Posts created by moochorama

posted in The Tiny Bang Story on Jul 28, 16 10:03 AM
Yeah, they used to have a "large file" category where you could find proper adventure games, but they threw it all together with HOGs and IHOGS and whatnot under "adventure" a few years back. Since then finding something to play has been like hunting for a needle in a haystack.

I checked my purchase history, but unfortunately most of the games aren't available for Mac. One I can definitely recommend (and which is available for Mac) is:

- The Inner World

It starts a bit slow, but is well worth it.

Another one I've played but can't really remember (I think it was not great, but fine):

- The Secrets of Da Vinci

I found a few which I've marked down as "maybe someday" but haven't played, so I can't tell you whether they're good or not, but at least they have Mac versions on BF:

- Destination: Treasure Island
- Hotel
- The Legend of Crystal Valley

There's also Syberia, but BF is selling it in three parts for the full price each, which I personally find pretty outrageous - the game is from 2002, and no matter how good it is, this smells like a ripoff to me.

Annnd I'll give you the list of Windows only Adventures I've bought myself from BF anyway, just in case:

- Art of Murder: FBI Confidential
- Dracula Origin
- Nostradamus: The Last Prophecy
- Return to Mysterious Island
- Rhiannon: Curse of the Four Branches

The Nancy Drew series also features a lot of great games (NOT Dossier though, that's some sort of casual game and very different from the rest of the games), but again, not available for Mac. If you get a chance to try them out: Secret of Shadow Ranch, Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake, The Haunting of Castle Malloy, The Phantom of Venice, or Legend of the Crystal Skull are fan favourites and good choices.

If you want to find a good selection of proper adventure games, your best bet is probably to look elsewhere; Botanicula, like the other poster mentioned, is really wonderful (if not really a point&click adventure), as is Broken Age; and there's a whole host of smaller or older games and remakes that's really worth playing. The new(ish) Sam&Max and Monkey Island episodes are pretty good as well.

posted in The Happy Hereafter on Oct 15, 13 2:35 PM
Just build a cellar on your own (in the building tab). I couldn't find a ladder either but after building a cellar I was able to continue.

posted in The Island: Castaway 2 on Mar 14, 13 7:17 PM
This was way better than the 1st game, I liked playing as Yati. The story was better, less B-movie and not quite as predictable (although I saw the final revelation coming), and the dialogue was better too. I thought in the first one (though I liked it enough to get the second game) the dialogue was cheesy and the voice acting often over the top, there were some very annoying voices, too. This time the characters were more likeable and the voices were very nice. Some quests toward the end felt a lot like they were trying to make the game longer by sending you back and forth across the whole island a couple of times, but it wasn't half a bad as towards the end of the first part - and the dratted boars weren't quite as clingy this time around (improvement!). I'm definitely going to replay this one (the first, not so much).

I had no problems with food, I never even thought about buying it - there's so much stuff lying around and you learn a recipe right away, it's no problem at all to keep Yati going. Later on you can earn pearls easily by cooking a couple of the advanced recipes and selling them, so you can get all of the tools. This is really not an adventure (no riddles to solve, just fetch quests and stuff to collect), but it's entertaining and the story is interesting enough to not get bored with the repetition. Liked it.

posted in Nancy Drew: Alibi in Ashes on Oct 20, 12 9:06 AM
rogerscove wrote:Why can't they make them more like the other games?

Because different people like different games. People who like large file adventure games are happy that the games are NOT full of hints, glinting objects and obvious "use this object there" puzzles, but force you to keep track of what happens and think (sometimes hard). I wouldn't play them if they were just another iHog because I find those way too easy and no fun. Please don't complain that games are not your type of game, because there are enough other games out there and it's hard enough to get decent large file adventures these days.

rogerscove wrote:I figure if they won't let you demo the game, then there must be something wrong with it;must be the only way they can sell any of them.

I'm going to buy this one without a second thought, I've been waiting for a new ND game for ages!

posted in Plants vs. Zombies on Sep 19, 12 10:31 AM
Yes, definitely! If you don't have it yet, get it now. I bought the game 2,5 years ago and am still playing it (Vasebreaker Endless, mostly, but sometimes I do a few levels, too). It's a super fun twist on tower defense games, but you don't need to have any experience or even be good at planning as the game has a nice learning curve and you get to know how it works quite naturally.

There's a decent amount of levels (which you can replay and which are not too hard an not too easy) and after you finish them you can unlock minigames and puzzle games and endless modes for the different settings. Lots of extra content and pretty hilarious jokes in there. *Very* addicting; I spent a couple of weeks (months? ) obsessively playing Survival Endless, trying new strategies and pondering the advantages of cob cannons over cattails etc. I even watched youtube videos on strategy (and yes, I tried to click on the suns out of reflex while doing so). Surely one of the best casual games.

posted in Royal Envoy 2 on Jun 10, 12 4:04 AM
I've played this level 6 or 7 times now, every time with time to spare and finishing the second part in one go, and I still am stuck with my measly two stars (on expert level). I tried the suggestions in the other threads and patiently waited until they finished speaking before clicking, still no good. This is so frustrating.

posted in Royal Envoy on Mar 31, 12 5:05 PM
I finally managed to get gold on this level (after about 5 tries) with 5 workers and 1 sawmill / workshop. I immediately built the sawmill and trained two workers, then spent all my gold on wood - 1600, 1600, and 800 (at the same time cleaning the debris).

Then I demolished the sawmill and built a workshop, then cleaned the other lots, and kept the workshop running all the time. I built the flowers and fountains first, then started building cabins and gardens, adding siding in between, then demolished the workshop and built a cabin with garden in the last remaining seconds. I finished with only a sliver of yellow left in the counter, hehehe. But still: gold!

posted in Hidato Adventures on Oct 11, 11 1:25 PM
James0213, you can reset the game by clicking on the "options" button. There's a reset button there that clears all puzzles and the library, so you can start over again.

Edit: Oh, and by the way I don't really get the knight's puzzles either. <.< I get stuck at some point and can't find a logical next step. To me it seems to be all guesswork, so I don't even bother with the knight's puzzles anymore.

posted in Hidato Adventures on Aug 23, 11 3:32 PM
Oh, this was a DD so recently? I totally missed that. Anyway, I bought it a couple of days ago and am not sorry to have paid a credit for it. I hadn't seen this type of puzzle before, I came across it in "Nancy Drew - Shadow at the Water's Edge" and was completely hooked (I still haven't finished the ND game because I keep playing Hidato ), so I was happy when I found there was a whole game full of Hidato puzzles on here.

It's a great puzzle game with LOTS of puzzles that keep getting more difficult and bigger as the game progresses. I haven't had any real problems so far though (and I'm on the last book in the puzzle library now); I could have done with a couple more of the highest difficulty puzzles.

People worrying about the timer shouldn't be worrying *too* much, in the whole game I haven't even come close to running out of time. That doesn't mean that it's too easy, but the challenges are really not too hard either.

It's a good game, I'm glad I bought it. Recommended to people who like logic puzzles and who like to have a game they can play in between stuff.

posted in Hidato Adventures on Aug 23, 11 3:16 PM
Great tip, thanks! This made gameplay so much better; I was using the tile selector thingy when I demoed the game and thought this would slow me down unneccessarily. Bought it now and am having a lot of fun with it. You can also put little locks on the silver tiles by right clicking on them, so you won't pick them up again accidentally. If you choose to clear the board you also have the option to keep the locked tiles.

posted in Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars on Mar 21, 11 10:25 AM
Ah, good to know that the blue circles aren't in the original game - and that I'm not the only one who is bothered by them to the point of probably not buying the game. I was pretty much determined to get it, as the game passed me by in the 90s (although I remember a friend repeatedly recommending it to me!), but those blue circles take all the adventure-feeling out of the game.

I always wanted to get the game someday, but I never did because I didn't want to face all the hassle of getting it to run on a new system, so I was delighted that they brought out an updated version. It's a shame that they apparently felt the need to adapt to casual adventures and IHOGs. I don't mind that they gave help and the hint system for inexperienced players, but why can't I turn it off? It's not an adventure if I'm being led through the game by the hand.

Still not sure whether to get it anyways or try and get hold of the old version.

posted in The Secrets of Da Vinci on Dec 5, 10 4:30 PM
I think she only asks if she has her hands on your shoulders on the pic in your inventory. Important thing is to not be angry with her for too long

posted in Nancy Drew: The Final Scene on Nov 14, 10 9:29 AM
It took me about 8 hours to complete without a walkthrough (that's an educated guess though, I didn't stop the time ), so it's a rather shorter game than other ND games. It's not my favourite either, but if you like the Nancy Drew games, you probably won't regret buying it.

posted in Nancy Drew: Warnings at Waverly Academy on Nov 10, 10 7:20 PM
Don't panic, it didn't walk off on its own It's still where it fell, search until your magnifying glass turns red, then click.

posted in Nancy Drew: Warnings at Waverly Academy on Nov 10, 10 7:16 PM
While making points, try to aim for the inner middle circle, which will give you triple points of the respective number.
While claiming numbers, claim the bull's eye and high numbers first (to prevent Leela from taking said triple points), don't bother with the 25er ring until you've locked the numbers down to 8 or so.

posted in Nancy Drew: Warnings at Waverly Academy on Nov 10, 10 7:11 PM
You can see it through the door of the locked classroom near the rec room. You'll have to get in there though to take the photo

posted in Nancy Drew: Warnings at Waverly Academy on Nov 10, 10 7:09 PM
You don't need to go to her room every time. She leaves you the notes on the PC more or less as soon as you leave the computer. So you can just upload the pics, step away from the PC and maybe do something else, and when you return you'll see whether or not she has accepted them. You can also take several pictures at different angles and upload them all (if there are enough slots left) and see if she accepts any of them. It only took me two or three tries to get the emblem right. You need to zoom in and pan down, and take it with your back directly to the door, don't stand directly in front of the emblem.

posted in Cookie Domination on Oct 30, 10 6:03 AM
I liked the game. I don't see anything offensive about it, it's just a game, and the choice of protagonists is pretty tongue in cheek, I'd say. The fights are rather cutesy, the cookie clubs are just fighting each other with their respective accesoires. Actually it looks more like a sports competition.

Gameplay is pretty similar to an old Asterix game from the Playstation from about ten years ago ( I don't think anyone complained about Romans and Gauls beating each other up ), but without the minigames and jump & run levels. I loved that game back then and was excited to see there was a new version to be had. Im not sure if I'll buy this one though (I miss the minigames and j&r levels ), as I liked the old Asterix one more, and the fighting intermezzos weren't really necessary and dragged the game down a bit, speedwise.

The tutorial was a little confusing, as it didn't really tell you how many rounds there were, how many reinforcements you get and when, and what was to be next. Playing the game itself is more enlightening

I can't imagine any kid being induced to start bullying and/or fighting by this game. Kids are not stupid. Bullies will be bullies regardless, they defilnitely won't become bullies by playing games like Cookie Domination.

posted in Dragon Portals on Oct 9, 10 5:31 AM
I liked the style of matching, the music and the graphics, but the difficulty level was rising way too fast for me The dragons kept crashing on level 2-6 and there was nothing I could do. Single matches weren't enough to keep them afloat, but when I get frantic I'm not really able to make double matches
I also found it frustrating that the dragons started descending at the start of each level even before you were able to make your first matches because you had to wait for the locks to fall in place.
I really liked the overall concept but when I find myself shouting at the screen during the trial already, I know this won't be good for my mental health

posted in Mole Control on Oct 6, 10 11:52 AM
Love it so far. Had to reinstall and accept the DirectX installation, although I'm pretty sure that my DirectX was fairly recent. Anyway, great take on minesweeper, liked the bomb moles and am interested what else the game has in store. Might buy it, actually.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator