Posts created by nontechiegrannie

posted in Phantasmat: Town of Lost Hope Collector's Edition on Apr 7, 16 12:37 PM
Rehashed story about folks getting lost & ending up at a creepy place such as a gas station or sometimes a motel where a deranged serial killer is waiting to kidnap his next victim.

Graphics are dark, and the scenery is dirty, run down & just plain icky. Characters are the usual cartoon types. They are one dimensional & no way realistic. As Rhysdux said: almost all the puzzles were heavily mechanical--the kind of thing I need to skip automatically & I can't agree more. The HOS were okay with some interaction.

Hint button takes you to the next scene so I never used the map. Never did see any collectibles/morphing items. Have no idea what they are. It would be nice if one of those infernal pop-ups gave you a clue as what to look for!!

All in all just not an impressive game. It's just another ho hum offering. I'm considering buying the SE but am still on the fence. Try before you buy & see if your up to tangling with Freaky Freddy!!

posted in Cadenza: Havana Nights Collector's Edition on Mar 19, 16 12:22 PM
Finally GREAT graphics & realistic looking characters with better than usual mouth movements.

Rehashed storyline about something that happened in the past & now people are being possessed by someone in the past with a vendetta & killing other people.

Music is repetitious/boring & the guitar playing/music is sub-par. HOS are interactive & varied. Puzzles are nice but not anything special. Jump map is handy. You can put the hint/skip button down to 15 sec which I especially appreciate.

PDL (Pure Dumb Luck) as always found me a couple of collectibles/morphing objects. I just don't see any value in them for game playing.

Despite being rehashed the plot moves along nicely & I am considering buying the SE version if one comes out.

Oh my, another storyline with something sinister happening in the past that releases malevolent ghosts. The ghosts are now wrecking havoc with the current generation. Bring on the runes & track down those ghosties!!

Same old rehashed storyline with the same old flat, dreary blue amateurish graphics. How many times do I have to ask that someone buy the graphics people a new box of crayons???

Music is dreadful, characters are wooden & one dimensional. Mouth movements are all over the place.

HOGS are interactive & somewhat interesting. The puzzles are varied with some that are very easy & the others are so so.

Just can't seem to garner any enthusiasm for this run of the mill game.

posted in World's Greatest Temples Mahjong 2 on Mar 9, 16 10:27 AM
Not a bad game, at least it's not boring. Music a little repetitious so I turned it way down. Graphics & tiles are colorful & easy too read but I just didn't care for the 2 "math" levels. Math is not my forte. I guess that I'm just too old/lazy to take off my shoes & mittens to be able to count to 20 & complete the levels!!!!!

For the above reason it's a no buy for me but great for those without math issues.

posted in Mahjong Museum Mystery on Mar 7, 16 12:22 PM
A VERY basic mahjong game where you are in a museum & travel through various exhibits. Each exhibit has 15 levels of play before you move on to the next exhibit. No voiceovers just some reading now & again. Cartoonish graphics with bright colors. You cannot mute the sound or music, just turn it off. Didn't care for the music & the sound it made when you removed a gold tile got annoying very quickly.

You are told when there are no more matches available & can use the power up button. It was quite helpful & I won every level without having to play anyone more than once.

As I said the game is basic/entry level & I would only recommend it to someone who is just learning as it can become tedious & boring quickly.

posted in Mysteries of the Past: Shadow of the Daemon on Feb 19, 16 7:14 PM
ANOTHER rehashed storyline about spirits kidnapping people. Excuse me while I yawn & try not to doze off!

Colors were brighter while the graphics still need a lot of fine tuning. Same wooden characters without realism or lip movement.

HOPA were fun/interactive BUT the hint button was a disaster. I had to go into the "forum" to see how others solved the ladder quandary. Puzzles were simple enough.

Didn't try the map as the hint button did transport you to the next location.

Just not a fun or entertaining game. Try the demo before you go all the way into this shadow.

I beta tested this game. I didn't like it then & after playing the demo like it even less.

Tedious, boring, storyline with continuity being lost due to endless/unnecessary back & forth.

Graphics are of the intermediate art student variety. Characters are wooden without realism & the mouth movements are not in sync with what is being said.

HOGS are messy junk piles but are interactive. Puzzles were easy & some of them were just silly, with the cleaning the mirror as a prime example.

I was able to snag quite a few of the collectibles & even some of the morphing objects....yea team!

The music was the usual fare & with the hint button you are able to jump to the next screen so I never looked at the map.

This dreary game is a definite NO buy for me. Give the demo a whirl & see if this estate is one you really want to visit.

I also found cleaning the silly mirror more tedious & time consuming then it should of been. The puzzles should be fun, this one was just overly annoying!!

posted in Danse Macabre: Lethal Letters Collector's Edition on Feb 11, 16 11:13 AM

I really enjoy this series. (One of the very FEW series)

Storyline was good & moved along nicely. Characters were a little wooden, as usual, but had nice facial expressions & mouth movements. The VO were nicely done.

The music was the usual fare & the graphics had nice color & some realism.

Never was told and/or found any collectibles. Have no idea what I was suppose to be looking for.

The HOS was the usual junk pile with some interactive play, nothing special. The puzzles on the other hand were dreadful. Of all the ones in the demo I only liked/played two of them.

The map was utterly useless. Green light to show you where you were but nothing to show you where to go next. I never did see the symbol in the legend for where to go next.

A definite buy but I'll wait for the SE as I don't need/want the extraneous extras that come with a CE.

I recommend this game!

Have to agree with Flissa2. This is the first game I have even considered buying in several weeks. There has been so much of the rehashed stories of ghosts, goblins, evil spirits, other worlds etc. that I thought that I would not be able to find another game to buy.

posted in Solitaire 220 Plus on Jan 27, 16 5:51 PM
I was excited to try a new solitaire game until I downloaded it. I pressed play & got this error message. "Cannot find import; DLL may be missing, corrupt or wrong version. FileX3DAudio1_7.dll". Whatever this gobbledegook means. Why can't these games just be installed correctly the first time?????

posted in The Far Kingdoms: Sacred Grove Solitaire on Dec 30, 15 11:22 AM
Rehashed but pleasant solitaire game.

After playing several solitaire games with a similar storyline I was underwhelmed. Give the demo a whirl & see for yourself it this game is a new/exciting adventure for you.

posted in Phantasmat: Behind the Mask Collector's Edition on Dec 17, 15 4:11 PM
To me this is just another rehashed game with ghostly family members who aren't what they seem to be....Really?

There is nothing challenging about this game & I didn't find the atmosphere all that creepy.

Storyline is not compelling or engaging, just tedious.

Music/VO are just ok, not especially interesting.

Same old murky, muddy colored graphics. Don't the devs get any other color crayons but blue?? I thought the cut scene graphics were poorly done.

Characters are wooden with strange mouth movements. How come realism is always lacking?

Surprisingly the HOG & mini puzzles were better than average. Too bad the same can't be said about the game itself.

Didn't see any collectibles after the first one & never saw any morphing objects except in the one HOG. As I have said before, these things do not add anything substantial to the game play & aren't worth paying more for the game.

Still had 22 minutes left after I finished the demo & really can't find any reason to continue on or even care what is behind the mask

posted in Secret of the Pendulum on Dec 15, 15 11:55 AM
I connect up the 3 wires & try to get into the inventory box for the breaker lever but the box doesn't open/pop-up. I can't even get the skip button to work or even get out of the scene. I have to hit the quit button to end the game or be stuck forever with this puzzle that goes nowhere. What Gives!!!!!!!!!

posted in Final Cut: Fade to Black Collector's Edition on Dec 5, 15 12:21 PM
Love this series. Being a girl of the 1950's I'm sorry to see it finish. Now, I guess, it's back to all of the sci-fi, other worldly spirits, ghosts & don't forget vampires & silly monsters etc.

Usual uninteresting graphics with muddy colors that could be a lot cleaner & crisper. The characters were quite nice & seemed more lifelike than usual. VO were spot on. Music was better than usual. Story flowed quite nicely. HOS were varied & interactive. The mini puzzles were also varied & better than the usual tripe that is presented.

I always like it when there is a custom mode & the hint button also transports. I did find 6 masks as they were pretty obvious when I remembered to look for them. As always I found 2 or 3 morphing objects quite by accident. Finding them is just not a big priority for me. Never did look at the map or SG.

Give the demo a try before everything "Fades to Black".

posted in Christmas Stories: Puss in Boots Collector's Edition on Dec 4, 15 12:02 PM
I started out really liking this game. BUT then I started playing it & immediately became befuddled at the game play. I may be a gray haired old grannie but the game play just did not make any sense to me.

For example: I clicked on the magnifying glass & nothing happened. I then ended up clicking all around the scenes to find whatever it was that needed to be done. It just seemed quite strange to me. There just did not seem to be any rhyme or reason as how one found objects.

I got into the museum & needed to find differences...huh???? It all looked the same to me. I clicked on the SG & it showed 6 things circled in green & these were supposedly the differences. SO I clicked on them & guess what nothing happened. The hint button circled the table in the middle of the scene. SO I clicked on that. Again nothing happened. Needless to say I quickly exited the game as my blood pressure did not need to be raised anymore.

Everyone else has glowing reviews. What did I miss????

posted in Red Riding Hood: Star-Crossed Lovers on Nov 30, 15 7:46 AM
I'm having the same problem. Game downloaded but when I hit play I got the corrupt file message. The Direct X message also popped up but I ignored it. Didn't want to accidently put a virus on my computer. Even though the message looked legit you never know.

I REFUSE to run a diagnostic or do any of the other "nonsense" that the moderators suggest. I am glad that I was a child before technology!!!!! If you make something that doesn't work why does the consumer have to fix it??????

posted in Solitaire Stories: The Quest for Seeta on Nov 23, 15 2:29 PM
Agree with sapphire & joyce2121.

Have to agree with the negative reviews.

Just cannot see the good in this game that others seem too see. This game is tedious & boring. The storyline just gets lamer as the game goes on.

Rehashed storyline with those silly mechanical beasts. Same old hideous blue/murky graphics with characters that are one dimensional & look like they were drawn by first year art students.

VO/music ok. Hated the "find the fragmented pieces" HOS. Where's a good old messy junk pile when you need one??? Mini puzzles were nothing to write home about!!

Looked at the map but it was sketchy & didn't seem to be helpful. The hint button transported you which is fine with me.

All in all just can't seem to find the "greatness" others found. Definitely try before you buy & see if you find any "gold in them locks"!!!

posted in Haunted Hotel: The X Collector's Edition on Nov 12, 15 10:39 AM
I was prepared not to like this game as it is another rehashed "haunted house" type of game. Along with a creepy little girl, lots of dripping blood & the requisite spiders, cobwebs & layers of dust everywhere I found the storyline a bit predictable. But I soldiered on & found it somewhat entertaining. Definitely NOT 5 star over the moon worthy.

Graphics fit the theme. Characters were cartoonish but the VO seemed adequate. Music was repetitious. You would think that with all the music that is available in this day & age they would found some that is more fitting to the games.

I actually enjoyed the mini-puzzles. The HOS were the usual messy, junk piles along with match 6 sets of objects & 1 silhouette.

Found some of the morphing objects & collectibles. I still don't see the relevance of these tasks. They do not seem to add anything to the game play. There is also a map & SG that I did not use. I'll wait for the SE before deciding to buy.

I love the custom setting option so that I can put the hint/skip button on 10 seconds. It makes the game go so much smoother & faster!!

So try the demo for yourself & see if this haunted hotel is one that you want to check into.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator