Posts created by VenomousKate

posted in My Singing Monsters on Dec 18, 13 6:43 AM
Every time I try to purchase something in the market -- a decoration or whatever -- the slide-in advertising the Picnic Basket sale appears then crashes my game. I can't actually make my purchase in the market OR even click the sale thing on the slide-in. The only thing I can do is switch to task manager and close out the game, then restart. Several attempts in, and I'm getting frustrated.

posted in Gourmania 2: Great Expectations on May 4, 13 1:16 PM
Glad someone mentioned using the scrub brush. I kept getting a message to "use a sponge to clean this place until it shines" and had done so repeatedly, but no final star. Hopped online, found this suggestion, and used the brush. It worked!

posted in Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Premature Burial on Nov 22, 11 4:16 PM
shelbel255 wrote:I play game for an hour or so and quit the game, but when I return to it later on, I have to start over. I have tried this numerous times. I have also uninstalled the game and re-installed it twice. I still have to start over every time I leave the game and come back to it. Isn't suppose to save your progress?

I don't have time to sit for hours and play the game.

Help!
Tanks!!

I'm having this exact same problem. Very frustrating!

posted in Awakening: Moonfell Wood on Jan 30, 11 8:15 AM
DvDiva, it's very thoughtful of you to put those steps so clearly, and I appreciate it! Unfortunately, I'd performed all of those actions and, rather than being able to enter the cave, the cursor remained an 'open hand'. Clicking did nothing. There's just no entering the darned thing!

This was after uninstalling, deleting, re-downloading AND replaying to get to that point. How very frustrating!

posted in Awakening: Moonfell Wood on Jan 25, 11 9:06 AM
I'm having the same problem, even though I downloaded the game for the first time yesterday. (Presumably, that would be the "fixed" download.)

So, those 3 hours of game play I already have were a waste, since I have to uninstall and re-download this game (which takes forever)?

Just an FYI: things like this might be why BFG club members are getting so irritated. We don't want to have to "chat" just to be told the same thing -- uninstall, re-download, re-play!

posted in Haunted Legends: The Queen of Spades on Jan 19, 11 1:12 PM
I had no problems with the demo, so I used a game credit and bought the game. Instead of simply unlocking the game, though, the game manager insisted on a completely fresh download. I've been having problems ever since!

The game lags, freezes and crashes to the point it's not even playable. My video card's perfectly fine, thank you, and I've updated everything. It's not my PC; it's the game.

And life's too short to waste it sitting in front of poorly-designed games. I'm miffed, and considering how many customers have spoken up about this one, I feel BFG needs to ensure this game gets fixed.

posted in Affair Bureau on Oct 3, 10 6:57 PM
Good grief. Was this written by a 14-year-old who speaks English as a second language? This was absolutely horrid!

posted in Enlightenus II: The Timeless Tower on Sep 12, 10 8:56 PM
Loved the first one, so I bought this on the Labor Day sale without a demo. Honestly, I didn't see that much different from the first one. Same beautiful graphics, same bad voice acting, same generous hint system. This one did take soooo long to load that I started worrying (needlessly) that it would crash my old laptop, but things were fine.

The game was awfully short, though - less than 3 hours.

I did notice that on the last level (no, this isn't a spoiler) they hint at another one coming out. That one I'll be sure to demo before purchase!

posted in Nightmare Adventures: The Witch's Prison on Sep 12, 10 1:14 PM
Game type: Adventure.

Graphics: Well done but dark, with heavy use of smudge to create atmosphere. (For once, though, you can adjust game brightness from the options menu. Nice!)

Difficulty: Easy-medium. Puzzles are skippable and hints are unlimited but need to refresh.

What's innovative: Although this game starts with what's becoming a fairly typical storyline (there's an asylum and you have to escape from it or bad things will happen), there's enough supernatural originality thrown in to keep things interesting. And for once (!!!) the developers didn't insist on setting the default music level obnoxiously loud. If you want to hear it, you can crank it up in the options menu.

What's irritating: Some of the puzzles weren't really puzzling but, instead, involved a LOT of clicking. Hey, if that's the only thing I have to complain about then I am thrilled!

Game length: Extremely short (three or so hours) if you're a puzzle skipper. Rather long (two to three evenings) if you're a puzzle doer.

Fun factor: I really enjoyed this adventure game and felt it was a wonderful break from the HOGs and iHOGs we've been seeing so much of. As a fan of spooky, mysterious storylines this one definitely appealed to me.

One previous reviewer seemed shocked (shocked, I tell ya!) to find out there were supernatural symbols/references in the game... as if the words 'nightmare' and 'witch' in the game title weren't sufficient warning? So, do note: if you're offended by such things then this game isn't for you.

(Updated): I meant to add my appreciation for how thoroughly the game developers thought out the various things a player might do in this game. When it comes to adventure games, I'm a big clicker, and it seemed like there were clever game messages every time I clicked on anything -- a rug, a pile of rubbish, a wall -- or tried combining two things in my inventory. I *so* much prefer that to the annoying bzzzz or other such noise that most games insist on. It encourages player exploration, and it just makes the game that much more fun.

posted in Haunted Manor: Lord of Mirrors on Sep 11, 10 6:06 PM
Story line: Stan can never turn down a bet, so when his friends challenged him to enter the haunted manor he couldn't resist. Unfortunately, the Lord of Mirrors now wants to ensure Stan can never leave... just as the Lord once trapped all of his servants there. Going from room to room, Stan must now recover mirror shards and piece together the mirror that will show his reflection if he ever wants to escape. Can he do it before his soul leaves his physical body and traps him in the manor forever?

Graphics: Not the most gorgeous, but nicely done. Some smudginess designed to increase the spooky atmosphere.

Game type: HOG with puzzles between levels. (1, levels with 2 or more hidden object scenes and 2 puzzles on each level, and the final level composed of 13 scenes.)

Difficulty: Easy.

Narration: Strictly text, though not intrusive.

Hint system: Unlimited, wait for refresh. Puzzles are skippable.

What's innovative: Not much, to be honest.

What's irritating: Having to "clean" a mirror (hold your mouse button down and run the cursor across a mirror shape repeatedly) between levels. One level, okay, but every single one? It got repetitive. Also, you repeat each scene on each level twice, then again at the end. Folks who easily memorize where items are hidden might find there isn't enough challenge.

Game length: Although each level seems short, there are so many that the game can take several hours. (I spent 6 hours on this game, though with plenty of pausing while I did chores around the house.)

Fun factor: A good game for folks new to HOGs.

posted in Reincarnations: Awakening on Sep 11, 10 12:04 PM
Storyline: You begin the game as Jane, a freelance writer working on an article about reincarnation. Throughout the game you explore Jane's past lives, which means you go through five different "time periods" and locations where you search for hidden objects and solve puzzles.

Difficulty: Extremely simple, both on the hidden objects and the puzzles.

Graphics: Gorgeous.

Narration: Voice acting, and it's bad. (Am I the only one who thought Jane sounded like Daphne from 'Scooby Doo'?)

Game mode: Relaxed by default.

Tutorial: Yes, very instructive.

Hint system: Unlimited, wait for refresh.

What's innovative: What other PC game will have you listening to Tibetan Throat Singing?

What's irritating: The simplicity of the game makes it feel more suitable for children than adults. So does the voice acting, which sounds more like a preschool teacher reading a story to kids than actual narration. Also, the game is VERY short. (My gameplay came to just around 2 hours.)

Fun, but probably best suited for younger players or those who care more about looking at pretty pictures than actual intensity in the game experience.

posted in Elixir of Immortality on Sep 6, 10 8:55 PM
Game type: iHog with easy puzzles interspersed, though it often feels like one HOG scene after another in rapid succession.

Game length: Average (2-4 hours.)

Difficulty: Easy.

Graphics: Fairly good, but heavy-handed use of ambient light. (I hate that.)

Narration: Well-written text.
:
Game mode: Options are casual/advanced. Casual gives plenty of hints, lots of sparkles to indicate interactive areas. Advanced gives less of both.

Tutorial? Yes.

Hint system: Unlimited. Wait for refill.

Other comments: The inventory, at the bottom of the screen, pops up when you're trying to exit rooms. The diary often mentions having been to places or talked to characters you haven't yet encountered, but that's sometimes helpful. Lots of walking back and forth. Lots. Plenty of anachronisms (something else I'm picky about) in what's otherwise a mideval castle setting.

Fun factor: It's a fun game, but I wouldn't miss sleep for this one.

posted in Lost in the City: Post Scriptum on Sep 6, 10 8:54 AM
I was, to put it lightly, not a fan of the first Lost in the City game. Post Scriptum, however, stands out in my mind as one of the best computer games I've ever played, period. It's on par with 'Indigo Prophecy', though in an iHOG format, so even hardcore gamers might enjoy this. Dark, tense story telling, post-apocalyptic and with innovative gameplay.

Game type: Interactive Hidden Object adventure which includes occasional puzzles.

Story line: You and Ann have been released by the Guardians now that the Sphere no longer shows the future. Finally, you can leave the isolated city to rejoin humanity! But, after the two of you make your escape, you find a horrible fate has befallen the rest of the world. Meanwhile, Ann is once again kidnapped! Can you save Ann and, perhaps, the rest of the world, too?

Game length: Thirteen levels, but each one is LONG. This isn't a game you'll blow through in a couple of hours, which is good. If you like tense, dark storylines you'll want to savor this one and it's soooo worth doing so. (Even so, I still didn't want this game to end!)

Graphics: Excellent, though because it's a 'post-apocalyptic' theme expect the smudgy, urban look.

Game mode (relaxed or timed): Relaxed by default, although some of the puzzles involve a timer. Puzzles are skippable.

Tutorial? Yes.

Hint number/availability and time to refresh: Abundant hints available. Collect violet butterflies at every HOG scene to get more hints. No refresh wait once you've got multiple butterflies saved up.

What's innovative: Where to begin? The storyline is original. The puzzles are not terribly challenging but still make you think. Players are frequently presented with popups asking them to choose which direction to take, and each choice leads to a different result (though you'll eventually be led to the correct choice). Great use of the magnifying glass to search for smaller objects. Very immersive first-person view so you truly feel you are the main character.

What's irritating: Honestly, I had to search hard to come up with something negative to say about this game. There seem to be numerous grammatical or spelling errors at different points, but to me that's not a game-killer. Also, I didn't like was the music in a couple of scenes but I usually turn the music way down while leaving the S/Fx up.

Excellent, excellent game! Wish there were more like it!

posted in Drawn: The Painted Tower ™ on Sep 5, 10 6:17 PM
Wow, after reading some of the glowing comments above, I almost wonder if I played the same game as everyone else! Then again, I don't usually play strictly puzzle adventures (I much prefer iHOGs), so maybe that's why I just didn't enjoy this one. Unfortunately, I'd bought it on the Endless Weekend Labor Day sale without demo simply based on all of these glowing reviews. That'll teach me!

Game type: Puzzle adventure.

Graphics: Gorgeous and full-screen (no black bars on the sides).

Voice acting:- Very good voice work accompanied by text dialogue. Unfortunately, you can't click past it.

Game mode: Relaxed, no timer involved.

Hint system: Hints are available throughout the game by clicking on a portrait of Franklin. You can choose which goal you want help with. The system will tell you how many hints/tips are available for that particular goal or item. You'll have to wait for the hint system to refresh before using the next one, and the higher you get in the tower (closer to game end) the longer you'll wait for that refresh.

Puzzles: Not terribly difficult, and there are blog walkthroughs available to help. Puzzles are skippable if you wait, but since this entire game is about walking from one puzzle to the other, why skip?

What's innovative: The hint system does just that: it HINTS, but it doesn't provide you with direct solutions -- it just points you in the next direction you need to go. The artwork is superb as well. There are some unique puzzles that will have you coloring, drawing, chiseling and painting, too.

What's irritating: Unfortunately, this is yet another game that involves a lot of going from one room to another, finding a clue here, carrying it over there to use, etc. And that, of course, means A LOT of waiting for rooms to load so you can, for instance, place one item before backing out of the room (and waiting for the next one to load), then lather, rinse, repeat.

To be honest, I found that so irritating that I stopped enjoying the game and looked forward to finishing the darn thing.

posted in Lost in the City on Sep 5, 10 12:04 PM
I had high hopes for this game after playing the demo. Unfortunately (after game club purchase) what began as a tense psychologically thrilling storyline with some rather innovative game play quickly became dull.

Rather than allowing players to interact with the scenery freely, the game micromanages the playing experience to the point that it's infuriating. For instance, you wake up in a room filled with a number of objects and a locked door. Instead of exploring the room and trying to figure your way out, you're given first a list of "hidden" objects to find.

Great, okay, I love hidden object games... but as soon as you've found the items list is replaced by a new list of instructions like "get the gun". So you do that. Next prompt: "Shoot the lock." Then "Leave the room". Like you couldn't figure that out on your own after seeing a gun and a lock preventing you from opening a door???

It's not just the micromanagement that's irritating, though. As you complete list after list of finding not-so-hidden-objects followed by one set of instructions after another you ALSO wind up reading screen after screen after screen of text taking you through the story line. (Which, incidentally, boils down to you playing as a guy who fell in love with a girl on their first date but then woke up unconscious in her room only to find that you and she are both pawns in some military-industrial complex's efforts to take over the world. Now, at great risk to your own personal safety, you have to find the girl you hardly know and save her, and then eventually save the world.)

But to find this out? You will end up spending more time READING than actually PLAYING the game.

Sorry, folks, but when I want to read a book I sit down with a book to read. When I want to play a game, I want there to be some kind of playing involved, and not just incessant clicking and busywork with no sense of fun involved.

(UPDATE: Edited to add that I consider the sequel, Lost in the City: Post Scriptum, to be one of the best video games of any genre I've ever played!)

posted in Midnight Mysteries: Salem Witch Trials on Aug 28, 10 9:19 PM
I loved the Midnight Mysteries: Edgar Allen Poe game and was so excited to see this one available. Since it was a Saturday night, my only plan was to find a good game to play after putting the kiddo to bed. Wow, was this the perfect find!

Halfway through the demo I knew it was a keeper. Great graphics, spooky story line (I love spooky stories!) that made me jump in my seat a few times, and an intelligent storyline. The mystery never got old, and the puzzles were just challenging enough.

I managed to find 51 clovers, so I unlocked the unlimited mode. Good thing - I can tell this is one I'll want to play again!

posted in Flux Family Secrets: The Ripple Effect on Aug 28, 10 3:49 PM
Wow, I really enjoyed this game! Though not usually a fan of FROGs, this one was so clever and entertaining. The graphics were quite nice, and the music was actually enjoyable (for a change).

I particularly liked how the game play went from one time period to another, which seemed to provide just the right dose of newness to keep me hooked and playing far longer than I intended to. Also, the bits of historical information were neat!

No, puzzles weren't terribly challenging... but that's a bonus in my opinion since I play games to relax, not to spend the night pounding my head against the desk trying to figure out insanely difficult solutions.

Interestingly, the game seems to suggest there are more difficult HOGs on replay. I think I may come back to this one in a few weeks to find out if that's true. Meanwhile, I'm off to demo the next Flux Family game because I sure enjoyed this one a lot!

posted in Mystic Diary: Haunted Island on Aug 22, 10 7:06 PM
Nice adventure HOG. The puzzles weren't terribly difficult (yay!) and were skippable (also yay!). Storyline was good. Items weren't too hard to find. There was a small amount of humor. Music wasn't too bad. On the other hand, there was quite a bit of back-and-forth traveling and revisiting certain scenes so locating items eventually became a matter of memory more than anything else.

All in all, a good way to spend a few hours.

posted in Robin's Quest: A Legend Born on Aug 22, 10 12:30 PM
This was a fun little game, with the emphasis being on little... as in, short. All of Robin's talking made the game terribly simple with the result that I finished it in slightly under two hours. That's a shame -- it had such great potential!

The graphics were nice, the story was interesting, the mini-quests and mini-games all contributed to the fun. For once, I didn't even mind the game music -- it was soothing, and not distracting at all.

Still, from a player's perspective it's incredibly annoying to play a free demo then pay for the game only to finish it shortly thereafter!

posted in Snark Busters: Welcome to the Club on Aug 18, 10 4:54 PM
Well, I learned two things from this game: what a FROG is, and that I should always, ALWAYS download a demo before buying. Based on the first few warm and fuzzy reviews, I didn't demo it, and now consider it a wasted purchase.

Although I love HOGs, and I've played a few FROGs I didn't mind, I despise having to search for umpteen itty bitty pieces. Three? Four? Fine. A dozen just to create one object? Not so much. I've wound up having to use the hints so often -- and to wait for them to refill for so long -- that it's just not enjoyable.

Rather than feel like I've wasted an evening (on top of wasting money), I'm going to stop playing this one and go demo another in the hope of finding something fun.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator