Posts created by Mapsman

posted in Awakening: The Redleaf Forest Collector's Edition on Jun 17, 14 8:27 PM
I rarely post a review, but I wanted to warn other fishies about the graphics in this game. I have a nice widescreen updated monitor and a reasonable graphics card, but the graphics in some of the mini-games and HOS were almost impossible to see. I don't even know how I completed one of the mini-games. I just kept clicking on things and suddenly it worked. I had to skip another mini-game because I absolutely could not discern the picture. I stopped playing the Awakenings series when the third installment kept freezing. I bought this game to finish off the story and I'm sorry that I did.

I never did find any of the gold collectibles, so I have no idea what I was supposed to be looking for. Thank goodness for the jump map. Without it, I would have stopped playing out of frustration. I don't think I care enough to play the bonus chapter or the garden game.

I was going crazy, then I thought that I'd better check the forum only to find out it was a glitch. Downloaded the upgraded and the ring works now. Yay!

Thank you for posting this here and in the other gold crown topic. I searched the first HOP three times looking for a crown...LOL!

posted in Sea of Lies: Mutiny of the Heart Collector's Edition on Sep 6, 13 6:56 PM
I am sorry that I wasted any money on this game. The graphics were slightly pixelated on my wide screen, there was a good deal of sensitivity about where you placed an item to make an action occur, there was a delay after you finished a puzzle which made you think that you might not have gotten it right, the H0 scenes were quite numerous and the puzzles were super easy. I guess this would be worth it at a much reduced price. Unfortunately, without the bonus game included in the CE, the story isn't complete.

posted in Big City Adventure: Tokyo on Jun 12, 13 8:10 PM
I usually enjoy having one of these lighter hidden object games to play, especially when I learn a little something while playing, but some of the hidden objects in this game are too difficult for me to see. I really don't like to have to use hints and it's not worth a neck cramp to play the game. No buy for me.

posted in Aquascapes on May 17, 13 4:28 PM
Perfect game for relaxing. I've been looking forward to another hidden object based Fishdom and this is it.

posted in Aquascapes on May 17, 13 4:26 PM
Sometimes I just want to kill a little time. In those cases, I don't want to get involved with an HOPA because I'll forget where I am in the game before the next time I'm able to play. The graphics in these games are bright and cheerful and the hidden objects aren't hard to find, so it's perfect when you want to relax a little.

posted in Brink of Consciousness: Dorian Gray Syndrome on Mar 4, 13 4:00 PM
Interesting game. I'm about 60% through it. I have to keep exiting because the travel back and forth is wearing me out. This game would really be improved by a transport map. I don't like games that are long just because I have to keep walking all over the place to find one item, then back to use the item. After a while, I just don't care any more. Keep the darn girl. I'm going out for pizza and a beer.

posted in Escape the Emerald Star on Aug 13, 12 11:24 AM
Like others, this is the type of game that I love to have in reserve for those times when I have only a few minutes to play. The straightforward HOG gives my brain a chance to do something else and recharge. I never have to worry about forgetting where I am in the game or what items I need, etc. I love HOPAs and IHOGs when I have more time, but these beautifully drawn HOGs are nice to look at and enjoyable for five minute breaks.

posted in Special Enquiry Detail: Engaged to Kill on Apr 16, 12 4:18 PM
I wish I had played the demo longer before purchasing because this game is way too linear for me. I don't like it when you have to accomplish tasks in exactly the order that the programmer wants in order to progress. Also, I don't like glitchy cursor placements, one of which you can read about on the manhole thread here if you don't mind a spoiler. I'm putting this game aside for now.

posted in Special Enquiry Detail: Engaged to Kill on Apr 16, 12 4:14 PM
Thank you so much for the nozzle placement tip. This is exactly the kind of glitch that makes me hate a game.

posted in Hidden Mysteries®: Return to Titanic on Apr 15, 12 4:41 PM
I'm playing in casual mode and with 12 minutes left of the demo time, I've finished chapter 3. I've used no hints, no skips and haven't even checked the blueprint. I love the way this looks and the concept of traveling between the wreck and the living ship is interesting, but this will be too short of a game for me. I'll wait until it shows up as a DD or COTW.

posted in Phenomenon: City of Cyan on Mar 26, 12 4:59 PM
I haven't been keeping track of time, but I've really been enjoying this game. I don't understand the complaints of hand-holding as the game doesn't seem that easy to me, but I'm not a hard-core adventure gamer. I've had to ask for hints a few times because I've missed an item as there are no sparkles for active zones. I do agree with others that I would have preferred the journal not to glow. I generally ignore journals as they usually just recap what I was just told and the constant glow is annoying. The interactivity within the H0 scenes is a nice addition. This is a five-star game to me...hard to believe that it's not a CE.

posted in Otherworld: Spring of Shadows on Feb 25, 12 12:56 PM
In general, I enjoyed playing this game, but I found that some of the graphics were difficult to see. I actually had to skip one mini-game because I couldn't tell when the circles were glowing and that was with the brightness level at 100% on my monitor.

I played around 5 hours on Expert which is a long time for me. I finish most SE HOS games in 2.5 - 3.0 hours. The story was interesting and any time I got stuck it was because I had missed an area requiring action somewhere.

posted in Otherworld: Spring of Shadows on Feb 25, 12 12:49 PM
Thanks so much for the tip about clicking inside the black outline. I hate tracing because it uses up my mouse batteries. Also, like others, I was stuck on the second wing of the shade. I tried many times without success to trace it. Clicking was much easier and faster!

posted in Big City Adventure: London Story on Feb 5, 12 7:24 PM
The clues are the pictures of men that you've taken throughout your travel through London. I don't remember them all, but Earl Grey belongs with the teabag, there's one with Rose in their name that goes with the rose, etc.

posted in Big City Adventure: London Story on Feb 5, 12 7:22 PM
In your journal is a picture you took of the posters for the four plays when you were in front of the Globe Theatre. Put the books in the same order from left to right as the posters. I'm sorry that I don't remember the order, but the man kneeling before the lady is Romeo and Juliet, the gondola is Merchant of Venice, the man holding a skull is Hamlet, etc.

posted in Twisted: A Haunted Carol on Dec 10, 11 3:05 PM
Super short game! A little less than 1.5 hours for me. I made it through Chapter 5 of 8 during the hour trial. The epilogue is 10 seconds long. Pretty drawings.

posted in Reincarnations: Back to Reality on Nov 14, 11 7:59 PM
I just spent 4 hours to play this game and could not wait for it to end. I found some of the hidden objects almost impossible to click on because of very small and not intuitive active zones. The mini-puzzles were relatively easy. I didn't like the graphics. I'm not knowledgeable enough about graphics to explain why I didn't like them. I can only say that I felt like I was looking at artist's sketches with lots of erasures. Also, I don't want to wander around touching everything to find one thing. That's why I play HOPA games and not pure adventure games. I had to use the hint on this game a few times because some item I needed to progress was hidden on the periphery of the screen. Overall, I just didn't have much fun.

posted in Mystery P.I.: The Curious Case of Counterfeit Cove on Nov 4, 11 6:29 PM
The Mystery P.I. series was my introduction to hidden object games and led me to the BFG site so I have a soft spot in my heart for Spintop and Mystery P.I. I always buy them because the graphics are clear and you get to visit a new location in each game. Yes, these are easy games, but they are perfect when you don't want to think very hard or you want to play for a few minutes at a time because you don't have to remember a list of tasks from session to session. It would be nice if Spintop would get some new music, though.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator