Posts created by tropdechats

posted in 9 Elefants on Sep 16, 14 7:51 AM
I stopped writing game reviews in the Forum when the Pond went through a religious self-righteous phase: when reviews starting telling me that if I played a certain game, God would not love me anymore.

But I have continued to read reviews and to, sometimes, find them valuable. But no more. Reviews are no longer about games but about reviews and reviewers. I enjoyed the Pond when anyone could say what they wanted any way they wanted to say it. Those days seems to be gone, as the Pond falls further and further into meaningless disputes about reviews. [Removed by Moderator], mean-spirited comments accompanied by a peace sign or a smiley-face emoticon are still [Removed by Moderator], mean-spirited comments. And I don't want to spend any more time reading them.

I am out of here.

posted in Tales From The Dragon Mountain 2: The Lair on Apr 28, 14 12:04 PM
Hello, Ivan!

Thank you so much for joining the forum and listening to and responding to our questions and comments.

I just played the demo of Dragon Mountain 2. I enjoyed it very much and will purchase it.

I just wanted to tell you that "Where Angels Cry" is one of my favorite games. The plot is complex, the world you created is complete and fascinating, the game play is wonderful.

Keep 'em coming!

Thank you again for hours of gaming pleasure.

posted in World Mosaics Chroma on Feb 17, 14 6:53 AM
mamamaggie, fluke73, and JustTheFacts (whose wonderful reviews I always read) said it all. I will not even download a game that will force me to "pay to play." Especially one that misrepresents itself as "free to play!"

posted in The Great Gatsby: Secret Treasure on Dec 27, 13 8:06 AM
That Nilosh's statement about the true meaning of Christmas --and of every important holiday that any one celebrates -- was removed from the review column is an embarrassment to Big Fish. Shame on you. As the world grows ever smaller, we need more people like Nilosh who can reach out and express the true meaning of tolerance.

Please do not turn your back on the Pond, Nilosh. Your reviews are always worth reading!

posted in Awakening Kingdoms on Dec 18, 13 10:07 AM
[Removed by Moderator]

posted in Punished Talents: Seven Muses Collector's Edition on Nov 16, 13 8:38 AM
Thanks so much for visiting the forum to hear our reactions to your newest game.

Blam! Games is one of my favorite developers. You folks consistently create challenging games with a world I can get lost in. I just want to say that I hope you keep on producing downloadable games. I know that the trend these days is away from this type of game, with an emphasis on ipod and iphone games, and games that require you to purchase "something: in order to continue play. But there are many of us who still enjoy -- and will buy -- the more traditional games. Don't forget us!

Thanks again for the hours of enjoyable gaming!

posted in League of Light: Dark Omens Collector's Edition on Jul 20, 13 4:50 AM
Shorenuf said it all. Beautiful to look at but not much challenge. Game play during the demo (which I finished in 35 minutes and I am a slow, careful player) was extremely linear (one of my pet peeves) -- you need it, you find it, you use it. The Ho scenes were easy -- they could have been much more but the devs took the easy way out (pun intended). You earn many of the achievements merely by playing the game. I understand the conventionsof these games -- run around and look for things until you find them. But there is no challenge here, only an interesting environment. Disappointing.

I confess that I am also tired of that nasty elf. In every game his character has so much potential that is never realized. Basically, all he does is slam doors in my face...

posted in Stray Souls: Stolen Memories Collector's Edition on Jul 6, 13 5:42 AM
The graphics are lovely but the game play is not. Play is very linear -- you need it, you find it, you use it. There is also a great deal of hand-holding, so there is little for the grey cells to do. And where are all the extras that usually accompany a CE -- collectibles, morphing objects, achievements? I don't understand why this game is classified as a CE. And that Strategy Guide! I can only attribute that to creative laziness.

I will definitely not buy this game as a CE. Not sure if it's even SE worthy.

posted in Corpatros: The Hidden Village on Jul 3, 13 11:33 PM
Sigh. Here I go again, swimming against the current...

I complain a lot about too much hand-holding in the games we get now. And, finally, here I find a game that does not hold my hand at all. I usually play games at the most challenging difficulty level; here, I have to play on the easiest: I don't think I could have managed without the usually-detested sparkles. I found the game challenging and enjoyable because it was so difficult. It's a buy for me.

posted in Asian Riddles on Jul 2, 13 7:20 PM
Just want to add my voice to the chorus -- I enjoyed this game very much and will purchase it. Although lovemybooks astutely pointed out the weaknesses, for me the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Note to devs: More games like this, please!

posted in Detective Agency 3: Ghost Painting on Jun 3, 13 11:04 AM
Yes, the game is in many ways a throwback (and not in a good sense): the dark screens are especially difficult for "older eyes." But, for me, the game play was interesting -- not the easy, handholding we get soooo much of these days. I found the play complex and challenging even on the easier level. For me, it's a buy.

posted in Chronicles of Vida: The Story of the Missing Princess on May 21, 13 1:20 AM
For the first time in a BF game, I am having a serious issue with the cursor. I am not using the custom cursor. When I place the cursor on an object, it registers the "click" about a half inch to the left of the object I am trying to click on. There are some objects in the HO scenes I cannot get because they are too close to theright border. This unreliability of the cursor makes the game unplayable for me.

Anyone else encountering this problem? Any solutions?

posted in Dreamscapes: The Sandman on Mar 13, 13 2:59 AM
I played the demo for 30 minutes and purchased the game. It is dark but I found it interesting and challenging. It plays like a CE with achievements and other fun additions (I won't say more so I don't ruin your pleasure at discovering them!). It is very generous for an SE. KIWO612 described the essentials of the game play so I won't bore anyone by repeating. I'll only say that the game play is neither linear nor intuitive. I was concerned when I saw the dev's name: their games are usually bright, happy and good for children. This one is none of those. But, thanks, devs, for what looks like a great game!

Oh, dear -- here I go again, swimming against the current! The game is eye candy: ERS has cornered the market on the use of a full pastel palette. But the game play, for me, left a lot to be desired. I played in the "Brave Princess" mode and found the play to be easy and linear (you need it, you find it, you use it). I have a general impression that ERS games are getting easier to play as they become lovelier to look at. Plus, another princess and some more cute animals. At least there is not a prince in this one!

Definitely not a CE for me. Maybe an SE but most probably a DD.

posted in Reality Show: Fatal Shot Collector's Edition on Dec 20, 12 5:50 AM
gmac1007 tells a better story than the game does (but doesn't she always!). The graphics are wonderful, as you have come to expect from this developer. But the game itself is too easy. Game play is linear -- you need it, you find it, you use it. I found nothing about the game play that was either challenging or interesting. Sadly, because I truly enjoy this developer, I would only consider purchasing the game if it was a DD.

gmac I love your reviews -- I look forward to them every day. Great comments and a great sense of humor.

I agree with all the negatives listed above with one huge exception: the most difficult playing level eliminates the black-box blurbs!!! Finally and at long last. I will buy the game (SE not CE) for that reason alone.

posted in Between the Worlds II: The Pyramid on Mar 3, 12 10:34 AM
Thanks so much to all the fishies who suggested that one give the game a second chance. I did, and am so glad I did. The game is beautiful and challenging. I could not ask for more. It's a definite buy for me. Thanks again.

posted in Depths of Betrayal Collector's Edition on Feb 29, 12 7:09 AM
I just finished the game and thought it was fantastic. It is a FROG/mini-game structure with much traveling from place to place over and over. The concept was intriguing enough to hold my attention thru the 8.5 hours it took me to compelte the game -- but I am a VERY slow and thorough player. Your time will probably be quicker. I purchased the CE because, after playing the demo, I thought I would need to Strategy Guide --- and I was correct. I do not recommend purchasing the CE for the additional game play -- the additional play is linear, easy and short. Definitely not worth the aditional sheckels. But the game itself -- if you like FROGs -- is great. Artogon Games just keeps getting better and better.

posted in Curse at Twilight: Thief of Souls Collector's Edition on Jan 13, 12 3:35 PM
Just finished playing the CE version of the game and for the first time in a long time I am VERY happy that I purchased a CE version. I needed 8-9 hours to play the full game (I am a very thorough player who refuses to use a walk-through unless I absolutely have to). The map feature facilitates moving around the playing field, and having to earn a map room by collecting coins makes it that much more enjoyable. The game does occasionally require you to move through areas you have already covered but nothing like those games that seem to have you go all over just to take up playing time (known as the Goofy Duck Syndrome because you wear out so many pairs of tennis shoes). The Hidden Obj scenes are easy; the mini-games vary in quality. There is a lot to keep you thinking. I look forward to the sequel -- I only hope the devs take the time to make it as good as this game was. This game is not the equal of RTR (what is?) but it is challenging and enjoyable.

posted in World Riddles: Secrets of the Ages on Sep 24, 11 11:01 AM
I love these games and buy them automatically. But this one is disappointing because of the colored tiles As many others have said, it is sometimes impossible to distinguish between the background and the tiles you have/have not turned over. To me, this does not make the game more challenging but only more frustratingly difficult. The earlier games were difficult but coherent. This one is messy. And it's the last time I buy without trying the game first. Too bad-- I have been looking forward to another game in this series. I hope the devs treat us better next time. It wasn't broke; there was nothing to fix. And this game must be next to impossible for those players with "aging eyes." Perhaps next time the devs can give us an option of backgrounds?

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator