Posts created by NancySusan

posted in The Andersen Accounts: Chapter One Collector's Edition on Apr 10, 18 2:19 PM
Notes to myself before I gave up on the demo entirely, with 37 minutes left, and I only lasted that long because I wanted to be distracted by something: the guy goes to a cash machine so that he has enough money when he meets his love, Rachel, at a local bar, near her "new" apartment. He takes out a majestic $10, which would pay for maybe one drink. The bartender is smoking, and probably there are few places left in the U.S. where this is legal, and this is a made-up town, but it's certainly not legal anywhere in NYC or thereabouts. My favorite oops moment was "Missing People Cases," which made me burst out laughing. It's Missing Persons technically, no one in law enforcement or the media would ever use the term missing people cases. The voice artist for Rachel was just awful. Our hero is able to open the back of a TV remote to access the wiring, something no one else can do other than maybe a TV repair or installation person. He also collects an antenna, so apparently no one in this place has cable. Or even DirectTV. In the hospital the equipment monitoring his vital signs is disconnected, but magically no one at the nurses' station knows this. Someone else's medical record is locked in his clothes locker, why? Rachel's apartment building looks like something out of no era I can think of, and is a total mess, the mailboxes, so-called, are absurd, and despite the graphic stating one is locked, in reality 3 are locked. This game is set in the present, but it's not any real present -- it's still another dark, moody, game set in a decrepit place, where everything is completely not like virtually any technology anyone in 2018 uses. And the mini-games and HOP's are repetitive. No buy for me, glad some have liked it, but I didn't. At all.

posted in Nevertales: Creator's Spark Collector's Edition on Mar 10, 18 5:46 AM
[Removed by Moderator] I often leave negative reviews, by the way, although recently I haven't liked the games enough to leave a review at all. I'm going to check this one out, though. [Removed by Moderator]

posted in Dark Romance: Winter Lily Collector's Edition on Jan 30, 18 6:02 PM
I enjoyed the demo enough to purchase the game, but ended up being fairly disappointed by the game as a whole, to the point that I gave up early on the bonus round and deleted the game from my computer. What looked promising just began to be endlessly repetitive in terms of the mini-games and tasks in general. Characters which could have been important to the story disappeared once they were freed/saved or whatever the task was about them, so that they never helped the two frequently hapless main characters. King William was imprisoned so often, it's a wonder he accomplished anything, and Princess Lily was stuck back doing women's work making endless potions, and when she finally got to progress forward, wham, she needed to be saved. For people who hated the fairy's extremely high voice, no problem, she disappears from the story after a while too. Finally, I'm totally in agreement with DatPixie Girl -- Queen Grace's voice was horrendous, sort of slooooowww, seemingly mentally incapacitated and hiding what sounded like some kind of weird Southern U.S. accent, and even after being saved from enchantment, she hardly sounded different. I couldn't move fast enough to skip through her dialogue, and while I wouldn't want to deprive an actor of a livelihood, still, she should never do another game again, or at least be prevented from doing this to another character. Dark Romance: Winter Lily had all the elements for a beautiful, fun game, but it's like no one thought out how to evolve beyond a concept.

I betaed this one, and remember having a lot of issues with it, some of which have been fixed, including mini-games with little or no coherent information, which at least you can understand now. Let's start with a 25 year old princess, taken just after her birth to a monastery, where she falls into a deep sleep, only to wake 25 years later, when her twin, Sybill (sp.?), has somehow been abducted, the both of them separated at birth. Fara has the amazing ability to speak language, comprehend her surroundings, read, solve problems, and perhaps as amazing, walk, after 25 years of being in the same position, asleep. No rehab for our princess. While the game makes more sense than in the beta version, I didn't like it enough to continue beyond the 23 minutes I gave the demo: I didn't like the premise, I didn't like the graphics, I thought the headdress on the nanny absolutely ridiculous, the snowstorm she couldn't see through mini-game looked endless in trying to figure out how to move forward without having to replenish the flame, etc., and the mini-game with the knights was very clunky to play. No, no, no. Ultimately, I was stuck on the amazing princess who could speak, read, walk and recognize all kinds of things she'd never seen before. Just, no.

posted in Noir Chronicles: City of Crime Collector's Edition on Jan 15, 18 6:51 AM
I was really enjoying your game, but started to have some second thoughts, and I've copied in part of my review from the review thread. I love mysteries, and also am glad to see no supernatural nonsense in a game, just a good mystery, but there was a sloppiness about the game which bothered me.

"Coming back to the game the next day, I have to point out some real and incomprehensible anomalies about it: 1) Fox and several other characters have versions of various British accents, but everyone else has U.S., so there is no sense of place (and the graphics don't suggest any particular place either); 2) there are a lot of anomalies in the HOP's and generally - mixing objects from anywhere between the 1950's through the 1980's, in a story that has to be late '50's or so, including battery operated drills, cassette tapes, and Rubik's cubes. This started irritating me, and I also found the 2nd version of the punch your opponent mini-game to be just obnoxious. I love mysteries, but I'm not sure if this is going to be one of them -- there have been good observations about having to constantly find parts of parts to complete objects in order to complete tasks. I forgot to mention there are morphing objects in the HOP's, something I also like, but I have to think about whether or not I really want this game, given all the issues."

These issues really took away from the game for me, and I'm still trying to decide if I want to buy it. I would hope that the next game maybe there is more consistency as to time and place.

posted in Noir Chronicles: City of Crime Collector's Edition on Jan 13, 18 11:39 AM
I had no problem with the SG in the demo, so I'm not sure if this is a thing, i.e., an issue for some people, or it was just overlooked by pennmom36, but It's sitting right there to be used, and I actually opened it a few times to look at it. What they didn't do was unlock the collectibles chapter, but the collectibles are fairly obvious foot and handprints, not hard to locate. I sort of like this game so far, even with the sort of faked but interesting English accent that Fox, the former lover/boyfriend has. BFG's description of the game is Detective Gingertail?????, but the guy is Detective Fox, or private detective. Someone mentioned that the beta was originally done with animals rather than humans, and it might be nice for BF to change the description, which is off-putting to say the least. I'm edging in the direction of purchase, but will play a little more before I decide.

Coming back to the game the next day, I have to point out some real and incomprehensible anomalies about it: 1) Fox and several other characters have versions of various British accents, but everyone else has U.S., so there is no sense of place (and the graphics don't suggest any particular place either); 2) there are a lot of anomalies in the HOP's and generally - mixing objects from anywhere between the 1950's through the 1980's, in a story that has to be late '50's or so, including battery operated drills, cassette tapes, and Rubik's cubes. This started irritating me, and I also found the 2nd version of the punch your opponent mini-game to be just obnoxious. I love mysteries, but I'm not sure if this is going to be one of them -- there have been good observations about having to constantly find of parts to complete objects in order to complete tasks. I forgot to mention there are morphing objects in the HOP's, something I also like, but I have to think about whether or not I really want this game, given all the issues. Luckily for me I played the demo with no technical issues at all, sorry for those who did (pennmom36 comes to mind, hopefully it gets better). So, I have to think about this.

posted in Beyond the Invisible: Darkness Came on Jan 10, 18 3:21 PM
I was taken aback at the horrific English, which was all over the place, misspelled, and just plain weird. He is amiss, meaning, I suppose he feels off somehow, but amiss is the wrong word. One word is missing it's final "e," and the back of his car is both the boot (U.K.) and the trunk (U.S.). There's an electric air dryer for wet hands outside in the street next to a fountain, the bottom of the fountain is a sink, this just kept on happening, and I got tired of it. When I went to BF, I was thinking of 3 stars, and right now as I post, that's the rating for the posted reviews. Really unpolished and sloppy.

posted in Danse Macabre: A Lover's Pledge Collector's Edition on Dec 3, 17 8:26 AM
The things that put me off this game the most were the complete abandonment of any time sense and lack of real understanding of the milieu the game is set in. It looks like it's supposed to be mid-19th century, based on the red dress Julia's wearing, but we encounter: a bright red light (meaning electricity) on a train at the beginning; Julia's long flowing hair which would belong to a woman from the mid-late 20th c. to the present; light bulbs; a dummy seated for some reason in the orchestra seats, dressed in a World War II costume; an airplane icon in a HOP; mid-20th century high heels; a wig from the late 19th-early 20th century (Gibson Girl) on a wig base from the 1950's or '60's or thereabouts; a wire cello string, and a closet of costumes ranging from early 20th century woman's dress to another World War II uniform. In addition we have this odd gizmo for marking rehearsal times, which include a 30 minute time slot for a dress rehearsal and a time slot for a singing rehearsal with an icon of a woman holding a mic; using a seam ripper to retrieve an object caught in the laces at the back of a dress by cutting the laces, then finishing the bizarre dress repair, completely ignoring that when Julia tries to put that dress on, it won't stay on because the laces were cut, but clearly the game makers didn't think that through. The dressmaker has a bunch of activities expected of her which dressmakers would never do. No one else is in the opera house but her, Julia and Clementine, although we're supposed to be surrounded by a bustle of activity, which seems to include a ballet corps (missing). Epix made this, you can see by the nice color and design, but with absolutely no sense of time and place, and not much understanding about mounting a production. A dress rehearsal means you run the entire play/production in costume. Everywhere I went I bumped into more anomalies, and for a while I stayed with it, trying to pin down when this game is set, but just gave up. For people who don't care about this -- I do because I've studied costume and I've been an actor/singer -- these may not be deal breakers, but for me, gah. I just gave up. I didn't find it as boring as some have, but that may be because I was so aggravated by the constant bumping into anomalies, I didn't have time to be bored.

I don't know what's happened with this series, but other than the same slightly chirpy voice over actress, whose acting usually doesn't have much to do with the actual scene, the game doesn't seem like a part of the series in its graphics, color, game play, anything. It feels like a throwback -- even the cursor and magnifying glass look simply drawn. What really got to me though was, as others have commented, every time you go not only from one scene to another, but within a scene, there's a loading scene we see briefly, as it tells us it's loading. After the nth time I saw that in only the first 27 minutes of game play, I gave up and deleted the game. This feels and looks very old-fashioned, and the acting is pretty bad. Some people may like it, if the technical aspects don't bother them, but it certainly bothered me.

posted in Midnight Calling: Wise Dragon Collector's Edition on Sep 3, 17 7:36 AM
Well, I minded this game a lot less than I thought I would, but there is a serious repetitiveness with placing this object into that object all the time and not much else to do. I liked the color scheme, I didn't mind the attempted fantastical aspect, I did mind the voiceovers, which did not match any of the characters. Drake came off as about as callow as they come, and our heroine doesn't sound much better. I didn't mind the pretty silly looking racoon helper either, which does some pretty un-racoonlike things like hiss and gesticulate and throw things at creatures impeding game play, but otherwise it stays quietly on the lower left looking slightly loopy. There are HOPs now and then, and I always like collectibles and morphing objects, but generally after about 60 minutes of play, I wasn't sure I cared enough to continue. I don't think I'll get this game, just because it doesn't hold my interest, but I've played far worse. It's a nice game, and some people should enjoy it.

posted in Agatha Christie: The ABC Murders on Aug 16, 17 8:10 AM
As a disclaimer I should say that I read mysteries all the time, and while Christie is not my favorite writer, I've read a lot of her books, including Poirot and seen all the Poirot's on TV and in film. I really didn't like this game, and I wanted to. I appreciate the attempt at British and French accents, which mostly were pretty successful and appropriate, but I hated the cartoonish graphics, the color palette (grays, tan, etc.), the bizarre way hints were handled and the near-impossibility of moving objects when I zoomed in, because the cursor was quite slow and quirky. This only happened when I zoomed in, by the way, the rest of the time it was fine, but was a system cursor. I'm a pretty experienced player of HOP/Adventure games, and I found this game confusing and ultimately when I subtracted the issues I had with the cursor, I had no idea what I was doing or why from moment to moment. The cursor was the deciding factor, but finding 4 or 5 things to fulfill a statement by Poirot when there was very little to choose from or even miss, and having the Poirot figure march from one point to the other, would have eventually bored me to tears. I do not recommend this game, although it's clear that some people really do like it and had no trouble with the play, so good for them. Not for me at all.

posted in Agatha Christie: The ABC Murders on Aug 16, 17 8:00 AM
I also had cursor problems, and my computer is Windows 10+, totally up to date on all programs. The cursor problem was primarily when I zoomed in on something and tried to move it, but at one point, when I clicked on on the clue (hint), nothing happened, and I had trouble convincing the game to let me exit. Never had any problems with games since Windows XP, which is several years ago.

For several years, I bought all the Mystery Trackers games, but recently the stories and repetitive play, plus the use of Elf in ridiculous places made me lose interest. I decided to take a chance on this after playing the demo: I love Elf and usually find at least some of the stories intriguing, but this one made me totally short-tempered by the end, despite the rather interesting plot. By the middle of the game, I began to think of it as the endless keys and shapes game: fitting this shape into that, and I do mean endlessly doing so, to open everything from a girl's room to a refrigerator, to many, many doors, drawers, cabinets, etc. Find the key, find the shape, play some hidden object games, play some mini-games, several of which were no brainers, interspersed with mini-games that, at least for me, never made sense, so that I skipped them. This may be because I'm dyslexic, and sometimes game instructions really make no sense to me, but I've been playing these kinds of games for about 7 or 8 years now, and I'm usually very good at them. Generally, I never look at the SG except to confirm collectibles, but I actually checked it for several of the mini-games. And who would send a dog of any size into a industrial fan which was currently turned off, as if that guarantees safety? I deleted the game at the end of regular play and did not go to the bonus chapter. I will say, I always like collectibles, but with the repetitiveness of actions, I totally lost interest and just wanted it to be over.

posted in Haunted Legends: The Black Hawk Collector's Edition on Mar 9, 17 12:24 PM
I can't say I loved this game, and I know far too much about 17th century France to suspend disbelief enough to play the game with any degree of fun. No last name of anyone I saw was actually French, either made up like Blua, or English like Rave or Astor, or just odd, like Charlie. Two sous have a final "s," it's not two sou. Having the Cardinal as a good guy kind of irks me, and those monks, normally the least wealthy and impressive in the hierarchy, were living in a pretty fancy place, and all those locks we have to open to do anything, and if I had problems with my heart, I wouldn't want to wait the time it took to get the locked cabinet open where my heart medicine was concealed, and why conceal it in the first place. Not for me, even with the collectible which was very easy to see and the morphing objects which weren't that interesting. I hate the troll guy and the nasty cat -- I seem to remember doing a beta in this series recently and having the same reactions. It's obvious some people will have fun with this, but not me. Sorry.

posted in Cadenza: Fame, Theft and Murder Collector's Edition on Mar 4, 17 12:49 PM
Very pleased with this game, with 30 mins. left in the demo, so far at least a favorite Cadenza for me. Love the music -- just to correct, the character is Mike Valence, and just before a huge gig in his hometown, Adam forces a body switch on him, and he has a limited amount of time to save himself. Very intriguing story for a change, interesting things to do, mini-games are mostly understandable, HOP's have morphing objects, collectibles are records, just a lot of fun and engrossing. Hopefully, the rest of the game is this good, because it's definitely a buy for me. Now and then a game comes out which makes the BFG membership worth it. This is one.

Well, I liked the little helper and didn't mind its gymnastics over in the the lower right hand corner, but that was about all I liked about the demo. There's nothing wrong with it, it just didn't excite me that much, and at the end we have another terrible woman-goddess or something figure, making me wonder why so many of these games now have a woman villain, when in the real world, well, pretty much the opposite. The story begins with a death, and the dead man is the excuse for exploring the rest of the plot, but his story is lost, at least during the demo. I found that the overall plot built in interest, but there is a lot of put this shape into its slot and find x and then use x and then move on. Kind of repetitive. Donovan, the police detective, turns out to be a lot more interesting than he seemed, but by then the demo has ended, and I didn't care enough to continue, not even to save the female investigator. I'm kind of a fiend for collectibles, but the clovers weren't interesting and are only 25 in the game, plus a small number of what I'd call figurines, the first being Donovan. Maybe as an SE using a game credit, but I wouldn't buy the CE, because it's not worth it, particularly given that in one instance when the info on a mini-game was opaque and unhelpful, and unusually for me I checked the SG for help, the SG was, if anything, even less helpful. I am sure there will be people who will enjoy the game, but as a CE, definitely not for me.

posted in Mystery Tales: The Hangman Returns Collector's Edition on Jan 27, 17 2:50 PM
I'm kind of on the fence about this one, because there were enough things about it that irritated me, but I liked the story, because I'm a fan of mysteries. The village/town is hardly an English town, the accents are only truly British once, i.e., the cop at the beginning, but after that are either North American, or fake English. There are some real idiocies re the set-up of the story including the two computers (at the beginning and the dead editor's), but in an emergency no one has a cell phone, what??, so we waste a lot of time constructing a phone in a phone booth. One person apparently types on an ancient typewriter, there are abandoned pets all over the place, having survived fire and deaths of owners. If you know anything about the U.K., you will know that 999 is the emergency number, but we have to have a piece of paper with 999 on it to nudge our failing memory when we need to call emergency, and it goes on. Also, while I made it through most of the mini-games on the hard setting, a couple I had to skip, and these were the (for me) dreaded slide this into that, which are hard for me, because I'm dyslexic and I don't retain the pattern of where the shapes have been, but the rest of the mini-games were fine, although I liked only a few. Literally the only thing I truly was intrigued by was the story line. So I'm not sure what I'll do, or what to advise people, other than it's clear some really like the game, and others are bored out of their skulls. I'm somewhere in between, because it is interesting. I haven't bought any of the games in this series, which may be why I feel that way, and I think you should just play the demo and make your own decision.

posted in PuppetShow: Bloody Rosie Collector's Edition on Nov 19, 16 9:16 AM
Despite nice color and graphics, the chance to choose what character you'll play the game as, and the typical total mix of eras in technology (a defibrillator, a telephone while the men dress rather late - mid-19th century, and women all over the mid to late 19th), I found the mini-games not very interesting, don't remember any HOPs in the 43 minutes I played, and just became more and more bored. I'm sure a good number of people will like this, but I just found it kind of plodding, and not terribly gripping. Also only one collectible, the roses.

posted in Nevertales: Hidden Doorway Collector's Edition on Sep 25, 16 5:53 PM
I did the beta of this months ago and have been checking pretty regularly to see if it had come out yet, and today it finally had, making me very happy. After I do the survey for a beta, I generally toss my notes, so the only thing I really remember was that Benedict Bells was variously Mr. Bells, Sir Bells, and other references, most of which have been cleaned up. I think there were a few other changes during game play, but in any case, the demo played cleanly, and with a lot of variation. No zipper pulls in sight and a lot of creativity. The voice acting was actually quite good, better than most, with a lot of feeling in the characters' voices, making it much more fun, and the music was quite nice. I just enjoyed the heck out of it and am now downloading the entire game. Worth the wait, and thanks to the developers for putting out what seems so far to be a really good game. I didn't mind the collectible insignia and the morphing object in each HOP -- I like searching for collectibles and morphing objects, and I think they added to this game. Also, once you get past the point where both the beta and the demo ended, the story takes an interesting turn in game play.

First off, let me say that I'm sure some people will love this game: the graphics are often beautiful, creative, often fun, crisp and beautifully colored. However, after 30 minutes of game play, the feyness (as in magical, fairy tale quality) of it all was really wearing thin for me, I didn't much like the mini-games I played, and didn't care about the potions which are numerous (2 in those 30 or so minutes). And while I sometimes like fairyland games, this just didn't do it for me, and I exited and deleted it, sad to leave the prettiness of the game, but starting to feel a bit like tearing my hair. I did love the snails though

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator