Posts created by mostly_nameless

posted in Grim Tales: The Legacy on Feb 6, 12 3:04 PM
gamergirl675 wrote:Second the things needed such as "something to throw at something" ummm I'm on an outside path... there were plenty of stones around and branches I could have broken off (especially since I was just using a machette!) but nope apparently that wasn't possible. But because the game wasn't ready for that to happen or because I had to find exactly the "right" whatever it couldn't be done at that moment. Then I use something and it's gone. Do you buy a NEW screwdriver or machette or knife or whatever every single time you use it devs??? REALLY??? I don't believe it.

I expect a little of that in these kinds of games, but this one did take it to the extreme. By the time I got the "right" item to throw at the bird, I had forgotten about the bird. (And I don't think his location even showed on the map.)

And, I thought the "right" thing was just dumb.

Still, it was a fun way to waste time while stuck home with a cold.

posted in Grim Tales: The Legacy on Feb 5, 12 11:57 PM
It's not something I say very often, but I thought this game was too long.

It seemed like, after we got sis to the car, it didn't play quite the same.

It seemed like the logic went out the window and I wasn't sure where to go/what to do and the map wasn't helping either. At that point, it started to get tedious.

Then again, maybe it was the cold medicine.

Still, bonus points for not killing the wolf. And, my "nephew" was a cute puppy.

It was an okay to pretty good game, but it did press a few of my buttons.

I can't stand it when you can't do an action because you have to go get a certain something, even if you already have a something that does the same thing. Or, you have to go get something to do an action that you could do with your hands. For instance, getting a key out of a lamp cover. In real life, you would most likely smash the stupid thing, not look for tweezers for an hour. There seemed to be a lot of that kind of thing in this game.

And, geez, did I accidentally kill somebody? Did I blow up that poor guy in the lighthouse and not even bother to stop and feel bad about it? Downer.

And, did the kid ever get the cure or not? Why did I go to all that trouble and not get to do the thing that was the stated objective of the whole game?

Oh well. Who cares if the kid got cured or not. At least she makes a cute puppy.

posted in Azada® : In Libro Collector's Edition on Jan 1, 12 2:46 PM
Just finished the game, but then I didn't buy it until the CE was on sale. And, I'm glad I go the CE because the game would've seemed either unfinished or sad-ending without the bonus storyline.

That said, it was a very fine game, but it wasn't Azada. I love the other two Azadas because they are all puzzles. I can't think of any game like Azada.

This was a very nice, extremely nice really, adventure game. I think it would've been good enough to start it's own franchise without riding on the Azada name.

So, will we ever get a real third Azada puzzle game?

(Oh, and that sodoku with faces thing was an evil puzzle. I got tired of it and hit the strategy guide. Wow. Way beyond fun kind of hard on that one.)

rerich wrote:I did like the way the scenes from Return were used as now even more ruins. I was especially glad the Whack-A-Troll was destroyed. I never managed to beat the thing and am glad to see it trashed. It was on my second play through that I finally figured out the note on the brick in the old living room of Ravenhurst Mansion. I'm glad I threw it.

I have to admit to a smirk myself when I saw that accursed Whack-A-Troll machine in ruins. That was good.

Well, I'm finished and I don't know what to say.

I took Wednesday off to get it and play it and I'm just finishing on day 3. That says something. If I had loved it, it would've been done before Thanksgiving was over.

Good:

There was one vintage Ravenhearst puzzle in there and I LOVED it. It was nonsense and goofy and just classic Ravenhearst. It made me smile.

We found out why Charles whacked everybody at Madame Fate's carnival and it wasn't because of me (the detective).

It played pretty much flawlessly. (Slowed down a few times, but I think that was iTunes doing its new "improved' wifi synching when I didn't want it to.)

Bad:

I don't like how Charles has gone from tragically nutty guy in Ravenhearst to sicko guy in RTR to seriously off the charts sicko guy in this one. What he did with Rose and the kids was bad, but this was off the charts sick.

Doing a run through anybody's abusive childhood isn't really entertainment.

I actually moaned when we got to the hospital. "Not another sanitarium game. NOT IN RAVENHEARST!"

I guess one could say that they took this all so far that they were trying to satirize the genre of sanitarium games, but I'm not sure it worked.

MCF games used to be light-hearted and funny. Even Dire Grove wasn't overly dire. This game didn't have that light-hearted funny spark I've come to expect from MCF.

Morphing objects might've been fun mixed in for a scene or two, but they are a bore as a steady diet. A real BORE.

The game seemed to take a few leaps (like, did I REALLY have enough rags to make a rope ladder?) And the strategy guide was not really very helpful.

Everybody DIED?! Seriously? I didn't manage to save any of the missing residents? THAT'S depressing!!!

The bonus play was a huge disappointment. I wasn't a big fan of 13 Skulls, but at least the bonus play was real bonus play.

The Neutral:

The game seemed very non-linear. Having to escape just to go get stuff to come back to your captivity seems pretty odd.

I was disappointed that the lighthouse didn't have a bigger part in the game, since I've been wondering about it for years.

I don't know. I didn't love it. But, it was MCF so I can't hate it.

I don't know what to make of it. But, I'm not going to jump in and start replaying it right away. That says something too.

posted in Resurrection, New Mexico Collector's Edition on Oct 28, 11 11:31 PM
I didn't have any trouble downloading.

The storyline is familiar, but reasonably well done. I liked the story. I would've liked to see the mom deal with her own "guilt" a little more. But, it was pretty good.

But the graphics in the hidden object scenes ranged from "not great" to "truly awful". Some of the scenes in the bonus chapter were awful.

Things don't look like what they're supposed to (bullet? ha!), are hidden behind things, and are so grainy and in some cases transparent that they stink.

Also, it was good that there were liberal hints about where to go next because this is one of those games that won't let you do things out of the prescribed order. You can't get what you know you need in a scene and take it with you. Instead, you have to go do whatever (no matter how trivial) then come back to get the scenes to open. You'll run back and forth a lot.

Probably not worth the CE price, especially since I was disappointed in the bonus story. I wanted to know more about a different character and why that character did what they did. I didn't need to see the story I already knew about the bonus character.

Oh, and at least for me, a lot of items were very hard to click. I said "it is TOO!" a lot in this game and had to click, click, and click again to pick stuff up.

posted in Secrets of the Past: Mother's Diary on Oct 25, 11 4:42 PM
smilestogo wrote:I think the game is very good! Fits my screen perfectly and the graphics are nice and clear.

Interesting. It won't go full screen for me, even if I try to manually change the resolution. And, with the game being all squished up in a window, that eyeball looks really big.

Oh well. There are other games.

posted in Committed: Mystery at Shady Pines on Oct 23, 11 8:24 PM
I bought it and played it all the way through, but I can't say I really liked it.

I think the cruelty factor was just a little too high.

Spoiler: I stole morphine from a burn victim and that's supposed to be a good thing? Seriously?

Not a game I'll play again.

I'm not sure about this one. It seemed good, but not great and it seemed to be going by pretty fast.

I already purchased (and played) Bronze Horseman so I'm sort of low on game funds.

If I'm already up to getting the whatever-it-is from the bird to get into the library and I already have 12 or 13 of the 30 bags of gold, how much more game is there? Am I a quarter done? Half done?

Having almost half of the gold in the hour demo makes me worry about how long the game is. Is there enough game after that point to make up for paying the CE price?

I think they're in the bird nest near the tree.

posted in F.A.C.E.S. Collector's Edition on Sep 3, 11 8:48 PM
I'm late to this one, but I loved it.

When it came out, I tried a few minutes of the trial (got to fixing the elevator) and couldn't decide if it was worth CE prices or not, so I didn't buy it.

I went back and picked it up during the CE sale and it turned out to be really good.

It was nice and long. I loved the story. It was a bit different than what I thought it was going to be. The graphics were good. The flow of the game was good. (I did have to hit the Strategy Guide a couple of times, but that could've been my migraine brain.)

I have no idea about the music because I didn't have the earphones in.

And, the bonus game was actually a good addendum to the story and was long enough to not feel tacked on.

Fun game!

Spoiler: And, I have to admit, Dad's hand in the freezer did sort of creep me out. I don't even want to think about how it got there. And the creepy games don't usually give me the creepies.

I sort of agree.

I don't mind the "to be continued" in regards to finding out more about Darcy and what she had to do with the whole mess, but the bonus game said I would find out what happened to gramps. So, I sort of expected to find out what happened to gramps.

Silly me.

posted in Slot Quest: The Museum Escape on Aug 22, 11 6:50 PM
I have no idea what this is supposed to be or why they say I'm escaping from a museum since it seems like you just sit there and watch a slot machine play...by itself sometimes. And you wait for points to collect so you can....uhm...go sit and watch another slot machine?

I don't think so.

I wish there was a way to mark a game in the game manager as "definite no" because when I delete them, I forget if I tried them or not later and wind up downloading them again.

kris_cross48 wrote:I can't really explain it..but I really don't much like this game. I hate being negative..especially with all the trouble we've had getting games to run and all...and this one runs fine, so far. But I bought it and kinda went.ugh-ick inside. That make sense?

Either my vision has gone to pot in one day, or these HOG scenes are hard to see. Especially the underwater ones..I always hate going underwater. Anyone else get the heebeegeebees when the water level cam e up and filled the screen?
ANyway, hope th rest of you are having a better time..I wish I hadn't bought the CE...but live and learn.
kris

I feel pretty much the same way. I feel kind of bad complaining because the game did play okay and was pretty to look at for the most part, but it wasn't very exciting.

And, I disliked the underwater parts because most of the stuff was so hard to see. I did think the scene that was double-wide was an interesting concept, since you had to guess which side of the scene the items were in.

Oh, and the bonus play was a snore fest.

The game would've been an okay time-filler at SE price, but I think it was overpriced as a CE.

You have to make the arrows stop on the 180 lines.

Don't even want to talk about how long it took to figure that out.

Awesome game, but seemed a bit short. On the other hand, I think I played faster than usual and I haven't played the bonus content yet.

I really liked that all of the story was there (unlike some other CE I bought recently). And, the voice acting was good for the most part (the first lady sounded like a recording being played too slowly, but nothing's perfect.)

The game played flawlessly for me, but I never tried to open the strategy guide.

This one doesn't seem as difficult as I remember the first one being, but it was still fun. (I remember being caught in that burning house for what seemed like eons in the first one because I couldn't find something nor other. I didn't hit any stumbles like that this time.)

Did you replace and reposition the light bulb and open the manhole?

posted in Grim Tales: The Bride Collector's Edition on Aug 7, 11 4:06 PM
mahagony2020 wrote:I am stuck with the fuse i have the fuse but can't put it in place I startet the game 3 times and the same problem hmmm well i guess i get my money back cant play the game

Do you mean the white fuse that you put downstairs where you cleaned the glass with the hankerchief?

If so, you need two fuses. It won't let you put them in place until you have both.

posted in Grim Tales: The Bride Collector's Edition on Aug 6, 11 12:06 AM
Count me in the group of people stuck at the slider portrait in the Rifle chapter.

This isn't funny.

I already had a hissy fit last month over having to start over because of the unfixable errors in Nightmare Realm (anyone else remember the '12 eyes' incident?). And now this.

Instead of "Collector's Editions", maybe these should be called "Beta Tests we make you pay for".

Speaking of which, I've gotten invitations to test several games, but it's always only the first part (probably the free "hour" part). Does anybody ever get to test a whole game to look for stuff like this?

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator