Posts created by divegal

posted in Eden's Quest: The Hunt for Akua on Mar 13, 10 3:09 PM
I posted a longer report in the "Errors being investigated" thread but, as that thread seems to intermingle with this one, here's a shorter version, FWIW:

The demo from another site is working SO much better for me, even on my clunky ol' XP laptop -- it's smooth and speedy, and while there is an occasional crackling sound, it doesn't compare to the mess that was the jumpy/echoing/noisy "soundtrack" on the BFG version.

So, after hours with CS and drivers and six installations of three different releases, it appears that the problem wasn't with my computer after all.

I do hope that BFG will reconsider that the problem just might lie with the new game manager or DRM (they wouldn't be alone with that kind of issue.) I'd much rather give them my $6.99 next time.

posted in Eden's Quest: The Hunt for Akua on Mar 13, 10 2:49 PM
phatkhat wrote:The demo from uLose worked okay for me. And I couldn't even get the trial from here to load. Sooooo. No, it isn't my computer. It's something in either BFG's DRM or in the games manager.

The uLose demo is working SO much better for me -- smooth and speedy, and while there is an occasional crackling sound, it doesn't compare to the mess that was the jumpy/echoing/noisy "soundtrack" on the BFG version.

So, after hours with CS and checking drivers and six installations of three different releases, it appears that the problem wasn't with my computer after all, either.

It seems this kind of thing did start happening with the new game manager. IIRC this is the third game since then that I tried and encountered major bugs which were (based on page after page of similar problem reports, versus good reviews elsewhere) a BFG-specific problem. But this is the first one I wanted badly enough to actually buy elsewhere.

I do hope that BFG will reconsider that the problem just might lie with the new game manager or DRM (they wouldn't be alone with that kind of issue.) I'd much rather give them my $6.99 the next time this happens.

Edit based on reading the comments above: I'm using an old laptop with Windows XP. If there's a system requirements problem, it's not with the game itself, it's with the BFG version.

posted in Eden's Quest: The Hunt for Akua on Mar 9, 10 1:24 AM
After my sixth installation, and realizing I just can't find a puzzle game for my credit, I sadly suspended my membership of three plus years

posted in Cute Knight Kingdom on Mar 9, 10 1:21 AM
And not to drag this out, but so very nicely put, cmm288. In addition to the games classified as HOGs there are several I didn't count that are called "adventure" which actually consist of 1/2 or more HOG scenes. It's just a plain matter of fact, and one that has me with a credit to burn.

Thanks also for your input on this game that had me curious just because it's different. Not for me, but at least it's not the same ol'.

posted in Eden's Quest: The Hunt for Akua on Mar 8, 10 6:27 PM
Please, will someone also investigate the scratchy (or, for some others, no) sound issue as well? I already did the back-and-forth with CS, drivers etc are current. Thank you!

posted in Eden's Quest: The Hunt for Akua on Mar 8, 10 6:23 PM
Okeechobee, I just asked this in another thread before I saw this one (doh!) but:

Will this (third) version address sound problems? After back-and-forth with CS, updating my drivers etc. (which were current) it just won't run on my computer without unbearably scratchy sound. Reading through the pages of glitches, I'm not the only one.

Is it worth me trying a *sigh* sixth download?

Thanks in advance...

posted in Eden's Quest: The Hunt for Akua on Mar 8, 10 6:19 PM
Okeechobee, will the rebuild apply to sound problems?

After back-and-forth with CS, updating my drivers etc. (which were current) it just won't run on my computer without unbearably scratchy sound. I don't have this problem with any other program.

I know that not every program will work on every computer but lately there's been a run of games with SO many problems and rebuilds. What's going on?

posted in Eden's Quest: The Hunt for Akua on Mar 8, 10 6:18 PM
After back-and-forth with CS, updating my drivers etc. (which were current) it just won't run on my computer without unbearably scratchy sound. I don't have this problem with any other program. I know that not every program will work on every computer but lately there's been a run of games with SO many problems and rebuilds. What's going on?

posted in Eden's Quest: The Hunt for Akua on Mar 8, 10 6:16 PM
After back-and-forth with CS, updating my drivers etc. (which were current) it just won't run on my computer without unbearably scratchy sound. I don't have this problem with any other program. I know that not every program will work on every computer but lately there's been a run of games with SO many problems and rebuilds. What's going on?

posted in Eden's Quest: The Hunt for Akua on Mar 8, 10 6:15 PM

posted in Cute Knight Kingdom on Mar 8, 10 11:06 AM
hanakogames and SimpleAbundance -- thank you for the descriptions. I guess RPG was the general term I was grappling for and your further reviews helped me a lot.

SA thank you for carrying the math further with which I was also grappling overnight.

Happy gaming everyone, whatever you find.

posted in Cute Knight Kingdom on Mar 8, 10 5:18 AM
Mojave_Rain wrote:
ETA sorry Divegal I was counting whilst you were posting lol.

No problem in fact I was hoping for someone who could do things like count and remember things like DDs better than I

Back to the game, I see it listed as "adventure" but it appears unlike others I've tried. Can anyone compare it to something else...is it kinda Sim-like? A very primitive single-player cartoon World of Warcraft? A mystery?

Thanks fellow fishes -- I know I could just demo and try it myself but I have some installed and on hold already, seeing if CS can work around glitches...

posted in Cute Knight Kingdom on Mar 8, 10 4:37 AM
OLDBAY wrote:OMG... .....18 days....... Withdraws . ,,,,..Need .....A.........HOG........Bad............

According to http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/new-releases.html the last 18 days have had more HOGS than anything..
Just counting backwards here..
March 6, 4, 3 and 2, February 28, 27, 26, and 25
(some days had more than one type of game, but those all had a HOG.)

I'm not complaining (though we all want more of our faves, mine are puzzles please); just speaking for those of us who appreciate variety (thank you !) and who consider HOG lovers very lucky here

posted in Eden's Quest: The Hunt for Akua on Mar 8, 10 3:21 AM
LusciousLeia wrote:eh i could take it or leave it.. cool mini games but the sound was scratchy like an old record..

Someone with the same problem I'm having! Of the myriad of problems I'm seeing here, I couldn't find anyone else. I wrote to CS and hope to get it resolved as it's waaay too annoying. I really want the game to work

posted in Eden's Quest: The Hunt for Akua on Mar 7, 10 1:11 PM
For me it has sound but it's terrible -- full of echo when there's dialog, and crackling throughout. No such problem on any other program on this trusty computer. Wrote to CS because silence = bad imo.

posted in Eden's Quest: The Hunt for Akua on Mar 7, 10 1:03 PM
madmom1958 wrote:
divegal wrote:I'm having sound problems -- a bad echo, and lots of crackling. All drivers are definitely up-to-date and have no sound problem with any other program. Will contact CS but wondering if anyone else is having the same problem? Thanks..

Hey divegal,

I have no sound with my game. Did CS help at all? I did a post about no sound, lots are looking, but only 1 response to contact CS. They sometimes take forever to respond.

Any luck?

madmom, I just reported yesterday so I guess I have to wait the 24-72....will definitely post again when I get a response.

CS taking forever? This is a new thing...but then there's been quite a run of glitchy games too. I hope it's all just a coincidence because it didn't used to be like this and I loved the way it was when glitches and rebuilds were rare and responses so quick, someone please tell me it will be that way again

posted in Eden's Quest: The Hunt for Akua on Mar 7, 10 5:48 AM
I uninstalled and reinstalled too, same problems, contacted CS.

Wish I had the old version to try -- this is just my kind of game

posted in Eden's Quest: The Hunt for Akua on Mar 7, 10 4:33 AM
I'm having sound problems -- a bad echo, and lots of crackling. All drivers are definitely up-to-date and have no sound problem with any other program. Will contact CS but wondering if anyone else is having the same problem? Thanks..

posted in Eden's Quest: The Hunt for Akua on Mar 7, 10 4:32 AM
I have only tried the upgraded version. I'm getting sound problems -- a bad echo, and a lot of crackling. All drivers are definitely up-to-date and I have no sound problems with any other program. Will contact CS but wondering if anyone else has the same problem? Thanks.

posted in Eden's Quest: The Hunt for Akua on Mar 4, 10 9:54 PM
sinshack wrote:
divegal wrote:I see so many people complaining that it's not a HOG, but gosh, it's not advertised as one --- it's a large file with puzzles/minigames listed above HOG scenes.

Actually, it IS advertised as an HOG game - the description states:
Tricky puzzles and minigames
Exciting Hidden Object scenes
Find the treasure of Akua!

So far, the only HOG parts I've run across are a couple of find-the-pieces of torn-up papers, the rest are endless mini-games. It's quite a stretch to call the two HOG scenes "exciting" because the pieces were in plain sight. I did use a game credit on it because there hasn't been much else available in a good hidden object game lately. Lots of HOGs, just not very good ones. I did expect this to be a HOG by the product description, but by the time I finished the demo I knew it wasn't.

Not to get defensive, but no, it is NOT categorized as a HOG, it is very clearly categorized as a large file. And many of those tend to be more adventure/puzzle in nature (see Nancy Drew, et al.)

And like I (and you!) said, puzzles/minigames are indeed listed above Hidden Object scenes. "Exciting" is subjective....apparently you haven't found recent actual HOG games very good either. I just don't get how anything I wrote called for a negation.

It was my first post in a while because it's the first large file puzzle-heavy game in a while, and I stand by BFGs description, and on behalf of those who prefer puzzles/minigames to HOGs, I stand there happily.

Edit: While I'm thrilled with the idea of the game, and think it's properly described based on what I've seen, actually running it is another story, for me and so many others. Glitches galore, and I'm so sad because this is exactly the kind of game I've waited so long for

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator