Posts created by GeorgeTSLC

posted in Farm Frenzy on Sep 22, 09 9:41 PM
I need to apologize further; vionavaus DID mention the cat.

(Muttering to self: I know I wasn't drunk, I don't think I was all that tired--what's wrong with me, anyway?)

posted in Farm Frenzy on Sep 22, 09 9:30 PM
The excellent vianovaus's walkthrough for level 23 on this forum advises expanding your storage first thing, and is absolutely correct. I don't think the level is doable otherwise.

I don't know if the game automatically offers it, but even if not the Shop will sell you a first expansion of your vehicle (technically from "car" to "truck"), so that it can carry 3 boxes at a time. Spending 300 gold pieces on that upgrade as soon as you have it also helped me on this level.

Whenever there was room on the truck, I sold any raw wool available, rather than waiting for it to be spun, thus clearing space to get yet more wool into storage. Note: On this level that's what counts, NOT the number of spools.

The walkthrough also advises that after you get going, "you can just cage the bears that fall without having to sell them". Frankly, at any level, I have great difficulty fully caging bears without also getting them into storage--unless storage is already full. Sometimes I'd like just one, but when they're all in a crowd, apparently it's click one, click all, and as many as will fit get transferred. And then I may have to sit and watch as product--say, wool--evaporates while waiting for the truck to get back from town.

After I had a few sheep, maybe 5, I hired a cat for 2500 gp (the price of 2.5 sheep) to find and bat the wool sacks in for me. By then I had quite enough to do attending to everything else--including making room in storage for more sacks to be batted in--and of course it got worse as I added even more sheep. I don't think I could have come in under the gold time without the cat.

posted in Farm Frenzy on Sep 20, 09 10:32 AM
There are two problems with the preceding post.

One, it describes Level 8--although I was QUITE certain I was getting it at the position for Level 15, this may have been a glitch or even a bug. It isn't, in any case, happening now. (And although I got the amount wrong--it's indeed $20--I do think that vionavaus might have mentioned the cat.)

Two, the solution as usual is correct in the walkthrough: Buy only one duck at first, Its eggs will be enough, soon enough. And with the cupcakes available sooner, there's enough gold soon enough to make the gold-level time. Barely, but that's sort of the point, no?

posted in Farm Frenzy on Sep 19, 09 9:34 PM
What I get with the seventh button from the left on the top row is not as described in vionavaus's excellent Walkthrough.

I start out with $0, a sheep, and a cat. The goal is two cupcakes. There is NO spinnery.

The obvious first move, therefore, is to sell the sheep for $500 and use the money to buy ducks and start up the egg-solids processor. If you send off the sheep in the first few seconds, the car is back just in time to immediately turn around and take one of the first 2 bears that show up so that there's room to stow the other. However, I first buy 3 ducks; there's time to do the bear's impatience breaks his cage. (I also plant grass while the cat prowls around by himself, but I doubt that saves VERY much time.)

Anyway: No problem getting silver, but I can't seem to get enough coins together fast enough to make the gold time. Too bad I can't store two bears at a time!

posted in Farm Frenzy on Sep 19, 09 8:40 PM
From what I've read somewhere else, the trick is to have a cat, who tosses stuff into the warehouse for you.

posted in World of Zellians: Kingdom Builder ™ on Sep 19, 09 10:57 AM
When you bring up the main map, clicking the star for any level you've already played (including the bonus level, if you beat it) brings up a "Visit" button instead of the "Play" button. This lets you inspect any village--"city" indeed!--that you've already played, at the point where you achieved all the goals.

At first you have just the old men pulling their wheelbarrows backwards. But if you wait a few moments, a variety of people will come out of the houses and start moving around. Makes for a unique screensaver.

It's too bad the option doesn't remind you what your objectives for the level were, though.

posted in World of Zellians: Kingdom Builder ™ on Sep 19, 09 10:48 AM
The timed bonus levels are not immediately obvious. To get to one, you choose Play. Then on the map, click the multicolored star on a kingdom you've otherwise finished.

Drawback: Apparently once you've succeed in a bonus round, it is no longer available. Anyone who insists on besting his or her shortest personal time will have to replay using a different profile.

posted in World of Zellians: Kingdom Builder ™ on Sep 19, 09 10:30 AM
In case anyone who's reading this is still considering whether they want to get the game: You don't lose anything but time by demolishing a building. ALL the gold pieces and materials that you spent are credited back to you.

posted in Farm Frenzy on Sep 18, 09 8:18 AM
As becomes fairly obvious, when a goal requires a number of products--eggs, dried egg packets, whatever--you need to produce that many during the level. You don't need to have them on hand. Which makes sense; you couldn't store them all!

And similarly, I discovered from reading the walkthrough on this forum, you can reach the required number of gold coins at any time during the level. You do NOT have to end with that number as I assumed. Makes quite a difference to your strategy, no?

Incidentally, if you go back to a level that you've won a gold on and don't go fast enough to win it again, the gold is replaced with the silver icon.

posted in Be Richer on Sep 17, 09 9:58 PM
At least one of the employees is good at preventing deterioration of one's roads. And in a middle-level scenario, we're told that highways (effectively, double-wide roads) don't deteriorate like the ordinary ones.

OH-kay. I haven't hired that guy, and I still never have my roads deteriorate. At what level does this become a consideration--if ever?

Because at this point, I'm strongly reminded of the anti-elephant dust? (YOU know: "I've never seen an elephant anywhere near our house." "Well, you see how effective sprinkling my dust has been!")

posted in Build-a-Lot 4: Power Source on Sep 17, 09 8:34 AM
I have sent this to HipSoft support three times (most recently today), in the perhaps too charitable belief that maybe they just didn't get the first two sendings. If I hear back, I'll let y'all know.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can imagine two possible reasons why you allow clearly impossible Completion Times, such as 0 minutes 3 seconds, to stand for the Casual scenarios' High Scores in your Build-a-Lot series.

1. They didn't appear until the games were on the market for a while and no one at HipSoft has ever noticed the problem in any of the 4 editions.

2. You have noticed the problem but dithered about where to set the cut for unrealistic times, and therefore did nothing.

Frankly, neither of those strikes me as a good reason. And if it was #1, I've just exploded it. [NOTE: This applies only if HipSoft actually reads the email.]

If it was #2, I propose either of two solutions:

A ) Clear the databases and start over with ones that won't accept hacks.

B ) If it's impossible or unfeasible to make the databases hack-proof, then post the actual best times (and other data) from each of your employee players for all scenarios (updating them when improved) along with an apologetic note that no faster times can be posted because of continuing hacker activity--which would at least give us honest players something to shoot for and to brag to our friends about if we bettered your staff whizz-kids by a few seconds or more.

Times ranging from 1 to 32 seconds are precisely as useful for targets as a blank page would be, but a lot more annoying.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments from other fish here welcomed, particularly on the feasibility of my proposals A and B.

posted in Build-a-Lot 4: Power Source on Sep 17, 09 8:26 AM
I ran into an interesting bug. I'm almost certain it works as described here, but HipSoft still hasn't responded to my support request asking about it.

If a shop has its Help Wanted sign up when you go into a blackout, then when you come out of the blackout the shop will no longer earn revenue. Yep, just sits there with no sign and no money coming in.

I'm not sure what level I was on where this came repeatedly into play, but I know I didn't particularly want to have to peel off a worker right at blackout time. I suppose I was either expecting to have a Business Center soon, or else I already had it and was just about to build a new Power Source. In any case, that stubbornness led to a situation where the only effective move was demolishing and rebuilding a shop .. . not an optimal strategy, of course.

posted in Build-a-Lot 4: Power Source on Sep 17, 09 7:41 AM
For the sake of anyone doing a search, the name correctly spelled is
Monopoly Build-a-Lot Edition

GameHouse also has it.

Unfortunately, GameHouse and I are still trying to make their Installer work for me.

posted in Hotel Mogul on Sep 9, 09 8:09 PM
The oddity is that the Memorial affects all three columns all the way up and down no matter where you place it. It is NOT just the 8 lots around the Memorial.

So yes, you put it in the bottom row.

posted in Be a King on Sep 6, 09 10:11 PM
Oh, and another tip.

Trader Houses: At some levels, Trader Houses are not a goal but are part of the required solution. They provide even more income, tho fewer people, than Royal Town Houses do.

posted in Be a King on Sep 6, 09 10:08 PM
And now I've got a question.

What does the 10% population bonus on an Inn, 20% on an Advanced Inn, mean?

It doesn't increase the total capacity of the town by 10% or 20%. The increase is always just the 8 or 12 people in the Inn itself, whether the Inn is built after a dozen Royal Town Houses or before any other dwellings at all.

Is it that the influx of people per turn becomes 10% or 20% greater than it otherwise would be? Theoretically, that might be measurable, but the influx looks so unpredictable that I'm unwilling to try.

Could Big Fish perhaps contact the developers and ask? Or is this the answer already known to somebody reading this, who will be kind enough to answer?

posted in Be a King on Sep 6, 09 9:55 PM
I disagree partly, bfgBering.

Barracks: Check the level's population goal. Build just enough to give that number of potential citizens the needed feeling of security, or provide the last few people toward the goal. Otherwise, depend on Mage Towers for defense.

Especially when monsters come in heavy waves, 2 unimproved Barracks (20+20 Attack) are more powerful than 1 Advanced Barracks (30) or even 1 Royal Barracks (40), because it takes two occupying monsters to take out all your firepower. Of course how many citizens FEEL protected by two plain Barracks (40+40) is equal to only 1 Advanced Barracks (80), or something over half of a Royal Barracks (140), which matters for population goals.

Heroes: Your statement applies better on the later levels, but then it can apply quite strongly. Notice, as I've posted elsewhere on this board, that a Hero can always take out a Robber without dying. If you've had both the defensive and offensive upgrades from the scrolls, he can take out a Troll. (I'm not yet sure of the case with only offensive or only defensive upgrades.) But I believe a Dark Knight, unless already weakened by artillery fire from the Barracks and Mage Tower(s), is always too much for a Hero.

On the other hand, especially if you've been provided a dozen Heroes at the beginning of the level, or have acquired several from a tourney event, it may be worth using up one Hero on a Dark Knight and sending a second Hero in for the kill--particularly if the DK is keeping a Barracks or Tower from firing!

Dwellings: You get more population per materials unit by building plain dwellings than by upgrading, but upgrading does give you more income per unit.

A plain House costs 250 Wood, contains max. 10 people @ 3 gp/person. An Advanced house has a total cost of 450 wood, gives you max. 14 people @ 4gp/person. A Royal House costs 800 wood for max. 16 people @5gp. (Unsurprisingly perhaps, people who live in nicer houses have higher per capita incomes . . . or taxes, if that's what the game is simulating.) You pay respectively 15, 12.4, and 10 wood per gold piece of income, but 30, 32.1, and 50 wood per citizen. Similarly for Town Houses.

Buildings in General: As noted in other threads on this forum, the solution to several puzzles is to Demolish all or most of the existing buildings and use the gold to buy workers, wood, and stone, which you then spend on defense, food, and dwellings with more people and/or more income.

posted in Be a King on Sep 6, 09 7:14 PM
I don't understand exactly what your problem is, but I don't think it's a bug as much as bad tutorial design. If you do PRECISELY what the tutorial is telling you to do, you can get through those levels quite nicely. If you try to do anything slightly different, that's likely to mess things up.

posted in Be a King on Sep 6, 09 7:12 PM
See the other thread with the identical subject line.

posted in Be a King on Sep 6, 09 7:10 PM
Sending your knights out to fight is not a losing game IF you pick your battles. Even if you haven't gotten any of the scrolls that upgrade your attack and defense, one Hero will always beat one Robber, although he loses to a Troll unless the barracks and mage towers focus their artillery to help him in time.

After you've gotten either of the upgrades (I think) and certainly if you've gotten both, a Hero can beat a Troll.

I don't believe he can beat a Dark Knight, but if one has already been weakened by artillery, a hero can finish things sooner--though this is rarely useful unless the Dark Knight is impeding a barracks or tower!

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator