Posts created by robinbobbin

posted in Mystery of Mortlake Mansion on Jun 10, 16 2:17 PM
I bought this game back in 2012; tried to replay it this week and it doesn't work properly. Lots of jerkiness and lag. So it may be that they're not selling it because it hasn't been updated for Windows 7 and up.

posted in Green Moon 2 on May 13, 16 3:02 PM
Ah, found it. NOW I can talk to the blacksmith. This game is frustrating!

posted in Green Moon 2 on May 13, 16 2:51 PM
I have only the ruby to get for the altar of fire. The hint tells me to search in the medieval castle. I can't go into the medieval castle because it says I need a bow and arrows. I have the bow; made that by following the scroll. I cannot figure out how to make arrows! I have some bamboo stalks, some feathers, and some string, but they will not combine at all. I have some bent nails and blacksmith tools that seem like I ought to be able to either beat the nails straight or melt them down; but I can't do either. I have been to every location and time period and NOTHING more is available for me to do, so I MUST have all the pieces, right? I did find the YouTube walkthroughs from the developer, but they stop at the asteroid game. Anyone have any tips? Thanks much!

posted in Aveyond 4: Shadow of the Mist on Feb 29, 16 5:04 PM
Nope, as I stated, the controls don't work, even when I set them to zero.

posted in Aveyond 4: Shadow of the Mist on Feb 27, 16 7:49 PM
The only issue I'm having with the game is that I cannot get the sound options to work. The volume up and down don't have any effect on the actual sound volume, and turning the sound effects off doesn't affect anything either. This is annoying since I like to listen to my own music while playing.

posted in Mystery Trackers: Four Aces Collector's Edition on Oct 12, 12 6:54 PM
I liked the previous Mystery Trackers games very much. I played the trial on this one and I'm just not sure it's worth buying the CE. I checked the strategy guide and it said there were 8 chapters, plus the bonus chapter. Based on the chapter titles I was well into chapter 3, possibly starting chapter 4 when my hour ran out. Now, because I had limited time, I did skip some of the cut scenes, but still; 1/3 of the game finished in an hour?? Not a good sign.

I also didn't really like the shopping for dog stuff, because the items seem to have no relation to the game. There's a whole category of HO games that have 'redecorating' or 'building' between HOS instead of mini-puzzles; really hoping that trend doesn't spread any further. However, in this game it's pretty easy to avoid so that's fine.

I played on casual mode because there are a few puzzle types I just cannot do, and when I find one I want to skip it immediately. In this game that didn't seem likely to be a problem as the puzzles were very simple. Sometimes too simple; on more than one occasion there were locks to be undone with the combinations already written on them. It's possible that they actually change the difficulty of the puzzles and HO scenes with the higher difficulty levels, rather than just delay hints or remove skips and sparkles; but if so this would be the first I've seen.

The graphics were very well done, as usual. I did not have any trouble with the graphics in the HO scenes, they looked great to me. More than once I didn't find an object right away because it was BIG and I was looking for a teeny item.

So, I'm torn. I'll probably wait until the SE comes out so I can check the walkthrough and see how far I really got. Then I'll see if there's a sale or a reason to pay extra for the CE.

posted in Midnight Mysteries: Haunted Houdini Deluxe on Feb 5, 12 8:49 AM
I had the issue that Doyle never showed up for me to hand the brand to. I came here to check, and since other people were having the same problem, I reported it to customer service and sent in a Dr. Felix. I said that if this was a bug that could be fixed in an update, great, but if not I wanted a credit for it. I received a response on Saturday saying that they were working on it and expected to have an update available next week, and I was welcome to either wait for it or get a credit now. I said I would wait for the update, since it is a good game, and I played a lot of it.

I feel like I should remind some posters that complaining in the forums is NOT the same as sending an email to support. No one is going to email you about a fix or offer a refund because you posted something in the forums; anyone can post in the forums. You have to contact support.

posted in Haunted Past: Realm of Ghosts Collector's Edition on Dec 19, 11 9:58 AM
Which doesn't help when I want to know how long the game is and how far I've gotten in the demo, since most demos only show a piece of the strategy guide.

I'd like to see a walkthrough as well. I've been burned in the past spending an enjoyable hour on a game, dropping the money for the collector's edition rather than waiting, and only getting another hour of play before the end. Doesn't look like there is one yet, though.

I have only played the trial. Very disappointed. I love the MCF series, but I will not buy this game. A few morphing objects can be fun, but that is ALL there is. No normal hidden object scenes. Very boring. There's also animation in every morphing object scene, so sometimes you have a tough time telling the difference between an animated object and a morphing one. No puzzles in the demo at all, so I don't know what they are like, or if there even ARE any. The ghosts popping up to wring their hands and tell me to turn back are EXTREMELY annoying; if it only happened once or twice I'd have no problem, but just in the demo it happened at least six times! EVERY new area it was "no, no, it's too dangerous here!".

There were some positive points: having the ghosts break something after you completed the MO scene so you could get your 'prize' was a neat change, although in direct contrast to the first ghost's explanation that they could only change the appearance of physical objects. The art was very nice, as usual. The music was pleasant. I for one like the little descriptive passages that you get when clicking on otherwise unusable areas; they add a nice tone. Although the content of the ghosts' message was extremely annoying, they were less disruptive than the "interactive" conversations in 13th Skull.

In the end, though, those few positives could not outweigh the fact that this game was just no fun to play.

posted in Nancy Drew: Shadow at the Water's Edge on Jul 20, 11 4:31 AM
I also prefer to have a trial, because there are a lot of crappy games pushed out to meet the "new game every day" mantra. It's great that there's one on the developer website, but since BFG doesn't tell us who the developers are, people who aren't familiar with the game series shouldn't be yelled at for not knowing which website to go to. (Google the name, I know, but not everyone thinks of that. My mom, for example. )

However, I do understand frustration with some BFG users, since I get irked every time I see a post by someone who thinks complaining in the forums is the same as contacting customer service. How ridiculous would it be if BFG paid people to read every forum thread looking for complaints, then contacting each poster and offering apologies and refunds? Forums are discussion places, period. Sometimes developers or staff might glance through, but if you have a real problem, YOU have to make the effort to click the button for help. BFG customer support has been excellent every time I've had to contact them, and to claim BFG doesn't support customers because they didn't seek you out is just silly.

posted in Nightmare Realm Collector's Edition on Jul 3, 11 3:10 PM
_DD_ wrote: hi robinbobbin, the amount of chapters is correct, but your question is not so easy to answer, as the chapters have a different length.
Anyway, Spoiler, highlight to read:
<When you're done talking to the Spirit and the first area blooms, you are in the middle of chapter 3, according to the SG's setting of pages. But chapter 1 is very short, and chapter 3 is rather long; goes on from there for another 4 - 5 pages. And w/o counting all pages, my personal impression is not that you'd have done a third of the game play there. Including the bonus game, it took me a bit more than 6 hours. >

IOW: Didn't feel short and is a great game all around, IMO. I also liked the bonus content, it isn't just another series of H0-scenes.

Hope this helps; have fun!

Thanks, _DD!!

posted in Nightmare Realm Collector's Edition on Jul 2, 11 12:37 PM
I liked this game. Unlike some other reviewers, I was VERY glad to see no voiceovers. Voiceovers are pointless - they take far longer than reading the same words; plus they have to pay someone to record them. Spend the money on the gameplay.

I usually skip all cutscenes, but found myself drawn into these; the graphics were lovely, and the story interesting. They left a lot to the imagination rather than force a lot of background into it, which made me more interested.

The gameplay was interesting and the puzzles were challenging without being overwhelming. I really liked the interactive portions of the hidden object scenes; they were clever and inventive.

Someone said there are eight chapters in the game and 4 chapters in the extra content, and I think the demo covers just the first chapter; if so this is a nice long game and would be worth the CE price. The content limit kicked in with only 6 minutes left, which is pretty good.

Anyone who bought it, could you tell us where the chapters end? Specifically:
when you bring the Spirit back to life and the drought area blooms, that is the end of the demo. Which chapter does that correspond to? Thanks!

posted in Our Worst Fears: Stained Skin on May 1, 11 7:58 AM
There have been very few games I won't play my whole free hour, to laugh at if nothing else. My total game time for this one was 9 minutes, and that included switching to a new profile to see if advanced mode was any better.

The problem was that, even in advanced mode, you click on an item and see there's a task. The game then, with a lot of fanfare and sparkles, puts a silhouette of the tool you'll need to find in your inventory. Talk about excessive hand holding!

When I got to the second scene, I immediately noticed the out-of-scale hook and fishline on a rock in the bay. Obviously something I need for the game, so I click it. Nothing happens. FIRST, I have to click on the locked box. THEN, I have to have it tell me I should look for something to unlock it with (duh), and have a silhouette of that same hook and line descend into my inventory. Only then am I allowed to click on the rock and be told I can't walk there; and have two beams silhouette in my inventory to show me how to get there. This is the point at which I quit and turned on advanced mode. There were a few less sparkles, but the exact same spoon fed process. Terrible, terrible gameplay and I will not buy or recommend.

Edit: I see a lot of good reviews talking about a great storyline. Even the best game storylines I've seen wouldn't be worth buying as a novel. I'm paying for a game. I want a game to PLAY well.

posted in Blood and Ruby on Mar 31, 11 1:11 PM
Thought this game was nice, some of the artwork was grainy and poor BUT the hidden objects blended in well, so it wasn't a big drawback like on some games. I liked the puzzles, they were interesting. Even with the one that I couldn't get, I was absorbed in trying, not just waiting for the Skip button to charge. No troubles with the cursor or other mechanics, and since I went to the options menu first thing and turned the tutorial off, I didn't have a lot of hand holding; in fact twice I used a hint to figure out where to go next! Nice to have that easy/hard option.

When the trial was up I came to check the walkthrough before buying the game, and discovered I was already nearly 3/4 through it. So no, I won't buy it, but I wouldn't say anything bad about it either. I'm just too fast I guess, especially when I skip through all the storyline bits. (Not the place for my vampire rant. )

posted in Princess Isabella: A Witch's Curse on Mar 28, 11 4:37 AM
A cute game. The fairy was a little annoying, but I just turned the voice off and it was good. I liked the graphics and the gameplay and I will keep an eye out for these developer's other games. This would be a great "gateway" game for friends and family who don't understand your game addiction. They could use the constant prodding and directing which was the worst part of the game for me, and I see for other reviewers as well. It really needed an "expert level" where that could be turned off. It was also an unpleasant shock to find that the question mark I assumed would just tell me how to play the mini-game actually contained a full-blown walkthrough. It's nice that it's available, but I just wanted to know the mechanics of the "mix the potion" game, not the solution. I downloaded the trial on the sale day but didn't get a chance to play it until later; I would probably have picked it up for $2.99, but since I got 1/3 of the way through in my free hour I won't bother at full price.

posted in FBI: Paranormal Case on Mar 23, 11 7:14 AM
Graphics on this game were not good. I always go to the options menu on a new game to turn off any dialogue or music, so when I saw there was a brightness option I said uh-oh and turned it all the way up. This resulted in being able to see most things ok, and having some very bright areas that were hard to see. However, I have to say I wish more games had a brightness option built in. The integrated zoom was also nice because the pictures were often bad (syringes especially) and hard to find. That is the last good thing I found about the game.

I am not going to complain about the very illogical storyline because I haven't seen many logical storylines in gaming, and most I have ended up stinting the gameplay to follow the story. If I want a good story I'll read a book. I just ask that it not be too intrusive or overwhelming.

I did not like that each mini-game and **** screen was separated by several meaningless screens with nothing to do but click the highlighted item or next button and wait. Screen load time was not terrible, but just long enough to be annoying.

I can't tell how long the game is, but in my one-hour trial I finished 7 'case files' and was halfway through the eighth. Each case file was one hidden object screen, some random clicking, one mini-game, some random clicking, oh, new file. The files were arranged on the in-game computer screen in rows of 6, and the first row was about the middle of the screen, so I would not be surprised if there were only 12 'case files' in the game, but there could be quite a bit more. Either way I didn't enjoy it enough to pay money for it, or a precious credit.

posted in RealMYST on Jan 21, 11 6:34 PM
my head is spinning with the possibilities; will i be able to play riven and exile again too? what about the 7th guest and the 11th hour updated for xp/windows 7? oh my!

posted in Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars on Jan 13, 11 4:54 PM
Bought this for the Wii for Christmas at Kmart, for $15. An older animation style, but an enjoyable game. I didn't notice the Exclusive sign, but I'd agree it doesn't seem to apply.

posted in Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ on Jan 12, 11 6:13 PM
Huh. I started looking around for rocks and found two new 'sparkly' areas. Played two new hidden object games and got an ice pick and a can opener. But I can't do anything further, and there are no rocks when I'm looking at the pirate ship. I played the trial of the CE, but bought the SE. Maybe that's the problem.

I played the demo. Didn't get to the end before the hour was up because I spent so much time trying to find settings and options that should have been there but weren't. It was fairly easy, but it was a demo, so I expected that.

I have seen many people complain about not being able to skip the dialogue, and other people replying that you can, you'll just miss out on an objective. That's the point, people: if trying to speed up that god-awful drawl makes you miss some of the gameplay, then you *CAN'T* skip the dialogue.

And the dialogue is terrible. I don't mean the writing is terrible; it's good enough for a game. The delivery is the problem. The acting is bad-overdone and a bit desperate. You're not there to prove you have depth beyond the script; you're there to give the player information. The speech is excruciatingly slow. You have to click to continue after each bit, but if you click too soon you're kicked out of the whole thing. Why oh why can't we choose to just read the whole dialogue at once, rather than wait for it to dribble out? If it must be split into chunks, why can't I skip to the next chunk as soon as I've read the caption? After seeing how bad the speech was, I expected turning on the caption option to eliminate it - to give me a text only experience. I was very disappointed. Why is the interaction with the characters actually worse than in goofy 16 bit RPGs??

The live action sequences were very annoying in RTR and Dire Grove, but they were minor parts of the whole, and in Dire Grove at least you could ignore them. If I'd had to watch every video all the way through in order to advance through the game, I would have been very upset and likely never finished it. I absolutely would never have replayed or recommended it. The acting in 13th Skull looks better than Dire Grove, but I still don't want to be forced into watching it. Maybe my MCF fandom ends here.

PS - Why have a real actor when you can't afford real hair?? That was the worst wig I've ever seen!

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator