Posts created by Meritre

posted in Dream Chronicles: The Book of Water on Jul 5, 11 12:50 AM
Forget it, Big Fish Games doesn't give a crap about legitimate customer concerns and complaints. Even the one concern I brought up to staff, they took zero ownership for, and tried to schluff it off to someone else. Customer Service? Not. I give it until my August membership bill date, and if there's no satisfactory answer here before that, I'm out of here. There are plenty of other sites in the ocean, and I'll happily send over my money (more, because I've been cutting back based on this thread's subject) to someone else. I'm happy even paying a higher price for someone with ethics who cares about where their money comes from, and I'm happy giving as much negative publicity as possible to all my friends and acquaintances.

BFG, there are many people who are happy to spend money on more principled companies, and people who don't mind making sure that as many people as possible know it. I have some degree of patience and forgiveness to a point, but you're way passing your expiry date on that.

posted in Death at Fairing Point: A Dana Knightstone Novel on Jul 3, 11 4:08 AM
After playing through the full version, I have to say that it was as good as the demo made it seem it would be. My only complaint is that I really didn't like the voice used for the author. She didn't match the text and the type of person she came across as when she wasn't talking. She was too brash and.. I don't know. Just not right. The music was lovely, and it'd be a shame to turn off volume for that, but I did rush through the voice narrated scenes so as not to completely ruin the feel of the story.

posted in Veronica Rivers: The Order Of Conspiracy on Jul 3, 11 12:36 AM
Compared to the other Veronica Rivers game, there seemed to be more mini-games, which is good, as is the increased interaction during hidden object scenes. I do miss the variety of hidden object stuff, as well as the comments on most items, but that's okay.

The story itself is weird, which I'm okay with. But I got the idea of "Hello, I'm Veronica, and I love danger! Like the character from a Heinlein book, you know I'm sassy and can do anything, because I have red hair. I just finished something really spooky and dangerous, and am on to my next dangerous location, but let me take a moment and do a perfect flower arrangement. Fabulous! Now I'm going to single-handedly lift some heavy equipment to the top of a wind tower! Fantastic!" I know there are writers who will write in their ideal character or Mary-Sue themselves, but this seemed to go a little overboard.

Enjoyable enough game, but not really for playing past the demo.

posted in Veronica Rivers: Portals to the Unknown ™ on Jul 2, 11 11:47 PM
Nice graphics, and HOGs are so much more enjoyable with a comment for almost each item, making you feel like you're not just clicking on random objects. There are also different variations on the HOG. So although I generally prefer there to be more mini-games, I really quite enjoyed this.

The biggest fault is the hint system. Maybe my eyes are getting old, but although it really shows off what you're looking for, it's only good if you're not looking at the wrong part of the screen to start with. Those hints don't last for very long, and heaven forbid it's something small or partially off-screen. One item, I used 5 hints to find before I finally saw where they were doing it.

This is something I might buy as a deal, but given how much I enjoyed it, it's probably absolutely fabulous for pure HOG lovers.

posted in Vampire Brides: Love Over Death on Jul 2, 11 10:51 PM
Interesting story (I think), eye as hint button was awesome, but good lord, HOG after HOG. Here's a HOG, as a reward, you get... HALF of an item you need. No fears, another HOG. Okay, object here, use it, you need something else for the same place, soooooooo, ANOTHER HOG! There are so many hidden object scenes with so little reward that the story moves glacier-slow. I kept playing, because I wanted to see where the story goes, but even to get to the point in the game description, you have to play the full hour demo. See, even the flash-backs have HOGs. Actually, you don't get as far as the description, but you see you're near it. If you want the story, buy a few books; you'll get through them with less frustration (unless you go beyond HOG fan, and are completely insane for them). Not much in the way of mini-games, at least in proportion to the HOGs. Would not buy.

posted in Val`Gor - Dark Lord of Magic on Jul 2, 11 9:43 PM
I don't know what possessed me to try the demo of a "spot the difference" game. I think it's where it said there is a variety of mini-games. Meaning three, I believe, including spot the difference, and the mixed up puzzle, once solved, is a spot the difference game too. If you do try this, I recommend sound turned way down or off, because both me and my cat would jump a little every time the freaky voice echoes out "COMBO! ... combo!" I will not bother finishing the demo and you couldn't pay me to waste hard drive space keeping this game.

posted in Time Riddles: The Mansion on Jul 2, 11 9:25 PM
Nice graphics, but too much hidden object, story moves far too slowly, and boring. People who like almost exclusively hidden objects might like this. Will not buy.

posted in Time Mysteries: Inheritance on Jul 2, 11 8:48 PM
This was very pretty graphically, and nice music, but it felt like too much HOG and spot the difference compared to other puzzles. Other than the match-3 part, which is actually a cool way to get new hints. The story is interesting, but not interesting enough that I'm going to rush to buy this.

posted in The Wizard's Pen on Jul 2, 11 7:53 PM
It actually would have been pretty fun if the graphics weren't so inexcusably awful. You need to do somewhat random clicking for the hidden object part, because you can't tell what a lot of stuff is. I do like that twist, where you put the object back, rather than find it already in the picture.

I can see it getting repetitive, but for now, I enjoyed it mostly. Still would not buy, with graphics like that.

posted in Tiger Eye - Part I: Curse of the Riddle Box on Jul 2, 11 7:00 PM
When I started it, I didn't think I'd like this. And I usually groan at romantic games. And some of the objects are almost impossible to find. However, I really enjoyed playing this, once I got past the first 5-10 minutes. Still think some of the objects, rather than cleverly hidden, are sort of faded enough and made small so it's really hard to find, but the games are great, and the story pulls you in. Probably will buy at some point.

posted in Intrigue Inc: Raven's Flight on Jul 2, 11 6:37 AM
Wow. Enjoyed the story, loved the game-play, interface, graphics. Different types of hidden object games for some variety. I wish the hint system wasn't so explicit about the next thing to do though. There must be a good middle ground between super easy and challenging mode. The motion mode with your pointer is a nice innovation, too. Definitely will buy.

posted in The Treasures of Mystery Island on Jul 2, 11 5:30 AM
I just didn't find this very interesting, and didn't care for the characters or the story. Found it boring. The hidden objects scenes and games were okay, but in the end, didn't like enough to buy.

posted in Sinbad: In search of Magic Ginger on Jul 2, 11 5:26 AM
Not terribly exciting, had tech issues, and it could be difficult to get the movement arrows to show up when you wanted them. The graphics were beautiful, but I didn't particularly like the dialogue method. Will not buy.

posted in Sinbad: In search of Magic Ginger on Jun 30, 11 3:31 PM
Just to confirm... I have problems moving around because anytime I've talked to anyone, the cursor stays as a talk bubble. Could this be related to me running DirectX 11? Because while the game looks cute, like the previous poster, I'm not downgrading just to play.

posted in Nightmare Realm Collector's Edition on Jun 30, 11 4:51 AM
Seems like a totally fun game with a good story, and interesting interactions. Would consider to buy, but probably not as a CE.

posted in Nightmare Adventures: The Witch's Prison on Jun 29, 11 9:37 PM
I liked this after playing the demo, but after playing the full game, I have to say that it's absolutely amazing. The story is creepy and involved, and will keep you interested for the entire game, and hoping for a sequel. The puzzles are challenging, you really can't let up thinking. The graphics and music/sound effects are perfect for it. While it isn't a really long game, it's long enough to be well worth the full price. After finishing it, I found myself trying to find similar games by Ghost Ship Studios, but have been disappointed thus far. Would recommend to anyone who doesn't mind a creepy witch-asylum story.

posted in The Tarot's Misfortune on Jun 29, 11 3:05 AM
This is almost all hidden object, and the games are pretty much spot the difference with a little "use the object where there are stars." I prefer more puzzles, and preferably not a lot of spot the difference. The music is catchy, and the graphics such that it isn't too bad to find everything, but not the game for me.

posted in The Stroke of Midnight on Jun 29, 11 2:28 AM
This was a neat game and I quite enjoyed it, but I spent much of the demo time trying to get used to how to move around and manipulate things. (Also spent time looking for an inventory, which wasn't there.) The hidden object can be as easy or difficult as you want, as there's an unlimited and untimed hint system built in. Puzzles were really interesting. Overall, I like, but probably would wait for a DD.

posted in The Stone of Destiny on Jun 29, 11 1:32 AM
If you like straight HOGs, it's fine. It implies puzzles too, of which there are few. Unless you count tracing out a rune with one mouse click to be a puzzle. I hated it.

posted in Grim Facade: Mystery of Venice Collector's Edition on Jun 29, 11 12:46 AM
The story is a lot more interesting than expected, and there are lots of fun and challenging puzzles in this! It looks and sounds beautiful, and so many different things to do. The hidden object scenes aren't too bad, and I love how the sort of mini-game of finding coins actually helps you in your adventure. I will buy this, although still not sure that I'll do the CE.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator