Posts created by nellyandjohnny

posted in Delicious: Emily's Moms vs Dads Collector's Edition on Feb 26, 18 2:08 AM
I hope I'm missing something and it's not a technical issue but when the baby has a nappy change and you are asked to 'rub', I'm rubbing and rubbing but nothing happens. I've tried holding the button still and I've tried frantically tapping. Not sure what else to try? Thank you

posted in Katy and Bob: Safari Cafe Collector's Edition on Oct 10, 17 6:40 AM
Fun graphics, nice idea but sadly the most unchallenging time management game I've played so far - so easy to smash the target every time and the restaurant doesn't change. I uninstalled without finishing

posted in Mary le Chef: Cooking Passion Collector's Edition on May 28, 17 6:15 AM
sarahdrich wrote:I'm a big fan of the Emily series and figured this would be very similar. Unfortunately, this particular game is ridiculously easy - even on the difficult setting. On several levels I scored almost 1,000 points beyond what was needed to get three stars. I kept thinking that maybe it would get more difficult, but after just finishing level 20 now it doesn't appear to be that way. I'm not sure if this was intentional - if so, I don't think it's a good thing for the game. The whole point of having difficulty levels is to cater to different levels of players. To be honest, I'd like to ask for a refund. I was expecting something much better based on all the other Emily games I've purchased in the past, and this was a real disappointment.
I completely agree. A real shame because it was a cute story and could have been great but zero challenge at all. At one point I left my computer to shut a window, came back and still got 3 stars!! If you like a bit of a challenge I wouldn't bother. I checked to see if I was on expert at one point. Disappointed as I too love the Emily series and Fabulous was pretty good too!

posted in Nancy Drew: Message in a Haunted Mansion on Nov 7, 13 9:12 AM
This is my 3rd Nancy Drew game and as I understand it, the 3rd in the series so it's quite an old one. I previously played Shadow at the Water's Edge and The Phantom of Venice, which are newer games and in some respects I preferred those as I found the navigation easier and the checklist is very helpful. They are also more exciting in that you travel around to different locations in each city as well as within the building you are staying in.

Really wasn't sure at first about this one as it definitely felt 'old' in comparison to the other two and with this one, the game takes place in one building only, the haunted mansion. You don't ever get to go outside. I stuck with it though and am glad I did! It's a good storyline and it flows pretty well. As with all the Nancy Drew games, a lot of detective work is required and I really like the fact you always have to be thinking outside the box, jotting down clues and trying to piece things together - be warned though, it's not always logic that leads you to the next clue/stage of the game and some puzzles are really quite frustrating. The slider puzzle near the end of the game was particularly frustrating and there are no skip options so know that you do have to complete each puzzle before being able to continue. I like the atmosphere of this game, the music, the story and a good ending too! Who'd have thought that's how you stop the villain!? Clever.

If you are shopping around to see if Nancy Drew games are for you (because there are no trials available) I would thoroughly recommend them as they are different to the normal adventure/IHOG games on here and are very good value for money. I find them pretty difficult, sometimes exasperating but also very rewarding and challenging. If you are ready for a new challenge go for it. When I finished my first Nancy Drew game, I was excited to see how many more I had left to play! How I will ever complete one without the help of a forum or a walkthrough though, I'll never know! HAPPY GAMING!

posted in Nancy Drew: Message in a Haunted Mansion on Nov 7, 13 8:49 AM
Nearly tore my hair out with this one until I got some advice that the empty slot will always finish up in the top right hand corner of a slider puzzle. Didn't know that!

So based on that, I worked on completing the top left of the puzzle (opposite side to where the empty slot needs to finish up) and worked my way DOWN to the bottom left. Once I had the left side of the puzzle complete, the rest quite easily slotted into place. (Sadly for me, I forgot to 'save' right after this, didn't manage to capture the villain so it took me right back to the slider puzzle again when I tried to save at the final scene! Aarrrrgh! But....used the same format and completed it quickly! Then made sure I SAVED the moment it was completed!)

So, in a nutshell, try always starting at the opposite side and work your way over to the empty slot in the top right corner. The minute you have solved it, save the game to avoid having to do it all over again!! Hope that helps!

posted in Nancy Drew: Message in a Haunted Mansion on Nov 6, 13 10:17 AM
This is my 3rd Nancy Drew game and yes, they sure do take a bit of getting used to after the usual adventure games on here...but they are so great if you are ready for a new challenge and definitely worth the money. Patience definitely required and I certainly can't finish them without some help now and again from a walkthrough, or this forum. Gameboomers has walkthroughs for all of them and have proved invaluable to me!!

My 1st game was Shadow at the Water's Edge. I loved it but some parts are so tricky and at times you want to despair as there's no 'skip' button for any puzzles. My 2nd was Phantom of Venice so both newer 'Drew' games. Both are exciting with Shadow being really quite creepy at times! I love that you have no choice but to investigate like a detective and they certainly take you out of your comfort zone. In Phantom of Venice, there are some situations where I was almost tearing my hair out and had no clue what to do. For example, the final water bridge puzzle!!......how on earth has anybody ever managed this without a step-by-step instruction from a walkthrough??? In some respects, I think the Nancy games are a little too hard at times...there's nothing quite like getting to the climax of a game and not having a clue what to do other than follow step-by-step instructions from somebody who's done it before!! Not very challenging at all if you feel you don't have a hope of completing it.

This game, being 3rd (so I read) in the series seems strange again for me, as it's somewhat 'old' now in comparison to the two I played before. I spent a good hour thinking I didn't like it, but persevered and glad I did. The navigation is frustrating at times but you do get used to it ie remember to shut the door again, close the book again...where's the 'turn around' arrow at times? When you're starting out, it's hard when you realise you really do have to speak to everybody until the conversation is exhausted and 'phone a friend' if you're stuck. You also have to time it all right otherwise you may not get to meet these people at all! On the whole though, I'm very glad of the new challenges after a couple of years playing the traditional style adventure/IHOG games.

So far, I prefer the two newer Drew games..the checklist is really helpful - and it's fun to travel around cities learning new cultures and languages! Don't give up..just cheat a little now and again!

posted in Nancy Drew: Message in a Haunted Mansion on Nov 6, 13 6:09 AM
The mistake I made was not setting the alarm for exactly 12 noon - I was just waiting for the time to go past 12 noon naturally and he never appeared. Try setting the alarm for exactly 12pm and then heading straight for the study. This fixed it for me and there he was! As for Abby, make sure you're not knocking on the door between 3pm and 6pm as she won't be in (schedule on the sideboard with Rose). Obviously this is therefore a good time to nose around her room without getting caught. Hope that helps!

posted in Nancy Drew: The Phantom of Venice on Nov 5, 13 12:45 PM
That's exactly the game that sprung to my mind! Shadow at the Water's Edge is my favourite so far. Creepy though but loved the whole Japanese theme!

posted in Nancy Drew: The Phantom of Venice on Nov 5, 13 10:38 AM
Hi Julesyhedgehog - I followed your instructions below and all went well until I got to no.8, 9 and 10! Please help I am completely stuck! I climb the ladder, turn around, fill no 9, climb the ladder, fill no 10....then nothing! No new tunnel with arrow. I can't get out to start again and I'm completely lost

posted in Mystery Trackers: Silent Hollow Collector's Edition on Sep 11, 13 2:15 PM
BronzeLady wrote:After using the fire power to start the fire for the train engine, the hand stuck on the screen and wouldn't go away until I completed the next HOS which took a bit to get to that point. Meanwhile, the hand blocked the inventory tray and I couldn't see the objects covered by the hand, although I could click around the tray and retrieve them. Glad the problem corrected itself. If others experience this same problem, then there is a glitch in the game and my puter isn't to blame.
Yep same here! Definitely a game glitch!

posted in Gardens Inc.: From Rakes to Riches on Mar 24, 13 11:44 AM
lilpollyesther wrote:Nice little game that I would buy, except the cursor floats, the game lags and stutters, so it would be impossible to get any where near the time limits for gold. Very frustrating...too bad.
Me too! So disappointed as the game had great potential (although maybe a bit too long but at least you get your money's worth- it it will work for you). About half way through each chapter my cursor began to float all over the place, the characters stuttered everywhere and in some places the animal hunter got jammed and wouldn't move from the spot. I also tried to pick up materials and just got the 'yellow ring' when this shouldn't have been the case. Burglars were impossible to click on at times because of the characters juddering/stuttering. So frustrating. Didn't want to give up but the final chapters I couldn't bear it anymore!!

posted in Death at Fairing Point: A Dana Knightstone Novel on Dec 12, 12 1:49 PM
thebud1 wrote:my cursor would not line up with any of the items I was supposed to be doing. I uninstalled it, until the bugs could be worked out
Same here - the cursor is about an inch out from the object and I couldn't even get it to acknowledge the safe! Played for all of 2 minutes in the trial and uninstalled. Impossible to play.

posted in Burger Bustle on Sep 4, 12 12:49 PM
I agree. This is the worst TM game I have played. I'm about to uninstall and am very sorry I wasted a credit on it. Not only is it really monotonous (I couldn't care less now whether I get a cup or not), but the strategies on most levels must be very very precise as I have stopped gaining cups very early on. Sometimes you've played a strategy that could only work yet all the customers that come in just don't order what you've got on offer and this goes on for AGES! There they are, all your ingredients sitting there ready and nobody orders what you need! Very very frustrating and although at first I wanted to try and beat the system I am really not going to waste any more time on this. Big thumbs down!

posted in Katy and Bob: Way Back Home on Jul 26, 12 5:58 AM
On the whole this is a really cute TM game, but after reaching a certain level (23 maybe?) I could very very rarely get 'expert' and some levels I couldn't complete the tasks no matter how hard I tried. It's certainly a challenging one!

SPOILER ALERT: (i think) - I would say that there could be more noticeable differences when you move to new bars - you do start feeling in the latter levels that it's a bit 'more of the same' over and over again. You do however get value for money in that it's a long game, the graphics are cute and I love the bar mixing theme - it's fun. It's got that addictive edge we love in dash games - so on the whole a tick from me. Although, have to agree ..it may prove more stressful than relaxing, especially if you have to deal with tricky customers at work LOL!

posted in Art of Murder: Cards of Destiny on Jul 26, 12 5:28 AM
Blimey not even sure I've worked out how to quote and reply in the forum yet let alone play the game LOL!

Elirana your comments were very helpful thank you! I played the FBI Confidential game about a year ago and remember being very very confused at the beginning. I kept dipping into the game and then giving up in exasperation but eventually persevered and have to say it really was worth it! I hope this one is the same. It's always very disheartening having to use the walk through from the word go but in this case I see it as a necessary start in 'helping you on your way'. I have to say though that even the walk through didn't help me at the beginning of this one as I could not find the bolt anywhere! The forum got me out of that hole thankfully. My advice is to use both as much as you like at the beginning and you will soon learn how the game works and how you're expected to think. In FBI Confidential I found I turned less and less to the walk through - it then becomes a very rewarding and challenging game and a real change from the standard adventure/HOG games.

So my advice is: if you're new at the HOG's and adventure games this may prove way too frustrating and puzzling for you right now. Wait until you really fancy a change and are looking for a new, more difficult challenge. I would say this is for the more hardened adventure gamer. Those who are already here and really wanting to NOT give up like me, stick at it. And remember as Elirana advises...she DOES run, there are tricks to be learned, and you CAN skip that annoying movie at the beginning! And I'm of course hoping that all this grey matter I'm having to use will one day save me from dementia!!

posted in Art of Murder: Cards of Destiny on Jul 26, 12 5:03 AM
Elirana wrote:SPOILER ALERT
As an old and long time gamer, you get used to 'the tricks of the trade'. Double click to run and access new areas quickly. Use right click on everything for descriptions and on inventory items to bring them up in a large window, then examine AND turn item. You'll see an arrow by hand on cursor. Try using inventory objects on item. You should have found items to, 'examine small details' and to open package. Turn the box to access 2 objects and examine separately. The tablets are good for soaking things. Check out the phone!! Then look to the map on the table. Pick up everything that's not nailed down. You can combine objects in inventory.
You can't leave by the front door until............ I left and accessed the next area in my hour trial. Its a great game and hopefully, no HOs. I think there is a glitch as there is no speach sound, yet there is a voice adjustment in options. Maybe when I load the full game????
I love games where there is no rush, just using your imagination and ingenuity and trying things that are totally daft. And the cheeky comments you get from Nicole. LOL. Have fun all.

posted in City of Secrets on Feb 22, 12 11:41 AM
Yep. I'm having the same problem at the dump with the rubbish. Skip button doesn't work and very frustrating mini-game. I have to Task Manager to get out of the scene..aaaahhh!

posted in City of Secrets on Feb 22, 12 11:38 AM
Yep same here Glad I've read that you're happy to have moved on or else I might have given up and abandoned the game!! So....here we go...again. Back to the rubbish cart........for the 100th time. Sigh.......

posted in Nancy Drew: Shadow at the Water's Edge on Dec 25, 11 11:17 AM
Wow! This is the first Nancy Drew game I have played. I was always reluctant because of the no-demos but I took the plunge and used a credit. What fantastic value and now I'm really excited because I've got LOADS of Nancy Drews to play!

There were a couple of real frustrations in the puzzles. Some of them are BIG and take a long time, or are difficult and timed, so if you don't like puzzles that have no SKIP options then probably not for you but maybe there are other Nancy Drew games with less of them?

The story was great and I loved the Japanese theme particularly the Bento moments (loved those puzzles). It's pretty creepy and jumpy in places too which was fun.

There's a lot of walking around to do, exploring, travelling,..which I found frustrating at first.... but once I'd really got into the game and understood the fact that you really are trying to solve a mystery I loved it! Pretty addictive game play and HOURS of it!

In a nutshell I'm really happy I took the plunge and right now, I'm shopping for another one!

posted in Age of Enigma: The Secret of the Sixth Ghost on Oct 27, 11 5:29 AM
I really enjoyed this game! It felt like a refreshing change to lots of other adventure games I've recently played,despite the theme being the usual sort of thing. The graphics are crisp, the music is fitting and unobtrusive and no real HOG's which was a nice break. The only HOG moments are to find inventory items.

The mini games are great I loved them (although did have to skip one or two). The 'guide' gives you enough clues if you're stuck without there being a hint button. No 'hair tearing out' moments but many I had to think about and scout around for a while - great balance for an adventure game. A nice variety of scenes and mini stories to keep you interested. It took me about 3 - 3.5 hours to play..maybe a little on the short side but I don't feel cheated at all, particularly as I had it on the sale!!

If you like quirky little adventure games I wouldn't hesitate in buying it!

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator