Posts created by roxiestar74

posted in Paranormal Pursuit: The Gifted One Collector's Edition on Oct 11, 14 3:28 AM
I beta tested this game about 2 months ago and forgot about it. It wasn't because I didn't enjoy the demo, because I did, it is because I have played a lot of games since then, and most games fade out of my memory when I am not currently playing them. But when I saw that Paranormal Pursuit was released today, I remembered doing the beta, and bought it right away without doing the free trial. I am not disappointed that I did.

This game is very cinematic and has a great Sci-Fi/Fantasy storyline that is very exciting. A social worker saves a child with supernatural powers that is in danger and they are on the run from evil people that want to kidnap and harm him. They face danger at nearly every corner and helping them get away from it is really fun.

I just played the game for about an hour and a half and decided to take a break from it and write this review since I like it so much and want to recommend it to other people. So far, I have not encountered very many puzzles or hidden object scenes, and it feels like more of an adventure game than a HOPA and I like that. Because I am not done with the game yet, I am not sure if that will change, but I am enjoying how the game is set up so far. It is not the most challenging game, but it is fun.The immersive story has especially drawn me in and I already feel attached to the two main characters and care about what happens to them. I look forward to playing more of the game and am glad that it was released today. If you like Sci-Fi/Fantasy games and are looking for something a bit different, I recommend that you try it.

ETA: Just finished the game and I really enjoyed it. I also found the ending to be very satisfying. I have not played the bonus game yet, but I did take a quick look at it and it seems like it is a good continuation of the story and it looks interesting. For those who wonder about how many hidden object scenes are in a game, this game did not have very many, which I prefer, and the ones it did have were finding silhouette shapes and had a lot of interactiveness so I thought they were pretty fun. There weren't a ton of puzzles either. As I said earlier in this review, the game seemed to be more like an adventure game than a HOPA when I first started playing it, and that turned out to be pretty true. If you are looking for a game with lots of puzzles and hidden objects, this one is probably not for you. But if you like games with an exciting and immersive Sci-Fi story, you should give it a try.

posted in 9 Clues: The Ward on Sep 17, 14 7:05 AM
Just finished the game. I would guess that I played for about 5 hours, but I am not the fastest player so some people might be able to finish it in 4 hours or less. It would be a good game to buy with the sale today or use a punch card credit if you think the length will be too short for you but still want to give it a try. I think it is worth trying. The story was different from other games and very engrossing. It kept me interested the whole time.

One more thing I wanted to mention is that there are a lot of hidden object scenes in the game. It may not seem like there are based on just playing the free trial, but the further you move along the more prevalent they become. If doing lots of hidden object scenes close together annoys you, then you might not like this game. I do not like doing lots of hidden object scenes close together, and I prefer doing lots of puzzles instead, but the fact that you could switch between finding hidden objects and playing mahjong made the fact that the game suddenly became hidden object heavy more tolerable for me.

posted in 9 Clues: The Ward on Sep 17, 14 3:11 AM
I really enjoyed the first game in this series, 9 Clues: The Secret of Serpent Creek. Although I recommend playing that game too, since it is really fun, it doesn't seem as if you need to have played Serpent Creek to enjoy The Ward since they take place in different settings. I am also a fan of the developer, and I bought The Ward without trying it first and I am not disappointed that I did. I am a couple of hours into the game and I think It is different. It's also been a while since I played a good mental asylum game, and I used to enjoy those kinds of games a lot until they were overdone. This one is different though, as far as I can tell there are no tortured spirits that you need to save, which became quite cliche in games with this setting.

In The Ward, you are a detective and with your partner you are investigating a murder mystery that happened at an asylum and are on the trail of a serial killer. There are weird things going on, but it is hard to tell if they are being caused by a human or a supernatural being. I stopped playing after a couple of hours to take a break, but I am intrigued about what will happen next and am glad I purchased the game. I got it for only $3.49 because of the sale today and I think it was a fair price for the game since it is well made. This developer always puts out high quality games, and that has to do with why I am a fan.

The story is unusual, and it also has some hidden object scenes that vary from other games since they involve looking for clues to help solve the mystery and are not just a list of objects (the first game in the series also has these kinds of hidden object scenes, which makes them unique to the series). The puzzles aren't too different from the norm thus far, nor are they too challenging, but I think they are fun. There is also an option to switch between doing a hidden object scene and playing mahjong and I like that since I think that doing too many hidden objects scenes in a game can get monotonous. Not sure about the length yet, since I haven't finished, but if it is on the short side this would be a good game to get as part of today's sale or with a punch card credit because it is fun and offers something that is different from the norm.

I hadn't realized there had been an earlier beta test than the one I participated in, so thanks for pointing that out. I also found the game to be disappointing. I enjoyed all of the earlier games in the series, but really struggled with finishing this one. It was really boring and pointless. I think that Dana Knightstone games have ran their course. The first two games in the series were excellent, and the two after that were good, but not as good as the first two games, and this most recent game set in Romania is a real step down in both quality and storyline. If they come out with any more games in this series I might give them a trial for curiosity's sake, but I will be pretty hesitant about buying them.

I know that Inspector Dupin from the Edgar Allan Poe games is considered a hunk by some players here and I have read comments having to do with him being lusted after, so you are not alone in finding a game character attractive. I also like Nicolae, the knight, better than Lucian, the count.. Lucian is too whiny and I get annoyed by all the hissy fits he has when he gets upset (it makes me want to slap him).Nicolae definitely would have made a better romantic lead.

How come it is out already? The Dana Knightstone games usually come out around Thanksgiving (in either November or early December), I am a fan of the series and look forward to their release each year. I don't understand why they rushed this game out earlier than normal this year, and why they didn't take more time to read beta tester feedback and make changes to it. Isn't the point of beta testing, to get consumer feedback so that devs know how to make their games better before they are released? If so, then this developer didn't need to do a beta test, since as far as I can tell, no changes were made between what I beta tested and what is in the final game which I purchased last night and have played about half of.

If they weren't going to make changes, then why waste my time asking me to fill out a survey? That is the part that makes me the most angry, that I put quite a bit of time and energy playing the beta trial and even took notes about what I thought needed to be improved, and then I took even more time writing those notes into the survey. I feel as if doing that was a complete waste and it makes me angry that this game developer asked for our feedback but didn't take the time to read all of it. I am going to think twice about participating in beta tests in the future since I do not appreciate having my time wasted.

posted in Panopticon: Path of Reflections on Aug 22, 14 6:26 AM
I thought the story of this game was very original and do not agree with other reviewers here that say that the story is same old, same old. I have been a member of Big Fish for 4 years now and have not played any other games that have a 19th century detective that has the power to go through portals which allows him to visit different dimensions while he looks for a missing magician and his assistant. If people said the story wasn't original enough, they probably did not play past the demo, because I have not played any other games that have a story exactly like this, Yes other games have carnival settings and the first portal leads to a carnival, but that was only one place that it is visited near the beginning, and there is a lot more to the game than what takes place at the carnival. The game is on the shorter side and the game play itself seems a bit old fashioned as compared to newer games, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the story is very original. If you are looking for a game that has a story that is very interesting and different from the norm, I recommend this to you.

posted in Patchworkz™ on Jun 27, 14 8:57 AM
The same thing happened to me. I thought it saved my progress when I exited after playing for a long time, but it did not, and I had to start all over the next time I played. The only thing it saved was my high score and achievements, the puzzles no longer had the stars I earned. I think it's a fun game but if it's going to make me replay the same levels over and over again and not save my progress, I probably won't play it again.

posted in Nancy Drew - Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon on Jun 12, 14 9:37 AM
Thank you so much, Julesy! I was also stuck at this part, and hadn't realized I could play the piano while John was in the room. I thought I could only do it while he was off the train and I missed the chance to play the piano when he was gone. I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't seen your post! I would probably have been stuck in the game for a while so I am very grateful to you for providing this help!

posted in Nancy Drew - Secret Of The Old Clock on Jun 10, 14 2:33 AM
Spoiler Alert...

I was stuck in the same part of the game and what other people wrote here was too vague to help me. I honestly thought there was a glitch in my game since nothing I did would get Emily to leave her room. You do need to find the clue behind Jane's podium, and you get her to leave by asking her to get a needle for you. Finding the picture might not help you figure out what to do next though. It shows some men inside the secret passageway. But if you already found the secret passageway you might think you already did everything you needed to do in there (i.e. Creepy Corner's puzzle, spying on Richard Topham). If you have done those things, there is still one more thing left to do, and that is to click on one of the lamps near where you enter from Lilac Inn, and it will cause another passageway to appear. Once you go through this passageway and see the secret behind it, Emily will finally leave. This was not explained to me in any of the walkthroughs I saw, which made me think I had a glitch, and I wanted to explain it here in case anyone else gets stuck in the same place that I was.

posted in Nancy Drew - Secret Of The Old Clock on Jun 10, 14 2:26 AM
I know you posted this a long time ago, Julesyhedgehog, and you might never see this reply to you, but I cannot thank you enough for what you posted here! I seriously thought there was a glitch in my game because nothing I did would get Emily to leave her room. Even looking at walkthroughs wasn't helping. If it hadn't been for you saying to go back to the secret passageway and click on the lamp, I might have given up on this game without finishing it. In general, I found the game to be more frustrating than fun because I kept getting stuck and I even gave up on playing it for a few days and thought about not finishing it. But thanks to your help, I finally was able to finish it.

posted in Cake Mania 2 on May 17, 14 3:43 AM
I know that Cheerful Dragon posted this many years ago, but I wanted to thank them for listing all of the routes in the game, it has been very helpful to me!

posted in Cake Mania 2 on May 17, 14 3:37 AM
The solution that Cheerful Dragon suggests did not work for me. I bought all of the upgrades in the game while playing other levels before going back and playing this level of Risha and I was not given extra money to spend. Instead it was like starting the game over, even though I had already earned trophies playing other levels.

This is how I made Superstar on April in the first Risha level with no bonus money or upgrades. After playing January, I bought a kitty topper, this is a smart choice since the granny obsessed with kitties is prevalent in February and March and she will always buy a cake with a kitty. After February, I bought the horseshoe topper and after March I bought a display stand.

At the beginning of April, when Cake Maniac dude is waiting, I know he is patient, so I will make a double layer cake with a horseshoe topper and put it on the display stand while he waits. The other character on this level, who I think is called the socialite, is not as patient, but she is more likely to order cakes with toppers. Serve her before Cake Maniac dude whenever you have a chance, so that you can get a bigger tip from her and not have her run out of patience. As soon as someone buys the double layer cake you have on display, make another one that is two layers and with the most expensive topper you have. It is not guaranteed that someone will buy the second double layer cake you make, especially if you make it close to the end of the level (and you might have to start over if it isn't bought since it causes you to lose profits), but if one of the characters does buy the second double layer cake you make, it is a lot easier to reach Superstar than it would be by only making single layer cakes throughout the level. I can't guarantee this will work for everyone but it worked for me.

posted in Delaware St. John - The Curse of Midnight Manor on May 17, 14 1:27 AM
The Big Fish Walkthrough is wrong. Here is what you need to do to get past it:
F 2X
R
F 3X
R
F 6X
See ghost standing at door
F 1X
To go into door, you need to click on the wall by it to get a R arrow to appear. Click on that arrow and then it will allow you to click to enter the door.

Ghost appears again with new set of directions.
F 5x
L
F 3X
L
F 3X
R
F 6x
Ghost will be at a door on the left this time. Go F 1X. Click on wall by door to get left arrow to appear. Click on arrow and then you have access to the door.

Ghost appears one more time with a new set of directions.
F 2X
L
F 3X
R
F 9X
R
F 3X
R
F 3X
L
F 6X
Ghost appears on the left again. Go F 1X. Click on wall by door to get left arrow to appear, click on that and then go through door. You will finally be out of this hellacious hallway.

These instructions worked for me, and hopefully they will work for anyone else who tries them.

posted in Delaware St. John - The Curse of Midnight Manor on May 17, 14 12:26 AM
I know this is way after the time this was originally posted about, but I also encountered that error message. Deleting and re-installing the game is what allowed me to continue on. Hope that helps anyone else that has gotten stuck at that part.

posted in Emerald City Confidential on Aug 7, 13 8:28 PM
Just finished the game and totally loved it. I am disappointed that it's over, especially since I know there is little chance that we will get a sequel since Playfirst has stopped making PC games and now seems to be focused on only making Dash games for mobile devices.

I especially loved that this game had strong female characters and that the noir detective was female, since film noir detectives are usually male. I love movies from the '30s and '40s and wish there were more games that had this kind of theme. The original poster here who is complaining about the negativity in the game doesn't seem to get the film noir genre. People who love those kinds of films, and like a game that has an edge, will enjoy this.

One down side though is that there is a lot of talking in the game. Some people don't like that in a game, and I have to admit that it did take me a little while to get used to the talking. You can skip it, but then you will miss out on gaining essential information. Once I got used to the talking, I really enjoyed the game, but some people still might not like it.

I was thinking the same thing about the ending sucking. It was very abrupt and unsatisfying. I think that people who buy this game as an SE are going to be especially disappointed with the end. Although it doesn't seem as if the CE bonus play adds much to the ending. I might be wrong about that though since I have yet to play the bonus. I just finished the main game, but I did check out what the bonus game was about, and it seems like a prequel story that is unrelated to the ending of the main game. Does anyone who has played the bonus think it makes the main game ending better, or is it unrelated to the main game ending like I have assumed?

posted in Dark Strokes: Sins of the Fathers Collector's Edition on Jan 12, 13 2:51 AM
I saw the fact that Ethan was Leonard's son coming from a mile away. I would have been more so surprised if he wasn't his son. And how come Leonard was too stupid to figure that out? His son's name was Ethan too and then all of a sudden the judge who pretended to be Ethan's father also has a son the same age as his supposedly dead son, that looks exactly like his son and with the same name, but he can't put two and two together that it's his own son. I guess that giving in to the forces of evil made him too stupid to be able to recognize his own child.

I haven't played the bonus game yet, and I know it's from Leonard's perspective so maybe that will explain better why he didn't realize the judge had his son. I was intrigued with the story for most of the game, but the implausibility of the ending kind of tainted it for me. Perhaps the bonus game ending will make it better.

ETA: Just finished the bonus game. It explains how Leonard became evil, but doesn't really explain why he was too stupid to figure out the judge had his son. My only guess is that the judge wasn't living in Leonard's town at the time, hence why Leonard didn't know he had Ethan, and moved there later once Ethan was grown, but I am still not entirely sure of that. The game had too many plot holes in the story and I am someone that story is important to in games, so plot holes can get in the way of my enjoyment.

posted in Dark Strokes: Sins of the Fathers Collector's Edition on Jan 12, 13 2:39 AM
Clair was a boring character, I was glad she was kidnapped early in the game so we didn't have to see a lot of her, and she did seem too vain, hence the mirror she is holding, but there is a female police officer in the game who seems to be a stronger female character. She doesn't have a very big part in the game though. It would have been nice if they had shown her more and had her be more of a help to Ethan. But, if we are going to be period specific to the 19th century, if that is when this game takes place, it is not very likely that a woman would be a police officer back then, or wearing pants like she does, and most women would be more likely to act like Clair, meaning wearing fancy dresses and only goal in life is to get married and start a family. And there are a lot of games out there with strong female characters, and this developer has made other games that have strong females in them, such as Forbidden Secrets: Alien Town, The Gift, and Eternal Journey: New Atlantis, so I don't think this dev would be sexist on purpose.

posted in Fear for Sale: Sunnyvale Story on Jan 8, 13 1:50 AM
I bought the game at DD price the other day and just finished it. The story intrigued me during the demo. The game seemed short for a game that was originally a CE, and did not seem to be as high quality as some other CE games are. I think that 2.99 was a fair price for it, and would not have wanted to pay much more than that. Because it is short, it pretty much turns into a hogfest in the middle to end of the game to make it seem longer. Since I do not enjoy doing lots of H0 scenes back to back, I did not enjoy this. Earlier in the game, especially during the demo, it makes it seem as if the game is more adventure than H0 scenes, since the H0 scenes are more spread out. This is deceiving. You should skip this game if you do not like doing tons of H0 scenes since there are a lot.

The story has quite a few holes in it, and requires some suspension of belief. If you can accept this as fiction, and ignore when things are factually incorrect, then you might still be able to enjoy it. The ending is rushed and does not feel complete, and that definitely took away from my enjoyment of the game. I also was able to guess whodunit quite a while before it was revealed so I didn't think the mystery was very hard to solve.

One of the things I did enjoy about the game was the puzzles. Most of them weren't that original, but despite that, I found them fun to play. It wasn't a bad game, I was able to finish it, and there are games I have given up on before if I didn't like them and/or was bored. Such was not the case here. I wouldn't say it was a boring game, but there was nothing really spectacular about it either. It was a nice enough way to pass the time, and I feel as if it was the right price. Other players might feel as if they are not getting their money's worth for $6.99, especially since the game is on the short side, and might want to use a credit on it, or wait until it is on sale for $2.99 again before they buy it.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator