Posts created by Marg2

posted in Super Granny 6 on Jan 19, 13 9:54 AM
This game is both great and terrible. Great because it’s just plain fun to move Granny through all the obstacles to gather her kitties. I don’t think I need to expound on why it’s fun.

The game is also terrible because it is a very unfair game. For example, before Granny moves to area 2, 3, or 4, she has to get rid of any enemies close behind her in order to ensure a safe return. This works a lot of times, too often it does not work. Upon her return, enemies are waiting and pouncing on her before she can even take a step. In one particular area - I don’t remember the level - if Granny is downed by a soldier, she will not be able to get back up. As soon as the game restarts, soldiers will pounce on her until the game is over.

The lasso as a weapon is unfair. When Granny swings it, she has to stand in just the right spot or the enemy will down her; in many levels, she may get two enemies with the lasso, but the third will down her even though she cannot and has not moved from the spot.

When Granny is in a tough spot and has to quickly dig a hole, frequently the annoying queen does not fall through like other enemies would. I’m not talking about the times when there simply is not enough time to dig the hole.

I have experienced frequent crashes, most frustrating when victory over a particularly difficult level is just a few clicks away.

Perhaps there are a few super players who are able to get through the game without having to start from zero. The average player will start from zero many times. Designing a game for failure over and over is not challenging, it’s frustrating. Even Granny’s funny remarks stop being funny after hearing them dozens of times. Since it’s so easy for Granny to lose a life, why isn’t there a way to gain a life? That would be fair now, wouldn’t it?

Bottom line for me: I both love and hate Super Granny. The developers could do a much better job in keeping the challenging features and getting rid of the super annoying ones. And of course, more than anything - make the game fair.

posted in Bird's Town on Nov 12, 12 2:21 PM
Bird's Town is a very relaxing marble popper - not a description that fits most other games of the genre. Not too challenging, just fun to play. After level 296, the town is finished, and the credits roll. However, you can keep playing. Like in all marble poppers, levels will repeat throughout the game. Only two or three are mildly challenging. There is no difficulty setting.

I definitely recommend this game.

posted in Zuma Deluxe on Sep 6, 12 10:52 AM
I also have owned this game for years and still enjoy playing it occasionally. The game description says there are 20 temples. In my version, one of the opening screens depicts 12 temples. Once you have played through the game, you can enter any temple from this screen. This screen is not on Big Fish's game version. I specifically downloaded it to find out if there really are 20 temples, and thus perhaps more than 12 levels plus one final "bonus" level. Does anyone know if there are indeed more than 13 levels?

posted in Green Moon on Apr 19, 12 4:17 AM
I agree with other comments - this game is a challenge and well worth the effort. At first I was not impressed and got frustrated because I didn't know what to do next and there were not enough slots to carry items. Then I learned to only carry items needed for the task at hand. This game is different and highly imaginative. It takes you on journeys through time and space. You may experience frustration at times, but in the end, you are left with a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. I highly recommend this game for all adventurers/explorers.

posted in Glow Fish on Mar 3, 12 10:32 AM
Just to set things straight in response to a previous post - there are instructions, short, and to the point. There is a help screen as well. As for "no real goal," you have to rescue Coraline from the evil Dr. Urchin. Not so different from goals in hundreds of other games.

This looks to me like a platformer type game. It is beautifully done, backgrounds are layered giving it a three dimensional look and feel. Very refreshing to find a game different from the norm. I love this game. Wish there were more out there like it.

posted in Red Crow Mysteries: Legion on Nov 9, 11 7:24 AM
Good graphics in a ****/Adventure game are very important to me. The computer generated graphics in this game are completely devoid of attention to detail. In fact, it appears that the missing details are “covered” up by fuzziness and even all over smudging. A shame because I really liked the game play, just not enough to overcome the graphics.

I encountered one bug: After completing the golden flowers puzzle, the message that three additional golden flowers are needed stayed on even after exiting and restarting the game.

Conclusion after about 20 minutes of play - this game is a NO BUY for me.

posted in Jewels of Cleopatra on Nov 1, 11 4:07 AM
This game is a steal at $2.99. It is more than the average Match 3 game. You have to clear a path for the archeologist and avoid the various enemies. By setting the destination point, you can control the path she chooses or you can let her choose her own path. Every location includes a picture puzzle, a scarab race (really cute), and a race against a bad guy for the prize. A really fun game!

posted in Mahjongg: Ancient Mayas on Oct 3, 11 6:34 AM
In Classic mode, shuffling caused all tiles to disappear. Undo did not undo the shuffle command, it just made a portion of the tiles reappear in pairs, two for every Undo, This happened in the first two medium layouts. The only recourse seems to be to start over and avoid shuffling. This problem did not occur in Adventure mode during the few minutes of play. Since I already have a lot of Mahjongg games, I will pass up on one with problems.

posted in F.A.C.E.S. on Aug 19, 11 8:56 AM
After playing about 30 minutes of the demo, I found that the game is extremely well done and deserves the praise about graphics and execution, though I wasn't drawn in by the story. Possibly I was influenced by my negative feelings about the controversial ending. The SE version is said to have a so-so ending, whereas the CE version is said to have a satisfying ending. To me, this makes the SE version considerably inferior. This also could start a trend with developers in order to encourage more people to buy the CE version. It's a shame that Vogat, one of my favorite developers, had to resort to such a ploy. Therefore, I will not buy the game at this time, but will consider it when it comes out as DD.

posted in Luxor: 5th Passage on Aug 13, 11 7:54 AM
Nelliebj - you may have figured this out by now, but if not - the Escape button pauses the game. You can resume from the menu that comes up.

This also can come in handy when you're about to lose, or when your spheres have just entered the pyramid. Hit the Escape button, then Main menu, and you can restart the level from scratch without losing a life. In fact, if you're down to one life, this action actually restarts the stage with 2 lives.

posted in Redemption Cemetery: Curse of the Raven on Jul 9, 11 5:35 PM
Truthfully, I was reluctant to buy this game even at the DD price, but I'm glad I did. It turned out to be very enjoyable.

When the game first came out, I passed it up because the little girl trapped in a burning house was very disturbing to me, and also because the first story contains so much nonsense and is practically devoid of logic. The other two stories make up for these shortcomings. So on the whole, the game was really fun.

posted in Tearstone on Jun 2, 11 6:06 AM
While this game has a lot going for it, I fail to understand why it receives such hype and high praise. Again and again the comments state that it’s “different.” Really? The main difference I found is that items shown at the bottom may be found on the current screen or the next three or four screens. Mixing items is not new, just a novel format of putting two items together. Graphics are nice, but not outstanding by any means. Items that are active/interactive in other games are static in this one, i.e., the gears for setting the clock, the dial phone. There are lots of dark areas making some objects difficult to find. Rather than following arrows, you use the back button to go to previous areas.

There are plenty of nonsensical actions, i.e. use the stone in the pickup and put on scale. No logical reason is given for performing certain actions or finding certain objects, i.e., the red cubes, or the colored balls. There are some very good puzzles, unfortunately, they don’t seem to be integrated with the story. Overall, I’m left with the impression that a lot of good ideas have been thrown together resulting in a disjointed rather than a cohesive package.

The hint system is not outstanding by any means. If you’re stuck, it points to where an object is used, which you already know; it gives no help in finding it. When nothing else can be done in an area, why is it still accessible? No hints are available in the “find the difference” puzzle.

You get no explanation of what action is needed when the cursor is accompanied by a gear. There is one instance of having to look for unneeded items which is frustrating.

I encountered one glitch. The clock hands had disappeared when I quit the game and then came back in. The only choice was to start from the beginning.

This game started out with high promise, but ended up a disappointment.

posted in Hidden Mysteries - Civil War on May 21, 11 3:29 AM
This game is for you if you enjoy:
1) teeny tiny objects, a lot of them dark, hidden in dark places
2) the cannonball game, a version of minesweeper, which is the only way to get much needed extra hints.
The game concept is excellent - the game play is the worst I have encountered. I bought this game at $0.99, and that was too much for hours of frustration.

posted in Cubetastic on Apr 3, 11 4:48 AM
The music can be turned off. Find it by pressing the Home button, then Settings. The Home button icon appears in the top left corner after your game has started. If you loved Rubik's Cube, you will love this game.

posted in Crossworlds: The Flying City on Jan 8, 11 4:52 AM
When I try to start the game, I get the following error message:
Cannot find import; DLL may be missing, corrupt, or wrong version File "lua5.dll" error 126.
The screen goes black and then BF game manager asks if I want to play again.

Oops, I deleted the game and was going to give it one more try. Then I noticed that it requires 1012 RAM. That leaves me out. My computer does not meet this requirement. Time for an upgrade or new computer.....???

posted in Awakening: Moonfell Wood on Dec 26, 10 4:31 AM
What a refreshing change after so many gloom and doom games! The presentation of this fairy tale is absolutely enchanting. The graphics are beautiful. I enjoy just simply looking at them and admiring them. This game took me well over six hours, and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. I like the mini puzzles - all of them. I also like the HOG scenes. In fact, there is perhaps only one thing I would add, that is feeding the little pocket dragon one more time. Who ever heard of a pocket dragon? Really cute! Like the first Awakening, this second one is a definite favorite game. Thank you devs and Big Fish for giving us such a great game!

posted in Mystery of Mortlake Mansion on Dec 18, 10 2:31 AM
This looked like an enjoyable game. The cursor started out sluggish and then got better but turned sluggish again at every change of scenery. Then the game just froze. Hitting Ctrl, Alt, Del made it stutter a couple of times until finally there was no response from the game and I had to shut the computer down. Not a good way to exit a game. Conclusion - not a game my aging computer can handle. And a word to some of the unhappy fishies out there - please don't blame BF if a particular game does not work for you. It's not their fault that your computer is not up to the task, whatever the reason.

posted in Mystery Trackers: The Void on Nov 13, 10 4:43 AM
The game won't launch. Since no one else is having this problem, evidently it's my overloaded, aging computer. Too bad. I was looking forward to this one.

posted in Mystery Case Files®: Dire Grove™ on Nov 6, 10 2:31 AM
A Daily Deal on this game is incredible! All I can say is if you don't have it - GET IT! It's a steal! One of my absolute favorite games.

posted in Stardrone on Oct 23, 10 5:06 PM
Well, I got past level 7. I'm enjoying this game immensely. It's very challenging, even at the lowest speed setting. Yeah, I know, there are some speed demons out there that probably laugh at this. Some of the levels are quite wicked, with level 38 the meanest one so far. Still working at that one.

Thanks, BF, for offering this game as DD. At full price, I would not have taken a chance and would have missed out on a great game.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator