Posts created by jazzboogie

Poodlebear wrote:I used the work around quoted below, changing to easiest setting and hitting hint, and it worked for me like a charm. Thanks!

spikescajunmom wrote:I too had the problem with the freezing scene in the car same as other posters. I'm running Windows 8. After going out of the game and restarting several times, I got back into the Menu, changed my difficulty to the lowest (I was using highest), then went into car scene where my one coin was still uncovered and pressed Hint. It showed where the other coin was and even let me pick up the record. Didn't like to do that because I like to complete a game without any hints or skips, but it worked so I can move on.

Unfortunately, this workaround did not work for me because I was already playing the game at the lowest difficulty setting ('Casual Hunter') - incidentally, changing that setting to any level hasn't worked at all. Hoping to see a real fix soon!

Poodlebear wrote:
jojo3983 wrote:using windows 8. got into the car and the game freezes. The music still playing but won't let me out of the car. I am clicking on try to find the pairs.

EXACTLY the same issue for me at the same spot. I had gotten to last group of pairs - coins. I can move my cursor but nothing happens, clicking does nothing, can't exit or use hint or strategy guide. Using Windows 7 Home Premium.

Playing in 'Casual Hunter' mode, I am also having the same issue after revealing the first coin. The game comes to a complete standstill after the first click at exactly this point and I can't click on anything - not the items in the HOP, nor the 'Hint' button, strategy guide, map, or 'Menu' button.

PC and game restarts don't solve the issue, and I have to force-close the game through Task Manager to stop it. Edited this post to add that I just restarted the game and tried clicking the 'Hint' button right away, then clicked on the second coin location, and the vinyl record appeared but could not be clicked on to add it to my inventory. The game froze again and required a complete restart. Again, the record appeared, but I could not click on it, although at least I was able to click the 'Menu' button to exit the game normally.

Since I've now been playing for about four hours and spent $19.99 on the game - not a minor investment of my time or cash - I am pretty furious right now. At least I'm glad I'm the first person in my household - all loyal Big Fish customers and rabid MCF players since Huntsville - to discover this frustrating glitch before they got to it so I could warn them to stop playing until it's fixed.

PC specs: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, DirectX 11, more than enough CPU and RAM for this title, NVIDIA GeForce GT G525M (latest driver installed today), Flash, etc., up to date.

posted in Mystery Case Files®: Shadow Lake Collector's Edition on Dec 25, 12 6:28 PM
Thanks for the extra HOG scenes - they're a welcome surprise! Am I missing something, however?

**SPOILER ALERT - highlight below**

All I ended up with was an MCF badge and text that flashes on the screen and says, to paraphrase, "You are a GOLD Master Detective!" No clues to the next game, scintillating MCF secrets, nothing, nada, nyet. Color me confused.

As the great Leiber and Stoller once asked, is that all there is?

posted in Penny Dreadfuls: Sweeney Todd Collector`s Edition on Jan 24, 10 4:18 PM
Thtat's exactly why I decided not to buy the CE version, and am grateful others have posted their experiences so the rest of us fishies can make up our minds.

There are a few game developers that consistently issue quality games that I love - Big Fish being one of them - and I will buy the CEs or purchase the games directly from the developers' websites at full price to support them. I remember when the $19.99 price per game was the norm at many game websites, and when Big Fish had a tiered membership plan (mine was the $7.99 a month deal). So, I feel spoiled and privileged with our $6.99 a month memberships to play the full version of most games - about the same cost of an In-N-Out run, which my waistline certainly doesn't need!

posted in Penny Dreadfuls: Sweeney Todd Collector`s Edition on Jan 24, 10 4:05 PM
I'm not sure exactly when the regular version will be available, but have noticed that they usually come out a few weeks after the CEs. By this logic, we'll probably get it in the next month. ::waits patiently twiddling thumbs ::

posted in The Fall Trilogy: Chapter 1 on Jan 15, 10 11:06 PM
~~~ The Fall Trilogy: Chapter 1 - A Review ~~~

The game is the first in a series of three games that (likely - we'll see what the sequel brings) tell the story of a man who is trapped and trying to reunite with his family. In this chapter, he's stuck in a mysterious ancient temple with only one way out. In this way, the game almost falls into the category of so-called escape-the-room games, only much more sophisticated.

Big Fish categorizes this game in the HOG genre, but it's really more of an adventure title. There are none of the typical scenes where a list of items is given and the player must find the items within the scene. Instead, the player receives tasks and has to find specific items which may be located in a number of rooms and solve puzzles to go on to the next step. The one-hour trial offers a decent overview of this gameplay format.

Now, onwards to the Clint Eastwood portion of the review - the good, the bad, and the annoying:

The Good

Luscious graphics.. It's refreshing to see a game besides those in the MCF and HE series with smooth, realistic, colorful backgrounds and beautifully rendered animation. Some rooms can be viewed in 360 degrees.

Soothing soundscape. Music, narration (which was quite funny at times), and sound effects are gentle and appropriate to what they convey.

Extensive hint system. Includes three types of hints: puzzle-skippin', hidden-object-findin', and clues to task-solvin'.

The Bad

It's not intuitive. I found myself wondering how to progress at times. As with most adventure titles, the next step should never be obvious; however, some parts of the game require the player to click on an area more than once in order to move on.

H0-hum puzzles. Nothing new here - same type of mini-puzzles found in most HOGs, and one type actually appeared twice.

Unclear storyline. Okay, I get it: the game is part of a trilogy, and the narrator is an amnesiac. Still, it would have been nice to have more of the story developed and an idea of just who this mystery dude is. Also, there are a few too many similarities to Indiana Jones - I couldn't stop thinking about Harrison Ford (not that I minded. Wink.)

The Annoying

Chatty Cathy. There's no way to turn the narration off or fast-forward through it.

It's short. I finished the game in 4.5 (pleasant) hours.

The Bottom Line: Worth the $6.99.

posted in The Fall Trilogy: Chapter 1 on Jan 15, 10 10:00 PM
It is called The Fall Trilogy: Chapter 1 on Big Fish, the game producer's website, and last but not least, on the title/opening page of the game itself. HTH.

Regarding the omega symbol and the theory that the next installment of MCF may be the last in the series: If you go to the MCF website and run your mouse over "The Games" section, it looks like there are slots for two more games. This could be good news! Of course, the website will be redesigned for the next game and one of the two could be removed...

Just my $0.02.

Edited to correct truly atrocious grammar.

posted in Hidden Expedition ® - Devil's Triangle on Nov 22, 09 2:32 PM
Iguanamom3, one of the boards mentions that the next HE installment should be out by spring...not too much longer to wait, considering that in the past they've come out about a year apart!

brandy914 wrote: Weird I just tried to watch this audition video and it says removed by user???

Yup, not long after the fishies here discovered them, they were pulled. Coincidence or not? The timing sure is interesting. A few pages back in this thread, someone posted a link to descriptions of the videos so you can at least read about them.

My guess? It's hard to say...the phone number the poster listed in one of the videos is in L.A. (downtown, to be specific - I'm a native Angeleno) and maybe she got an acting gig and took them down. But if they were audition tapes for the game, as they could be based on the content, I'll bet they breached some contract or another.

Anyways, on to bigger and brighter topics - like picman's next clue!!!

Okay, so I've just finished playing RTR again. The game has a few interesting tidbits:

- Victor hops into a time machine set to the year 1895 at the end.

- A strange message at the end of the credits is all in lower case, except for the words P-H-O-N-E; this same message also references "six o'clock" (could just be a reference to the next installment). Tried to write the message down but it kept going by too fast!

- One of the wrong numbers to the telephone puzzle in the game dials the Liverpool office of BFG, and the operator references MCF 6.

A quick Wiki read of events that year yields nothing as far as I can tell.

On the "Welcome to Dire Grove" sign, the picture right above the words "Dire Grove" bears a strong similarity to Stonehenge...veeeerrrry eeenteresting...

Ooh ooh ooh...just found something interesting...the English poet William Mason penned "Elsfrida," in which appears the following passage:

I'll go to yon dire grove, and clasp my Husband,
My murder'd Husband. Why restrain me, Sir?

Yeah, I'm a poetry geek.

posted in Wandering Willows on Oct 27, 09 6:43 PM
Try the tropics.

posted in Wandering Willows on Oct 27, 09 6:42 PM
Hi! Not really sure what you're asking, but I'll give it a whirl. You can't get rid of all of the medals under one profile once you win them since the game goes on indefinitely even after you fly away in your ballon. If you want a profile with the same name as you had before, you'll need to delete the old profile and create a new one because the game won't let you have two profiles that have the same name (for example, I can't have two profiles named "jazzboogie" going at once since the name is the same and it confuses the game...eeps, didn't mean to rhyme there!). Creating a new profile creates a new game so you can start from scratch and win the medals again. Hope that helps!

posted in Wandering Willows on Oct 27, 09 6:34 PM
Chives are also in the grasslands in the southwest near the two artsy gals who teach you how to silkscreen t-shirts.

posted in Wandering Willows on Oct 27, 09 6:33 PM
Another great money-maker is growing a bunch of flowers from the tropics, making bouquets, and selling them in the grasslands with one of your money-making pets. I sold a plain ol' orchid bouquet for something like $700!

posted in Wandering Willows on Oct 27, 09 6:20 PM
Have you tried any of the Westward or Tradewinds games? Both of those have some similar elements (although Westward is about the gold rush and Tradewinds is about pirates) like amassing money, finding and using different goods, and lots of side quests - no cuddly pets like Wandering Willows, though.

Oh yeah - and if you have a Nintendo DS, try Animal Crossing!

posted in Hidden Expedition ® - Devil's Triangle on Oct 27, 09 6:06 PM
Newbie here, swimming out of the reef! I've played and loved all of the HE games and thought the dazzling graphics, animation, and sound on this one were the best so far. Loved how the game was more about solving puzzles than finding hidden objects...the only disappointments were that it only took me three hours to finish (skipped one maddening puzzle - the rest were pretty easy) and the ending was weird and abrupt.

At the time I finished the game, I wished there was a way to save the game at certain points so that I could replay the ending because it happened so fast I'm still not sure of exactly what I saw. *Sigh*...this makes me really glad that the next installment will be out in the spring instead of a whole year from now, but I just hope that BFG makes it longer and more complex. I'm starting to fear that shorter, easier games will be a trend with new BFG titles since Drawn was the same way, with puzzles that were fairly simple to solve and limited gameplay (I also finished that one in three hours). On the other hand, MCF - MF and MCF - RTR both took well over five hours to finish and really had me gnashing my teeth at times!

Ah, well - I'm a loyal BFG fan and will continue buying these games because I can't get enough of 'em!

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator