Posts created by Catnipper

posted in Titanic's Keys to the Past on Jul 22, 13 11:22 PM
It turns the sound on and off.

posted in Delaware St. John: The Town with No Name on Feb 4, 13 7:09 PM
I LOVE good, old-fashioned adventure games. Long before HOGs came along, I spent hours on my non-Internet connected desktop computer playing these games which I bought at the computer store for about $60 a pop. You'd get a box covered with pictures of scenes from the game, some floppys (eventually CDs and then DVDs) an instruction book or two on how to install and how to play, sometimes a map or poster. Unless you spent an extra $15 to $20 on a strategy book, you were on your own. Some of the games were so beautiful and I just loved exploring and interacting at my own pace.

As soon as I finished the demo, I purchased this game. I also have DSJ: The Curse of Midnight Manor and I'm also going to purchase DSJ:The Seacliff Tragedy. As soon as I figure out which is the first, second and third, I'm going to spend glorious winter weeks playing them in order.

HOGs, hint systems and linear games are nice for when you want to relax and don't want to think, but I love the challenge of a true, old-timey adventure game.

posted in Delaware St. John - The Curse of Midnight Manor on Nov 1, 12 8:20 PM
Melikamiki, thank you so much for taking the time to write your beautiful homage to adventure games. It brought me right back to the days when I had a desktop, no Internet, and spent all my money on books or games. My love for books is the reason I so enjoy adventure games. As you said you immerse yourself in the story and the environment, just as in a book. You can explore and investigate with no time limits and thoroughly enjoy yourself with no pressure to "win."

Back then, I'd pay $50-$60 for a big box covered in colorful screenshots and very little inside save for a floppy, later CDs, instruction booklet and sometimes maps or posters. I couldn't wait to get home and immerse myself in strange lands or planets and explore and adventure as another character.

When I first discovered BF I was excited to have access to games, but I was put off because it all seemed to be hidden object games which were not as engaging as being carried off by a good interactive story. So it was a few years before I reinvestigated and joined BF when I found there were some other types of games.

Since then I've come to appreciate HO and M3 games at times when I want to take a break and not tax my brain. But my first love will always be the adventure game.

Thank you for your evocative and well-written, nostalgic trip down memory lane.

I just bought this game. At $2.99 it's a steal!

posted in Redemption Cemetery: Curse of the Raven on Sep 16, 11 11:27 PM
Oops! I went through the walkthrough to see if there were anything I missed (I try not to use WTs unless I'm stuck). For some reason, the illustration in the WT led me to believe the tweezers were beside the ladder, but I found I was supposed to open a box on the bureau in the bedroom using the ring--which I didn't have when I first looked at the box. The box contained the tweezers and all is well.

posted in Redemption Cemetery: Curse of the Raven on Sep 16, 11 10:38 PM
I fed the fish his sausage, got the soldier, but there is no tweezer by the ladder. I've looked and looked, but it's just not there. I can't go any further. Is there really supposed to be a tweezer by the ladder? I've looked all over the library for it, but nothing. Can anybody help? Thanks.

posted in Puppy Sanctuary on Jun 15, 11 10:39 PM
peglegann wrote:A lot of you know that we lost our cat Tilly on 12th. May.
Her brother has now stopped eating He is only 14 months old!
My DS is on the way to the vets as I write
Sorry, just wanted to share.......................................................

PegLegAnn, I'm so sorry to hear about Tilly. I know how hard it is to lose a pet. Kitties often go through periods of refusing food when they are upset. Just keep an eye on him, but I'm sure he'll start eating again soon. Loss and loneliness are hard for both people and pets. Getting a new kitty is a good suggestion, but wait until you are both ready. I'm praying for you both.

posted in Puppy Sanctuary on Jun 15, 11 7:49 AM
Cherb, I so enjoyed your beautiful artwork. I especially appreciated your adding the kitty in response to comments and including the minnow in the whale shark. You have a great sense of humor.

I have so many adventure and IHOG games I haven't played yet that I'm not too disappointed on days when there are no new ones. Saves me money.

I'd never played Match 3s except when they came up in as puzzles in other games. At first I couldn't understand either the directions or the gameplay and was completely flummoxed. But after being confronted with quite a few of them and no skip button, I finally figured them out and rather enjoyed a few.

That's why I loved Dreams of a Geisha when I received it as a Beta (my first Beta). Unlike others, you can reshuffle and you can play in untimed mode, so you never have to get stuck and start over. I think it's a great game for newbies to learn M3s. I found the graphics to be perfect eye candy and the game very enjoyable and relaxing. So I'm going to try Puppy Sanctuary. This will be only the second time I've ever downloaded a M3.

I had to download it last night between 2 to 7AM or HUGHES.NET (satellite) would punish me for 24 hours by slowing down my DL speed. I sure miss cable--but I guess I should be grateful I can get Internet at all out here in the boonies where I can't even get a cell phone signal.

posted in Diamon Jones: Devil's Contract on Apr 27, 11 9:31 AM
Stevie, you asked how to add the emoticons.

When you are in the Reply box, above it are icons for Bold, Italic, Underline, Text Size, Text Color, Emoticons and Quote.

Hope this helps you blossom.

posted in Diamon Jones: Devil's Contract on Apr 27, 11 1:49 AM
Spoilers.

Oh, dear. I hate to write a negative review, but I had to quit the demo with 41 minutes left to play--and I forced myself to play that far. Not only did the "hero" look like an idiot, but he acted like one. Everything about this game annoyed me.

After a fire breaks out in the restaurant, you have to find pieces of a very strange fire extinguisher; then putting it together was the first puzzle. At least there's a skip button. There's an outline of the extinguisher, but you have no way of knowing if you put the pieces in the right place, so when you're finished and nothing happens, you can assume something's wrong. I gave up and skipped.

So next the fire engine arrives with one decrepit firefighter. What's the first thing you do? Why find a hearing aid for the FF.

The objects you have to find are grayed out and hard to identify. As you find them, they appear in inventory in color and you have to figure out what to do with them. The FF instructed the hero to attach the hose to the hydrant.

A hose appeared in inventory and I searched all over for it before I realized it wasn't grayed out so it was really in inventory. So I picked it up and put it on the hydrant and was told I have to open the hydrant first. How do you open the hydrant? Why, with a brick, of course.

I was ready to quit then, but gamely went on to search for the rest of the hose and then played a minigame of squirting water at the fire to put it out. Then I quit.

No buy for me. I wouldn't even play it if it were free.

posted in Scratches Director's Cut on Apr 22, 11 6:54 PM
I had to search for another walkthrough for this game. First, it answered the question I had about whether to start with Scratches Director's Cut or Scratches (Last Visit? I keep forgetting the name.).

Also, the directions were much more clear. I'm enjoying the game now that I have a better grip on it.

For the people who are having trouble with the game options, I found that turning off the slideshow mode and the alternate control made the 360 very controllable. No more whirling around with every move of the cursor. Much more like a normal game.

With the slideshow on, I felt like I was missing things in the room and it was so clunky. I also adjusted the gamma to high. I like scary, but just as in a film, I hate action that takes place in the dark so I can't see anything.

If the inventory items were labeled, this game would be close to perfect.

posted in Chronicles of Mystery: Tree of Life on Apr 22, 11 12:51 PM
Thanks, Mcurty. I'd been meaning to check out the Chit Chat Corner to find out what was there. So, thanks to your suggestion I checked it out and enjoyed myself. Now I've got to start Scratches.

After Tree of Life, I couldn't face another tough challenge involving walkthroughs. So I finished two IHOGS I'd been playing intermittently when I wanted to relax. Now it's time for an interesting and scary (I hope) LFA.

posted in Scratches Director's Cut on Apr 22, 11 12:03 PM
I so agree with you, Nada and Tadpoles. I love adventure games because I love to read and explore. I don't want timers and rushing through nor do I want my hand held. Adventure games are to be lived--just like a good book.

I haven't played Scratches yet. I did the demo and bought it when it first came out. Now it's time to play.

But the first thing I saw after the options menu was a choice between playing Scratches Director's Cut or Scratches (something else). I thought I'd come to the forums to find out what that was about so I make the right choice. Now I'm going to glance at the walkthrough to see if that's explained.

posted in Chronicles of Mystery: Tree of Life on Apr 21, 11 7:37 PM
Wow, Mcurty, a soul mate. I'm glad I wasn't just imagining things. It really wasn't made clear, but from the rather strong hints, I can't imagine what else it could be.

This is what I love about Big Fish. Aside from the fantastic games and excellent and responsive customer service, the people in the forums are so friendly, helpful, enthusiastic and articulate. I'm beginning to think gamers are the best educated and nicest people on the web.

And it's wonderful to see such a diverse community of both young and old united in their passion for gaming.

posted in Chronicles of Mystery: Tree of Life on Apr 21, 11 6:46 PM
This game was great! Like the best of adventure games, it was like reading a book or being told a story. It reminded me of the days when I had no internet and used to buy games on floppys or CDs at $40-$60.

There were some drawbacks: I don't believe anyone could possibly have figured out all the moves without the help of the walkthrough. Even the walkthrough wasn't always detailed enough and I used two others besides the BF one. I had a lot of do overs because things weren't so clear.

But the story was worth it. It was a great story and great game.

Here comes the spoiler:

From the dialogue at the end, I wondered if the count/Omega was really Capt. Briggs.

Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

posted in Chronicles of Mystery: Tree of Life on Apr 19, 11 10:59 AM
Well, I finally finished my tax forms and got back to the game. I had no problem leaving Venice and no further problems with any cut scenes.

posted in Chronicles of Mystery: Tree of Life on Apr 14, 11 8:35 PM
Mcurty, the Cut Scenes were listed on the Main Menu, along with Options, Save Game, Resume, Credits, etc. I clicked on Cut Scenes, instead of Exit Game as I'd originally intended. After the scene played, the glitchy scene with the gondolier restarted and played through.

I was so happy I didn't have to put the game in storage and then start over again months from now--especially since the slider puzzle came right before that scene and I wouldn't like to have to go through those hundred moves again.

posted in Chronicles of Mystery: Tree of Life on Apr 14, 11 2:11 PM
I see many people are having the same problem I had. I was talking to the gondolier and when he was supposed to give me the chronometer, the scene stopped and I could do nothing further.

As I was about to quit and add this game to my little pile of 'unable to finish' games, I noticed the Cut Scenes option and decided to try it. I clicked on the last cut scene available (which was my flight to Venice) and after it finished playing, I heard myself talking to the gondolier. So I clicked on "Resume" and the scene with the gondolier played all the way through this time and I received the chronometer.

I hope this helps those who've had problems with this scene and others, such as getting the toner, etc. I know how very frustrating it is being unable to finish because of a glitch (or an IMPOSSIBLE puzzle).

posted in Blue Madonna: A Carol Reed Story on Mar 31, 11 11:59 AM
Yes, the walkthrough has quite a few errors. I don't mind the wrong directions so much because I like to explore (except when I'm returning for the third or fourth time), but the wrong combination to locks is driving me spare. Right now I'm trying every permutation to find the correct combination to open the four-lock door in the nylon factory.

posted in Hallowed Legends: Samhain Collector's Edition on Mar 22, 11 2:25 AM
Oh, I found the nails on the sign outside the hut. That's what I get for trying to play without the strategy guide.

posted in Hallowed Legends: Samhain Collector's Edition on Mar 20, 11 9:57 PM
I'm trying to fix the boat also. I have the heated resin, the boards and the hammer, but no nails. I must have missed them somewhere. Where do I find the nails? I have no idea. I stopped playing for a few days, and I don't recall any nails.

Please help.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator