Posts created by heidid

posted in Wonderland Adventures: Mysteries of Fire Island on Feb 24, 09 8:48 AM
It all depends on which part you are stuck on. There are 3 distinct portions of this puzzle...make sure you save often. I used trial & error on the 2nd and 3rd parts - wasn't sure what the effect would be of different actions, so I saved & then tried each possibility in sequence. This is especially useful in the 2nd part (trying to get the key that's between 2 buttons). I don't have any other specific hints.

If all you want is the solution, try checking youtube. They have quite a few videos showing the exact solutions to the problems.

posted in Wonderland Adventures: Mysteries of Fire Island on Feb 23, 09 3:40 PM
If you wait until the crab stops (this is on the second, very short, path) then you are out of luck. When you have the spring positioned correctly and your crab is ready to run north, follow all the way to the edge of the water (just make sure you don't get hit by the spring). As long as it doesn't have time to stop, it will run all the way to the end.

As for me, I'm (sort of) stuck on the next screen of this puzzle - I can get either the gems or the star, but can't figure out how to get both with only one turtle. Anyone have a hint? I'd prefer a very general tip in the right direction, as opposed to the exact solution. Thanks!

posted in Wonderland Adventures: Mysteries of Fire Island on Feb 23, 09 2:40 PM
To put it a bit more simply, the key to this puzzle is making sure you can get back & forth from the correct slot on the right side of the screen.

One turtle will need to be above the line of light-colored pillars, and the other needs to be below them, in line with both the upper one and with the slot you are aiming for.

Once you look at the puzzle from this point of view, use a bit of trial & error to figure out where your plants need to go, in order for the turtles to stop where you need them to.

Happy puzzling...

posted in Wonderland Adventures: Mysteries of Fire Island on Feb 21, 09 6:36 PM
If you land right next to the crab, he will move three spaces away to the next "pillar. So you can force him to take an "s-curve" type path through the scene. I saved & re-started this puzzle right at the beginning and used a lot of trial & error to get to him. You will almost certainly need at least 3 teleports (I used all of mine and came out exactly) if you want to get the gold coins in the corners, as well.

This one is tough, but if you observe the crab's movements a few times, it helps. For example, if you only go close enough to make him move, he won't end up in the right place. Keep moving until you are right before where he started. He will move to the next "pillar," and you can then move forward one more space without making him move.

I hope this helps & isn't too confusing. Try solving this first without worrying about the coins, and analyze the patterns...you should be able to figure out how to get the coins, too, eventually. Good luck!

posted in Totem Tribe on Feb 4, 09 8:25 PM
when the background music keeps getting stuck in your head, and you find yourself humming it at dinner.

"What's that song, hon? I don't recognize it.?

oops...

posted in Totem Tribe on Feb 1, 09 2:46 PM
7 of the early levels of the game have coins hidden, including the Yeti. Sometimes the coin is in a chest, other times they are simply in hard-to-spot places on the map. Make sure to explore each island thoroughly, even if you have accomplished the main goals there.

Once all 7 are in your inventory, you can go back to the marketplace on Yeti island & talk to them; after this you will be able to build them (marketplaces, not coins, that is) for yourself.

From the main "planet" screen (where you can pick which island to visit), you can also click on your treasure chest. It will show you how many coins you have.

(Possible spoiler - the coins are shown in order of their appearance, left to right...so if you're missing one over to the left, you need to go to an earlier island, and so on.)

There are a few places online where you can get major spoilers as to where each coin is hidden, but that sort of spoils the fun of looking. Hope this helps - good luck!

posted in Westward III: Gold Rush on Jan 8, 09 4:59 PM
Which fish? Can you give a few more details, like which town you are in, what you need the fish for (are you talking about the Red Snapper, for instance), etc.

I do remember there being a fish in the pool at the NW corner of the screen for the second town. If you can't fish for it from the edge then you have to walk through the water. If there's a bridge in your way, then you'll have to blow it up, so it might not be worth the trouble.

Hope this helps!

posted in Westward III: Gold Rush on Jan 8, 09 4:56 PM
I don't know what buildings you have, but if you have either the sheriff's office or the trading post, do some of the mini quests. You can earn lots of gold that way. Good luck! If you have a Trading Post you can also sell wood or food for money. If you have a tannery (automatic with one of the playable characters) then you can go hunting & earn gold for animal pelts.

Hope one of these helps!

posted in Westward III: Gold Rush on Jan 8, 09 4:38 PM
Later in the game, you will also have the "Outpost" quests...in the second main town, once you have created your outpost platform and employed someone there. This is very similar to the same set of quests in Westward II - gold, food, and lumber sources.

posted in Westward III: Gold Rush on Jan 8, 09 4:37 PM
You will get a few experience points any time you build something for the first time, so if you have any that you haven't built yet, do that as long as you have the resources.

posted in Westward III: Gold Rush on Jan 8, 09 4:32 PM
One thing that helps with the Earthquake valley is to purchase the fortification for your buildings (at the lumber mill, I believe). This will reduce the damage.

Next, don't worry about building luxuries until you have the other requirements taken care of. I used hotels instead of cabins where possible, so I could get happiness and living quarters together. Concentrate on building up lots of resources before you build many buildings. The fewer things you have around to repair, the better.

I hope this helps you. Good luck - this is one of the most frustrating levels, but it's a great feeling when you finish it!

posted in Westward III: Gold Rush on Jan 8, 09 4:27 PM
The bank vault is a separate quest. You'll take along the mechanic and your gunfighters. Look around for someone w/ a "!" over his/her head. It's been a while since I've been at that point in the game, so I can't tell you who to look for exactly.

It's not the bank in your own town, though, if that's what you were worried about.

posted in Forgotten Lands: First Colony ™ on Nov 15, 08 1:10 PM
Wow - so many good suggestions. Thanks so much!

posted in Forgotten Lands: First Colony ™ on Nov 11, 08 3:47 PM
For any others out there trying to get a yellow flag: Explorers give you much better wood production than Scouts or Merchants, so upgrading a mine is definitely worth the trouble. Start replacing your less productive citizens. Leaders are (of course) better yet, but it takes longer to get your Markets upgraded to 4 stars. It's a tricky balance.

posted in Forgotten Lands: First Colony ™ on Nov 11, 08 3:45 PM
I'm somewhere between A & B, actually - I think the art is good, and it does not detract from game play. Could it be improved? Probably, but I like it the way it is. Especially when I note that some games that are more graphic-intensive don't run as well on my laptop.

I'm less focused on graphics & art in a game than I am playability, story line, etc.

If I have to pick one choice, it should be A, I suppose, because I don't think there are any changes necessary.

posted in Forgotten Lands: First Colony ™ on Nov 11, 08 3:42 PM
A scholar placed at any building provides 10 upgrade points per production cycle. At special buildings, where there are only 3 spaces, you will want 2 scholars and a defender (usually). You have the option of placing 3 scholars and trying to get the job done faster, but if there is a clash there, it's generally slower in the long run.

If you have the chance, keep an eye on how many points are still needed on buildings. For instance, you may have 2 scholars working, but at the end you only need 5 or 10 points - you can move one scholar early, before the upgrade is actually finished, and get a head start on upgrading a different building.

Another tip: Make a note of where different units produce wood. You can get a surprising amount from markets, for instance, and it can really help if you need just a bit more in order to build a lumber mill.

posted in Forgotten Lands: First Colony ™ on Nov 10, 08 10:28 AM
Keep in mind that your explorers generate food...so unless you have defenders on every building, your food reserves will drop as soon as there is a clash where explorers are working. This happened to me a few times before I figured out the problem - mainly because I was used to being stingy with defenders on non-farm buildings unless I had plenty of gold.

posted in Red Cross - Emergency Response Unit on Oct 10, 08 9:13 PM
Glad to help, bilbliophile (I love books, too!). I just finished the game on hard - I think the toughest level to pass was the flood scenario in Mexico. I must have restarted that one about 8 or 9 times before I finally finished it within the time limit. I discovered that the helicopter is very handy for evacuating people to shelters, including picking up missing persons, although occasionally I hit a glitch where it wouldn't land at a particular spot. Frustrating, but a very fun game.

By the way, upgrading Flash on my computer helped a lot with the random "freeze" bugs I was getting.

posted in Red Cross - Emergency Response Unit on Oct 6, 08 7:03 PM
OK, just in case anyone else had the same problem...

Airplanes can only be used to drop supplies. Helicopters can only be used to deliver teams and/or supplies to buildings, such as the prison, medical clinics, hospitals, schools, admin buildings, etc. My trouble came when I tried to use a copter to help a group of people who did not have the "prepare school" or "prepare clinic" option.

Hope this helps!

posted in Westward II: Heroes of the Frontier on Oct 6, 08 2:12 PM
I posted my gunfighters at the far right side of the screen, so they will catch the bad guys well before they show up at the mine itself. It helps a bit. It does get rather frustrating, I agree. Hope this helps a bit. Sometimes it's worth restarting (since you haven't gotten very far) and think through a strategy that will help you get the sheriff's office as soon as possible.

Good luck!

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator