Posts created by jessikart

Just waiting for my Sainsburys delivery, then I'm going to download and revel in this! Happy playing everyone, and thank you to all the brilliant fishies who truly are Master Detectives!

Can someone please PM me about the secret identity of Charlie Boy? Pretty please?

Katko vs briney?uh oh guys, don't open any doors too suddenly!

Has no one else suggested the theme from 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service' yet? If not, may I suggets the remix by the Propellerheads. Perfect for an MD as they prepare to abseil down a building

Lady_Cav wrote:Thank you, Mr_Russ and KtPeapod. I appreciate the answer.

I have read before that those native citizens familiar with British accents can tell immediately what region of the country they are from, somewhat similar to us being able to differentiate between a Texan, Bostonian, New Yorker, or Georgian.

But to those of us not familiar with British accents and dialects, it's not always easy to see what is a natural accent versus a contrived one. I was lucky enough to visit England a few years back, but am still unable to understand precisely why the accent didn't seem quite right you. So thank you.
And again, Happy Birthday, Mr_Russ.

Lady _Cav, the difference in accents in the UK is massive. In my small county of Norfolk the difference from one side of the county to the other is very obvious, even to the point where I don't always understand other people who are from the same city as me: 'Yew now comin' sharpen up sea?' for example.

In the EFR video, the bad accent jumps out a mile. No inflection on most words, mispronounciation of others ('or-thor-o-te-ay' for 'authority') and even the pacing of words is wrong.

Sorry for dragging that off topic!

SabreQueen wrote:stream of concious stuff-
Druids? That oak tree stuff-dru-wid-s (pl. *druwides) meaning "oak-knower The sense of "oak-knower" (or "oak-seer") is confirmed by Pliny the Elder,[11] who in his Natural History etymologised the term as containing the Greek noun ???? (drus), "oak-tree"[16] and the Greek suffix -????.

2nd- the statue on the left in the EFR screen shot seems to be morphing(sic) with tree roots for feet/legs and a womans body- Dryads (???????, sing.: ?????) are tree nymphs in Greek mythology. In Greek drys signifies 'oak,' from an Indo-European root *derew(o)- 'tree' or 'wood'. Thus Dryads are specifically the nymphs of oak trees

Something that's occurred to me and I've not seen mentioned is the story of Apollo and Daphne - she turns into a tree in a similar style to the statue seen in the title screen.

And bad, bad Big Fish... People are 'turning up missing'? How on earth does one 'turn up missing'?

posted in Urban Legends: The Maze on Sep 18, 11 12:57 PM
Very slow download, then a message saying trial expired. Has happened three times so far... Running Windows XP.

This game doesn't need another rave review, but I feel I have to add one anyway!

Brilliant game, great plotline, fantastic graphics and excellent atmosphere - I was seriously spooked by some moments. Loved the Evidence wall, a really clever way of adding more to the game.

Thank you devs, this really feels like a proper CE, not just a SE with SG attached.

posted in PuppetShow: Lost Town on Apr 14, 11 3:58 AM
Thank goodness for the forums! Nearly bought this straight off, but demo'd, then came here to see if it was just me...

Slow, lagging cursor, jerky, out of sync SE when CE was fine What's going on?

Just played a little of the demo to find out what everyone's complaining about re: inventory. Well, it's not how I'd say it, but I don't find it all that annoying. Maybe some of the non UK based fishies should consider from our point of view that sometimes we find your way of pronouncing/spelling words confusing/annoying/just not cricket? And just so you know, there is no such thing a 'British' accent!

Loved the voice acting on this - from what I endured of Margrave Manor 2, I remember that although the game was dire, the voice acting was really good, so I'm pleased they've kept that. I thought the game was...ooookaayyyy... didn't really grab me tonight, but then I'm not really in a game playing mood, so perhaps if I approach it in a better frame of mind I'll enjoy it more. Also, I'm guessing it's a UK based games company and I would like to support home grown talent, so I may yet be tempted to give it another go.

Had a few problems getting the game to run - it froze the first two times I tried to get it to run which ate into my demo time by about twenty minutes, but once up and running I had no problems.

CTEnsley, the convention here is not to post spoilers about games - please can you edit your post to take out or hide all the information about the storyline of the game?

posted in Haunted Legends: The Queen of Spades on Jan 18, 11 4:33 AM
Having the same slooooooow problems as other players - odd when most games play fine, but every now and then I hit a game that just wants to take its time. Very frustrating (especially when you're demoing a game), and as far as I can see everything on my computer is up to date...

posted in Nightmare on the Pacific on Jan 15, 11 12:43 PM
Coronagold wrote:I tried a demo of this a while ago. While it looks well done, 2 things that really don't go together well are panic-driven action stories, and HOGs.
"Help! Help! I'm drowning!"
"I'll be right there son, but first I have to find a hairpin, a horseshoe, lipstick, a melon, a beach ball, a wrench (hey this might come in handy), a wine glass, dice, a ruler, a fleur de lis, a gauntlet, a boomerang, and a babys' arm holding an apple!"
It's like watching an exciting movie yet constantly being told to go outside to pick up the garbage.

I almost want to buy this game just so I can keep giggling at this for longer

posted in Hidden Mysteries: Salem Secrets on Dec 10, 10 1:10 PM
Enjoyed the game - it's not anything earth shattering, but I thought it was altogether well made, and it must be one of the few IH0Gs I've played where I haven't had to resort to the walkthrough!

Mini games were a good mix of lots of different types (I skipped one or two), and generally it was fairly obvious where to use items in the inventory.

The ending was a bit tame, but it is nice to finish a game and know that that's it, finished, rather than having no resolution because the developers are setting up a sequel.

posted in Twisted: A Haunted Carol on Dec 7, 10 3:20 AM
Bump

Robwood wrote:Yeah, they should reshoot the ending so that the dog drowns, too.

Excellent suggestion!

Oh come off it, OP! Did Emma deserve what happened to her In Ravenshearst? What about Rose and her twins? Did they deserve it? (IMO, the twins fate was far more disturbing as they really suffered before their death).

It's just a game you know.

Ahhh-ha!

Thank you! Kind of ironic that Abigail means 'father's joy' then

ahh, thank you.

Shame I won't be replaying the game, so shall remain in blissful ignorance, but heigh ****!

I don't know if I'm missing a trick here, but what's the significance of the 13th skull? Why is the game named after that one skull?

I could understand if the game was 'The 13 Skulls, but the name suggest that skull 13 has more importance than the others...or at least it does to me I know the case diary makes reference to the 13th crew member, but I thought that was more for the final elimination game, not for any other reason.

Or am I missing something blindingly obvious? It wouldn't be the first time

I've played four sessions so far, and only notched up 2 hrs of gameplay, because I'm really having to force myself to play this.

It's not a bad game, it really isn't, it's just not what I expect from a MCF game. I appreciate that the game is much, much bigger than previous MCFs, so some pruning has to be involved, but it is so frustrating when you can clearly see that at some point you're going to need to collect certain items, so you try to do so, but 'game says no'. Or you think to yourself 'ooh! I'll wander over there!'. Game says no.

The huge charm of R2R & DG was for me that you do spend a lot time just wandering randomly, picking up various items with no idea what you'll do with them. You then get increasingly frustrated as you have an inventory full of random items and nothing works anywhere! When you finally have that eureka moment, it is so satisfying. 13th Skull is more like a 5 year olds jigsaw puzzle when you're recovering from the flu. Corners first, pretty coloured bits in the middle. You finish a section, but don't feel you've achieved anything.

And it's just not darned spooky enough! If I'm a master detective, why am I making a gumbo? Why am I looking for a gardener's wet weather gear? Sod that for a game of soldiers, I want to be masterfully detecting!

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator