Posts created by blackgsd

posted in Syberia - Part 1 on Mar 7, 12 12:20 PM
adelaidedoglet wrote:What bothers me about this little fiasco is not so much the chopping up the game to be useable by a different audience, but the dishonesty of leaving reviews up that are only pertinent to the game as it was originally presented; not one word about the dissection.

Absolutely. There are pages of glowing reviews for the original game that ought to come down immediately since most people are going to believe that's what they're getting, not this incredibly bad, hacked apart 'rework' of Syberia for platforms other than the PC. I pity the ones who buy even one part of this release and believe that this is Sokal's masterpiece. If it's their first adventure game, it will probably be their last.

Anuman has no shame. And Big Fish has to share their part of the blame. They could cancel their agreement with Anuman and should rather than participate in the ruin of classic adventure games. The siren call of the almighty dollar is just too loud, I guess.

posted in Syberia - Part 1 on Mar 7, 12 9:42 AM
smpilotmom wrote:VERY DISAPPOINTED!!!

No blasted wonder. This is not Syberia. This is a wreck of a great game. I played about half the demo and wanted to cry at what they've done to it to make it playable on multiple platforms. Characters are completely immobile except in the cutscenes, with none of the gestures and expressions and charm that made them so memorable. A huge panel pops up and down at the bottom of the screen if you need text. Kate sounds like a elephant on steroids in jackboots when she runs, and boy, does she run, only to jerk to a halt until you get her moving again. Forget any leisurely walk around Valadilene! Forget watching the river flow under the bridge, it's not about to flow any more.

And now you're even able to buy it in parts, 3 parts which cost more than the entire, unbutchered game anywhere else. First it was Dracula: Path of the Dragon, now it's Syberia. What other excellent adventures can they hack to pieces and cobble together again...in parts?

darkdisciple1313 wrote:And here we have yet another adventure starring an Indiana Croft wannabe with the professional standards of a one-toothed tomb robber in a Rudolph Valentino movie. When will writers actually attempt to create a character that does things properly, rather than using all manner of heavy objects to destroy things that might be worth more than the doofus's entire college education? If the main character in this game were a perfume salesperson, rather than offering a sample of the scent for a shopper's delight, she'd smash the bottle over their heads a dozen times, then have the nerve to charge them for it.

Rotfl! I wish I'd said that. You nailed my objection to this thing, darkdisciple. Gotta take a stand somewhere. Keep the game, BFG.

SoManyCrimes wrote:

...if they were going to take one piece of narrative advice I hope it would be this: the actions that the main character has to perform are orders of magnitude more important than anything else, especially since (in these games) there's never any choice about whether you want to do them or not and still proceed. If the main character is an archaeologist, then they have to behave like one EVEN IF what they're doing doesn't resemble real life in any way. No Egyptian tomb has ever looked like the one in this game, but you still can't have the main character bash it about with a crowbar and not expect a massive break in immersion.

You make very good points, SoManyCrimes, we don't have a choice about whether we smash and break ancient, beautiful things in this game (or act as irrationally in others) if we want to proceed.

When our heroine took a crowbar to that lovely (if unreal) wall and turned it into rubble, I made the only choice open to me and uninstalled the demo. It was just too much to take. But I might have bought this game if the developers had taken your narrative advice and shown just a little respect for our intelligence.

This is an archaeologist? I don't care who she looks like, she acts like Godzilla on a rampage, using her trusty crowbar to destroy an ancient tomb without even a tiny apology. Somebody please tell the developers that tomb was found by a real archaeologist who saw "wonderful things" and did his best to preserve them, not a teenybopper dressed completely out of her era.

posted in Bluebeard's Castle on Nov 18, 11 1:14 PM
Thank you, Sharon, that was nice of you.

posted in Twisted Lands: Insomniac on Sep 27, 11 2:24 PM
This game is freaking peculiar. It makes no sense at all and I can only assume the developers were smoking something when they mapped it out and never stopped to think what a mess it was later.

Nothing is explained. Nothing. Maybe they think I buy games for puzzles? Puzzles that you already have in-game crib sheets for? Puzzles that you can only skip after an unconscionably long wait? They should think again. Story, atmosphere, characters I enjoy, that's the main attraction of games for me and I have not been getting it. The stories in the casual games being churned out is wafer thin; in this game, the story is non-existant, nothing more than a hodgepodge of weird ideas that go nowhere, situations that are hinted at and never resolved. And I bought this thing? I think I'm going back to the old point and click adventures sitting on my shelf that I know are well-made and entertaining.

posted in Vampire Mansion: A Linda Hyde Mystery on Jun 6, 11 10:06 PM
The game play in the demo is really peculiar but it was 'after' I decided it was a no-go that I had a problem. When I closed out of the game, the Game Manager reduced itself to a tiny icon on my taskbar and would not open to full size when I clicked on it. That happened to me once before with Win7 (although, to be fair, not with a downloaded game from Big Fish) and I was not about to try figuring out how to fix it again. I probably did what I did this time...resorted to a System Restore. I've very occasionally had minor problems with a Big Fish game but this was something else!

posted in Phantasmat on Mar 12, 11 7:28 PM
This is the most disgusting piece of trash I've ever seen on Big Fish and I'm extremely glad it was only a monthly credit that I wasted on it. I don't care how well done they are, the images are sickening. Good grief, fish with maggots sprouting from their eyes? It astounds me that there were so many positive reviews for something so revolting. Believe me, I won't rely on these forum reviews again and I'll be very wary of any Codeminion games in future.

posted in Hallowed Legends: Samhain Collector's Edition on Mar 10, 11 9:30 PM
This is hands down the very best Casual game I've played in a long time, if ever.

posted in The Secret Legacy: A Kate Brooks Adventure on Jan 23, 11 9:00 PM
I uninstalled, reinstalled and managed to get rid of the bat by clicking to the right of it, not on the bat itself. I've noticed that several of the hotspots are not right on the items and they are small. The game is slightly sluggish and some of the items are not just small, they're tiny and others are too vague to really resemble what they're supposed to be (case in point, the microscope in the attic). But this game is beautiful. I'm ready to move into grandma's office. Decided to buy it.

posted in The Secret Legacy: A Kate Brooks Adventure on Jan 23, 11 4:19 PM
Well, I'm the umpteenth one that cannot get the baseball bat. A shame. I saw White Birds and based on a Benoit Sokal character and was ready to play this game. Not much chance of that.

posted in The Mystery of the Dragon Prince on Nov 29, 10 8:45 PM
I completely agree. Games like this, casual games, should always include a skip option.

posted in Mystery Trackers: The Void Collector's Edition on Oct 15, 10 3:51 PM
"Now I'm going to have to go and change my game review. It appears that there is at least a 35% chance of problems if you do anything outside of a given order in the game. This is simply unacceptable for coloring outside the lines."

Well, I've uninstalled it and it's staying uninstalled. I'll just chalk this one up to experience because I'm not about to play a game that requires me to follow a walkthrough.

posted in Mystery Trackers: The Void Collector's Edition on Oct 14, 10 7:43 PM
"I went to play the intercom mini game at the hotel and I couldn't move the buttons. I then waited for the skip button to charge, hit that and lost my inventory, menu bars etc. Couldn't even exit out of the game!"

And it happened to me. I feel like a beta tester.

posted in Drawn: Dark Flight ® Collector's Edition on Aug 31, 10 11:18 PM
I downloaded this demo to see what the fuss was all about. Even if I had been impressed by the game, which I wasn't and thought the guide was really smarmy and irritating, there is no way I'd buy it after being subjected to that long ad at the end of the demo. What was the point of that? Anyone who'd played through it had already decided for or against.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator