Posts created by RainbowExplorer

posted in Otherworld: Omens of Summer Collector's Edition on Feb 7, 16 10:58 PM
I've been replaying this game, today, for the first time in a few years. The last time I played it was on my old Windows XP PC . Today, I've been going NUTS trying to get through a puzzle game that has NO SKIP BUTTON, yet is near the end of the game, so isn't something I want to start all over again, from the start. Besides, the game problem really isn't a matter of needing the game to be "reset".

Mostly, it's a problem with the Strategy Guide/Walkthrough, which was sloppily compiled, as are the on-screen instructions for this non-skippable puzzle (in the mirror world of a mean Pixie woman). In her trailer, the player is instructed to remove the picture on her wall, then fix the "power connections" in the on-screen grid. While clicking on the large orange button will give you some indications of what you're supposed to fix there, the bits of "guidance" provided, on screen, are only for the simplest, most intuitive tasks.

The most challenging tasks, like coming up with a four digit code based on the symbols found in a deck of cards, finding the key, or closing the open cupboard doors, aren't prompted, by any part of game data. In fact, the information relayed in the Strategy Guide is patently FALSE!!!! The Strategy Guide will tell/show you the correct code is: Spade, Heart, Club, Diamond. If you decide to believe that nonsense, plan to spend the rest of your life stuck at this unskippable part of the game. The CORRECT CODE is, actually: Diamond, Diamond, Heart, Spade.

You may struggle to retrieve the small key from beneath the vines in the upper right-hand corner of the grid, too, which is what I did & the Strategy Guide/Walkthrough instructs the player to do. However, that will be an equally unproductive action to take, as the key isn't anywhere near that portion of the puzzle. It's, actually, hidden inside the deck of cards password lock-box. You can watch the person who figured out the CORRECT process for handling this Boomzap poor quality control situation, via this You Tube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMSRZvi-pWE ****41:00 minutes into the game play****.

It was such a relief to determine that it was a Boomzap mess up, not one on my behalf (nor on the behalf of the many BFG game purchasers who have posted about it here). Thank goodness for You Tube! However, I'm frustrated by how flawed this game is still, more than 5 years after its release! Poor QA by BFG & Boomzap!

posted in Otherworld: Spring of Shadows Collector's Edition on Feb 7, 16 9:37 PM
After another 30 minutes of experimenting with the situation, I was able to find a solution for my dilemma. Ignore the dumbwaiter handle direction and just click in a backwards direction, regardless of where the handle is. Otherwise, the brick wall and gate will never open and you won't be able to access Fiora's bedroom for the various return tasks you'll need to accomplish there. It would have been helpful for the Strategy Guide and/or Walkthrough to have provided the directional information, so that we don't end up getting trapped inside the dumbwaiter.

posted in Otherworld: Spring of Shadows Collector's Edition on Feb 7, 16 3:23 PM
Hello,

I bought this CE and the other two (Summer and Fall) a few years ago. I'm replaying this one, today, on Windows 8.1, and am stuck in the Epilogue (Bonus Section), as the dumbwaiter won't return to Fiona's bedroom to allow me to get the lamp there. The dumbwaiter just keeps returning me to the ground level, no matter how many times I enter and move the level into the "up" position. The last time I played this game, it was on my old Window XP PC, and I had no problems successfully completing the game, then. I don't know if this change in Windows software is what has created this glitch in the game or if it's something else.

What I DO know is that finding an entire Forum completely locked down is suspicious, as I'm certain I'm not the only person still playing this game (most of us buy games so that we can play them repeatedly, long into the future) and having problems with it. For all I know, there could be new customers purchasing the game and finding the same challenges. There are so many different threads on this forum, discussing various development flaws, that I have no way of knowing if anyone else has encountered this particular one, or not. I do know that it's preventing me from being able to conclude this game in a timely fashion.

Have there been any revisions made to this game to permit it to work effectively on Windows 8.0, 8.1, and/or 10? Most PC game players are using those versions of Windows, these days, so having our games function on updated software is essential. I don't know if anyone will ever check on this forum or answer this question, but I'll leave it here, in case others are encountering similar challenges.

posted in Midnight Calling: Anabel Collector's Edition on Feb 5, 16 4:21 AM
During the Bonus Game, the bird familiar will not move until it has been fed prior to each separate task you want it to act on/retrieve. Food will become available, in the form of nuts, grains, seeds, and bread. After you've fed the bird, it will signal it's now ready to retrieve whatever you want.

As to the TECH PROBLEM I'm having, it centers around the third segment of the Mega-Puzzle (where five or six smaller puzzles are clustered in one spot, prior to allowing a major room/setting entrance), found in Chapter 2. When I played the Demo, I didn't have any problems clicking on the colored animal heads and making a lit line between each pair of them, without the paths crossing over each other. However, now that I've bought the game, nothing will move or light up, when I get to this portion of the Mega-Puzzle.

I've tried to get it to work, both when playing the Main Game and when playing it, later, in the Secret Room. In both situations, those red, green, and blue animal heads will not light up, nor will it allow me to make a path between the pairs of heads. I end up having to skip the puzzle, entirely, in order to get passed this one, small, dysfunctional area. I am playing on Windows 8.1 and, as I said, there were no problems getting the game to play this entire Mega-Puzzle correctly, during my Demo trial, so it has worked in the past, just refuses to do it now. All of the rest of the puzzles have worked just fine, throughout the entire game and Bonus Section.

What would make a small segment of a larger collection of puzzles (Mega-Puzzle) suddenly decide to freeze and not permit advancement on to the next small puzzle? It's frustrating to finally complete the first two mini-puzzles (the first of which is a real challenge), only to have the third puzzle (which is easy) block my progress and my ability to collect all of the achievements I'm capable of - as I'm forced to skip the remainder of the mini-puzzles, in order to move forward with the game. It would be wonderful if I could, somehow, skip just that little mini-puzzle, but that's not an option. Has anyone else had this problem?

posted in Nevertales: The Beauty Within Collector's Edition on Jan 24, 16 3:03 PM
Hello again!

Its seems I'm not the only person who has struggled through this Tic-tac-toe game, frustrated because there doesn't seem to be a "reset" bottom, nor could I fine a way to skip this puzzle. Both my CE Strategy Guide and the Walkthrough offered on BFG have an answer that doesn't work for me, despite exiting and restarting the game, several times. Here is the section which provides a wide range of solutions that other players have found useful to get them out of this technically treacherous and poorly guided area of this game. Hope one or more of the tricks listed here will come to your rescue, as well as, mine!

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/260416.page

posted in Nevertales: The Beauty Within Collector's Edition on Jan 24, 16 2:50 PM
The answer can be found in Chapter 2 of the walkthrough, here: http://www.bigfishgames.com/blog/walkthrough/nevertales-the-beauty-within-walkthrough/ . Unfortunately, I messed it the first time and, now, am having trouble progressing beyond this area. Best wishes to you!

posted in Rite of Passage: The Lost Tides Collector's Edition on Jul 11, 15 5:52 PM
Whatever "repairs" were supposedly done on this game are clearly ineffectual. Sure wish I would have read of all the major snafus (regarding this game) written about in this forum BEFORE I bought it. I, too, played the card game with the tavern card players (in the Bonus Section), having anted the diamond ring to join the game. However, there was/is no appearance of any seaplane keys (the ante provided by one of the other card players).

The conversational speech bubble, at that point, said I had won the seaplane keys yet they are no where to be found and I have no idea how to restart the Bonus Section, again. Clearly, this is a technical flaw that the developers have decided not to bother fixing! Now, I'm stuck at a place where I cannot progress any further in the Bonus Game and am very frustrated. Working with Customer Service to address such technical bugs inevitably takes months, if ever, to accomplish, since they never read or pay close attention to the data that is provided to them. It's just "robo e-mails" left to handle any and all situations.

posted in Rite of Passage: The Lost Tides Collector's Edition on Jul 11, 15 5:42 PM
I, too, played the card game with the tavern card players (in the Bonus Section), having anted the diamond ring to join the game. However, there was no appearance of any seaplane keys (the ante provided by one of the other card players). The conversational speech bubble, at that point, said I had won the seaplane keys yet they are no where to be found and I have no idea how to restart the Bonus Section, again. Clearly, this is a technical flaw that the developers have decided not to bother fixing! Now, I'm stuck at a place where I cannot progress any further in the Bonus Game and am very frustrated.

posted in Tales From The Dragon Mountain 2: The Lair on Mar 6, 15 2:46 PM
Hi!

This is a rather bizarre situation I find on this thread/forum. I came looking to see if there was a walkthrough available for this game I bought a month ago or so. Not only is there no walkthrough here, but I find every single discussion on this forum locked up tighter than a drum.

I don't visit the forums much anymore, since most of the games I buy months after they've been released and, usually, in the CE format (so the walkthrough is included). Since I own well over 200 games, I don't have much of a sense of need/desire to add to that collection, except with the very best of the new ones that come out. However, I know that there are still thousands of others who are very involved in tracking all of the new games, giving feedback to the developers, and helping each other sort out what is a technical glitch and what is a confusing/difficult aspect of game play.

I'm delighted that this is an adventure game, rather than a HOG. After years of hearing others complain about how many visual challenges many HOGs create with poor lighting and tiny objects, I now find my own eyes are reaching the age/stage where lots of intense visual searching strains them, making such activity not nearly as pleasurable as it once was. I prefer submerging myself in an adventure, provided the plot, setting, characters, and puzzles/activities are engaging and interesting. Thus far, this storyline seems to have a very slow pace and almost no tension points. The puzzles have all been meaningful, however.

Clearly, even months after the release, there are still unresolved technical glitches, as I encountered my first full screen message informing me of a technical alert (at the turn valve area in cave #6) and asking me whether I wanted to halt or press onward with the game or not (I told the game to continue). I've never had anything like that ever happen on any of my other 200+ BFG games and am playing on a new Windows 8.1 tower PC with plenty of power & finesse (which assures me this isn't an issue with my PC's capacity to deal with this software, as was often the case on my old Windows XP PC), so I grasp how extraordinarily odd the quality control has been on this particular project.

As such, I'm leaving this message in case another wandering soul comes across it and wonders what happened to this forum. You're not alone, fellow journeyer. I have no idea what happened here to shut everything down. There's still no walkthrough, so I'll check elsewhere online.

posted in Legacy Tales: Mercy of the Gallows Collector's Edition on Jun 27, 13 5:03 AM
I finally made it to the end where Isabelle's crypt shows the other half of the broken heart needs to be placed. What happens when I arrive there? That half-heart piece, which I have carried around through nearly the entire game has disappeared and the EMPTY image of the five pirate amulets (which I already used to unlock the cemetery gates) is the ONLY object left on display in my Contents Collected area.

Now, I'm on the verge of ending the game but can't do it since the final piece has gone AWOL! There's nothing that will retrieve this piece for me and I sure don't want to start the entire game over from the beginning! There's no way to move on to the Bonus Content, until I get past this section. From what I've read, it's pure luck if a person gets all the way through this game without some piece or other of it disappearing at random. What a poorly constructed game!

posted in Grim Tales: The Bride Collector's Edition on Jun 10, 13 5:02 PM
Hands down, this is the WORST CE I've EVER played! It has the most BORING plot (really NO plot to speak of!), not to mention a sickening overabundance of HOGS filled with tiny, dark images in ultra-crowded scenes (creating severe eye strain, regardless of one's usual visual acuity level). There are at least 50 - 60 HOGS, in this game, not to mention at least 30 different puzzles, many of which have poor instructions, so are nearly impossible to understand, let alone complete.

There's almost no music to speak of and the pace of the story is so incredibly slow (since you're stuck having to complete HOG after HOG after HOG, every 2 - 3 minutes, or so), that I was DESPERATE to have it come to an end! The fact that there are at least 50 different rooms or scenes, for one to have to keep walking back and forth between (without a map or "jumping device" included to simplify the process), added to the misery and tedium of the game. There is NOTHING "Adventurous" about this game.

This is TRULY a "GRIM" affair, quite unusual for the Elephant Team to have royally BOMBED on. Grade "D".

posted in Grim Tales: The Bride Collector's Edition on Jun 10, 13 4:59 PM
The Bonus Content Shows the bride and groom driving off after finally having gotten married. The old family mansion is sold and a new family moves into it. However, it's still haunted by evil and tons of locks. How you end up back in the house, exploring the place where a new family is living isn't explained.

Hands down, this is the WORST CE I've EVER played! The most BORING plot (really NO plot to speak of!), not to mention a sickening overabundance of HOGS filled with tiny, dark images in ultra-crowded scenes (creating severe eye strain, regardless of one's usual visual acuity level). There are at least 50 - 60 HOGS, in this game, not to mention at least 30 different puzzles, many of whom have poor instructions, so are nearly impossible to understand, let alone complete.

There's almost no music to speak of and the pace of the story is so incredibly slow (since you're stuck having to complete HOG after HOG after HOG, every 2 - 3 minutes, or so), that I was DESPERATE to have it come to an end! The fact that there are at least 50 different rooms or scenes, for one to have to keep walking back and forth between (without a map or "jumping device" included to simplify the process), added to the misery and tedium of the game. This is TRULY a "GRIM" affair, quite unusual for the Elephant Team to have royally BOMBED on.

posted in Treasure Masters on Mar 16, 13 6:16 AM
I am having exactly the same problem and have done all of the same things as you described, in an attempted to surmount it. I've clicked and clicked all around the area where my hint button indicates the last shell should be - inside the cave, to the right central area of the sarcophagus. However, nothing is working. Until I get that final shell, I won't be able to get the key, which will keep me from being able to access the puzzle inside the captain's chambers (inside the ship). I'm going to contact Customer Service as there's clearly something wrong with this section of the game - a glitch that has never been fixed, though this game has been sold for 5 years.

posted in Death Pages: Ghost Library on Feb 27, 13 6:20 PM
I was able to access, move, and use three or four different items. However, when it came to the HOS at the fountain (in front of the library), the cursor would not pick up a single item, those the cursor did change shape to indicate that I had located one of the HOG items. There was nothing I could do to get this section of the game to work correctly. As such, I've ended the game and won't be purchasing it.

posted in Awakening: The Skyward Castle Collector's Edition on Aug 31, 12 9:06 PM
RainbowExplorer wrote:I contacted Boomzap directly about having lost the piece of paper, along with the charcoal "pen" underneath the barrel of ashes, in the Sky Castle entrance hall HOG. The following is their e-mail response to me:

<a href=http://forums.bigfishgames.com/faqs/list.page>[Removed by Moderator]</a>

If the piece of paper has gotten stuck under the barrel (hidden by the interface), it should still be possible to retrieve it. Click around slowly under the interface (avoiding the ‘exit’ cursor hotspots) until you hear the sound of the paper being picked up (a sort of dry-paper rasp) – the paper should attach to the mouse. You can then drag it out from underneath the interface.

<a href=http://forums.bigfishgames.com/faqs/list.page>[Removed by Moderator]</a>

So, this means that the Boomzap staff ARE AWARE of this glitch and, perhaps, others. I've spent hours trying to retrieve both the charcoal "pen" and the piece of paper. I was successful with the pen but not the paper. Thus, I cannot go forward with the game, until such time as they get this "glitch" fixed. I have no idea how long that will take.

Thought you all might want to know. I LOVED the first two Awakening games but was never able to get either version of The Goblin Kingdom to play on my computer. Needless to say, I was THRILLED that The Skyward Castle played readily for me. However, I too have had numerous episodes of having to click all over the place, in order to get a single HOG object to move in any direction, or go where I wanted it to go.

From what I can see, they skimped on the artwork & appear to have devoted more of their energies, this time around, to creating more innovative (though, to me, less interesting) minigames & more varied settings. This one doesn't seem as polished in its artwork, as the first two were. Sophia's personality/character seems bland, this time around, like she's going through the motions - is robotic in her interactions with other characters - thus weakening the storyline. The storyline & characters seemed more carefully thought out, within the first two games in this series. I haven't taken the time yet to see how many original developers from those two games were involved in the making of this one.

*****As I posted above, there ARE Boomzap Developer-created glitches with this game that they intend to fix, at some point into the future.********

posted in Awakening: The Skyward Castle Collector's Edition on Aug 29, 12 3:09 PM
I contacted Boomzap directly about having lost the piece of paper, along with the charcoal "pen" underneath the barrel of ashes, in the Sky Castle entrance hall HOG. The following is their e-mail response to me:

[Removed by Moderator]

If the piece of paper has gotten stuck under the barrel (hidden by the interface), it should still be possible to retrieve it. Click around slowly under the interface (avoiding the ‘exit’ cursor hotspots) until you hear the sound of the paper being picked up (a sort of dry-paper rasp) – the paper should attach to the mouse. You can then drag it out from underneath the interface.

[Removed by Moderator]

So, this means that the Boomzap staff ARE AWARE of this glitch and, perhaps, others. I've spent hours trying to retrieve both the charcoal "pen" and the piece of paper. I was successful with the pen but not the paper. Thus, I cannot go forward with the game, until such time as they get this "glitch" fixed. I have no idea how long that will take.

Thought you all might want to know. I LOVED the first two Awakening games but was never able to get either version of The Goblin Kingdom to play on my computer. Needless to say, I was THRILLED that The Skyward Castle played readily for me. However, I too have had numerous episodes of having to click all over the place, in order to get a single HOG object to move in any direction, or go where I wanted it to go.

From what I can see, they skimped on the artwork & appear to have devoted more of their energies, this time around, to creating more innovative (though, to me, less interesting) minigames & more varied settings. This one doesn't seem as polished in its artwork, as the first two were. Sophia's personality/character seems bland, this time around, like she's going through the motions - is robotic in her interactions with other characters - thus weakening the storyline. The storyline & characters seemed more carefully thought out, within the first two games in this series. I haven't taken the time yet to see how many original developers from those two games were involved in the making of this one.

posted in Awakening: The Skyward Castle Collector's Edition on Aug 29, 12 3:08 PM
I contacted Boomzap directly about having lost the piece of paper, along with the charcoal "pen" underneath the bag of ashes, in the entrance hall HOG. The following is what they put in their e-mail response to me:

I’m Ran, the lead designer for The Skyward Castle. I’ve received your email, and here’s what can be done:

We’ve found the cause of this particular bug and will be fixing this particular issue very soon. Thank you for purchasing The Skyward Castle, and for your love and patience! Please let us know if this has solved your conundrum.

Cheers,
Ran and the Awakening team.

posted in Awakening: The Goblin Kingdom Collector's Edition on Nov 24, 11 5:45 AM
Though I posted about this issue many weeks ago, I believe I have THE ANSWER to the mysteries behind why so many of us are NOT able to play this Awakening Game, in either the CE or the SE version. It is because we each have Nvidia Video Cards in our computers.

As I wrote about here, previously, I couldn't get this game to play, in either CE or SE version, despite owning, loving, and repeatedly playing BOTH of the earlier Awakenings games. Just recently, I upgraded to a newer computer (though still a used one) and had more memory and a new Nvidia Video Card placed in it. Neither game will play any differently for me now, than it did previously. I sent a Dr. Felix report to the Customer Service team, here at BFG, on November 4th. I STILL have not heard ANYTHING BACK from them!

However, I DID receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey in my e-mail. As a BFG member, I promptly told them how infuriated I was, about this situation. One of the "Live Chat" CS technicians, who tried to help me WEEKS ago with this issue (on my old computer), hinted that the problem was my Nvidia video card. By that point, I'd ALREADY bought the new Nvidia video card, for upgrading my newer machine and it was too late to return it.

So, despite some snarky remarks, made by some of the MANY CS techs I have spoken with, in recent months, (about my computer not being technologically "CURRENT"), the AGE of my computer had NOTHING to do with it! So, ladies and gentlemen, if you have a Nvidia Video Card, BFG and BoomZap have apparently decided that you and I are not "worthy" of their attention or MONEY!

Fascinating how one BRAND of video card is looked down upon, in such a snobbish fashion! The BFG CS staff have so little regard for all of us, they don't even bother to respond to my CS e-mails anymore! It isn't because I'm rude, offensive, and/or crude with my language, either! It's because they KNOW I'm correct about their "snobbery", "indifference", and awareness of their technological injustice, IMHO.

Rainbow

posted in Awakening: The Goblin Kingdom on Nov 24, 11 5:42 AM
addictedtofish wrote:Same problem for me (as above) - playing on a PC. This also happened with the Collector's edition except it didn't even get to loading page just the Big Fish page and then black screen. Been hoping for it to get fixed and was delighted to see SF as I love this series - hopes dashed. Have asked BF for help - will let you know if I get it.

Though I posted about this issue many weeks ago, I believe I have THE ANSWER to the mysteries behind why so many of us are NOT able to play this Awakening Game, in either the CE or the SE version. It is because we each have Nvidia Video Cards in our computers.

As I wrote about here, previously, I couldn't get this game to play, in either CE or SE version, despite owning, loving, and repeatedly playing BOTH of the earlier Awakenings games. Just recently, I upgraded to a newer computer (though still a used one) and had more memory and a new Nvidia Video Card placed in it. Neither game will play any differently for me now, than it did previously. I sent a Dr. Felix report to the Customer Service team, here at BFG, on November 4th. I STILL have not heard ANYTHING BACK from them!

However, I DID receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey in my e-mail. As a BFG member, I promptly told them how infuriated I was, about this situation. One of the "Live Chat" CS technicians, who tried to help me WEEKS ago with this issue (on my old computer), hinted that the problem was my Nvidia video card. By that point, I'd ALREADY bought the new Nvidia video card, for upgrading my newer machine and it was too late to return it.

So, despite some snarky remarks, made by some of the MANY CS techs I have spoken with, in recent months, (about my computer not being technologically "CURRENT"), the AGE of my computer had NOTHING to do with it! So, ladies and gentlemen, if you have a Nvidia Video Card, BFG and BoomZap have apparently decided that you and I are not "worthy" of their attention or MONEY!

Fascinating how one BRAND of video card is looked down upon, in such a snobbish fashion! The BFG CS staff have so little regard for all of us, they don't even bother to respond to my CS e-mails anymore! It isn't because I'm rude, offensive, and/or crude with my language, either! It's because they KNOW I'm correct about their "snobbery", "indifference", and awareness of their technological injustice, IMHO.

posted in Oddly Enough: Pied Piper on Oct 5, 11 7:17 AM
I've finished my full hour demo trial & will definitely be purchasing this quirky, whimsical, creative, clever, beautiful game. It's not intended to tax every brain cell in one's head, I don't believe, but it's original enough & warm-hearted enough, that it fits my definition of a truly FUN game! If you have enjoyed the Snark Busters two games, or The Fool, or The Tiny Bang Story - this game is along the same lines, though less cognitively taxing, at least for me. The Dr. Seuss books would fit into this type of quirky, whimsical type of fun adventure, as well. The morality tale part of it (especially with the intense greed run amok in the USA) is a big source of attraction for me, as well.

Apparently, I'm one of the few people who LOVES FROGs & would prefer them ANY DAY, over traditional HOGs. I hate hunting & pecking for items that I'm not going to use in the game, & that are often not related to the game, in any manner (including the time era or culture the story is placed in). With FROGs, the gamer is always looking for practical items that will ALWAYS be used in the game (so I'm not just wasting my time, looking through endless, meaningless junk).

The shadowed FROGs are just a more interesting twist on the FROG notion, making it a bit more challenging but not tremendously so. Comparing & contrasting shapes, sizes, & other aspects of game components, is a higher-order thinking skill, which is something I seek out, even more now that I'm well into middle age. Just a bit too much history of Alzheimer's Disease in MY family, so I'm eager to do what I can, to keep my brain working well.

Unlike many games that will have one endlessly fetching & carrying from one place to another long-distance place (wasting tons of time & energy), all of the "to and fro" in this game is done in small areas containing 5 - 6 buildings/areas, very close to each other. The developers COULD HAVE chosen to extend the playing time, by forcing us to constantly fetch/carry through longer distances, but they didn't choose to do that.

I, for one, am grateful for their decision. I HATE wasting time & energy making excessive clicks, simply to drag out the length of the game, not to add anything worthwhile or interesting, to it. Thus, I am not a bit concerned about the length of the game. To me, it's the quality, not the quantity of a game that I value.

So this "odd" person is off to buy this "odd" game & have herself some FUN!

Rainbow

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator