Posts created by RyeMcLaughlin

posted in PuppetShow: Mystery of Joyville ™ on Apr 3, 10 3:14 PM
This is a great game, but way too short. I still have 10 minutes left in the demo and I'm half way through. This is a shame, as the graphics are very detailed, the hidden objects are appropriate to the time and place, and the music is not annoying.

The hidden objects are of a easy to medium difficulty level. Nothing is too dark, or impossible to find without a hint. There is a walkthrough, but the only time I looked at it was to find out how many chapters there are. The mini games so far have been interesting, but not very difficult.

The storyline is good, lots of atmosphere, but not overly creepy. I'll put it in my "games to buy someday" folder, but I can wait.

I did have a problem starting the game. I loaded it entered my name and hit play. A character starts talking and then a screen appeared with 4 choices, Continue, Exit and 2 others (can't remember). I couldn't get past this until I quit and restarted. Then it all worked fine.

posted in Hidden Expedition: Amazon ™ on Mar 29, 10 5:08 AM
You should probably remove your email address as the forum is searchable from google.

Sorry about your frustrations with the selection for the ipod. We Mac users have been complaining about this for some time.

posted in Yard Sale Hidden Treasures: Sunnyville on Mar 22, 10 12:47 PM
You hold down the control key and while clicking.

Welcome to the Pond Sunshine_gal23. There is a Mac Forum thread that you can find on the Chit-Chat Corner page. It has been stickied, which means that it stay near the top of the list. It's a very long thread with many conversations. We are trying to get our own section on the site, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

posted in Many Years Ago on Mar 21, 10 8:19 AM
I have never played this type of game before (not even the Sims), so I needed to use the walkthrough to figure out things at first. I was gathering supplies for the water tower when the demo ended. I was surprised to have enjoyed the game. What's more, it didn't crash or freeze and everything seemed to work correctly! I have had many problems with this developer's games (Hidden Wonders of the Depths and Steve the Sheriff) in the past, but this one worked well. I have an iMac with Snow Leopard.

I can see it getting frantic as more people arrive or are born. You are constantly checking to make sure you have enough resources, everyone is busy, collecting experience coins that you can use to make your people work more quickly. People can get sick and even die. You are the chief, and need to remember to keep eating the longevity flower.

There are many mini games, but I had only unlocked one, a match 3. You need to move the tiger to the treasure chest. Winning each level gets you more resources (food or supplies). I played five levels. There were no powerups. (It was just OK.) Once you unlock them, you can play as many levels as you want.

I can see wasting many many hours on this game. I was totally absorbed. Might get annoying after a while though. It's in my maybe pile.

posted in EcoRescue: Project Rainforest on Mar 21, 10 6:34 AM
Somewhat disappointing Hidden Object Game. Should really be placed in the Kids Category. Very easy.

Pros - Ran fine on my iMac with Snow Leopard (with one exception). Music and sound effects are good. Would be great in a classroom setting as the storyline is not complicated, so you could play for a few minutes, quit and easily get started again. Untimed.

Cons - Picture is very grainy. Options menu (which can only be accessed by quitting the game) suggests those with wide screen monitors play in windowed mode. This is still grainy, but small. Game doesn't remember player, so you have to click on Load Game, player name and then click on Load Profile to start game. Hints do not start out fully loaded. In the one spot the difference puzzles, the differences are very subtle, unlike the tutorial level where they were completely obvious. In the jigsaw puzzle mode, the Right click option did not work for me. You have to use the space bar while holding down on the mouse button to rotate the pieces.

Not the worst game I've ever played, but didn't even want to finish the demo. Nice idea for a game, that could have been much better.

posted in Mystery Stories: Berlin Nights on Mar 19, 10 5:22 PM
I have played the game for about 45 minutes. I've gotten to level 20 out of 74, so I have about 3 hours left. It's a cute game, not difficult, but lots of different ways of finding the things in your list, and some interactive items. I've been skipping through the movies - which aren't actually movies, just pictures with word bubbles.

It is mildly glitchy for me. It hasn't actually crashed yet, but it slows down sometimes at the end of levels and when choosing the next level. It also stutters occaisionally. I have an iMac with Snow Leopard and the ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics card, so I shouldn't be seeing the colorful pinwheel when the game is calculating my score. And yes, I have all the latest software updates.

I like the game a lot. I've been ignoring the plot line as I find the characters annoying (would have been better with drawings like Nightshift Legacy instead of photos). It will be in my Games I Want Someday folder, but not something I need to purchase tonight. I'll also want to finish my trial to see if any more technical issues develop.

Edited for grammer

posted in Relic Hunt on Mar 11, 10 5:28 AM
Not a bad game. I liked the storyline with the exception of Spoiler: the sudden falling in love with a rescued girl who is left behind. That plot point takes about 5 seconds of the game, and she is never referred to again. Unecessary and annoying. It would be a good beginner adventure HOG. It worked well on my iMac with Snow Leopard, the graphics are nice, there are different things to do on each island. It was very easy however, and I finished the whole thing within the one hour demo time.

posted in Flower Paradise on Mar 5, 10 6:18 AM
I just finished the demo of Flower Paradise. It's a Match 3 a bit like Fishdom, with an extra way of clearing tiles by making rectangles with matching corners. I finished the bronze level of the first of three gardens, so I should have plenty of playing time left.

The developers seemed to be going for very relaxing. The music is not great, but it can be ignored. I personally wish that the sound effects for the powerups were not so wimpy. IMHO an earthquake should be a little louder and more dramatic, but I like explosions.

You make matches to get money to create a garden. You choose flowers, animals and decor. The animals move around and the cherry trees sway in a breeze. For some reason you can't put more than one koi in the pond.

The powerups fit the game setting well. You get a thunderstorm, earthquake, tornado, rain, and sun, which are set against thorns, ice and stone.

It's not terribly challenging, but something light and pretty to counteract the snow and ice outside my window right now. It's a keeper for me.

posted in Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Persian Carpet on Feb 22, 10 6:33 AM
I just tried about 15 minutes of the game, but first I had to spend quite a while to get the screen resolution to work properly. There are 9 (?) choices and you have to quit and restart the game each time. After the first couple, I had to start over and write notes with each choice as none were great.

The game might be interesting, but the music is irritating, the hidden objects were either completely obvious (in the tutorial levels) or impossible to see (in the first garden level). If the cursor goes to close to the edge of the screen the game minimizes into the dock. That might be useful if you were playing along with a walkthrough, but if a game is so difficult that it is assumed that you will require a walkthrough, then it's too much like work for me.

I like the theory of the game play, with hidden objects to put together and examine for clues, and so far the objects are all appropriate for the time and place. (Hidden Spoiler) However in the first scene, there is a painting that has been covered with "water colours". You have to wash off the painting to find one underneath.Watercolors are translucent. You could never use them to cover up an oil painting. Acrylics maybe, but they hadn't been invented yet. Not critical, but if you are trying to be accurate with the setting, do it completely.

I won't be even finishing the demo of this one. Pity.

posted in Empress of the Deep: The Darkest Secret on Feb 20, 10 6:27 AM
I tried out the demo this morning. I really liked the game. Thank you for putting in a skip for the mini games. I was totally stuck on one. I'll be buying this one. Also, thanks from a Mac user for having it out for us on the same day as the PC one. That is very rare and very appreciated.

posted in Empress of the Deep: The Darkest Secret on Feb 20, 10 5:57 AM
Just finished the demo for Empress of the Deep. It's a keeper for me. The HOG parts have items that are a little different, not too dark or too tiny to see, with hints that refill reasonably quickly. The mini puzzles have a skip (YES!!!). Some are quite easy, some are challenging, one I just skipped. It would be nice if the skip would show you the answer, I would have liked to know where I was going wrong with the puzzle I skipped. The storyline shows promise, although the crazy/evil sister plot that seems to be developing is annoying. The music is pleasant, the artwork is good, if a little grainy on my screen.

There are things to collect on the way. I have already gotten 5 of the 10 flowers and 4 of the 10 orbs. When I look at the map I don't think I am halfway through the game. I hope not. I like the star that appears in the upper left to show if you are finished with a section, and each step of the game is a section. I'll be buying this one.

Not only does it work flawlessly on my iMac, it came out the same day as the PC version! I'm stunned. Thanks

posted in Empress of the Deep: The Darkest Secret on Feb 20, 10 5:53 AM
Works great on my iMac.

posted in Empress of the Deep: The Darkest Secret on Feb 19, 10 8:17 PM
That's fabulous! The artwork on your site is really impressive. Looking forward to it.

posted in Empress of the Deep: The Darkest Secret on Feb 19, 10 8:09 PM
Any chance of a Mac version?

posted in Curse of the Pharaoh: Tears of Sekhmet on Feb 18, 10 7:42 PM
The Same Thing happened to me. The game just ends. I have looked at the walkthrough. It seems like that is what is supposed to happen, but it's really annoying and is a disappointing finish to an otherwise nice HOG.

Mac here as well. I looked at all the reviews, but they were just for the demo.

posted in Hidden Wonders of the Depths 2 on Feb 10, 10 3:12 PM
Usually in Options there are separate choices for sound effects and music. There aren't here which is a real shame as the music is very very repetitive and not to my personal taste. The previous version had the same problem.

posted in Zulu's Zoo on Feb 4, 10 8:13 PM
Actually it doesn't say that you have to click on the name first in the instructions at the beginning of the North American Animals level. It might have the very first time this level is played, but it didn't at the Director level. As this type of game does not have a very involved plot, you can put it down for a few days while playing something else. (At least that is how I have been playing it)

Unusual instructions should be repeated. Other than that, it's a very good game.

posted in Curse of the Pharaoh: Napoleon's Secret ™ on Jan 24, 10 5:00 PM
I too have the mac version and can not get the last boat piece in the bottle. The cursor keep jumping around. I have tried it with two different mice.

Edited to add

It finally worked. I changed to window mode (which seemed to eliminate the cursor jumping around - although it may be a coincidence). Then I move the piece in and kept trying to put it in place by moving it over and down just a hair until it locked into place. I was kind of bouncing it along.

posted in Avenue Flo on Jan 12, 10 7:32 PM
Wasn't going to look at this when it came up as the Mac TGT. I thought it was a TM, but read a recommendation. This is a great adventure game! I will definitely be buying it. The mini games are different and challenging without being impossible. The interactions with the various characters are fun. I was very pleasantly surprised with this game.

:(
 posted in Hidden Expedition ® - Devil's Triangle on Jan 8, 10 11:57 AM
Kymberlie wrote: .....The ad for this only went to PC users as far as I know.....

I am a Mac only user, and I got the Game of the Year announcement. Perhaps they send the PC emails out to everyone, and Mac users get an extra?

Kymberlie wrote:My opinion is that if a game here is offered to PC users for 40% off (or 20% off, or whatever the current promotion happens to be), the same should be offered to Mac users. It's only fair.

Seriously though, you might want to give customer support a try. They're very helpful, and maybe the whole thing is just an oversight. *Being optimisitic*.

Thanks for supporting the Mac users. We sometimes get tired of our second class citizen status, although things are slowly getting better.

Checking with customer service is always a good idea.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator