object to the image borrowing. I am quite sure that they have an entire department devoted to rights management-- they must have. If they withdraw their support for this game than this would ensure stronger ethics in the future.

-Kala

P.S. Thank you for the links. I do agree that there has been some formal copying from one source to the next.

posted in The Tiny Bang Story on May 15, 11 1:06 PM
This is not stealing in a copyright sense... It is considered to be a derived work. People do this to my artwork all the time.

posted in Our Worst Fears: Stained Skin on Apr 18, 11 6:45 AM
Hello,

I also suffer from chronic pain. It is something that I have to conquer so that it will make me stronger and not weaker. Other people may have different things in life that they have to deal with on a daily basis-- for me one of the things that I deal with happens to be chronic pain. Luckily, I have more power than any of my deamons. Having said this, I do not think that people need to feel guilty or need to micro-monitor their posts to eliminate the possibility that they will offend one of the thousands of people who may read it and who may read something else into the post. I do not think that anyone here posted with ill feeling or with ill intent-- Most probably did not assume that their posts were at all offensive. I certainly was not thinking this way when I posted about the bad tatoos. To me, the tattoos were intensely silly, and I wanted to express this idea. Let us not forget that the character in question is a one dimesional, poorly defined work of fiction-- who happened to mention pain and suicide at one point in some silly video game. Why read so much into this fictional character but not give real life people the benefit of the doubt and the integrity to have their own thoughts and opinions?

I wish you well.
Kala

posted in Our Worst Fears: Stained Skin on Apr 17, 11 2:51 PM
Hello,

I do not think that people are criticizing the chronic pain part or are trying to make people feel bad. Many may be sympathetic to the cause of chronic pain, but unsympathetic towards chronic pain as a motivator for suicide. This does not mean that these people lack an awareness of the true impact or import of chronic pain or that they are ignorant in regards to the life altering nature of chronic pain.

Personally, I do not think that I would ever commit suicide over pain, hunger or something of the body-- Because I feel as I do does not mean that I am unsympathetic to the thoughts that you have expressed, but merely that I can also acknowledge the validity of looking at things from the other side of the issue. This also does not mean that I am unsympathetic to people who are affected by suicide. The processes and feelings that lead up to suicide and the aftermath of suicide must be difficult beyond comprehension. Also, I am empathetic in regards to the experience of pain and am also informed as to the social and psychological impact of suffering from chronic pain. Despite the fact that I know how hard it is, I still feel as I do.

I played the game for about 20 minutes and did not really like it. I did not like the aesthetics of it. This does not mean that I am unsympathetic- but merely that I have different tastes in gaming. I simply did not like the game as much as I have liked other games-- I am however glad that you are enjoying the game. Perhaps, I will find one that I like.

I wish you well.

-Kala

posted in Our Worst Fears: Stained Skin on Apr 17, 11 2:01 PM
Please try to understand.......and walk in another's shoes. Constant pain isn't a joke, something to get over. It is a very real reality, and some have to suffer for a lot longer than they should with it.....and depending on the pain levels and the doctor care levels.....it can be very wearing.....

Seems to me like you are preaching to the choir... There are lots of people who post here who also suffer from chronic discomfort of one sort or another.

I wish you well.
Kala

posted in Our Worst Fears: Stained Skin on Apr 17, 11 1:38 PM
I enjoyed the uniqueness of the first puzzle, but when it showed that he had a gun and wanted to end his horrible tattoo pain with it/suicide..........well that ended it for me.
A no finish the trial and a no buy for me.

If someone put flower tatoos on me-- I would want to shoot myself in the head too-- or better yet I would want to shoot myself in the tatoo. Why flowers? Why not something a bit more masculine like unicorns, butterflies or tropical fish? or better yet, what is wrong with the classic "I love mom."

And yes, it is a rather pathetic to contemplate suicide over a tatoo. Gee if that were the case then half the people I know would be offing themselves over misguided body art.

-Kala

You seem to be moaning about it--

posted in Hallowed Legends: Samhain Collector's Edition on Mar 10, 11 8:37 AM
Buddha has nothing to do with Pagen beliefs. Buddhism is a religious entity in and of itself. Please do not generalize and lump the Buddha into any religious tradition that happens to be non-Christian. Indeed the Buddha walked the earth at least two hundred years before Christ walked the earth. He taught the principles of wisdom and compassion- and has nothing to do with current trends involving hunky vampires and should not be placed in the same category.-Kala

posted in Dark Parables: The Exiled Prince Collector's Edition on Mar 3, 11 11:10 AM
I am glad that it worked for you.

posted in Dark Parables: The Exiled Prince Collector's Edition on Mar 3, 11 5:18 AM
Why disgusted? Why not simply frustrated?

posted in Charlaine Harris: Dying for Daylight on Feb 13, 11 5:11 AM
DLK- Please do not apologize-- you did not offend me and should not have offended anyone else. Yes, I do believe what I wrote, I have spent enough time in this environment to know that there are some pretty weak-minded people here who will react to any hint that you might not agree with them or that BF is catering to someone other than them. Indeed, the fact that you felt the need to apologize so quickly for saying something so banal is evidence of this. I wish you well and accept your criticism. If I am harsh-- so be it, whether I am harsh or nice some people are so hypersensitive that the reaction is the same. Why should I even try? Maybe I am channeling Dahlia? Also, I never said (nor do I believe) that the entire pond is weak minded (collectively- yes- sometimes) but only that many individuals displayed this particular quality,

posted in Charlaine Harris: Dying for Daylight on Feb 12, 11 9:16 AM
There are members who are sensitive about the Hokey Pokey.

Yes Snaphiss. There are people who will choose to buy the game, choose to play the game, and then spill lots kbs explaining why the game was evil (because of the seductive leather wearing vampire and sexy music) or offensive to them (or how they are somehow abused by some aspect of game play) and why the game should be appropriate for children (who do not have the attention span to play these sorts of games anyway). If you debate the issue-- the person will get offended, tell on you to the moderators, and the moderators will send you a pm telling you that you are harassing the other poster (regardless of how reasonable you try to be). There are lots of week (nothing offensive in the word week) minded people who post here. Some days it is like the kindergarten peoples' tolerances are so low. IMO- warnings are always good. You think that people could figure things out and make good decisions for themselves.... but yet....

-Kala

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator