Posts created by nextgengranny

posted in Dark Dimensions: Vengeful Beauty Collector's Edition on May 6, 17 5:53 AM
The blue/purple palette is the real killer here, as opposed to the plants...why do some devs keep using it? I've yet to read a comment commending them for that. And I see on the sales page, we have two reviewers giving this game an unconditional five stars across the board, including one who describes the puzzles as not at all challenging, yet rates the game five stars in terms of challenge? (And further states that they had a problem w/ one of the mini-games...yet gives it five stars??) I must be confused about how the rating system works...but I'm not at all confused about whether this game rates my attention, or not.

posted in Ominous Tales: The Forsaken Isle on Apr 11, 17 7:15 AM
I found the demo for this game a tad too boring & on the mediocre side to be interested in purchasing it. The demo is the 60 minute variety, so rather than playing to a predetermined point, you get as far as you can in that time. There is customized gameplay, though not w/ as many options as I'm used to seeing, & presented somewhat differently. There's an interactive map provided that transports, & the hint functions well, both in & out of the HO scenes; both hint & skip can be set to recharge quickly, though not to specified times. In the time I played (I had made it to the port & was guddling around in the first few boards there), I encountered 3 mini-games & 1 HO scene. The HO scene was visited twice; the first time utilized interactive list finds, the second, silhouette finds. Regarding the 3 mini-games: The first I appeared to have solved, but it didn't "resolve"; as it was a fairly simple puzzle & I could see nothing I had done wrong, I hit skip to proceed. The second was no problem, & of about medium difficulty; on the third, the directions left me befuddled, & as I didn't feel like noodling around, trying to figure out what I was supposed to do, I skipped again. As far as overall functionality is concerned, the demo downloaded w/ no issues & I didn't have any actual problems, but the game ran kind of slow & clunky for me. Between that & what I thought to be a rather threadbare, nonsensical storyline, I just basically hung in there 'til the demo was over. I did observe 3 or 4 different types of collectibles, so there's that; graphics were nothing to write home about, but not terrible. Try it yourself, & see what you think; as for me, it's time for some joe.

posted in Enchanted Kingdom: A Dark Seed Collector's Edition on Apr 6, 17 5:41 AM
Thank you for your detailed comment! Based on that, I've decided to do the demo. Intriguing HO scenes is something I live for. Vive le jeu!

posted in Enchanted Kingdom: A Dark Seed Collector's Edition on Apr 6, 17 1:39 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but to me, the words "Editors Choice" sends up a big red flag that what we're actually dealing w/ here is a dog. Still, the media posted on the sales page is somewhat compelling, & the graphics, not bad...may have to demo this, but still on the fence. I'm getting tired of being disappointed by demos, hence my reluctance. I think I'll wait for some reviews to come in.

posted in Myths of the World: The Black Sun Collector's Edition on Mar 18, 17 3:07 PM
This isn't a review or anything like it, just a comment, but since it does refer to something specific about the demo, let me first say very clearly, SPOILER ALERT!! Early in the demo, we are tasked w/ crafting a pulley. It was at this point that I exited the demo, perhaps to return later, perhaps not, because I simply found myself feeling no desire whatsoever to craft a pulley. Maybe I'm getting a little burnt-out on some of this stuff, but my feeling in the matter was, just give me a pulley, already. I didn't get into playing HO games out of a desire to fritter away time engaging in activities I don't even enjoy. This just feels like more game padding to me, & I've really, REALLY gotten tired of game padding. Okay, that's it, end of rant. Suffice it to say I'm going to be increasingly selective going forward regarding what I find acceptable in a game. Happy Saturday, all...hope everyone has some fun today, one way or another.

posted in Subliminal Realms: Call of Atis Collector's Edition on Feb 18, 17 9:45 AM
Happy, happy, happy to see this offered today! Thank you, Boolat games!

posted in The Wisbey Mystery on Jan 13, 17 4:27 AM
From what I've seen, it was released in October.

posted in Cursed on Jan 2, 17 3:37 AM
This isn't precisely a review, as I only played the demo for about 30 minutes, & I only stuck w/ it that long because the first mini-game I encountered had no skip button & no reset button that I could see, & I wanted to see if that was an aberration. It wasn't. I found no skip or reset in the second mini-game, either. The 2 HO scenes I encountered were lists that incorporated moderate interactions of the use-brush-to-remove-cobwebs variety, as well as a small mini-game; each had a dozen or so items to find, but only listed 4 at a time, something I'm not keen on. Gameplay, to the point that I played, consisted primarily of find this thing to open that. Definitely not a buy for me, but I will say that the second mini-game was one I don't remember seeing before, so if not being able to skip/reset isn't a deal breaker for you, that aspect of the game may have some potential. Oops, almost forgot: The mini-games had no instructions that I could see, & I don't think the hint was available in the HO scenes. I could see what needed to be done in the mini-games I'd encountered so far, but I'm not inclined to bank on that continuing to be the case, particularly w/ no option to skip. EDIT: Just saw a comment elsewhere that indicates I may be wrong about the skip function; maybe someone else can expand on that, as I already uninstalled the game.

posted in Yuletide Legends: The Brothers Claus on Dec 26, 16 12:33 PM
The letter is in three pieces, one is very small & off to the mid/upper left, the other two are toward the right. Don't know why the hint isn't working for you on that, as it did for me...maybe it's a glitch that only occurs if the letter is left to the last?

posted in Whispered Secrets: Song of Sorrow on Dec 24, 16 8:50 PM
I received a PM expressing concern that I had ruined the surprise, re the whole "zombie cart" thing...just to clarify, that scene is shown in the "video" portion of the sales media. I do understand the concern, given the number of reviews that spill every last bean there is to spill, re demos, but given this was shown in the media, I never thought to do a "spoiler alert". Sorry if it made anyone unhappy. In closing...MERRY CHRISTMAS, EVERYONE!!

posted in Whispered Secrets: Song of Sorrow on Dec 21, 16 5:37 AM
Well, I just finished the demo (what there was of it), & I can't think of a single thing that would make me recommend this game. I'd recommend doing the demo, as the bit where the zombies are chasing you on the cart is funny as all get-out, but that's it. The graphics, HO scenes, & mini-games left WAY too much to desired. Guess my coupon will stay in my pocket for now, but I ain't mad...I'm still chortling every time I think about those zombies.

Based on some of the threads being posted here in the forums, I decided to take this game for a "test drive" after purchasing it, rather than waiting to play it w/ my granddaughter, & thankfully, have had no issues w/ it, as this is a truly delightful game, start to finish, including the bonus chapter; & I'm confident my granddaughter will feel the same. This isn't, imo, a game that's for playing w/ children only, as I would be just as happy w/ it if I had purchased it to play by myself. The graphics are gorgeous w/o being gaudy, the HO scenes are nicely interactive, there's a good variety & range of difficulty present in the mini-games, & the collectibles pose some challenge w/o being of the tear-your-hair-out-while-ruining-your-eyesight variety. Even w/ the sale, I'll probably have to eat some ramen noodles this month (budget is now toast), but having this to play w/ my granddaughter on Christmas eve day to "ease the anguish of a torturing hour" & "beguile the lazy time" will be well worth it.

I'm inclined to agree w/ Rainworm that critics are being a bit harsh, & I think I know why, but I've no wish to open THAT can of worms. The only real problem I have w/ this game is that the recurring mini-game in it is so hard on my eyes; & even w/ that (a fairly major complaint for me, as I may have to skip all of those), I'll probably still buy this game. Also, & this is just my opinion, anyone who thinks this series has been going steadily downhill should go back & play Stolen Spring again. For me, this series (which originated w/ Eipix) has been a very mixed bag, but I found the demo for this one enjoyable enough that as mentioned, I'll probably buy it. And yes, I do have them all...even that wretched Roman-themed one w/ a device I loathe (my granddaughter liked it). My granddaughter wields too much influence over me at times, methinks. Happy trails, y'all...& may we all game on.

There's a point in the process where the snowflake button becomes active, & you have to press it...unfortunately, I don't recall the details of the process. (As you can tell, I'm "at that age". ) Hopefully, someone w/ a better memory can provide more detail.

Has anyone been able to get the last morphing puzzle piece in the bonus chapter? I saw it clearly when I entered the area, but the game pulled me right into the "end round" w/o letting me grab it; it apparently wasn't available to grab during the end round, & once the end round is over, the final cut scene kicks in...again, providing no opportunity to grab the puzzle piece. Am I missing something, or is this a problem? UPDATE: Figured it out! When the end round is commencing, if you back up, it will pull you out of the end round w/o pulling you out of the area, giving you the opportunity to collect the puzzle piece. Afterwards, just move forward to resume the end round.

So, I just submitted a review last night stating that I would've purchased this game already, except that I couldn't afford to w/o a sale...& guess what I woke up to? This game looks to be exactly what I've been looking for & not finding, as it looks perfect for my 8 yr. old granddaughter & I to play together. Based on what I've seen so far, there are things she'll be able to do by herself, but also things she'll either need help w/ or won't attempt at all at this point, which means (a) we'll both have things to do, & (b) this is a game she can grow into. In my review, I referred to the delicate balance required to craft a truly "all ages" game, & this is the first Christmas-themed game I've demoed that I believe truly achieves that balance. Needless to say, I'm downloading it as I write this, & I couldn't be happier.

Well, based on the demo, this is a game I might enjoy playing through the once, but I have doubts as to whether I'd want to replay it; & as someone on a budget, replayability is important to me, especially when it comes to purchasing CEs. I'll wait 'til the SE comes out, do the demo again, & maybe get it w/ a coupon. Happy Saturday, everyone!

posted in Dawn of Hope: Skyline Adventure on Dec 5, 16 4:27 AM
I haven't actually demoed the SE version, as I got the CE...but in the CE, it's the "sunrise" symbol on the lower right. I'd assume it's the same in the SE, unless there's a glitch?

posted in Dawn of Hope: Skyline Adventure on Dec 4, 16 9:09 PM
Just click on the available bar repeatedly, really fast, 'til the meter fills...like you do when hoisting yourself up early on.

posted in Dawn of Hope: Skyline Adventure on Dec 4, 16 11:51 AM
Oddly enough, I had just finished replaying the main game in the CE version of this game before coming to the forums & seeing this listed as today's offering. Also oddly, the first time I played the game through, I recall not being thrilled w/ it, although I don't recall why; I've replayed it a couple times since then & enjoyed it, so I think that first time, I may have just been tired. I actually think this game is probably a better value overall as an SE than as a CE, as the bonus game isn't all that long, & there's not much by way of collectibles. I don't agree w/ all the hype this game was getting when it first came out, but I do think it's pretty solid standard fare. I just wish this particular dev would stop slowing down their gameplay so much; if it weren't for that, I'd probably play their games more often.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator