Posts created by RainbowExplorer

posted in Celtic Lore: Sidhe Hills on Apr 25, 11 10:39 AM
Claypool wrote:I am searching for the walkthrough. Any help available?

Go to the website listed in this first posting, by rara3462! Just be careful there, as viruses & malware abound there, in my experience.

posted in Celtic Lore: Sidhe Hills on Apr 25, 11 10:34 AM
onetree wrote:What bloody stairs? Wish I'd of spent somebody elses dime on tis abomination

There are two stained-glass murals, a left one and a right one, with stairs leading up to the portal and the end of the rainbow. You must put colored glass pieces into the two stained-glass murals, before you will be permitted to walk up the steps, collect additional items, and, eventually, get to the end of the rainbow with all of the supplies that you need. Once you stand at the end of the rainbow, you'll be transported up through the portal.

You cannot leave the town and get to the end of the rainbow area, until you have completed all of the tasks at the Engineer Gremlin's home and in the Main Street Square. Best wishes! I know you'll get there.

BTW, I spoke with Customer Service staff on Friday, April 22. They said a new "fix" for this game is coming, since so many gamers are having stuttering/shaking/freezing problems with it.

posted in Fallen Shadows on Apr 23, 11 4:08 PM
Wow! Complaints about everything under the sun, moon, and stars can be found when one reads through these reviews! For some, it's too fast, for others, too slow. For some, too grisly/gruesome/dark, for others, not sinister/horrifying/evil enough. For some, the HOGs and mini-games were too easy, for others they were too hard. I don't know how any game developer could make heads or tails of anything, reading through these remarks!

Having said all of that, I will share my perspective. I am not a fast player, though I am quite good at HOGs and most mini-games. The dialogue, storyline, and graphics get a lot of my attention, since I "stop to smell the roses" and never rush my way through any game. Thus, I've never once completed an entire demo trial during the alloted time period (regardless of whether it's an hour or less than that).

I've never been to New Orleans before but this game sure played into my stereotypes of what it's like - a fact which bothers me a lot. I don't like stereotyping people or places, especially when they are portrayed as "backward", "corrupt", "heavily into the occult and hyper-religiosity", "ignorant", "perpetual thieves", and lacking in "basic common sense".

Who in their right mind would spend lots of time in a bedroom, let along SLEEP in one, where the main ceiling beam is broken, the roof is actively leaking in multiple places, and all sorts of childrens toys share the space in an elderly man's bed? If the front gate and door were always locked with keyless locks, how did anyone get in to spray paint the house, put the voodoo ritual stuff out (including always burning candles), put out buckets to catch the dripping ceiling water, and keep fresh fruit in the house?

This game is a definite "no", for me, not only because of it's intense occult and dark, stereotypic themes, but, also, because it expected me to turn my brain off, in a "real world" setting. This is a real city that experienced a real event, yet there was so much "fantasy" stuff thrown into this story, it may as well have been set on a planet in another galaxy! I can't help but wonder how people who live or lived in New Orleans, would feel about having their city portrayed this way? I don't think I would appreciate it, if I lived there.

posted in Fallen Shadows on Apr 23, 11 2:59 PM
ru
PowderMonkey wrote:Just out of curiosity - why do people complain about the length of trial games? I mean, for me, anyway, trial is for me to find out if I like/would buy the game or not. And I dare say that is BF's reason for offering us a trial. Of course, if you only had 15 mins to find out, it would be too little, but 40, 50 or 60 mins, surely it doesn't matter? What's that about being promised a full hour? Surely no-one can finish most games within the hour, anyway?
I am not asking this to denigrate anyone, I am just curious - why does it matter?

This is an excellent question, PowderMonkey! I've asked myself the same question countless times. When I first started playing computer games, I was told that the PRIMARY reason for the demo trial was to see whether the game was compatible with one's computer system, or not. The secondary reason for the demo trial is to help the buyer decide whether it is the type of game they are interested in, or not.

To me, the stated PRIMARY reason for the demos is the most important one. There have been a couple of times I've purchased a game, without demo trialing it, only to discover that I have a game I LOVE, but cannot get it to function with my particular computer (for countless, unknown reasons). That taught me to always demo a game, usually for the full time period that is allowed. I am never in any rush to get through a demo or game, thus I've never once completed the entire demo trial, during the alloted time period.

I wasn't aware that some people are charged for their Internet usage by the amount of mbs they download. I've never heard of this type of payment plan before. I have unlimited Internet usage, with my plan, however, after I have played my demo trial to the end of the time period I am allotted, the entire game is NOT completely downloaded a second time (after I've bought the game), for me - merely a short, added on section, which takes a couple of minutes to load (via my fiber optic broadband service) gets downloaded onto my Game Manager, so I can go right back to playing the game with very little interruption. My guess that there are a lot of variations like this, from computer to computer, and from one ISP company and plan, to another.

What I have always wondered is why there are so many people eager to brag about how quickly they have finished a game? I want to savor the story and experience for as long as possible, not rush through it.

posted in Kuros on Apr 22, 11 6:29 PM
comicseller wrote:HI, I have traced the symbols on the door with the wand, several times, but the door will not open. Anyone encounter this problem or do I need to contact CS?
Thanks for any help! I studied the walkthrough and I did what it said to do and still no luck. The game is Kuros.
Jackie

Hi there!

My name is Rainbow Explorer and I recently purchased the game "Kuros". From reading through the postings on the "Kuros" Forum, I saw that you had major trouble getting the four markings on the door of the underground burrow (about an eighth of the way into the game), to light up, when you traced them with your "magic wand", so that the door would open and you could leave. I've been having the same problem for the past couple of months.

So far, I've never been successful at getting any more than two of the markings/symbols to light up, and several times I've never been able to get any of them to light up. Thus, I've never been able to move on with the game. I've tried every strategy I can think of to get past this point but have been unsuccessful. I was wondering if you ever made it past this block or not, and if you did make it, how did you get it to work for you?

I've contacted Customer Service and they don't have any experience with this game so suggested that I post a question here on the Forum. Since the game is so old, I don't know how many people will actually READ this Forum anymore, other than new game players. However, I would be very grateful for any suggestions you might be willing to share with me. Thanks!

Rainbow Explorer

posted in Kuros on Apr 22, 11 6:26 PM
comicseller wrote:HI, I have traced the symbols on the door with the wand, several times, but the door will not open. Anyone encounter this problem or do I need to contact CS?
Thanks for any help! I studied the walkthrough and I did what it said to do and still no luck. The game is Kuros.
Jackie

Hi there!

My name is Rainbow Explorer and I recently purchased the game "Kuros". From reading through the postings on the "Kuros" Forum, I saw that you had major trouble getting the four markings on the door of the underground burrow (about an eighth of the way into the game), to light up, when you traced them with your "magic wand", so that the door would open and you could leave. I've been having the same problem for the past couple of months.

So far, I've never been successful at getting any more than two of the markings/symbols to light up, and several times I've never been able to get any of them to light up. Thus, I've never been able to move on with the game. I've tried every strategy I can think of to get past this point but have been unsuccessful. I was wondering if you ever made it past this block or not, and if you did make it, how did you get it to work for you?

I've contacted Customer Service and they don't have any experience with this game so suggested that I post a question here on the Forum. Since the game is so old, I don't know how many people will actually READ this Forum anymore, other than new game players. However, I would be very grateful for any suggestions you might be willing to share with me. Thanks!

Rainbow Explorer

posted in Celtic Lore: Sidhe Hills on Apr 21, 11 11:04 PM
I bought the game today and LOVED it! At least until I travel up through the end of the rainbow, via the portal. At that point, I've had nothing but one "freezing/shuddering" episode after another, where I could get my cursor to move, but not pick up anything. Now I'm well and truly stuck, so will have to wait to do a "chat" with Customer Service staff tomorrow.

The first four chapters, I could see everything fine, was a bit irritated that the sister even bothered to go after her brother (since he was such an obvious brat - he should be grateful SHE was his sister and not me! LOL ), and adored the colorful, whimsical, creative graphics! The Sid characters weren't the Leprechauns I was expecting, in this Celtic tale. I adore legends from different cultures, so was delighted that the put this one into computer game format.

The engineer Gremlin with his inventive house was another source of delight, to me. That sort of imagination, along with several of the very unusual types of puzzles that were offered, kept my attention, until the technical difficulties made me want to pull my hair out! I can't understand why the protagonist seemed to know so little about her own grandmother, though it appears that they once lived in the same house. Overall, it's a bright and cheerful game (at least so far), and I'm delighted I bought it. Now, I just have to coax my computer to enjoy it as much as I do!

posted in Celtic Lore: Sidhe Hills on Apr 21, 11 10:39 PM
Gajillion wrote:I keep trying to light the flint on the rock for the torch. How do I get past the trees???
I have a flint rock and a torch but can't figure out how to do it.

Once you find both flint rocks, you hit them together in the Inventory area. That will cause them to enlarge greatly and set the torch aflame. The flame will convince the trees to back-off.

posted in Celtic Lore: Sidhe Hills on Apr 21, 11 10:37 PM
nypitterpat wrote:Could someone tell where I could find the lemon juicer?
Thanks

It's outside of Dragonette's House, on the walkway, near the outdoor pantry/shelf area.

posted in Celtic Lore: Sidhe Hills on Apr 21, 11 10:31 PM
"bamc wrote:
Same problem. Never had a game freeze up. Cursor will move, but can't pick up any of the **** items."

The game worked beautifully, for me, until I took the portal up at the end of the rainbow (beginning of chapter 5). Once I arrived at the bar-looking place (filled with flowers and Lalgag, the big bat), my cursor began repeatedly freezing. Since the protagonist told me to use something in my Inventory section, to appease the bat, I attempted, countless times, to use all three items - the magnifying lens, the coin, and the clover. I couldn't get any of those three items to move out of the Inventory area, no matter what I did.

So, I uninstalled the entire game, cleaned out all of my caches, then reinstalled the game and still no luck getting the bat's cooperation (he just kept telling me to leave, then would freeze into positions). I went to another website and looked up the Walkthrough there. From the information I gathered, I was informed that the item I should give the bat was the clover. So, I returned to the game and after approximately 15 minutes of solely concentrating on trying to get the clover out of the Inventory, I FINALLY got it to the bat who accepted the clover, then told me to collect all of the flowers, in order to create a potion.

Collecting the flowers should have taken me no more than 2 - 3 minutes, at most, to do. Instead, it took another 15 - 20 minutes to collect them all, as my computer continued to work in slow motion. Once all of the flowers were collected and placed into the Inventory section, I couldn't get the flowers back out of that Inventory, so that I could give them to the bat. As the person above me wrote, each time the screen froze up, my cursor could still move, but nothing else could or would move. Thus, I can't give the flowers to the bat to make the potion I need.

I went through my "Add or Remove Program" Section and cleaned out a whole bunch of other games, hoping that having some extra memory might help. It didn't make any difference and I have enough memory on my machine that It should have worked just fine, without doing that step. I was just desparate to finish the game. Why a game would work just fine, for the first half, then repeatedly freeze, during the second half of it, confuses me a great deal. It sounds like I'm not the only person having freezing issues, but I don't get why it was working just FINE for so long, then started acting nuts!

posted in Celtic Lore: Sidhe Hills on Apr 21, 11 10:17 PM
sammi21 wrote:I'm in the gremlin's house and can't find the last clock piece (14/15)..My hint button has disappearedand I'm stuck!

Right bookcase has 3.

On or propped up against the central large machine there are 7.

On or propped up against the front railing are 3.

On the left-hand side of the back wall are 2.

posted in Celtic Lore: Sidhe Hills on Apr 21, 11 9:53 PM
bamc wrote:Same problem. Never had a game freeze up. Cursor will move, but can't pick up any of the **** items.

The game worked beautifully, for me, until I took the portal up at the end of the rainbow. Once I arrived at the bar looking place (filled with flowers and Lalgag, the big bat), my cursor began repeatedly freezing. Since the protagonist told me to use something in my Inventory section, to appease the bat, I attempted, countless times, to use all three items - the magnifying lens, the coin, and the clover. I couldn't get any of those three items to move out of the Inventory area, no matter what I did.

So, I uninstalled the entire game, cleaned out all of my caches, then reinstalled the game and still no luck getting the bat's cooperation (he just kept telling me to leave, then would freeze into positions). I went to another website and looked up the Walkthrough there. From the information I gathered, I was informed that the item I should give the bat was the clover. So, I returned to the game and after approximately 15 minutes of solely concentrating on trying to get the clover out of the Inventory, I FINALLY got it to the bat who accepted the clover, then told me to collect all of the flowers, in order to create a potion.

Collecting the flowers should have taken me no more than 2 - 3 minutes, at most, to do. Instead, it took another 15 - 20 minutes to collect them all, as my computer continued to work in slow motion. Once all of the flowers were collected and placed into the Inventory section, I couldn't get the flowers back out of that Inventory, so that I could give them to the bat. As the person above me wrote, each time the screen froze up, my cursor could still move, but nothing else could or would move. Thus, I can't give the flowers to the bat to make the potion I need.

I went through my "Add or Remove Program" Section and cleaned out a whole bunch of other games, hoping that having some extra memory might help. It didn't make any difference and I have enough memory on my machine that It should have worked just fine, without doing that step. I was just desparate to finish the game. Why a game would work just fine, for the first half, then repeatedly freeze, during the second half of it, confuses me a great deal. It sounds like I'm not the only person having freezing issues, but I don't get why it was working just FINE for so long, then started acting nuts!

posted in Celtic Lore: Sidhe Hills on Apr 21, 11 7:22 PM
tuttepeever wrote:Does anyone know what kind of cake Bandshee likes?

If you look around at all of the portraits/paintings in the bar/cake shop, each picture gives you a clue as to what cake she likes. Here are the clues:

•In case you missed the hints, they are as follows:
1) Banshee hates triangle cakes the most.

2) Banshee doesn't like puff pastry.

3) Banshee adores cream and can't stand jelly!

4) Banshee loves red berries and fruits!

5) Banshee hates clover.

6) Never trust women! What they say, do the opposite!

•Take a closer look at the Cake Stand: it's right next to the paintings at the back of the room.
•Pick out the perfect cake for Banshee.

PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO #6!

posted in Celtic Lore: Sidhe Hills on Apr 21, 11 7:12 PM
katielady wrote:I cant find the lemon juicer to put lemon on the rag to make soup

I'm pretty sure I got the lemon juicer during one of the HOGs, either inside Dragonette's House, or outside in her "pantry/shelf" area. The lemon juice only goes on the rag, so that the protagonist can wipe the stain off of the "recipe/potion" list. It doesn't actually go in the soup.

bullitmom wrote:I can't find the Rainbow, pot of gold coins etc. before I try working on the elevator.
Bullitmom

You won't be looking for the End Of the Rainbow, until long after you've done all of the tasks associated with the elevator, including entering the Engineer Gremlin's House (which is what the elevator leads to), and complete a series of tasks there, as well as, throughout the town. Once you identify where the End of the Rainbow is, you'll still have to go through several steps, before you'll get anywhere near the pot of gold. Enjoy!

posted in Spirits of Mystery: Amber Maiden Collector's Edition on Apr 21, 11 7:03 PM
I have Windows XP 3rd Edition and just had a Dr. Felix evaluation done, for another game I was having problems with. The Dr. Felix report indicated that I needed to update my video card (which I promptly did), then went on to play THAT game without the slightest bit of difficulty.

I made it all the way through this game, however, starting about midway through the game, it became very slow, would "jiggle around" about every 10 seconds or so, and the "shaking/jiggling/jerking" would spontaneously stop, after 2-3 seconds, then start the whole regimen up again (every 10 seconds), for the remainder of the game.

As the same time that the jerking/shaking motions started, I began having increasing difficulties getting my cursor to stay in place, point at what I wanted it to point at, AND getting it to point backward (it would easily point to the left, right, and straight ahead, but became highly resistant to pointing backwards, which is the action required during nearly half of the game movements). Since I just ran a Dr. Felix check on it, I doubt that my computer is the problem (my earlier report stated everything on my computer was just dandy, except for needing the updating on my video card, when I took care of doing).

I wanted to finish this game so badly, I was determined to do so, even if it did take me twice as long to complete as it might have, otherwise. It was a MARVELOUS game and I really enjoyed it, though not the jerkiness of the scenes and my cursor's movements.

posted in Spirits of Mystery: Amber Maiden Collector's Edition on Apr 21, 11 6:51 PM
The tongs come during a HOG you must play. Keep going back and forth to places you've already been. I promise you'll find the necessary HOG, eventually.

posted in Spirits of Mystery: Amber Maiden Collector's Edition on Apr 21, 11 6:48 PM
I was very saddened that they made Barney an elderly dog, at the end, when none of the other frozen characters seemed to have aged so much, in their frozen states. My guess is that the female protagonist had to be in her 20's, which should have aged everyone that much (it certainly aged Nanny, that much and maybe more). I so wanted Barney to still be a puppy!

posted in Spirits of Mystery: Amber Maiden Collector's Edition on Apr 21, 11 6:45 PM
I wondered why the Strategy Guide wasn't in the demo either, since I got stuck in one part of the trial and coule have used the SG's help. However, the Strategy Guide did come with the game, once I purchased it, and I discovered, to my surprised, that I rarely needed it, during this game. It was fairly straight forward and I used the hint button a lot (which is typical, for me). The only thing that was really worth the extra money (to me) of the CE version, was the extended game play they tacked on to the end. It was fascinating and quite rewarding. The entire game is mysterious, in many ways, but all the mysteries are finally cleared up, by the end (once one plays the extended game play - that is).

The last two CE versions of game I've purchased have displayed the Strategy Guide, during the demo hour. That's why I was so surprised that this one did not.

posted in The Tale of The Lost Bride and A Hidden Treasure on Apr 19, 11 2:37 AM
The opening introduction of this game, where a man reads/tells the "back story" leading up to the beginning of the game, several sections of that section go blank, so the gamer cannot hear the entire version of the "back story". It cuts out two or three times, then automatically returns and carries on as if nothing unusual had happened. Ocassionally, the program would miscount how many of an item had already been collected, within a HOG segment of the game, causing one to have to find 4 of something, instead of 2, as the HOG list had indicated.

The timing clock made little to no sense and would jump around all over the place, without any logic behind many of its movements. Despite it all, I played the game all the way through and really enjoyed it!

posted in The Tale of The Lost Bride and A Hidden Treasure on Apr 19, 11 2:30 AM
Dragon Lady,

I promise you that THIS game displays a BALANCED view about dragons - not the traditional stereotypical one. If you play it far enough through, you are bound to be surprised by who one of the "heros" is, in this story. Just thought you'd like to know! Best wishes!

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator