Posts created by Dominick_Fontana

posted in Castle: Never Judge a Book by Its Cover on May 8, 13 1:40 AM
This is a review of the entire game. Just for the record, I never even heard of the TV show.

This game was okay for me, but not great. I don't like HOS and the ones in this game were slightly annoying, but not that bad. The problem for me was the puzzles and mini-games. I usually try not to skip them, but I skipped the majority of them in this game. They were too tedious and unenjoyable for me.

The interactive map was nice and it showed where actions were available, but it just transported you to general areas and not individual scenes. So if you see there is a task to do on the map and you click on the area, it takes you to a new area, but there might be 4 to 5 scenes in that area. You then have to figure out in which scene or scenes there are tasks available.

The graphics were nice and the sounds were okay, but I didn't like the music. But for me, the biggest problem with this game was the incessant dialogue between the characters. First, I like voiceovers and this game did not have them. I didn't count, but I estimate that there was over 500 lines of dialogue between the characters, if not more. After a short time, I stopped reading it. Every time dialogue came, I just clicked away to get rid of it in a few seconds. I estimate that if you took the time to read all the dialogue, it would add about an hour of playing time to the game.

Then there was a Storyboard with Victims, Suspects, Witnesses, and Evidence. Sounds nice, but it was absolutely useless. I thought that at the end of the game, you would have to solve something using those clues; but you don't! It's just there to look at, but it's not used for anything. There was a phone that rang periodically that was a nice touch to get messages from your colleagues.

The game was pretty long and took me about 5-6 hours to complete.

For me, the game was okay, but it wasn't great. So I recommend this game with reservations and give it one thumb up and one thumb down. I rate this game a 6 out of 10.

posted in Ghost: Elisa Cameron on Apr 11, 13 11:46 PM
This is a review of the entire game. The game is quirky and a bit bizarre in some respects, and yet it was still a fun and enjoyable game for me. I wouldn't say it is a game for a beginner because it was not an easy game. With some aspects of the game I don't know if it was supposed to be like that or if there were just some glitches in the game, as explained below.

First, I thought the voiceovers were very good, but the volume of the voiceovers was uneven, so that is a glitch. I set the volume I wanted in the Options, but then sometimes, the voices were much louder and sometimes very low. Also, the navigation was quirky because you had to point to a certain area of the screen to move to another scene and sometimes I couldn't figure out how to move to a new scene. The items you receive in your inventory are not labelled. When you hover over them, there is no label. I hate HOS and there were a lot of HOS in this game. Also, sometimes I would complete a HOS and would not receive anything. It turns out that completing some HOS does not put an item in your inventory, but triggers something else you can do, so that took some getting used to. Finally, there seemed to be a delayed reaction at times where there was nothing to do in a scene and then all of a sudden, sparkles would appear for a HOS.

Despite everything I wrote above, I kept with the game because the game was actually a lot of fun for me. So I put up with its shortcomings because the game was enjoyable. The graphics were very well done and clear and the music and sound effects were great. The HOS were not too bad because they were pretty easy, there is no random click penalty, and the hint meter recharged quickly. So I finished most HOS in 1.5 to 2 minutes. Another interesting part of the game was this jigsaw puzzle that you play throughout the entire game. You keep getting puzzle pieces and you click on an orb on the right of the screen to open the puzzle. Then you add the new pieces you found and then click the orb to return to the game. The puzzle was good because when you moved a piece around the puzzle it would highlight where the piece was supposed to go. The storyline was also very intriguing and the puzzles were enjoyable.

So despite some quirky behavior, I put up with it because I really enjoyed the game, wanted to see what happened next, and had a lot of fun playing it. I recommend this game and give it 2 thumbs up. I rate this game a 7.5 out of 10.

posted in Strange Cases: The Faces of Vengeance on Apr 9, 13 11:28 PM
This is a review of the entire game. It's not the current state of the art, but the game was still fun and is worth buying. If you played the demo, skip the rest of this paragraph, because you will already know all of these details. There is an interactive map, a locking inventory bar, and good voiceovers. There is no diary, task list, achievements, or collectibles. I thought the graphics were good and suitable for this type of game. The music was okay and the rest of the sounds were pretty good.

The game had 21 Hidden Object Scenes (HOS) that didn't annoy me too much. There is no random-click penalty and the Hint meter recharges rather quickly, so I finished most HOS in 2 to 2.5 minutes. With every HOS you have to find a Tarot card first to get started. After you find it, then the Word List appears and you play the HOS. Most of the time I could find the Tarot card. But it was strange that sometimes I couldn't find it and had to use a hint to find the Tarot card before I could even start the HOS. The odd thing was that most of them were word lists, with some interactive items to find, but towards the beginning of the game, out of a clear blue sky, there were a few HOS with shadow silhouettes. Then it went back to the word lists for the rest of the game.

Some of the puzzles were innovative and were a lot of fun. Others were the standard fare, but still done very well. Overall, I thought the storyline was excellent and there is a surprise ending, a la The Twilight Zone. The game was offbeat and a bit different, but that added to its charm.

Again, this may seem like a bit of a dated game to some people, but it was well done and I liked it. I recommend this game and give it 2 thumbs up. I rate this game a 6.5 out of 10.

Hi, feenix.

Well, we can't always agree. That would be boring. haha

The thing is I do agree that the Bonus chapter was great and took me 1.25 hours to complete. But the entire rest of the game only took me twice that time. So I finished everything in under 4 hours, which was way too short for me. If the game took me 6-7 hours to complete, I would have given it a higher score.

Just to throw in my two cents, this is a review of the entire game.

As others have stated, I was shocked at the length of this game. I completed the entire game in about 2.5 hours. The game was okay, but it was basically more of the same old; same old thing. It was also quite easy with a lot of grunt work involved during the game. It was an easy game and that's one of the reasons it was such a short game. The Bonus Chapter was pretty good and took me about 1 hour and 15 minutes to complete, which was half the time it took me to complete the game itself. So altogether, the entire game with Bonus Chapter took me about 3.75 hours to complete. For me, under 4 hours is way too short for a CE game, or even a SE game, for that matter.

Again, the game was okay (just nothing new), but it was the short length of the game that was the problem. So, I do not recommend this game and give it 2 thumbs down. I rate this game a 4 out of 10.

posted in Mountain Trap: The Manor of Memories on Mar 25, 13 1:33 AM
Oh, I didn't see your post until now, Izara.

Yes, I enjoyed that closing cut scene very, very much. Bwhahahaha!

posted in Shadows: Price for Our Sins on Mar 25, 13 1:26 AM
Hi, elfins.

Well, that's what I used, a picture of the wine bottle solution from the WT, and it worked for me. But it was very, very tedious to finally solve it. You have to put the EXACT bottles in the EXACT positions to get it to work. The odd thing is that nobody else mentioned that. They just said sort them according to color.

For instance, if I remember correctly, there were 3 green bottles and 4 blue bottles that went on the top shelf. But you don't just put the green and then the blue in any order. Those 7 bottles have to be in an exact order. How on earth were you supposed to know what the correct order was? Also, the reason it was a problem is that there is a bug with the SKIP button and it doesn't work. Maybe the SKIP button worked for some people and they just skipped the puzzle.

Good luck trying to solve the puzzle.

posted in Nightmare Realm: In the End... Collector's Edition on Mar 15, 13 1:51 AM
Well, we have one of those issues again because I have had nothing but problems with this game, but not everyone has had those problems, so the devs don't fix it. Their game is very, very bug-ridden for many people. If you check the beginning of this thread, you'll see all the problems. With the initial release, it played fine for some people, but for myself and others, there was no Strategy Guide in the game. The interface didn't include it. Then there was the chessboard problem, and a bunch of other problems. Now I reported the Bonus chapter problem, but apparently not everyone had that problem because nobody else mentioned it here. I gave my guess why not everyone had the problem. As I said, you have to pick up a branch and a little animal. I think if you pick up the branch first and then the animal, you don't encounter the bug. But I picked up the little animal before the branch and the animal didn't appear in my inventory, so I couldn't continue the bonus chapter. Is this bug going to be fixed? Not having a necessary item appear in your inventory is a major bug in the game. And I can't just start the bonus chapter over. I would have to create a new profile and replay the entire game, just to be able to try the bonus chapter again. This is very frustrating and the devs should issue a quick fix that will allow me to continue the bonus chapter. I have been trying to complete this game for 2 months now.

Thank you.

posted in Mountain Trap: The Manor of Memories on Mar 13, 13 12:34 AM
[Part 2 of 2]

I don't like HOS and prefer pure Adventure games, but the HOS in this game did not bother me. There were only 23 HOS in the game (both word lists and silhouettes), there was no random click penalty, and the hint meter recharged quickly. I finished most HOS in 1.5 to 2 minutes. The puzzles were very enjoyable. Many of them were new puzzles instead of the same old puzzle types we've seen many times before. These novel puzzles were enjoyable and provided just the right amount of difficulty for me. Not too easy and not too difficult. The Skip button recharges quickly. There were also voice overs in the game, which I enjoyed, but the acting may have been a little off, and that just made me laugh, but I still enjoyed them.

For me, although most of the gameplay was not novel, it was the intangibles, variety, and length of the game that appealed to me. The developers took the best aspects of all the other games on the market and put them into this game. That's why I enjoyed it so much. You start out at a ski lodge and find a note from your friend who is in trouble, so you go look for her. You play the early game in a snow-covered environment and then travel to the mysterious manor to find your girlfriend. This is a totally different environment and adds variety to the game. Then you find the soul of a bride and have to fine 5 items for her, which then leads to the climax. There were so many different things to do in the game that there was never a dull moment. This is a Standard Edition (SE) and yet it took me over 10 hours to complete it! Ten hours of non-stop fun is why I enjoyed this game so much. When the game ends, it promises a sequel.

For the sequel, I recommend having a Collectors Edition, an interactive map, achievements, and a way to lock the inventory tray in the up position. I have taken 1/2 points off this game's rating for not having them.

I loved playing this game, I highly recommend it, and give it 2 thumbs up. I rate this game a 9.5 out of 10 and look forward to the sequel.

[End of Review]

posted in Mountain Trap: The Manor of Memories on Mar 13, 13 12:33 AM
[Part 1 of 2]

This is a review of the entire game. I'll start out by saying I thought this game was utterly fantastic! This may have been the best game I have ever played here and I nominate it for Game of the Year! Although I loved the game, let me qualify my comments. Usually, when someone says it's the best game they've played, you expect that the game is innovative or offers something that has not been offered before. That is not the case with this game. Basically, the format, layout, and interface don't offer anything new and the game does not have all the features that some games have. When you first start the game, it will seem like many other games you've played. However, in the old days with arcade video games such as Breakout, Space Invaders, and Missile Command, the expression was: "Easy to Play, but Hard to Master." In other words, those games of the past didn't have great graphics and they were repetitive, but they were a load of fun to play. For me, that is the bottom line of any game. With this game, Mountain Trap: The Manor of Memories, the bottom line for me was that the game was a ton of fun to play and it was very long, and that's what matters the most to me.

Now on to the details. The game has a standard interface with a Diary, Inventory Tray, Task List, and Hint icon. The Hints work both in HOS and the game itself. If you get the game after reading this review, you will have the updated version. There was one bug in the original version, which has now been fixed. I encountered absolutely no bugs or glitches in the updated game and it it performed flawlessly. It filled my 24" widescreen monitor and was not slow for me, but performed very quickly. The graphics were fine and so were the music and sound effects.

[Continued in Part 2]

posted in Shadows: Price for Our Sins on Mar 12, 13 11:49 PM
Hi, Kell.

Did you complete the wine bottle game?

posted in Shadows: Price for Our Sins on Mar 8, 13 1:58 AM
Okay, thanks, Tokoro. I will do that.

posted in Nightmare Realm: In the End... Collector's Edition on Mar 8, 13 1:51 AM
Hi, Vlad.

I posted this in the Technical Issues thread, but I wanted to also post it here to make sure you saw it. I didn't see anyone else post this, so it obvioulsy didn't happen to everyone, but it happened to me. There is a bug in the Bonus chapter. I am guessing here, but I think when you looked in the bushes you had to pick up a branch and a little animal. I picked up the little animal first. Maybe other people picked up the branch first and that's why they didn't encounter the bug. I have been trying to finish this game for a month now. The new bug is listed below:

New Bug In Bonus Chapter:

Unbelievable, but I am reporting another bug. With the original game, I encountered the chessboard bug and couldn't continue the game. Then I got the update, but had to start the game over. This time, the chessboard bug was fixed and I could finish the game. Then guess what happened? There is a bug in the Bonus chapter, so I couldn't finish it.

Here is the bug in the Bonus chapter:

Early in the Bonus chapter, you look in the bushes and give a cookie to a little animal. Then you pick up the animal. Well, I picked it up, but the animal did not go into my inventory. There is a blank box in my inventory where the little animal should be. There is an item to the left and right of the blank box, but no animal. I checked dozens of times and the animal is not still in the bushes and I did not do anything wrong. So, I don't have the animal, even though I picked it up, and I can't power the bubble machine with it, so I can't continue the game.

This is very frustrating. The game needs another update to fix this bug. I already uninstalled and reinstalled the game and it didn't fix it. Hopefully, there will be an update soon.

Thanks.

posted in Nightmare Realm: In the End... Collector's Edition on Mar 8, 13 1:44 AM
Unbelievable, but I am reporting another bug. With the original game, I encountered the chessboard bug and couldn't continue the game. Then I got the update, but had to start the game over. This time, the chessboard bug was fixed and I could finish the game. Then guess what happened? There is a bug in the Bonus chapter, so I couldn't finish it.

Here is the bug in the Bonus chapter:

Early in the Bonus chapter, you look in the bushes and give a cookie to a little animal. Then you pick up the animal. Well, I picked it up, but the animal did not go into my inventory. There is a blank box in my inventory where the little animal should be. There is an item to the left and right of the blank box, but no animal. I checked dozens of times and the animal is not still in the bushes and I did not do anything wrong. So, I don't have the animal, even though I picked it up, and I can't power the bubble machine with it, so I can't continue the game.

This is very frustrating. The game needs another update to fix this bug. I already uninstalled and reinstalled the game and it didn't fix it. Hopefully, there will be an update soon.

Thanks.

posted in Shadows: Price for Our Sins on Mar 6, 13 2:18 AM
Hi, I found another bug in the game. This is the third one I found. These are not technical issues, but bugs in the game.

In the HOS in the attic, you have to find the number 17 that is etched on the top of a chest. I must have clicked on the number 17 on the chest over 100 times and I still can't get it.

Note that the chest is initially locked. I found the key and opened the chest, but couldn't find the number 17 and used a Hint to find it. The point is I wonder if it would have been easier to get the 17, if the chest is not unlocked first. If you don't unlock the chest, the top of the chest does not open and you can keep clicking for the number 17 that is etched on the cover of the chest. Since I unlocked the chest already, whenever I click on the 17, the chest opens. So I have to close the chest and try again and it's very annoying. I haven't been able to complete that HOS and so I can't continue with the game.

This game needs an update badly, especially since as I reported here earlier, the Skip button doesn't work in the puzzles. Please let us know when the update is available.

Thanks.

posted in Shadows: Price for Our Sins on Mar 6, 13 1:16 AM
Well I tried it again and no luck. I could not get the number 17 from the top of the chest. This is a very buggy game that needs an update.

posted in Mountain Trap: The Manor of Memories on Mar 6, 13 1:15 AM
Well, I installed the update, started the game over, and am happy to report the bug is fixed and I was able to complete the game.

As it turns out, the bug occurred about a minute before the end of the game. hahaha

I replayed the game from the beginning and this time, I could leave the room after destroying all 5 of Elizabeth's belongings. But basically, there wasn't much left to do except go into the next room and see the ending cutscene. So I replayed the entire game just so I could see the cutscene. But that's okay because I enjoyed the game.

I'll be posting my review of the game now.

posted in Shadows: Price for Our Sins on Mar 6, 13 12:45 AM
Hi, Kell!

I sent you the link for the Walkthrough as a Private Message (PM).

Also note that I still can't complete the game because of another bug I found with a HOS in the Attic with the number 17 on the chest. There is another thread here with that bug, called Number 17. A very buggy game that needs an update.

posted in Shadows: Price for Our Sins on Mar 4, 13 1:46 AM
Well I finally finished the wine bottle game, but the advice given here did not apply to me. I found a walkthrough that had a picture of the wine bottle puzzle solution.

First, when I put a bottle in the correct position it did NOT become darker or become immovable. If it did that, you could solve the puzzle by process of elimination.

Second, AND THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT BECAUSE NO ONE ELSE MENTIONED IT. It's not just simply a matter of putting the bottles according to color. Yes, you have to use the colors in a certain order according to the color spectrum, but there are numerous bottles with the same color. You have to put the bottles in an EXACT ORDER. And I have no idea how you would know what the order is supposed to be. So, for instance, if there are 3 green bottles, you can't just put them in any order between the yellow and light blue bottles. You have to put the green bottles in an exact order. This applies to all the bottles. Since the bottles do not become darker or lock in place when they are right, there is no way I would have known in what exact order to place the colored bottles without the walkthrough. So, in my opinion a walkthrough is definitely needed to solve this puzzle. This is not a user-friendly puzzle, but a user-hostile puzzle, especially since the Skip button is buggy and you can't skip the puzzle. What could be more user-unfriendly than that?

posted in Mountain Trap: The Manor of Memories on Mar 4, 13 1:36 AM
Okay, I uninstalled and then reinstalled the updated game, but still can't leave the room. I don't mind starting the game over because I loved the game. I just want to make sure if I restart it, I'll be able to finish it with the updated version.

Thanks.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator