Posts created by RyeMcLaughlin

posted in Mystery Trackers: Four Aces Collector's Edition on Oct 23, 12 5:18 AM
The previous tech issues thread was locked when the new PC version came out, but the Mac issues (some quite serious) have not yet been fixed.

Also a link in that last post in that thread ( by bfgBaikal ) http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/80/225929.page#4733280
For more info on this update, just click here!
does not work. It just keeps you on that page.

posted in Drawn™: Trail of Shadows Collector's Edition on Oct 6, 12 6:41 PM
A new Drawn would be wonderful. I love this series. Much better than the MCF in my personal opinion.

posted in Awakening: The Dreamless Castle on Sep 23, 12 9:50 AM
Hi cardworkshop.

When you connect your ipod to the computer and look at Sync Apps, is this app checked? I know I've forgotten to do that a few times.

Welcome to the Mac Forum.

AZDragna1 wrote:How do you get to 'SeaShell Bridge' ? It collapsed a few chapters ago.
Please Help - AZDragna1

Have you seen this?

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/223676.page

posted in Judge Dee: The City God Case on Sep 17, 12 5:43 PM
Judge Dee (Dí Rénjié) was a real person in 600 AD China. A series of mystery stories were written about him during the 1700's in China. Several other authors have used him as their detective.

It's widescreen! Graphics are a bit on the muddy/fuzzy side, this makes the HOGs (which are silhouettes) more difficult. The puzzles are interesting so far, though not terribly difficult. If you want to earn more hints, you play Go. HOGs and puzzles can be replayed. You can play in 5 languages, English, French, German, Italian and Spanish.

When you click on an item of interest, you get icons indicating that you can look closer (an eye), talk (lips) or there is a puzzle (dragon). There is lots of clicking through dialog.

The journal (a scroll) has quests, notes and biographies of everyone you meet. There is a map, but I didn't play with it much. There is a skippable tutorial.

Three levels of play. Easy, Average, Hard. The last has less help and puzzles are harder and timed.

It seems like an older adventure game. According to the map there is a lot to explore. I love mysteries and this story seems interesting. If the graphics were better it would be an instant purchase. As is, I'll be putting it in my list of games that I definitely want, but I'll wait until the end of the month to see if anything else better comes along.

No widescreen available in Mac OS 10.6.8. Maintain Aspect Ratio whether checked or unchecked does nothing.

posted in Triazzle Island on Sep 13, 12 7:33 PM
On a Mac running 10.6.8.

I played 40 min of the demo this morning. I quit and restarted several times and it all seemed to work well. Gave it one more try before purchasing, and my profile and progress have vanished.

I had shut down the computer, so that must be the trigger, as I can quit and restart the game and every thing is fine.

posted in Jar of Marbles II: Journey to the West on Sep 10, 12 6:58 PM
Based on the one hour demo.

Drop marbles into a bowl filled with marbles and make matches to clear marbles. The level is over when you have eliminated enough marbles in order for the marbles with puzzle pieces inside to match. (Did I use the word marbles often enough? )

Good graphics - the marbles are pretty and varied - widescreen, no music - just sound effects and environmental noises (both are good). You can adjust Screen resolution. Timed - not generously. Can not have multiple users.

There are 12 Achievements to earn. You can't see them all apparently until you unlock them - the scroll bar is frozen. There are also a few power ups as you progress. They don't seem to be very powerful, at least on the early levels.

When you close the Options window, my screen went black and the desktop came up, and then the game comes back.

I might have liked this if there were an untimed option. Normally I prefer timed levels and I'm good at them, but this one has just too much chance involved to make a timer much fun. The levels are short though, so at least you don't feel like you've wasted too much time. Give it a try if you like Match 3 and or Marble Poppers.

posted in Jar of Marbles II: Journey to the West on Sep 10, 12 6:23 PM
When I close out of the Options window, my screen goes black and I can momentarily see the desktop, then it goes black again and the game appears again.

This is on a Mac running 10.6.8.

posted in Peggle Deluxe on Sep 7, 12 5:52 AM
Do your self a favor and play at least the first level of this game. It will only a take a minute or so and will have you smiling or even LOL.

Four modes of play, some of which are unlocked as the game progresses.
Adventure - 10 levels each with five stages - you play with the help of a different character in each level - each character has different powers.
Quick Play - Replay any level you have beaten - get to choose which character will help you
Duel - play against computer or another player
Challenge - Extra 75 levels are unlocked after beating all Adventure levels

This game has many short levels. I keep wanting to play just one more, but not something that would draw you in for hours. Great for kids who will probably be better at it than you.

Minor Warning - when I first installed the game I got an Error Code 900. I have learned that this means that the game has installed into my trash can. I pulled it out and the game ran fine. No idea why this happens to me, but I do see it on a semi regular basis.

posted in Frederic: Resurrection of Music on Sep 5, 12 5:34 AM
Guitar Hero for piano.

Lots of technical options, screen resolution, graphics quality, and input. Looks like you can play it with a game control, mouse(not the default) arrow keys or letters on the keyboard( you can choose which keys).

Too choose the keys, click on Input Options on the main menu screen (not the Graphics/Input window). Click on a piano key with your cursor and then click on a key on the keyboard. That way you can play with both hands.

There are four difficulty levels, Too Easy, Normal, Hard and Chopin.

The muses have raised Frederic Chopin from the dead to battle against a modern day one man electronic band. Why? They don't say. This opening cut scene is fairly long - there is a total of one hour of cut scenes. There are no instructions, apparently they assume you know what to do.

I played for few minutes. There are 7 wires leading to your keyboard. Notes appear and you have to wait until they touch the key before you click on that key. I played on Too Easy mode and was hopeless, but hopefully that's because it took me a while to figure out how to play. (I also really need a manicure - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. )

Looks like it would be lots of fun for kids. I'll try it again when I have some time. There are also demo versions for the iDevices. I might try one of those too.

There is a great review by megwoman25 on the game page.

posted in Syberia - Part 3 on Sep 4, 12 10:57 PM
Sadly though the original Syberia is not available for the Mac. They should have called this Syberia Lite or something.

At least the original is still around. I wonder for how much longer?

edited to add

Thanks gingergal for the link to the original game. It's no longer listed on the PC games page.

posted in Syberia - Part 3 on Sep 4, 12 10:54 PM
alanolan wrote:The mac version will not open.the error message says it has shut down unexpectedly,relaunching does not help.I tried deleting it twice and restarting my computer.no luck...any ideas folks?

What version of the OS are you running? I have OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) on my Mac and the game seems to work OK.

posted in Malice: Two Sisters on Sep 3, 12 6:40 AM
My Mac running is running 10.6.8. The game seems to work OK, but every time you start the game it blinks back and forth between the desktop and the game several times. When I quit, it has shrunk open windows on my desktop.

The game also plays with wide black bars on either side. I'm wondering if the game is playing with my resolutions.

It does the weird flashing back and forth when changing from fullscreen to windowed, and shrinks open apps, but only once back and forth.

Did anyone test this?

posted in Malice: Two Sisters on Sep 3, 12 6:20 AM
I have a Mac running 10.6.8. The game seems to work OK, but every time you start the game it blinks back and forth between the desktop and the game several times. When I quit, it has shrunk open windows on my desktop.

The game also plays with wide black bars on either side. I'm wondering if the game is playing with my resolutions.

It does the weird flashing back and forth when changing from fullscreen to windowed, and shrinks open apps, but only once back and forth.

Did anyone test this?

posted in Malice: Two Sisters on Sep 3, 12 6:00 AM
Tywee wrote:Every time I open the game it freezes and I have to restart my computer And here comes the bad news... I never tried the game I just had an extra game credit I wasted. And to think I never even saw the title screen.

Contact Customer Support (closed today) they will give you a replacement credit.

posted in Nancy Drew: The Captive Curse on Aug 28, 12 5:10 PM
Thanks BFG for finally bringing a game from this series here for the Mac players. It's a great one that I will be definitely be purchasing.

posted in Nancy Drew: The Captive Curse on Aug 28, 12 5:08 PM
This review is based on the one hour demo.

I loved this. I've never played this type of game (Large File Adventure) before. The detailed graphics, interesting puzzles and games and fun well voiced dialog make this a winner.

You are Nancy Drew who has been summoned to Germany to solve a mystery about a monster that abducts young women. You have to decide who to talk to and where to go throughout the castle. Not a lot of help given, but I'm enjoying exploring the game. Be sure to save often. The game allows you to quit without saving, so if you make a mistake, you can just start from your last save point.

The opening tutorial was a bit slow, but I found it useful, as this game is so different. An independent review said it was shorter than some of the others in the series, but these games are usually very long and one review gave it 6 - 7 hours of play time.

Thanks BFG for finally bringing a game from this series here for the Mac players.

posted in Amusement World! on Aug 27, 12 8:26 AM
I played for most of the hour demo in two sittings.

A princess has created an amusement park for her subjects. You are there playing the games and helping to make sure everything is ready for the big ball in the evening. There are four sections to the park, you have to finish one to get to the next, but all games can be replayed to increase your score.

There are tiny gumdrops (not sure why) to find as well as tickets. You can't play the carnival games without the tickets.

There were two carnival style games, one was a pop the balloon with a dart. Some balloons had to be hit more than once, other exploded into multiple balloons that had to be popped. The other was a hit the target with a ball. With both, you have to play three rounds, each time winning a bigger prize. I liked these, but they are timed, which might turn off some.

In the time I played I found several HOGs (which you can not leave once you trigger them, even by quitting and restarting the game). Some HOGs lead to more things to find, sometimes 10 of an item, or a FROG. Sometimes you have to leave an area to find the pieces. There are also puzzles, the one I played was a rotate items to get matching pieces together. Simple, but it had a different mechanic that was nice.

I really want to like this. I like the carnival games, which are timed and have casual and expert modes. It's a little HOG heavy though, with no interactive items. It seems a little dated. I think the people are supposed to be fun and cheerful, but they are just weird. Not a game I need to purchase right now.

posted in The Sparkle 2: Evo on Aug 22, 12 8:50 PM
The game is pretty enough, but only works in either windowed or the lowest resolution. You have to continually hold down the mouse button which gets tiring. The instructions are fairly vague, they reference terms that are not explained. The game is very slow loading.

It's designed for the iPad and shows it. It might be fun to play on that, but as for the Mac version, after 30 minutes of on and off play, my shoulder is aching and I just don't feel like continuing.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator