Posts created by hubbasa

posted in Shiver: Moonlit Grove Collector's Edition on May 2, 13 3:28 PM
This game has serious bugs and this is only the second time I have had to report a technical issue on any game here.

It is always the same... I start the demo, watch the opening cut scene for a short time and then it crashes my system (just after the carriage crashes). According to the blue screen of death, the crashing driver is for my sound card. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, scoured the web for driver updates and nothing makes a difference.

I am running Win 7 Ultimate (32-bit) on a workstation with dual xeon CPUs, 2 GB memory and a creative labs Audigy 2ZS Platinum Plus sound system. This is the same setup that I use for a professional-level music notation system (Finale).

Since updating this system to Win7 Ultimate, I have not experienced a BSOD crash except for the four I went through today attempting to plan this game.

Needless to say, since I hadn't yet demoed it, I haven't bought it and can just uninstall it again and remain curious as to its value as a game....

I will not be contacting tech support since I don't want to take a lot of time trying to find a workaround for a game. Guess I'll just check back to see if the devs finally do some patches and fixes.

I just want to add that it is a big plus for me when the HOS objects correspond to the scene and the game. So far, they have been coordinated and well conceived. The only negative item has been the "morphing" objects -- I have not seen them actually change shape, so, it has been a "click on everything" find for them.

Bottom line, though, is that I purchase for the challenge and the story, not the morphs so I am very pleased with this game and am enjoying it.

Thank you for the extra quality your development team has included.

posted in Sphera on Oct 1, 11 12:14 PM
I made it all the way to the last portal and froze. Had to physically turn off the computer to reset. Restarted the game after a reboot and clicked on continue and it froze again. After another reboot, started the game and changed to windowed mode (so I could use Task Manager if necessary) - still froze on continue. Tried stopping other applications running in the background - still froze. Please ask developers for an update so I can finish the game.

What a wonderful post, DarkDisciple! Far more imaginative and entertaining than some of the games offered here lately!

posted in Timeless: The Forgotten Town Collector's Edition on Aug 14, 11 11:17 AM
I have finally completed this game, bonus and all, I really wanted to applaud the developers for the most artistic and enjoyable game I have played in quite awhile. I especially want to commend the music composer(s). The sound tracks are very high quality and would be at home as the film score for a grade A movie. I wish it were possible to save the individual tracks as MP3s so I could listen to them outside of the game.

If the dev team ever reads our comments, once again I applaud the talent and artistry of the team.

posted in Grim Tales: The Bride Collector's Edition on Aug 6, 11 8:14 AM
Sheerija wrote:So after reading everyone's reviews I THINK I finally understand that it's the length of a game that categorizes it as a CE! Am I wrong?

I have been trying to understand why Developers go to all the trouble to imbue the hint button with the exact same information as the SG, when they don't have to because they still sell it for the same price even if the hint button only works in the HOGs. So, I've been feeling ripped off, because the well imbued hint button renders the SG unnecessary. But now, I THINK I've got it.

No, actually reading that back, I don't think I do. It still doesn't make sense to me. Am I dumb?

There are two things that make a game a CE: The built in strategy guide and the extra chapter (bonus play). If you buy an SE version of the game those two items are not included. Usually for an SE version, the Strategy Guide is available as a separately purchased item. So, you would end up paying for two items if you purchased the Strategy Guide + the game (SE). But you would not be able to purchase the extra/bonus chapter. I think that is why many go ahead with the CE version.
If you never need or use the Strategy guide then the question is whether or not you feel the extra playing time is worth the money.

This is what I consider when purchasing.

posted in Grim Tales: The Bride Collector's Edition on Aug 4, 11 9:03 AM
Just a note on the screen issues--
I have an OLD hardware system (AGP graphics) with a 23" monitor. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate with a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080 Landscape. I very rarely see the black bars now-a-days except with older games and I have never had to change the default options for the screen within the games.

This is just to give people some ideas on what they may need to do to avoid the black bars. I am adamant about updates from both the graphics card manufacturer and the OS manufacturer.

Hope this will help someone.

As to the game itself, I absolutely enjoyed the demo, taking my time on the "advanced" mode to look around. Time ran out before I completed the chapter so I think this will be a good length for a CE. I am very picky about which games I actually buy and this one is on my list now. I don't mind some of the back-and-forth if it is within a limited range (hate when you have to go back to previous chapter locations). I thought that the balance of search, puzzle and hidden objects was perfect and liked the logical resolution of what was needed to open/resolve certain tasks. A good challenger but not so difficult that one has to play with the guide open.
The diary was all I needed to remind me of what I had to solve.

Sorry to hear about the download time for some - Guess it is location relevant.

Hi fellow water life.
I finished the demo and immediately purchased this CE. It lives up to the high standards set by the MCF programs but adds its own goodies.
Top likes:
Movie score quality music
Focused Help - only need to "peek" at what you want to know. Don't have to open the SG and accidentally find out the answers for other puzzles you want to solve yourself
Educational - the information provided as the background to the story is based on facts, such as, the Dogon tribes' rituals
Challenging puzzles
More Adventure and minimal junk pile hidden object scenes

In my pond, this is the best CE game that has been released since the MCF 13th skull.

posted in Nightmare Realm Collector's Edition on Jul 3, 11 11:48 AM
Just finished the game and the bonus play. This was a great game and worth the CE price if you stop to enjoy all the subtleties. I see several comments about the bonus play ending abruptly... The bonus play fills in the story (possible spoiler: highlight to read) starting when the heroine loses contact with Peter up to the point where they meet again. I thought it was an excellent and ingeneous way to add content without ruining the story line of the regular play.

I am looking forward to seeing more work from this developer!

I was disappointed in the simplicity and length of this game - especially for a CE! The Bonus game did have some of the quality mini-games that the first three Chronicles had but it was like a "quick-review". I finished the main and bonus games in a little over four hours and I was intentionally drawing it out as much as possible. I even found that the dream piece collections were way too easy.

The graphics were as pleasing as the others in the series. There was one technical glitch - after playing the demo and purchasing the games I could not resume where I was and had to start the game from the beginning. The same thing happened to others I know.

As much as I have always loved this series, next time I will wait to purchase. It did not have the quality or extended game play one should expect in a CE.

posted in Art of Murder: Deadly Secrets on Apr 5, 11 3:36 PM
Hmmm... seems I remember having to do that same thing with the "Google" toolbar - especially when updating Acrobat products. I don't know how many Google toolbars I have had to uninstall.

Yes, its annoying but it isn't just Bing that does it.

posted in The Revenge on Mar 23, 11 8:24 AM
peglegann wrote:I am very surprised that no one has commented on a lack of a walkthrough, as this is a very challenging game. I do not want to see one for help but would like to know the length of the game. Can anyone help me on this?

I appreciate that we all play at different speeds. Thank you.

I am also waiting to find out the length before I purchase. Any one have a clue? In the demo I had just completed putting together a sword.

posted in The Revenge on Mar 23, 11 8:12 AM
I normally do not post a lot but wanted to share my thoughts on this game after completing the demo.
FIrst, it is unique in that you have a combination of hidden objects, pieces of items to find and different types of puzzles/minigames. Puzzles and minigames do not always have to be pop-up windows with sliding rectangles, etc.
I found the hidden object scenes were moderately challenging - there was always one or two objects difficult to find. The descriptive object list did have some unusual english translations but not incomprehensible (Example: "clarinet" object not a clarinet as we know it in modern instrumentation). The hints button recharged very quickly.
Multi-colored sparkling areas denoted hidden object scenes and white sparkling areas denoted task areas to complete.
Some of the sentences were not translated appropriately for english-speaking users but they were understandable. I would suggest that the dev team get a more experienced translator for future projects.
The "jerkiness" that others referenced is that movement between scenes does not transition smoothly. THis does not interfere with game play.
My impression is that this is a "first" effort by a new development team and I would expect to see improvements as they get more experience. I am remembering the very first game I played by MCF and how in time they have matured.
Folks - we begged for more hiddent object games and it looks like BFG went searching for new sources of games they could sell at the regular price (vice CE). I may buy this one depending on the full game length which I hope someone will be able to report soon.
I did find that there were different musical loops for different scenes and some users may find the style annoying. I liked the uniqueness of it.

posted in The Revenge on Mar 23, 11 6:41 AM
peglegann wrote:
CasualGran wrote:Continued comment after restarting with a new profile.

Oh my... it gets worse with the language. What on earth are 'cheppals'??? And what's a 'goutstool' ???
Dear devs, please use some kind of spellchecking at least, before releasing a game... this is horrible

Furthermore the gameplay continues to be jerky and the stuff you keep for later use is to be found in the objects list, not in the inventory. Confusing.

I'm not going to buy. Would be a waste of money.

Oh boy!! I cannot wait to finish work to try this one out! ROFL
Maybe the first one Gran should be "cheap pals" and the second one, a stool for someone with gout?
Thank you, you made me laugh this morning

"Cheppals" are shoes according to an article I found about villagers in India and products they make for themselves (Thanks Bing!).
"GoutStool" is indeed a specially designed stool for Gout. It was very popular in other centuries to help relieve the rich landowners who seemed to be the only ones that got Gout back then.

posted in Curse of the Ghost Ship on Dec 29, 10 8:36 AM
I also hate ANY undesired toolbar offers. I don't know how many times I have had to uninstall Google when all I wanted was the Adobe updates. This is just MS trying to compete with Google.

I have downloaded this game but received no prompt to download a new toolbar. As to the DirectX, it did run the install application but found I already had the latest version so did not overwrite anything.

I had no problem loading and playing the demo game.

posted in Art of Murder: Cards of Destiny on Dec 16, 10 8:21 AM
Just another "two cents" in support of the question and the answer - I let my grandson play games on my computer when he visits. Knowing that the content may be too graphic for a young child is extremely helpful for me since I don't always watch which of tthe BF games he chooses to play. I will of course do the demo first before purchasing but the potentially graphic scenes may not be revealed in the demo content.

posted in Cleopatra: A Queen's Destiny on Jun 20, 10 6:59 PM
I have ATI Radeon drivers (latest version including hotfix), DirectX 11 and have reinstalled all the adobe software. My screen goes black when I start the game. I found a config.ini file in the game's directory on my HD and modified the bFullScreen=0 (from 1 to 0). This allowed me to open the game as a windowed app. Unfortunately, I lose the cursor alot and can't tell what actions or directions I can take.

It would be very helpful if someone could contact the devs for this game and find out what else we can set to make it work!

posted in The Fall Trilogy: Chapter 1 on Jan 10, 10 1:13 PM
When you have a problem with the custom cursor do you try to change your screen resolution? Liked the fact that this game had various resolutions to try. I just finished the complete story.. Very Cool! Like the Dream Chronicles trilogy. Anyway, higher resolutions use more memory which makes custom cursors jerkier.

posted in Princess Isabella: A Witch's Curse on Jan 9, 10 7:00 AM
I uninstalled and reinstalled but I am only able to play it in windowed mode... Yuck!

Any ideas?

posted in Jewel Quest Mysteries: Curse of the Emerald Tear on Dec 2, 09 6:22 PM
I am unable to play this game on my system: Windows7 OS. Even changed execution to XPSP3 compatibility.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator