Posts created by Refrenz

posted in Roads of Rome: New Generation 2 on Nov 26, 17 3:30 PM
I have lost count of the number of times this game has crashed. So far it has crashed [1] Once loading the game [2] Once loading a level [3] A few times during a level [4] A few more times at the end of a level.

Out of the hundreds of games I've bought on Big Fish over the past several years (including all previous Roads of Rome games), this game is the most unstable and bug-ridden I have experienced by quite a margin.

On the plus side, when it works, the game is (as always with the Roads of Rome series), excellent.

posted in Maze: Subject 360 Collector's Edition on Nov 1, 15 5:01 PM
I just installed the demo and got a message saying "an error occurred while initializing the game. Please update your graphics driver and try again".

So, I did update my Nvidia graphics drivers to the latest ones (I'm on Windows 10 x64, Nvidia GTX560Ti OC), rebooted the PC and tried again ... didn't work, same message.

Devs - if I can't play it, I won't buy it. The ball is in your court ...

posted in Infected: The Twin Vaccine Collector's Edition on Jun 24, 12 9:02 AM
I'm liking this game so far - the graphics are pretty good - deliberately drab/realistic to add to the bleak tone of the game. the music also suits the tone of the game.

The widescreen option gives a proper 16:10 ratio widescreen picture - not the more common 'stretch the picture to fill the screen' fake widescreen which results in distorted squashed graphics.

I'll keep playing as it's been quite enjoyable so far - it's a definite SE purchase but it all depends on the extras as to whether the CE is worthwhile.

posted in Luxor Evolved on May 14, 12 3:56 PM
I got this game from another site and absolutely love it except ... it's too short with only 8 stages (6 levels per stage). Older Luxor games had 12 or 13 stages if I recall. That's the only negative I can find with this game though.

My favourite Luxor has always been Luxor:Amun Rising until now, but with Evolved I now I have two favourite Luxor games. Here's what they've done ...

* Kept the fundamental Luxor gameplay we love.
* Given the graphics an early 1980s arcade game vector graphics makeover, complete with flickering vectors - a really nice touch.
* Added a brilliant soundtrack that has been heavily influenced by Daft Punk's TRON: Legacy.
* Added more powerups.
* Increased the game difficulty - you gotta be quicker with your marble popping to survive this one!

The more challenging gameplay, and audio/visual presentation really does make game feel amazing to play and when completing a level it feels like you have achieved something. This is a superb update to the Luxor franchise. I only hope they do Luxor Evolved 2!!!

posted in LandGrabbers on Aug 30, 11 1:18 PM
I Tried playing this game again yesterday and it worked when launched directly from the exe file, but after a while the game just crashed back to the desktop and since then I have been unable to get it working.

I downloaded the Landgrabbers demo from another game site and it worked perfectly, so they got my money.

Sorry Big Fish, I would have liked to purchase it from you, but there nothing I did got it working properly, and the reason for that was because ... there was nothing wrong with my PC in the first place - there's something wrong at your end!

posted in LandGrabbers on Jul 31, 11 3:32 PM
I'm on Win 7 64 bit and get the access violation error trying to load the demo. The Big Fish help section did helpme get it working - I ran the game by right-clicking the landgrabbers.exe in the game folder and selecting the "Run as administrator" option and it loaded and ran without any problems.

To make this permanent, I ticked the "run this program as an administrator" option on the compatibility tab in the properties window and it all runs fine when launched directly from the landgrabbers.exe (or a shortcut to that file).

Running Landgrabbers from the new Big Fish games manager however causes the access violation error - the Big Fish game manager is ignoring the fact I have ticked the "run as admin" box in the landgrabbers.exe properties.

posted in Luxor HD on May 25, 11 1:47 AM
It's HD but there are black borders on the left/right as the game was designed for 4:3 screen ratios and not designed to be a widescreen game. I'm using a 1080p monitor (1920x1080) and the visible screen area is 1440x1080 which is definitely a step up fro the original 800x600.

Sadly, the sound quality appears to be the same as the original - I mean sadly as in it hasn't been re-done in better sound quality - but on the plus side it is the Luxor music we know and love.

I have all the luxor games (Amun Rising being my fave) and will definitely use a game code to buy Luxor HD - a classic game that's been given a lick of paint and that's all the excuse I need to play through it again.

posted in The Tiny Bang Story on May 16, 11 11:51 AM
Chapter 2 - collecting 24 balls. The game thinks there is one left to collect but there isn't (I've checked the locations listed in another part of the forum). The hint button does not work anywhere which also indicates there is nothing else to collect (it is fully charged), yet the game thinks I still need to find one more ball.

Result - game broken, can't progress. Can't be arsed to start again. Very annoyed. >:-(

posted in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland on May 3, 11 3:28 PM
gameslvr wrote:Can someone please tell me what hdo stands for?

"HdO Adventure" seems to be a brand name of the game company Solilab, who produced this game. They have other titles in the "HdO adventure" series, like Jack The Ripper, Secrets of the Vatican for example. HdO appears to be Solilab's abbreviation for "Hidden Object".

posted in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland on May 3, 11 2:38 PM
Can't see why people are slating this game so much - It's an enjoyable title and I'm considering a purchase. I agree that objects are often tiny, but they're really not too difficult to find (any to my eyes, the lizard did look like a lizard) from my experience. The graphics are not as sharp as a lot of games, but I believe that to be a design decision rather than poor artwork, as the style seems to be influenced by old book illustrations.

Overall, an enjoyable title so far (after 30 mins demo time).

posted in Pathfinders: Lost at Sea on Mar 22, 11 10:50 AM
wini1 wrote:Ok....COW is new to me! What does that mean? Thanks.

Catch Of the Week, but it should really be called COTW I think.

posted in Roads of Rome II on Dec 20, 10 6:41 AM
Great game - like an expansion pack for the first game which is awesome because I love the first game.

posted in Samantha Swift and the Fountains of Fate on Dec 18, 10 11:18 AM
I've downloaded the demo as it is today's DD game - it ran when it was loaded for the first time, but the graphics did not display properly - the game screen was smaller than the computer screen leaving a black border all around it. Using a widescreen monitor, I have no issues with black borders on the left and right of the screen, but this game has black borders at the top and bottom as well, essentially shrinking the entire game to the same size it would be if played in windowed mode.

When trying to load the game on subsequent attempts to load it, I get the message "Error: Access violation at 0x02CCEFAE (tried to write to 0x00000000), program terminated." A re-install does not fix things.

The problem is not with my PC (Win 7 64-bit premium, ATI 4850), the problem lies with this game - there is a premium edition of this game available on another site, and that runs perfectly on my computer - that version of this game is displayed correctly and does not crash.

The standard edition on another site also has the same display problem, but at least it will let me load it more than once!

posted in Twisted: A Haunted Carol on Dec 8, 10 3:16 AM
Thanks sapmem, but I got past that bit and opened the door and had the key removed from my inventory, but the game still thinks the door is locked - the door is actually open, but also, there is a bit of the door and lock still on screen 'hovering' in mid air - corrupted graphics.

posted in Twisted: A Haunted Carol on Dec 7, 10 1:41 PM
I played just under 10 minutes of the demo and got the key to open the frozen locked door. The door opened when I used the key but the graphic with the frozen lock and some of the door around it stayed on-screen in front of the open door.

End result - the game thinks I have opened the door and it has therefore removed the key from my inventory, BUT, when I try and click the doorway to enter it, it still thinks the door is locked and I no longer have the key to open the frozen lock.

The game cannot be played any further because of this bug.

posted in Puzzle Quest on Nov 29, 10 4:10 PM
Great game - I originally played it on the Nintendo DS, then bought it for the xBox 360, PC, and iPhone (yup, I like it a lot). This game will last for hours and hours - for those unfamiliar, it is essentially an RPG storyline with a match-3 game as the combat system, although that's simplifying it rather a lot as it's much more in-depth than a normal match-3 game.

You'd be silly to miss this one for $2.99.

posted in Haunted Halls: Green Hills Sanitarium on Nov 29, 10 10:12 AM
You know there is something wrong with a game when the technical issues thread has 5x more posts than the reviews/comments thread.

Any update on an update BF?

posted in Haunted Halls: Green Hills Sanitarium on Nov 27, 10 4:24 PM
I've just downloaded the demo to try, but the game cursor 'freezes' every few seconds when I play - my PC is able to cope quite nicely with the latest PC games, so a hidden object game should not prove troublesome, yet it does.

Further observation shows that the entire game is freezing every few seconds - the electricity animation, the glowing hint button - they both also freeze when the cursor freezes.

Turning the custom game cursor off stops the cursor locking up but the rest of the game still continues to freeze every few seconds.

This game is currently unplayable.

Another fishie here who is really looking forward to MCF7.

I'll grab my copy of MCF 7 as soon as Big Fish sort their pricing problems out and stop charging non USA customers higher prices (even if they pay in US dollars) than USA based customers.

For those buying when it's released, have fun and hope you enjoy what will no doubt be an excellent game.

posted in The Lost City of Gold on Nov 17, 10 1:41 PM
dregester wrote:I've always paid 3.49 for the DD (2.99 plus .50 tax) but maybe that's because I live in Wash State where BF is located.

I've always paid $3.51 ($0.52 VAT) and now the DD is showing $3.99. Good job today's DD game sucks, because BF's new pricing means I would be paying more for it (even more again if I paid the £2.99 charged in my local currency of British Pounds as £2.99 = $4.75).

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator