Posts created by behindbj

I am having issues with the cursor disappearing, map icons changing (as in, the rainbow snowflake that shows available actions sometimes looks like a golf flag instead) and with my inventory becoming all lined out and scrambled (and even missing). I am playing on a Windows 10 laptop.

posted in Haunted Hotel: Eternity Collector's Edition on Apr 28, 15 12:55 PM
In the control/security room towards the end (room with all of the monitors), there is a "phantom" white outline on the upper right of the screen. It cuts through the mask in the screen, not allowing me to pick it up.

posted in Shtriga: Summer Camp on May 12, 14 8:02 PM
I had to reload the game and start again. For some reason, one part of the gate did not appear where it was supposed to be the first time. The locations for the two gate parts: the first hidden object scene in the back room of the house (with the crypt. The second go-around for the same hidden object scene yields the wings for the gargoyle).

The second part is in the crypt, under the paper.

posted in Magic Farm 2 on Sep 11, 11 5:49 AM
And one more writing t osay how disappointed I am. I've been annoyed at the length of some of the HOG/Adventure games, but this one is really blatant in its disregard for the gameplayer. Really? It just ENDS, right then. Just - over.

And it's particualrly galling in light of the beginning animation, in which the super-botanist story indicates that he he looking for a worthy assistant. I kinda thought that this game was the search for the assistance (and it was) PLUS the story about working with the chief botanist fellow.

Seriously - even the list of "high scores" is a fraud (and while I know they are fake at this point, at least in other games they reflect some sort of reality - one in which my scores usually fall. Here they are something like 20,000.).

Very, very disappointed. I am certainly not going to go bavk and buy any of the other Magic Farm games, even though I thoroughly enjoyed this one while it was in motion.

posted in Twisted Lands: Shadow Town Collector's Edition on Oct 12, 10 12:01 PM
I finished this game and the bonus chapter over the weekend. While I did enjoy the game, I do have two issues (that have been mentioned before):

1. Too much back and forth between the (very) few locations in the game.

2. The story seemed truncated and not filled out. I mean, you see the records of the people missing in the 20's and they make a big deal about the Mayor's wife, and then you see where she wound up - but nothing else. What happened to her and everyone else? At least with the artist, you see a progression in the Doctor's messages and her diary. But with everyone else, they disappear - and then show up a dragon people. BRIEFLY. In a cut scene. And that's it.

If you are annoyed with this lack of a full story, and think that this is the way all of these are, I suggest you play Dire Grove (if you've already played it, you know that the story-telling in this one pales in comparison to that one). If you haven't. hopefully it will restore your faith in good game-play story-telling.

All that being said, I enjoyed the game-play part of it. It just wasn't as satisfying with such a lousy story. I hope their next one (Insomnia) has a better story, because I know I'll wind up buying that one, too.....

I have an odd problem with the sparkly (sparkley? ) areas. To use the foyer area as an example:

When I enter the hidden object area next to the door, the list on the bottom of the screen has 1 item in it (in this case, a pencil). I click on the pencil, the item on the list goes gray (indicating "found") - and nothing else but a little black bar in the upper left quadrant of the screen. I noticed that there were several spherical objects in the scene, so I clicked on them for joy. They were apparently what I needed to find - but there was no list or any indication of what I was supposed to do. By sheer random luck (and minor deduction), I was able to proceed on to the library - where I had the same issue with the sparkley area.

Is anyone else having this issue?

And for the person with the older computer who loses the cursor: I have an older computer (but not for much longer....yippee) and have this problem. If you hit escape or "menu," it will ask you if you want to leave the screen. Hit "no" (or cancel or whatever it is to return to the game screen), Your cursor (and anything it may be holding) will be there. Not a perfect solution, but it works.

Having loved the first one, I bought this one immediately upon seeing it was available. There was not a single thought to delay - I had to have it.

While it is indeed a beautiful game and well done, I must admit that I am slightly disappointed with it. To me, it did not have nearly as good a story as the first game, and it was told extremely quickly - almost an afterthought. And I definitely think the first game was creepier - which I love.

All in all, I enjoyed the game but am a little bummed that I purchased the CE instead of waiting for the regular version. Now, a CE of the first one? That would have been awesome.

So, thumbs up for game play, music and art (it was indeed a beautiful game) but a slightly disappointed thumb for storyline and execution.

posted in Puppet Show: Souls of the Innocent Collector's Edition on May 28, 10 5:58 AM
mylilpony wrote:I finished the demo in about 45 minutes and I can wait for the $6.99 version before buying. People...there is nothing collectible about a computer game!!! I have said it before and I'll say it again, a collectible is something that is usually limited in its production, created by someone who has reknown in his/her field, or is something that is old, rare and hard to find. These CE games will never meet that criteria.
I could care less about wallpaper, bonus games, etc. The developers and distributors dupe their clients into thinking they have built the better mousetrap. think back to other CE's you may have bought. Are they now so special that you go back to them over and over again? A collectible is also some item that can be sold at a profit somewhere in the future. How many of your CE purchases will get to that status??

You remind me of a friend of mine. He makes fun of my collection of baseball memorabilia as a useless waste of time, money and space - then he goes home and polishes his Dungeons and Dragons figurine collections.

Different strokes for different folks. I do believe that the rest of us are smart enough to understnad that "CE" is just another term here for "deluxe" or "special." It's a code phrase used by BFG to tell us that this is a $20 game with some stuff folks may like. Don't like the stuff? Don't buy it.

But there is no need to mock someone's collection of music boxes when you've got a closet full of shoes or a collection of plates with kitties on them.

I own exactly two CE games - Dire Grove and this one - for two simple reasons: I decided not to wait and I can afford them. Otherwise, I don't think that they are worth it - but I don't see a need to come onto a message board and be condescending. Don't see the value in them? Don't buy them.

posted in Haunted Manor: Lord of Mirrors on May 21, 10 1:15 PM
cornflake200 wrote:Did you not feel a bit ripped at the end though as the last few sections were much shorter than the first. I felt that the creator got bored and wanted it over and done with

Oh good - I thought it was just me noticing that...

posted in PuppetShow: Mystery of Joyville ™ on May 21, 10 1:11 PM
Loved this game. I actually bought it during a prior sale of some sort (Can't remember...) Beautiful to look at, interesting story, some traveling and puzzling along with the item-searching.

One tiny, tiny quibble: I was hoping that there would have been more automata. The intro buildup (the discussion with the residents of the town) indicated that the Puppetmaster put the "living dolls" all over the place, but there were only a few in the story. Granted, they were awesome. But I felt a little cheated on that.

Like I said, tiny (and odd) quibble.

posted in Haunted Manor: Lord of Mirrors on May 21, 10 12:59 PM
First I demoed the CE and enjoyed it enough to buy it when the regular one came out.

I was disappointed to no longer have the "figurine hunt" which gave more of the back story. Without it, there is very little to explain what went on with that kid (who became seduced by the mirror on his wedding night). Too vague - and just odd. The figures of the twin daughters, the Master's father, the starving people in the kitchen - what happened there? And I agree with the "dusting off the mirror" thing getting a bit tedious. I was also a little unhappy with the way the levels "sped up" as the end of the game got closer (the levels had less puzzles and things to do as the game progressed).

The game was easy enough for me (about 3 hours total meandering in and out while doing other things around the house) and I enjoyed it, but I probably would have enjoyed it more if I knew more about the story. And since I don't know the story, I wasn't particularly annoyed at the "To Be Continued" twist at the end. If I am all into the story, I usually get annoyed (ok, impatient for the next game. LIKE THE THIRD AZADA....)

Sorry. Didn't mean to yell there....but I really, really want a third Azada.

posted in Dark Parables: Curse of Briar Rose on Mar 27, 10 12:29 PM
Loved it and was thrilled that the "regular" version was available for the sale. I am really enjoying the new generation of hidden object games - I am a fan of mechanical puzzles and logic puzzles as well as **** games.

Bought it (and 11 other games - dang sale........) and have one question...SPOILER ALERT (maybe) if you have not finished it yet:

At the end, the princess "hands" you a crown (to find the Frog Prince) and you are then sent back to the beginning - where there is a golden rose in the inventory if you hit "play" again. I know where it goes, but need to know: Do I have to replay the entire game before I can use it?

Thanks for any help with this!

behindbj

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator