Posts created by SZumchak

14.4K baud...9600 baud...you speed demons!!

My first modem, in 1985, was an Atari 800XL hooked up to a whopping (and I DO mean whopping) THREE HUNDRED baud. 600K of file transfer took roughly 2 hours! And if someone called you at any point during the download - file ruined!

Ahhh...those long nights of downloading...

And now...I prepare for another night...but much faster!!

Only 3-1/2 hours left!!

posted in Pioneer Lands on Aug 14, 11 8:27 PM
As with a lot of the game, it comes down to simple mathematics (why do I suddenly feel like the professor from NUMB3RS here...)

If you go for the gold at the bottom of the screen, it takes you 15 moves to collect 400 gold.

If you harvest for 15 moves and sell 15 items (15 x 40) you'll make 600 gold.

So you actually make 200 more gold harvesting for 15 moves than you would trying to get the oh-so-tempting bottom-of-the-screen gold!

posted in Pioneer Lands on Aug 10, 11 1:55 PM
FIGURED IT OUT!!!

But first, my apologies for incorrectly saying that wood/planks sell for the same and that it's faster...both are wrong...my bad!

Here's the secret:
You're going to COMPLETELY IGNORE the right side of the screen.
Yes, all that gold at the bottom past the bridges - tempting, but will ruin the level!

Here's the way I did it. You can't waste a single second but if done right you'll finish GOLD + 1020 Gold (or more) in about 3:23.

1. Break rock in front of gold on left
2. Collect gold on left
3. Break rock in front of forest
4. Collect 2 wood
5. Build bridge to beans
6. Collect 3 beans
7. Collect 2 more wood WHILE you sell the 3 beans - this gives you 220 gold
8. Buy a second male worker
9. Continue to harvest beans while the 2nd worker builds a bridge to the grain
10.Now, wasting NO second at all, start repeatedly harvesting grain and beans simultaneously.
11. When you get to a total of 14 (but NOT MORE or you'll go over 600 and finish the level prematurely) beans and grain, SELL ALL. You'll have 580 gold.
12. Continue to rapidly harvest BOTH grain and beans.
13. Once you reach a total of 11 beans and grains (after selling the previous 14) sell ALL.
14. If you're fast enough, you'll finish with 1020 gold, Gold Medal status and have about 6-7 seconds to spare!

Again, DON'T try to wait until you have the 25 total to sell. You can only sell 5 items in each basket (a total of 20) and that will put you OVER 600 but UNDER 1000. If you sell at 14 and then 11 (or 13/12 or 12/13) you should pass. As long as you sell ALL before reaching a total of 15, you'll win.

Good luck, fishies!!!

posted in Pioneer Lands on Aug 10, 11 12:06 PM
This works, but how do you get the 1000 Gold in time? I've tried with/without coworker, getting all the gold, just harvesting, etc. By the way, collecting wood is actually FASTER than beans/grain, so you can reach the main goal faster just doing that (they all sell for 40 gold each anyway).

Any help with getting to 1000 would be great - I'm stuck around 900.

posted in Mishap 2: An Intentional Haunting on May 19, 11 8:24 AM
For all those who've experienced the frustration of not being able to see the ending cutscene - - - -

I was finally able to get it on a high-speed machine and record it. It's not HD but it's certainly better than no ending at all.

You can view it at:

[removed by moderator]

posted in Mishap 2: An Intentional Haunting on May 19, 11 8:13 AM
For all those who've experienced the frustration of not being able to see the ending cutscene - - - -

I was finally able to get it on a high-speed machine and record it. It's not HD but it's certainly better than no ending at all.

You can view it at:

[removed by moderator]

If "Awe Inspiring" is a clue, has anyone tried anagrams of it? Many words are possible - sea, spring, spain, wine...

Any ideas??

A year wait...(the last 2 were both the day before Thanksgiving)...

Still...WAAAAHHHH!!!

I want my MCF!

Hmmm...interesting...I remember that as well, though I don't think you could go out there...seems like it indicated something was BURIED out there...

I sure HOPE it has to do with more of the Ravenhearst saga...Charles may not be totally gone and we know Victor went back to 1895 or whatever, so they can't leave us hanging forever, can they...

Help us BigFish and MCF!!!

Took my wife and I a little less than 4 hours and not disappointed in the LEAST! Didn't get all the achievements and didn't even come CLOSE to all the morphing objects (only got 15-20 of the 50, hence finishing in less than 4 hours - would've taken MUCH longer otherwise!!!)

Now I have to go through it again to find all those objects, complete all the objectives, and dial the secret phone # at the end of the credits...

Also - does anyone know what the snowshoes are for...it was the 1 item I had left at the end I didn't use...arrgh...must've missed something...

BTW - if you haven't figured out the secret #, see my post in the other forum about the hidden levels

GREAT GAME!!!

Also - anyone figure out the meaning of the Lighthouse pic in the secret room puzzle? I'm sure it has SOMETHING to do with the next MCF game ('10) but haven't figured it out yet. Some lats/longs on there. Maybe a Ravenhearst Pt. 3?

The puzzle turns out to be a phone number, which I assume you dial at the basement receiver.

Unfortunately (well, fortunately, because I want to play the game again and it really is AMAZING - WTG Big Fish and MCF!) you have to play the game a 2nd time to get back to the phone.

I won't reveal the actual phone #, but here are the calculations and YES, it does work!!!

President's address (1600)
* the square root of 9 (3)
+ the number of yards in a mile (1760)
+ the year the King left the building (1977)
- PacMan ghosts (4)
+ decimal translation of the binary number 101011101011 (2795)
* Felix's Address (333)
- California Police Penal Code for Murder (187)
+ Columbus sailed the ocean blue (1492)
* letters in Rachael Ray's middle name ( 8 )
- height of the Space Needle in feet (605)
+ Shaq's shoe size (23)
- Alison's area code (206)
/ the atomic number of Silicon (14)

Do the calculations correctly and you get a seven-digit number.

BTW - for those who don't get the inside jokes...

Felix's address is obviously the BFG mailing address
the King left the building = year Elvis died
Alison's area code and Space Needle are both references to BFG headquarters in Seattle

Hope this helps.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator