Posts created by Gwhynot

posted in Royal Envoy Collector's Edition on Nov 9, 11 9:39 PM
Thanks to y'all who have posted the info about this new release. I just went to the dev's page and tried RE2 through level 6. I'm not sure this is the place to start reviewing it yet. I'm just... initially disappointed. Astounded that so many successful aspects of the original game seem to have been abandoned. What I really, really, REALLY wanted was just more levels of the first game! More of same! It was so great!

I'm going to wait until BF picks up RE2 before buying it. The way it looks so far, I can wait. Especially if the levels are going to get so hard that I can't finish them. And no walkthrough?

So. How about they release a level editor for RE 1? That way those of us who are absolutely thrilled with the original can create our own new variations of same.

posted in Lost Souls: Enchanted Paintings on Oct 6, 11 9:27 AM
Er, just want to add my 2 cents here, I agree it would be nice if the game was longer. That's because I like the game. For me the biggest selling point for Lost Souls is not the story line but the gorgeous art work. I feel like I definitely got my money's worth in quality here, if not quantity.

I would love to see other developers use these "swaying in the breeze" motion algorithms for the background foliage in outdoor scenes, I think it's just amazing.

Note to Puzzledone: Best wishes for your recovery. Hang in there.

posted in Oddly Enough: Pied Piper on Oct 5, 11 7:58 PM
Oh! Thanks for the tip on getting water! I was stuck there too. I kept trying to pick up the various buckets and bottles from inside the rooms - kind of frustrating to see the water well working and not be able to pick up a bucket to carry the water in.

posted in Royal Envoy Collector's Edition on Sep 29, 11 6:39 PM
RE-2? I've played the first one through so many times I've memorized most of the levels. Including the CE bonus ones. More!

posted in Lost Souls: Enchanted Paintings on Sep 28, 11 8:35 PM
I love this game! I bought the CE when it came out and I love it. It's one of my favorite games of this type, along with the Awakenings trilogy.

The art work is gorgeous. I especially like the forest scenes where almost every leaf and flower has its own separate motion. The whole screen looks like it's swaying in a warm, gentle breeze. I live in a big city so this kind of thing is exactly what I crave in an hour or two of relaxing game time. Chapter 4 is also a favorite. Very colorful and fun.

I don't have the SE so I don't know what's missing from it. Chapter 6? I agree that's an odd thing to leave out, but I would buy the SE anyway mostly for the artwork. The CE has a bonus feature that let's you jump to any chapter, which is great. That's something I wish all the adventure games had as a standard feature.

posted in Mystery Case Files: Return to Ravenhearst ™ on Sep 26, 11 8:26 PM
I have one comment only for this elaborate, extremely well-crafted game: Why is there no Skip option available on the arcade game? It requires very fast reflexes that I don't have, and I would have been unable to finish the game if not for this helpful forum. Other puzzles have a Skip button, and I was very annoyed that this one did not.

posted in Lost Souls: Enchanted Paintings Collector's Edition on Sep 19, 11 9:27 PM
I really like this game! The overall story line is interesting although some of the characters' behaviour is pretty ridiculous. I mean, walking into someone's house and cooking their dinner for them while they complain about waiting? It makes me laugh it's all so silly. But hey it's just a game and it's ok to be silly if the gameplay is good enough, which I think it definitely is.

I think the artwork is AMAZING! Especially chapter 2 in the enchanted forest. The colors are so vibrant, and the whole screen looks like it's swaying in the wind. Every leaf, every flower, even the water, all look like they're moving to a gentle summer breeze. So much gorgeous light on my computer screen!

I don't have any resolution trouble. I have a Toshiba laptop widescreen.

The bonus feature pays for itself in my opinion with one outstanding feature - direct access to any chapter. So I can replay the gorgeous forest chapter without having to go through the crypt. I've nothing against a good graveyard scene in a game, and this one is pretty good, just not my personal favorite in this game.

I like all the chapters, they are all well done. The puzzles are colorful and fun. I play in Casual mode and have to use the hint button quite a lot, but sometimes it's just cuz I'm lazy.

I did wish there was more to the game but it's pretty much the same playing time as some other games I like. I bought the CE and to me the free access feature is worth the extra $. A sequel would be nice. I'd really like to see more games drawn by these artists. Especially the forest.

posted in Awakening: The Goblin Kingdom Collector's Edition on Sep 10, 11 6:02 AM
I'm currently enjoying replaying this game - for the third time. I just love it. May I make one suggestion for any upcoming games in this series? How about allowing free access to any chapter as a bonus once the game is finished? I would really like to be able to jump right into my favorite scenes without having to play the whole game through again. Not that I mind doing that Just a suggestion.

More games like this one please.

posted in Awakening: The Goblin Kingdom Collector's Edition on Sep 4, 11 7:13 PM
I love all three of the Awakenings games, and am currently playing this new one through again to see the pretty artwork. I wonder if BoomZap might consider enabling optional chapter selection as a bonus in future games, so that once the game is played all the way through you could jump right back into a favorite chapter?

Thank you, BoomZap !

posted in Awakening: The Goblin Kingdom Collector's Edition on Aug 28, 11 1:28 PM
Just finished the bonus chapter. My total game time including the Epilogue was just over 6 hours. I will be playing it through again more than once to see the artwork (especially Chapter 3 ) and some of the puzzles.

A couple of puzzles near the end had me stymied - especially the one where you turn a series of knobs in proper sequence to reconstruct an image. So many variables! My poor old brain can't figure those things out. But I bet those puzzles make for excellent gameplay for sharper minds.

I only had to refer to the SG in the Epilogue, mostly because I got lost. Yeah well.

I recommend the CE for anyone who enjoys this game because it extends the story and provides more puzzles and a nice final chapter. To this episode. There could be more to this story. Maybe there will be more? Please? We don't get many games of this quality that are not dark and creepy. More would be good.

posted in Awakening: The Goblin Kingdom Collector's Edition on Aug 27, 11 11:55 PM
Just finished Chapter 3. I love this game! It's colorful, it's magical, it's fun. Delightful!

So far I only had to skip one puzzle. It's easy enough to skip and there's no penalty.

There are only 2 more chapters? Drat. And this is the last game of the series? Drat! I really like this game. I hope they will make more like it, maybe starting another story line using the same artists, the same style. This game - like the other two in the series - is a keeper. I can already tell that the replay value is going to be excellent.

posted in Awakening: The Goblin Kingdom Collector's Edition on Aug 27, 11 6:34 PM
I totally love the first two games in this series. I downloaded the trial today, played the whole hour, and bought it as soon as the hour was up. I just finished downloading the CE and haven't gone back to it yet - so this is just my impression after playing for one hour.

I miss the beautiful forest and garden scenery from the first two Awakenings games. This one is in a different setting. But the artwork is not at all disappointing. It's very interesting to look at, and the style is the same. With some improvements even! One word, a very mild spoiler - the turtle. How they do that?! There are some wonderfully captivating works of art here.

Gameplay so far is right at my level. I've only had to ask Owl for a hint on one of the puzzles. Most of them are easy enough to figure out without being too easy (for me). There are several different kinds of puzzles, enough that if they repeat the same kind later on in the game I probably won't mind.

Characters - the Pocket Dragon. What can I say? It purrs! I might be lured into any game that had a Pocket Dragon in it.

There's not much story development in the first hour. The first two Awakenings games have such a lovely coming-of-age type story line going, I hope to see that brought to some kind of satisfactory conclusion here. Looking forward to playing it through to find out.

Impression so far:

posted in Royal Envoy on Jul 30, 11 10:56 AM
I bought Timebuilders-Pyramids a few weeks ago and for the first time enjoyed a TM/sim type game. But the time limits in that series are (IMO!) insane. So when I found RE and started playing it, I was very pleasantly surprised to find that I could actually win the gold sometimes. Actually I've won all the levels now, after repeated playing and a bit of help from this forum

RE is now one of my all-time favorite games because it's so very well designed and it's just so darn cute! I agree with other reviewers that the developers' own delight with this product really shows. The attention to detail, the sense of fun throughout the game is a joy. Even the soundtrack is great.

For a COW (now really, isn't there some other acronym available) RE is a steal. Snap it up! Especially anyone who hasn't tried TM games before. There's no better one around to start with. That I've found yet. Which is why I'm going to buy the CE. And hope for a sequel soon.

RE =

posted in Island Tribe 2 on Jul 1, 11 6:56 PM
Thank you! I was having trouble with the demo saving my level progress, but after reinstalling it seems to be working ok now. I really like this game and will buy it now.

posted in Island Tribe 2 on Jul 1, 11 6:55 PM
Wow, I just re-installed the game and it's working fine! I will definitely buy it now.

posted in Island Tribe 2 on Jun 29, 11 7:57 PM
I would like to buy this game, as I am enjoying the first few levels, but when I exit and reload it starts over at Level 1. This is unacceptable. Guess I won't buy it.

posted in The Timebuilders: Caveman's Prophecy on Jun 27, 11 10:35 PM
I don't usually like to play sim-type games because of the time limit thing. However I really enjoyed the first Timebuilders Pyramid game, so I bought this one too. I wouldn't have a chance of finishing either of them if you had to beat the clock. Those time limits are insane! But the game is so cute and fun to play, I like it anyway. I hope there is a third installment in this series? It's very clever. Except for the dialogue, as previously noted. I agree that the stone-age voice acting could have been better. Sometimes I wondered if the actors even knew what they were supposed to be saying. It just didn't work for me. So... the next one could be better, but I surely hope there will be a next one. More, please!

posted in Awakening: Moonfell Wood on Jan 20, 11 6:25 PM
robthomas wrote:Loving this game, but I can't figure out what I'm supposed to put in the fireplace to pull out the teapot pieces, where to get the flowers for that box, ...

Have you checked out the blog walkthrough they have posted here on BF? I used it several times when I got stuck. It's very helpful.

I'm playing Moonfell through for the 2nd time and it's just as lovely and fun as the first time. Excellent replay value!

Good game! I got this one because it's by the same developer, BoomZap, that created the two awesome Awakenings games that I like so much (Dreamless Castle and Moonfell Wood). I totally love their style. It's beautifully drawn - especially the gardens, flowers, fountains... so lovely to look at. The artists paid much attention to detail and it shows. I think they got it just right.

The puzzles are at a good level for me. Clever, original, and challenging enough but not frustrating. Good story too. Ghostly but not creepy. I bought the CE and think it's well worth the price. Looking forward to other games by same developer. More please!

posted in Awakening: Moonfell Wood on Jan 6, 11 8:50 AM
WebsiteBoomzap wrote:@ Nat_pink: Yep - you caught us. Death at Fairing Point, Awakening: The Dreamless Castle, and Awakening: Moonfell Wood are all by the same developer - Boomzap......

Ah-HA! Hidden within these feedback posts from other gamers, I found this secret clue from the Developer. I'm downloading Death at Fairing Point now. I hope it's as good as Moonfell Wood. Thanks!

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator