Posts created by nextgengranny

posted in Secrets of Great Queens: Old Tower on Dec 3, 16 1:50 AM
This game was a waste of a coupon for me. I don't recall the last time I saw such shoddy graphics. Aside from making the game unappealing to look at, it made using the hint button necessary in the HO scenes at times simply because the items listed were unrecognizable. I also wasn't a fan of the dark themes (throwing axes at sacks w/ pictures of animals on them should have been my warning on that note). As for Capt. Louis, he seemed to function mainly as filler. What attracted me to this game when doing the demo was that it seemed to have a lot of mini-games, which it does, but as much as I love my mini-games, that ended-up not being enough to make this a good game for me. I played it through because I own it, but I reached the point about a third of the way through where I was just alternating between using the map & the hint button, trying to move things along as quickly as possible. The fact that the game ends oddly was neither here nor there for me, as I was just glad to see it end. I honestly don't recall ever disliking a game as much as I disliked this one.

This offering is just an all-around disappointment to me. When I saw it come up as the new offering here in the forums, I was very excited, as "The Gift of the Magi" has been a favorite story of mine ever since I first read it. So needless to say, I immediately went to the sales page...where I was greeted by a screen shot of dancing cats. This didn't bode well, but I still thought this game might at least make a nice early Christmas present for my granddaughter, so I went ahead & did the demo...only to find a floaty cursor, lackluster collectibles, & gameplay that proceeds too slowly for an active 8-yr.-old to stay interested (not to mention, what father would stand around shuffling his feet in his yard, waiting for some kid to rescue his precious child). I love that there's a dev who makes a point of doing an annual Christmas game, but it's impossible for me love this game, as I personally find it to be ill-suited to either an adult OR a child. Perhaps I will look at some earlier editions, instead, & stick to telling "The Gift of the Magi" to my granddaughter as a bedtime story.

This may sound silly, but did you remember to melt the resin first?

posted in Beyond: Star Descendant Collector's Edition on Nov 19, 16 8:26 AM
Honestly, I found myself gritting my teeth through most of the demo for this game...WAY too much chatter that can't be skipped or clicked through at your own pace, plus doing pretty much everything at a snails' pace. I have to say, I think this dev takes the cake for stretching things out like they think they're pulling taffy. Add to that fairly lackluster HO scenes, & you can pretty much stick a fork in me. There was some nice variety in the types of mini-games, but not so much in the range of difficulty; w/ one or two exceptions, they were easy, easy, easy. I think this particular dev just isn't my cup of tea, as my complaints are mostly the same w/ them on this game as they were on the last...& on that note, it's time for a nice cuppa joe. Happy Saturday, all...w/ the sale & all, hopefully most folks will enjoy this more than I did.

posted in Lost Lands: The Wanderer Collector's Edition on Nov 18, 16 2:24 AM
You found an "Easter egg"...I didn't know this series had them. Good times.

posted in Dawn of Hope: Skyline Adventure Collector's Edition on Nov 18, 16 2:06 AM
Ditto what judy76073 said...goes on my list of "games I hoped I would like, but didn't."

posted in Lost Lands: The Wanderer Collector's Edition on Nov 10, 16 4:42 AM
Well, I had to wait a minute to get this game (budget reasons), but it was well worth the wait. There's a nice array of offerings for mini-games, & I don't mind the HO scenes being all of a kind, as it's a kind I enjoy. I also love the graphic style of this series, although the artwork on the characters in the main game degraded as the game progressed, imo. The bonus chapter was very well done as well, especially w/ the addition of two new, interesting characters. As for the slew of collectibles, for me, less is usually more in that regard, but in this series, I enjoy it, as the map makes it easy to keep track of what I've found & what I haven't. This series is really just one of my favorites...along w/ the afore-mentioned, I enjoy the storylines, the comic phrasing of some items (snake in a jar, rat in a jar, & so forth), & the fact that the activities one engages in don't tend to be quite so run-of-the-mill as in many other offerings...not to mention, being allowed to keep your hammer & knife throughout the entire game. That right there is bound to warm any gamer's heart.

posted in Phantasmat: Reign of Shadows Collector's Edition on Oct 12, 16 6:45 AM
This game looked like it had so much promise, & I was genuinely excited at the outset. Unfortunately, by mid-game, all I seemed to be doing was using the map to jump hither, thither, & yon, looking for I knew not what. I rated this game 3.5 on the sales page because I do feel this dev has been working to make their HO scenes & mini-games more interactive & varied. That said, no amount of good HO scenes & mini-games can make up for the game itself beginning to drag by so miserably before you're even halfway through. This is the first time I can recall that I had no interest whatsoever in following-up the main game w/ the bonus chapter; I was really just tired of it by the time I reached the end. That was about a week ago (I bought & played this the day it came out), & I've felt no desire to revisit it since. I'm not making unfavorable comparisons to other games in the series, as I've only ever purchased one other...just judging the game on it's own merits, & overall, I can't really recommend it unless you've a high tolerance for progressing at a snails' pace.

This game was okay w/ me, but I've never been a DP fan, as I don't really care for FROGs, so I'm not comparing it to previous games. The storyline was helter-skelter in some places, but I can live w/ that. My only real beef was w/ the bonus chapter, which was WAY too short, & not in the slightest bit challenging. For that reason, I'd recommend the SE version of this game more so than the CE version.

As a fan of this series, this installment is a definite "miss" for me. As usual w/ this dev, the graphics are quite good, but I've got to the point (like many, I believe) where I require more than a pretty game w/ (hopefully) at least a few really good mini-games & HO scenes. The storyline thus far (I did the demo) isn't grabbing me, the collectibles are too easily spotted & lacking in variety to add any quality, & to add insult to injury, there's a device one is compelled to use - repeatedly - which is time-consuming w/o being challenging or fun (I would be happy w/ either). It really is too bad, because there were a couple mini-games already that I enjoyed, one for the challenge, the other for the charm, but that's not enough to outweigh the cons thus far. I'll revisit this when the SE comes out, but the CE is definitely not for me.

[Removed by Moderator] This sort of discrepancy between reviews based on demo only vs. reviews based on completed games is absurd. Perhaps BFG needs to incorporate a non-provisional edit function for it's game page reviews to better reflect reality. (Note: I have also observed numerous instances of folks in the forums expressing regret over high marks they gave on a game page, based on the demo only. Maybe what really needs to happen is to no longer allow demo only reviews on the game page...but, that would cut into sales, amirite?)

posted in Invasion 2: Doomed on Jun 29, 16 3:29 PM
I got this game about a week ago, & I've replayed it twice already. The lack of cut scenes doesn't bother me; good-looking cut scenes are being overused by a lot of developers, to the point where they begin to replace gameplay. In this game, the story is largely relayed to you while you complete an activity, such as working a puzzle (you just need to remember to read the story bits). The HO scenes, w/o exception, are well done, w/ some fun little twists; the mini-games come almost non-stop, & many are original. Also, most of these mini-games aren't of the type that once you solve them, you'll never have to do so again. The length of the game is just right for me; it ends before I want it to. Lastly, this game offers extras not generally seen w/ SEs, including replayable mini-games (those you solve during the game), 25 60-piece jigsaw puzzles, & 5 varieties of match3 games. The fact that I was able to get so much gaming goodness for so little pleased me so much that I emailed the devs to compliment them (& they responded a few hours later to thank me, which I thought well of). SO grateful for a game that isn't just another ho-hum version of unlock-these-20-things-&-replay-these-warmed-over-mini-games. Thank you, Itera Labs.

posted in Hidden Expedition: Midgard's End Collector's Edition on Jun 18, 16 12:15 AM
You can look that up in the Strategy Guide, in the section titled, "Collectibles, Souvenirs, & Morphing Objects". For example, the one you're looking for is the center shield on the page w/ the shields.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator