Posts created by Tikatoy

posted in Tiny Token Empires on May 13, 13 9:59 PM
I didn't have much of a problem with this level until I got to the final battle. The enemy had 70% damage reduction and a healer, which meant I barely made a dent.

Then I realized that since I had a city right next to him, I could just amass gold, then throw assaults of five birds repeatedly at him (and auto-resolve these combats) until I took out several of his units. I moved in for the kill when it was down to just the general and the healer.

Completed on day 31, but could probably have been a few days earlier if I'd figured out this tactic sooner.

Ran into a bug and can't proceed any further in the game.

Finished the "under the fishing boat" HOS in Chapter 4 that's supposed to give you a fishing net, but the game doesn't register that I've completed the HOS even though I've found everything on the list (which is blank now).

I tried quitting the game and starting it again, but the HOS still shows up with sparkles and entering it gives me blank space where the item list would be.

posted in Grave Mania: Pandemic Pandemonium on Feb 22, 13 12:01 PM
I got all perfect scores as well. Play through the whole game, upgrade everything completely, then repeat levels to get perfect on them with your shiny new upgrades!

I'm not sure what constitutes a perfect score. I thought that you needed to serve all the zombies and send them off with 5 stars, but I think for a couple of levels I had one zombie with only 4 stars and I got perfect anyway.

What are the criteria for getting a perfect score for a level?

posted in Northern Tale on Jan 4, 13 11:30 PM
Use the freeze timer bonus early, and later in the level when you have 3 Vikings running long distances, use the run faster bonus.

- Build farm
- Upgrade camp
- Build gold shaft
- Build workshop
- Upgrade camp again

I took the path on the right to reach the top of the screen then worked to the middle and down to the bridge. I didn't build the bridge next to the gold shaft; instead I went through the big rock to get to the upper right evil stone.

These are the choices are made; other paths might also work.

posted in Jo's Dream: Organic Coffee on Aug 24, 12 11:25 AM
If I remember correctly, they get impatient more quickly, but will leave higher tips if they're happy.

posted in Hidden World on Aug 23, 12 12:19 PM
After you complete Day 48, it should show you some congratulatory text that ties up the end of the game. Then it dumps you back to the game screen where you will be on Day 48. You can look at the map and replay previous levels or play some of the bonus levels, etc. but that is the end of the game.

Or do you guys mean that you can't finish that level?

posted in Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Premature Burial on Aug 22, 12 11:33 AM
You can't trap that mouse. If you go to the pharmacy, there's a mouse hole in the wall to the left of the register. That's where you use the cheese/box.

posted in Grave Mania: Undead Fever on Mar 22, 12 1:06 AM
The zombie butlers make a distinct groaning sound a few seconds before they enter so keep an ear out for that.

posted in Grave Mania: Undead Fever on Mar 21, 12 3:05 PM
I had an issue with updating through the game manager so I uninstalled and reinstalled the game and it's still freezing at times (I have an Nvidia video card). Not sure if I do have the latest version or not:

Installer version: 1.3.0.8
Build Number: 78862

Update: When I initially installed the latest version, I experienced a freeze after about 4-5 levels, but I have played/replayed several levels since then (40+) and haven't experienced a freeze again, so the update seems to have resolved the issue for me.

posted in Grave Mania: Undead Fever on Mar 19, 12 10:48 AM
bigfishfreak526 wrote:I know I'm supposed to match the zombie with it's grave, but HOW??? I've switched them all around and tried putting all of one type in a column of graves and they all remain with the "no way that's happening" sign. I'm usually pretty good at figuring this stuff out, but this one stumps me.

Is this the one where each zombie dislikes another type of zombie? Keep in mind that a zombie can be adjacent vertically and horizontally. I was confused by this too at first and looked only at the columns and not at the rows.

posted in Vampire Saga - Welcome To Hell Lock on Mar 6, 12 9:59 PM
This is the ending of the game (huge spoiler, obviously ):

You tie the dynamite to a weak beam in the mine and light the fuse. The vampire appears and she offers to help you escape as you won't be able to run out of the mine before the dynamite blows up. You handcuff yourself to her so she can't escape. The mine blows up and collapses and then you see the "Welcome to Hill Lock" sign again, and population count magically increases by one, indicating that you have become a resident of the town. Back at the mine you emerge from the rubble, confused and with non memory of who you are or what just happened. You look at your hand and it's cut and there's blood running down it...

So it seems that either you have turned into a vampire and survived the blast, or you were killed and have joined the rest of the population of the town as a ghost.

posted in The Keepers: Lost Progeny Collector's Edition on Mar 4, 12 2:33 AM
Towards the end, remove knives so that he's left with 5, if you can. That way you'll always win. As for strategy at the beginning of the game, I tried to remove knives so that his move + my move = 5 knives and if he takes 1, I'd take 1. I don't know how effective the beginning strategy is, but if you leave him with 5 knives during his turn, you will win for sure.

If you've played Time Mysteries: Inheritance this is a HUGE improvement over that game.

The best part of the game was the time travel aspect and the way you could make changes in the past that would affect the future. You get a time travel device that doubles as a map that lets you take shortcuts to various locations in the game. This is especially useful as it highlights locations where there's a puzzle, inventory item or hidden object scene.

I really like the art style for this game. It has a bit more of a dreamy, surrealistic look to it that I really appreciated, especially for the locations in the abandoned, burned out mansion. The heavy layer of dust and cobwebs that covers everything looks gorgeous, especially after the rooms are illuminated by the strange creatures that looks like flaming butterflies.

The hidden object scenes were fun, and you had the option to switch to/from a mini-game (a variation on Match 3) at any time to help complete the scene, similar to Phantasmat. The puzzles were of average difficulty for the most part, although I found myself spending a little extra time on some of them.

I really liked the bonus content. It took me about 1.5 hours to play and included a unique puzzle that required being to visualize the inverse of an image (like a film negative). It was both a prequel AND sequel (this IS a time travel game!) to the main game and was a fun complement to the story.

posted in Elementary My Dear Majesty on Feb 27, 12 11:53 AM
The binoculars are actually behind a tree near the snowmen, I think. (If this is the task where you're supposed to get "smart" items for the polar bear.)

posted in Elementary My Dear Majesty on Feb 21, 12 10:57 PM
I don't think this was mentioned in the instructions (or maybe I missed it) but instead of using the buttons in the lower right, you can zoom in and out using your mouse scroll wheel. You can also rotate the view by holding down the right mouse button, and then moving your mouse left and right.

These shortcuts saved me a lot of time (or felt like it anyway)!

posted in Resurrection, New Mexico Collector's Edition on Feb 19, 12 10:58 AM
Ooh, that was an awesome movie! But I'd say that while there are a lot of similarities, the game is different because the bonus game (which is a prequel) made it clear that the supernatural aspect was real. It showed that the car crash wasn't an accident after all.

The story seemed quite straightforward to me. What was confusing about it?

I loved the art in the "Unknown Oscar" section of the extras with the embalmed Christmas elf, rubber duckie and even poor Felix was embalmed! Hilarious.

The difference between widescreen and "regular" monitors is the aspect ratio, much like for TVs. Widescreen is 16:9 and "regular" is 4:3, i.e. widescreen is, well, wider, as you would expect.

Almost 100% of the games that are available from Big Fish are designed for "regular" monitors, i.e. with a 4:3 aspect ratio. These games appear normal on a "regular" monitor, but when viewed on a widescreen monitor, they appear stretched horizontally since you are trying to fit on a wider screen.

Thus when you check "widescreen", you are indicating that you have a widescreen monitor, and the game compensates accordingly so that your games look normal, i.e. undistorted and with the correct aspect ratio, by adding the black vertical bars (also known as pillar boxing).

When you uncheck "widescreen", the game doesn't do any sort of compensation, so the game will fill the screen and appear distorted and stretched horizontally.

Makes sense now?

I liked the New Orleans setting and supernatural theme, so I picked this one up (despite the screen resolution issue).

- The New Orleans setting and supernatural theme. Location artwork was very good and the occult theme was actually creepy. Sound and visual effects helped enhance this. Nice visual effects like the rippling magic barrier in the street, the evil/good music coming out of the pipe organ and good use of mist/smoke in various locations. Good sense of otherworldly doom.
- There was some originality as far as the puzzles go. Some involve collecting components then combining them in your kit. I especially liked the one where you have a limited number of moves to combine similar reagents by swapping them or rotating the board. Nice variation on Match 3.

Dislikes:
- Wouldn't take up the full screen size. I had to set my desktop resolution to 1280x1024 to get it to do so.

The Bottom Line:
New Orleans setting, nice location artwork and Cthulhu-like story kept me playing the game despite my computer fairly constantly overheating and shutting down (my computer tends to do that, not a fault of the game) because I wanted to see the ending.

posted in Lost Souls: Enchanted Paintings on Oct 22, 11 11:27 AM
This is the highest resolution HOG I've played, and lots of pretty fantasy artwork, so I bought it.

- The graphics are so nice! It looks really crisp and high res, and there's some use of hardware acceleration (3D, colored lighting, water, etc.) that actually looks good! Usually 2D art is much nicer, but they used high res textures in this game so the 3D looked good. Really smooth and pretty animations too, probably due to the hardware acceleration. And all of the lovely fantasy settings really showed off the beauty of the art.
- Nice variety of hidden object scenes; you get word lists as well as lists of object images (sometimes in different orientations from the scene objects).
- Some of the jigsaw puzzles were really fun! On the whole, puzzles were easy to average, although enjoyable.
- The game lets you know (after some time) when there's nothing to do in a location (for now). The map also shows you the number of tasks left to do in each location, which I really appreciated. Don't like it in other games when I'm sitting there and mousing around for a long time before I find out there's nothing left to do in a particular location.

Dislikes:
- No option to have pillar boxes (black boxes on left and right side of the screen). I have a widescreen monitor, and unlike most of the posters/reviewers in these forums, I like the black boxes! I don't like my games to be all stretched out and distorted. I've never understood why people prefer that. It's essentially the same resolution anyway, only now it's distorted. It's kind of like being unhappy with having a glass half full of beer, and then being pleased to have it topped off with water because now it's full. Normally I'm just resigned to not having the option, but this game has such pretty graphics! Just that little bit more and they'd be perfect!

The Bottom Line:
- Gorgeous, high resolution art in a variety of fantasy settings. It was fun to unlock new locations just to see the new artwork. Gameplay was on the easy side, but enjoyable.

Regarding the number of paintings you can enter, I had glanced at the walkthrough to check the game length so I already knew that there were only 5 paintings that could be played. Looking at the other paintings though, they were sort of boring (plain houses, etc.) so I probably wouldn't have thought those could be played anyway even if I didn't know. I wanted to play more, but because I liked the game, not that it was short

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator