Posts created by ShaunaPSmith

posted in Timeless: The Lost Castle on Sep 30, 14 8:45 PM
LOVE LOVE LOVE this one! It was a great length (standard edition), which means it was hard enough for me not to breeze through it. I didn't care about the storyline, but I never do. What it lacked in high-techie-ness, it made up for in awesome mini-games and challenging puzzles. Just right for me!!

I found a great walk-thru for this game at www. g a m e z e b o .com.

Blah. Way, WAY, too easy...at least as far as the mini games go. I did find myself using a hint now and then because I didn't find all of the steps to be logical. This is one of those I called "clicky". If you click enough on everything you will eventually finish. But I don't like doing that. I don't like games with Achievements. I do like games that allow you to play the mini games again once you complete the Bonus Chapter. But unfortunately, these games are not fun enough to want to play again and again. I'll pass it off to my 11 year old.

Here's a tip for game makers. If you go to the trouble of creating a beautiful scene that challenges us to track down missing elements, etc. DON'T just have the point of it all be opening up a secret door. If I've collected all the elements for some elaborate contraption, I want to have to DO something with it. A puzzle perhaps? It's aggravating to be expecting something cool to happen and then nothing cool happens. Boo.

I just finished this game (and came here to write my review, which isn't great). You're shown the constellation that you're supposed to copy, and then you click on a star and then click on another star that you want it to connect to and it should draw a line between them. Then click on that star again and the next star to form another line. I didn't have any trouble connecting the lines. This was one of the more challenging mini-games. I didn't find the majority of them to be hard enough, and I didn't think there were enough of them. Felt kinda bleh about the whole game.

posted in Azada: Elementa on Sep 10, 14 12:45 PM
By far, one of the best games I've played! And I only played the SE version! It was super long and very satisfying. I tried playing it on the most difficult level, because I like it really hard. But I had to change to an easier level to get a few hints. The most difficult level doesn't give you any information on what you click on. And the cursor doesn't change to indicate an action is needed. That made it super hard for me. I even felt challenged by the mini-games. Love that! And some mini-games had 3 levels to complete so you really feel like you've had enough. This was the best $4.99 I've spent. If you like them hard, go for this one!

posted in Sable Maze: Forbidden Garden on Sep 7, 14 1:17 AM
I played the SE version. Only paid $4.99 and it was a good deal. It's of course a pretty game. Had some fun challenges in it. It had the option to switch from an HOP to a matching blocks game. Those are fun. I usually will find all the objects up to the last one then switch to the matching game. I feel like I get twice the game play out of it that way.

I've yet to have any technical difficulties with any Big Fish games I've played. I keep reading that there are lots of technical issues. I haven't had any.

posted in Witches' Legacy: Hunter and the Hunted on Sep 7, 14 1:12 AM
This game, like other SE's I've played recently, was far too short. Finished in a day. But it did have some fun challenging puzzles (mini-games, specifically). I couldn't tell you at all what the story line was, but I go for difficulty, not story. It was okay for the $4.99 I paid. I like when HOP's have a different puzzle option, like matching blocks or a matching card game. This one had a fun matching card game. I liked it.

posted in Lost Legends: The Weeping Woman on Sep 1, 14 11:15 PM
This game is one of the prettiest I've played! The graphics are stunningly beautiful. I loved the theme, aside from it being another kidnapped children story. I just love that Mexican dead stuff. The mini games were at time challenging enough for me (I like them really harder than this) but it was WAY TOO SHORT. I played the SE. I thought it was worth the $4.99 I paid.

posted in Sable Maze: Sullivan River Collector's Edition on Aug 27, 14 12:33 PM
Uggh...I just want a game to be really hard (if you choose the Hard option). This one has some "okay" mini-games, but they seem to get easier and easier as the game plays on. It's like they start out strong and give you some challenges, and then it peters out into just dismal blah. It's pretty enough I guess. But as for challenges, I seriously just clicked on puzzles once or twice and they were solved. Not my favorite thing.

I'm actually getting a little over the whole "abducted kids" theme that seems to be so prominent in these types of HOP games. Maybe that's the mom in me. I'd like to see a game that is truly gruesome and scary (made for adults only). But otherwise, I'd like to stick to something less about child abduction.

posted in Rite of Passage: The Perfect Show on Aug 11, 14 11:10 PM
Never mind!!! I just figured it out.

posted in Rite of Passage: The Perfect Show on Aug 11, 14 11:09 PM
If anyone can provide tips on solving these rotating photographs in the cemetery puzzle, I would be greatly appreciative. I read the walk-through and it mentions something about changing the odd-one-out to a different photograph and then rotating that row and then back to the original photograph, but that isn't doing anything. I always have the same problem with these types of rotating puzzles. I always end up with the same thing...one square not in sync. And you would think as many times as I've clicked to rotate each column and row that I would stumble upon the solution at least once. But I cannot figure it out. I handle all these difficult puzzles with ease, but this kind makes me crazy!!

Thanks for any helpful tips. I really don't want to skip the puzzle.

I'm starting to feel like a broken record on my reviews. I haven't played a game that has hard enough mini-puzzles. I play every game on the hardest difficulty level, and this game was actually tough at times just figuring out what to do next. I like that, but when it came down to mini games, it stunk just like most games I've played lately. Most were just too easy, and I mean like "click click oops I solved it without having any idea why". The one puzzle/game that was really hard was so vague that I still have no idea how it was solved even after following the solution in the strategy guide (it's the game with the rotating symbols of red, green, blue and yellow). If anyone can explain this solution to me, please message me.

Pretty enough, but not hard enough.

posted in Grim Tales: The Vengeance Collector's Edition on Jul 29, 14 9:40 AM
BLEH!!!! I play these HOP games mostly for the mini games and the ones in this game stink. And there were at least two that I had just played in one of the other series games that were identical. Can't they get more creative? And I'm so sick of having to collect amulets in order to open something. Come up with something else! I found this game to be totally boring, and confusing. Couldn't care less about the story. I'm glad I got a free game with my purchase of this or I'd be asking for a refund.

posted in Grim Tales: The Bride Collector's Edition on Jul 9, 14 3:08 PM
Wow, has no one reviewed this game in 3 years?? This was one of my recent favorites to play. The mini puzzles ROCKED. Not that they were all very hard, but some were just wonderfully puzzling. I like them hard. Overall the HOP's were too easy. I get bored with those. But the graphics are good and I had no technical difficulties. And it felt like a really good LONG game. Even the Bonus Chapter seemed quite long. I always play games on the hardest setting, for what it's worth.

I look forward to trying more from Grim Tales!

P.S. If anyone has a tip for solving the puzzle that occurs right before the end of the regular game (the rotating emblems) please share. I had to get my brainy 14 year old nephew to finish it.

posted in Hidden Expedition ® - Devil's Triangle on Jun 26, 14 9:38 AM
I may be the slowest person to discover this game, but I LOVED IT. These are the kind of hard challenges that I've been looking for! You can't just click your way through this one! Where's the follow up??

One more thing...I never saw a Map in this game. Did I just miss it?? I usually like using an interactive map, but it never came up for me. And yet I still finished it super fast. I never had any technical glitches. I didn't try the Hint button. I don't find it necessary when there's a strategy guide to use. I did reference that a couple of times just to keep it moving. It's easy to miss an item along the way. I think I only found about 26 shoes.

I must be the only one who wants the mini-games to be HARDER. I finished this game (minus the bonus chapter) in one evening. Only a couple of the mini-games were challenging to me. My kids could do this. Most of the games were just "click-click-click, you're done". The games I liked were sliding games. The graphics are really nice and the story was all right. I did enjoy how they changed up the HOP's but it didn't make it harder, just different.

Can anyone recommend a game (like the old Myst series) that is really HARD?

Thanks.

I just finished playing through the CE and the Bonus Chapter. After reading so many great reviews of this game, I hesitate to say "meh". It was okay. The game without the Bonus Chapter is SO SHORT. It literally took me just an evening to complete. I did use the Strategy Guide for assistance maybe twice. But it was just too easy. If you really want to get anything out of it, at least play through the Bonus Chapter.

posted in Midnight Mysteries 3: Devil on the Mississippi on Apr 21, 14 10:44 AM
What the heck was that ending?? Super confusing. The storyline in this was very convoluted for me. But I liked the puzzles and games. There were some really good challenges in it. But it jumped around so much that I couldn't possibly keep track. And then when I thought I had more to do, it ended. Weird. Worth playing, but not worth paying much for.

posted in Dark Dimensions: City of Fog Collector's Edition on Apr 18, 14 7:45 PM
Darn. Sorry to see this post. Was hoping for a solution. It just doesn't make any sense. Why don't I win if there are more of mine and nowhere else to move??

posted in Dark Dimensions: Somber Song Collector's Edition on Apr 13, 14 4:57 PM
I'm so glad this topic already exists. I was so frustrated when I discovered the wrong information on the game and the helpful photo. I have now solved the puzzle twice...once with the walk-thru and once just by accident. I believe that in both instances, all the inner square candles WERE lit. I tried it with just 11 and I tried it with just 10, but without knowing which 10 you were supposed to have lit, it would've taken forever. Luckily, I solved it without having to try every scenario. Bummer. I wish the game makers would chime in and let us know why the discrepancy. I think it's just a glitch. Otherwise, I am enjoying this game and find some of the mini-games to be good and hard.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator