Posts created by sinshack

posted in Abandoned: Chestnut Lodge Asylum on Apr 28, 12 12:50 AM
I played for about 35 minutes, then I quit so I could buy it. If you like dark and dreary, this game's a good one to try. If you are looking for bright and cheerful, this won't be what you are looking for.

Abandoned has the feel of a CE game for an SE price, and for me it's the perfect way to use up a punch card credit and fill another card this month.

It plays widescreen, and there is a stretch feature in the Options if you still get black bars on the sides of the screen. There is a Casual and Expert mode (or whatever they call it) as well as the usual options for music and effects volume, custom curser, etc.

The only thing I didn't like was that the graphics are - naturally - dark and dreary, and some of the objects in the hidden object scenes blend in too well. Others are pretty small, so I had to use at least one hint on every scene I encountered.

On the plus side, the HO scenes are interactive, with one or more items requiring you to combine objects. Some of the combinations might make you smile, others are a bit different that what you will be expecting so you need to think a bit out of the box. For a dark and dreary game, you can see some underlying humor by the developers.

Overall, this is a good game to try before you buy. Some will love it, some will hate it. For me, it's a buy.

posted in Behind the Reflection 2: Witch's Revenge on Apr 25, 12 6:42 PM
Thank you, Burf90!! That was driving me crazy - I even shut down the game and restarted, then came here to the forums to figure out what I was doing wrong! When I clicked on the hint button, it just kept pointing to the empty slot in the inventory, so I thought it had vanished!

posted in Runaway With The Circus on Apr 24, 12 4:21 AM
I almost missed this game! I like having a simple HOG in my Game Manager, one that I can play when I really don't want to get involved in a story and remembering what goes where.

This is a nice, relaxing plain HOG. The graphics fit the time period, but I'm having a heck of a time finding the 2nd heart in one of the scenes - and I'm determined to find the darned thing!

You do need good eyesight to find the objects, and I wouldn't recommend playing it on a small screen, but give it a try and see if you find it as charming as I do!

posted in Criminal Minds on Apr 22, 12 5:52 PM
If you had read the forums or done the free trial, you would have known it was "just" two chapters. And since the first crime took me over 3 hours to solve, and I've been solving the 2nd crime for over 2 hours so far, I don't feel shorted in the least.

ETA: It's possible whatever website you were reading was counting dead bodies, not cases, in which case there were 5 horrible crimes.

Next time, BEFORE you buy, always read what BFG says about the game, read the forums, and if there is a Blog Walkthrough (as there is for this game) take a quick peek to check the number of chapters. And always, even if you know you are going to buy the game, do the free trial first to make sure it plays on your computer and is the game you think it is.

posted in Criminal Minds on Apr 21, 12 5:19 AM
I like it - give it a free try and make up your own mind.

It's not shiny and polished like we've come to expect from CE's, but the puzzles are interesting and the hidden object scenes are unique - I love the scrambled clues in the lists. I also like the fact that you have to visit several locations, talk to people to get new tasks, and collect inventory.

The hint system is almost like a strategy guide or walkthrough. When you aren't in an HO scene and click on the Hint button, it gives you a list of tasks. If you click on a specific task you then get a detailed list of how to complete that task. That part was very well done.

The black bars on the sides of most screens will be a deal-killer for some, and they are pretty annoying to me, but I can look past that for the good storylines. I don't watch the show myself (and I probably should, since I love similar shows like CSI and Bones) but that doesn't stop me from loving a good murder mystery.

BTW, the bad cut-and-paste graphics that were mentioned by another fishie, specificly the halos around the characters, are actually just the "sun" shining on the characters. If you notice the halo is only on one side of the characters, and always on the side of the closest light source. They were a bit overdone as highlights (too bright, which make them look like halos) but not bad.

This game won't be for everybody, but you should at least give it a try for at least 30 minutes. I just popped out of the game so I can purchase it, then I'll be going right back into playing!

posted in Hidden Mysteries®: Return to Titanic on Apr 15, 12 4:21 AM
I know it seems frivilous to enjoy this game on the 100th anniversary of such a tragedy, but I really am enjoying the game. Clear graphics, very interesting story line, and I got quite far before I started wondering if there was a walkthrough available (there is.) For those who like HOPAs but hate the HO parts, I've only run into 2 hidden object scenes in the hour or so that I've played.

I purchased it right away, something I rarely do but I was encouraged by the reviews that were already posted here. I am not disappointed.

posted in Rita James and the Race to Shangri La on Mar 29, 12 3:08 AM
Gjnashif, the 5-minute reviews are also a pet peeve of mine, especially those who elaborate by saying the story "just didn't grab them." I don't mind as long as they specify in their reviews that they only played a short time, but I do think that those "reviews" really belong in the comments thread, not the review thread. At least I know to ignore them if they haven't played a substantial portion of the demo.

I also agree with mamajay that even those reviews are a vast improvement over the "This is the worst game ever - do not buy it!" ones that were so common in the past. First, unless you've played that Oz game from a few years ago you have no idea how bad "the worst game ever" can really be, and second I really don't like being ordered not to buy or even try a game (some would get quite vehement that you shouldn't even download it to try it.) Luckily, we have far fewer of those comments any more.

posted in Phenomenon: City of Cyan on Mar 25, 12 3:20 AM
It's not a CE as far as I can tell - what makes you think that it is? The strategy guide? It's possible this was one of the games that was intended to be released as a Deluxe.

The Deluxe games were introduced a couple of months ago, but a significant number of gamers made it very clear that they were willing to purchase them at the SE price while the introductory period lasted, they would not purchase them at an increased price after that. The "introductory period" lasted for just one game, then no more Deluxe games ever showed up.

posted in Sweet Lily Dreams: Chapter 1 on Mar 23, 12 1:07 AM
What upsets me about it is when another game was released in parts, Syberia Part 1, the explanation was that it opens up the Large File genre to those who don't have the capacity for a LF game. In this case, the Part 1 is almost the same size as the whole game, so that excuse just flew straight out the window. Amerzone is Parts 1, 2 and 3. I agree that a true clarification concerning the number of parts is necessary at the time of the release of the first part. I realize that BFG can only release the games in the same format as they are given to them by the developers, but Syberia was originally given to BFG whole, sold as a $6.99 whole game, then the whole game vanished to be released in pieces. I'm not sure if Sweet Lily Dreams has ever been released on BFG.

Edited to change wording, since bfgRhone posted while I was writing my post.

posted in Living Legends: Ice Rose Collector's Edition on Mar 22, 12 5:24 AM
I miss the voiceovers - I do really expect them in a CE game, and those that don't like them can always shut off the sound. Other than that, however, it's a great game that I really enjoy, and I will be buying it asap.

posted in Sweet Lily Dreams: Chapter 1 on Mar 22, 12 4:29 AM
I started to give this game a try, because I do like some Adventure games, but I don't care for the "looking down from above" perspective. And I really don't care for paying even membership price for half of a game that can be purchased whole from other sites.

Try it if you want to, but it's not my cup of tea.

posted in Aaron Crane: Paintings Come Alive on Mar 17, 12 3:32 AM
I really enjoyed the game, but like Trinn T at the end of the demo I was almost done with chapter 5, and there are only 6 chapters. I'm not that fast, and I did check the walkthrough once at the beginning until I figured out what I needed to do to find the 3rd key for the first puzzle, so a fast player that is really good at Adventure games could probably complete it within the demo time.

I wasn't that enthralled with the game to want to pay full price or use a punch card just to find out what happens in the final chapter. It was very good, but too short for my taste.

posted in Mystery Agency: Visions of Time on Mar 12, 12 4:59 AM
What a nice game! It's not a full HOPA, more like a HOPA-light, but it's a nice game for an SE and I'll be buying it. I played the full demo, and was surprised when it ended.

It does have a lot of HO scenes, but then it IS a HOG. It has adventure aspects in the fact that you can select a varity of actions or places to visit, you collect inventory, and there is a story. The story will not hit you in the face in the first 10 minutes, so give it a good try.

The things I do like are the variety (regular HO scenes as well as at least one FROG in the hour I played) and the interesting puzzles. The lockpicking puzzle had two steps, for example, rather than the usual one step. The graphics are very good and not too dark so far, and I haven't seen any vampires, werewolves, or zombies. I also like the interactive map that you can use to see areas that have something to do and (joy!!) jump directly to that location.

The things I don't like are the lack of voice-overs and the "paper doll" quality, with people sliding in and out so you can have conversations with them. On the Hidden Object lists I'd rather they had used a smaller font and fit all the items to find on a single list rather than having to scroll to get the additional 6 items, but on the plus side you can click things on the list even if the name not showing in the list window. If you like clicking away in HO scenes instead of going through the list, you will be disapointed in the misclick penalty - after 4 or 5 misclicks the screen will fade to black for a few seconds.

Give it a try for yourself. It won't please everyone (but nothing ever does) but if you give it a chance it just might be better than you think.

Off to buy!

posted in Mystery Agency: Visions of Time on Mar 12, 12 3:32 AM
It's usually caused by a conflict with the new Game Manager, but it's very easy to fix.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the Game Manager, and if that doesn't work uninstall and reinstall the game. If neither of those work, contact Customer Support by clicking on the green envelope.

posted in Ghost Towns: The Cats of Ulthar on Mar 10, 12 2:44 AM
Just a quck tip for anyone who tries to play the game and gets "trial expired" when they haven't played it before.

1) Try uninstalling and reinstalling the Game Manager. That always solves the problem for me.

2) If it doesn't solve it for you, try uninstalling and reinstalling the game demo.

3) If it still doesn't solve the problem, contact Customer Support.

posted in Between the Worlds II: The Pyramid on Mar 8, 12 4:48 AM
Overall, I was very disappointed in this game. The game itself is all right, but puzzle directions are sorely lacking, so you waste a lot of time figuring out what to do - even in the hidden object scenes. The part that ticked me off is that it cuts off unexpectly in such a way that it is clear that they took a "whole" game and broke it into at least two parts to make more money.

You solve one objective (find an artifact, open it and solve its puzzles), then a dialog pops up that says congratulations, explains the situation that lead to the "problem" and tells you what you must do to make everything right again - and then the credits start rolling!!!

NOT cool.

ETA if you already bought it and are having problems, just check the other threads in this forums. I got stuck a couple of times, and found the answers I was looking for. Highlight for one Spoiler: You only need to use 4 of the sockets. The top left one does not have a match, so you need to use the crowbar to finish the job. In fact, if you use three of the sockts then click on your advisor, he will tell you that is what you need to do. If you don't find the answer you are looking for, start a new thread - just make sure your subject line is specific, like "need help finding sockets" and not just "Help," "Stuck," or the name of the game. There are several of us who check the forums to see if we can help on these games that don't have walkthroughs, and it's easier for us to spot someone with a problem we can help with if the subject line is specific.

If you haven't found it, the hint button is the tube with the yellow liquid, not the round button or the guy on the ID card.

posted in Film Fatale: Lights, Camera, Madness! on Mar 7, 12 8:33 AM
oomun2002 wrote:I have finished the game, and enjoyed it very much. However, I was left with a couple of extra things in my inventory that I have no idea where I forgot to use them. 1 was a "laundry face" and another was "handy man" which was the bloody hand I picked up toward the end of the game (the hand sticking out from under the car). Anyway, I wondered what I had missed or if these might be "Easter eggs" within the game. If there are more of these, I will have to spend time going back through the game looking for them. If I missed using them somewhere, I'll have to go back and see how using them effects the game. Either way, my curiosity is piqued.

There weren't any Easter Eggs. I remember the HO scene where you picked up those items, and you really should not have acquired them - they were just items in the scene and had no use in the game.

Great game, but I also ran into the "didn't pick up the claw" glitch, even though I had the update version. I replayed it - at least we were looking for different items in the HO scenes so it wasn't too bad, it was just annoying that such a major KNOWN problem wasn't fixed in the update. Uninstalling and reinstalling didn't fix the glitch, so replaying was the only option I had to finish the game.

ETA there is a walkthrough available on the web, but not on BFG. Just google it, because I can't put the link or name of the website in a post here.

posted in Natural Threat: Ominous Shores on Feb 29, 12 5:47 AM
blue13 wrote:HAVE DOWNLOADED IT 4 TIMES STILL NO GOOD IT IS A CORRUPTED FILE PLEASE FIX IT WOULD LOVE TO FINISH IT

Please do not use all capitals, because it looks like you are screaming at us. We are just fellow gamers, so screaming at us wouldn't do any good anyway.

Have you contacted Customer Support? That is the only thing that will help. They are aware of the problem and are working to fix it, but it is still important to conact CS and send a Dr. Felix report so they can narrow down the source of the glitch.

posted in Atlantic Journey: The Lost Brother on Feb 28, 12 2:15 PM
SPOILER (highlight to read) You know you are done when you plant the tree in your garden. The game will then return to your cabin on the yacht, and you can place all of the bonus items in your cabin as decorations. If you missed any items, you will be given the opportunity to go back and find the remaining pieces. You can tell if you are missing a piece at a specific location because the stars around that location are completely gold if you have all the pieces, and one or more will just be an outline if you missed something. At that time, the hint button can be used to find the missing pieces of the bonus items.

posted in Atlantic Journey: The Lost Brother on Feb 28, 12 8:44 AM
The bonus items are in pieces, so you need to click on the left lower corner to see what you are looking for, then look for pieces that look like they belong to them. For example, I think the first scene out in the dessert had a gramaphone, so you needed to look for pieces of it, like the flared brass speaker and the turntable. You won't be finding the whole item.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator