Posts created by Poem123

posted in Skyborn on Jun 23, 12 1:35 PM
You know what this reminds me of, more than anything else, is Monkey Island, if anyone else remembers that series? MI was not an RPG.but it had the same quirky off-beat sense of humour... and it also took a genre that was familar to many and breathed fresh air into the story-lines and characters.

posted in Skyborn on Jun 23, 12 1:08 PM
I actually have RPGMaker and with it, a new-found appreciation of the depth some people put into their games. While you can indeed create a functioning game in a couple of hours, it requires a huge time investment to create something that emotionally draws in a loyal following over a long period (i.e. a story that can only come from someone's mind and engage a player for dozens of hours). This is something Aveyond was able to do due to Amanda Fitch's expressive imagination. The limitations thus become those within our own minds.

The program is greeeeat. I hope one day to develop one of my own stories into an interactive adventure - and I feel I can do this in RPGMaker even though I know NOTHING about programming

The point I was making however, is that today's "new" gamers have too many "easy" options. While a good story is always appreciated, many cannot be bothered to figure out how to play something if there is an easier (and in their minds, just as engaging) experience to jump into.

Therefore, anyone can make a great game in RPGMaker, and the forums there demonstrate this beyond doubt, but to reach a wider audience is difficult. That's why Skyborn is so good.It captures the essential human imagination into a package that is easily digested by someone who has never played an RPG and the controls are designed to make the experience as smooth as possible... so that people can enjoy the presented story without getting hung up about 'omg I just hit a button by mistake and now I can't get put of this screen... ugh... halp! what would Justin Timberlake do? Gah, I'll just turn it off'.

I jest, of course. So I am not criticising RPGMaker. It's a wonderful tool. I am simply complimenting the makers of Skyborn for creating an experience that perfectly captures the "feel" of older games, without the frustrations - it looks like something played in the 1990s without feeling like something designed for a controller rather than keyboard. It's so rare for developers to invest money into this kind of unguaranteed profit and I would like to encourage them to continue with this project which is almost certainly one of passion as it has been spectacularly implemented, in my opinion.

posted in Skyborn on Jun 23, 12 12:01 PM
This really is a delightful game. It's the kind of game where if any of my friends ever expressed an interest in trying something different, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

The biggest winner for me (outside of the hilariously well-written dialogue) is how smooth this game runs. Sometimes you can love a game completely but never sell it to your friends due to the clunkiness of controls. You may be able to overlook that because you love the other aspects of the game, but your inexperienced friends want something that can engage them in the first 5 minutes without confusing them terribly. This is the perfect old-style RPG to introduce new players to.

I loved and still love the Aveyond series but have never suggested it to anyone that doesn't already play old-style games. This is mostly due to the limitations of the engine (I think the first one at least, was made with RPG Maker and suffers all the limitations of a commercial and public engine) yet I adored the storyline, attention to detail, subtlety and warmth of the series. Despite my love for it, I doubt any friends that have never owned a Nintendo could engage with it on the same level.

On the other hand, this is a game I could introduce to someone who has never played a story-driven computer game in their life. They will either love it or hate it, but only on its own terms, not because of technical issues.

Love Big Fish so much for releasing this game. I hope it becomes enough of a success for its developers to consider a sequel, or possible series.

posted in Skyborn on Jun 23, 12 11:12 AM
Absolutely love this game. I knew within the first 5 minutes that it was a definite buy for me. I rarely review on the forums now that we can review on the page directly, but I feel this game is worth lauding.

I was going to copy and paste my review on the game page, but it won't fit. Needless to say it was a (long and) positive review with 5 stars all round.

Something I did not mention is how witty and well-written the storyline is. I laughed out loud several times, just through the opening sequences. The large, clear text scrolls quickly and can be clicked through to skip, but it's worth reading. At one point, to express Claret's outrage, her text jolts, instead of scrolling. So. It. Looks. Like. She's. Talking. Like. This... without the punctuation. That made me laugh especially.

Do yourself a favour, if you are the least bit curious about this game (which you must be if you're reading this), download the demo and try it out. If you are new to RPGs, it will take a little getting used to as it's not simply a case of point-and-click. You have several options for inventory management, equipped items, character summaries and stats. Don't worry about figuring it all out at the start.

Enjoy the story - if you find it fun, you will eventually learn the controls. If it bores you (everyone has different tastes) that's fine too, at least you gave one of the better old-style RPGs enough of a shot to know you don't like the genre. Experienced RPG players will be delighted with the user-interface and game-play.

posted in Skyborn on Jun 23, 12 8:26 AM
Would love to demo this old-school looking RPG but get the following error when I try to launch the game:

Script 'Simple Mouse System' line 84: TypeError occurred
cannot convert Bignum into String

Edit: I tried un-installing and re-installing and it did not fix the problem.

Edit2: after waiting some time, I tried to launch the game again and it works now with no problem.

posted in Spooky Mall on Feb 29, 12 2:06 AM
A sweet, quirky, fun and polished TM game that is unfortunately not my cup of tea.

It's very well made with smooth game-play and good progression. It's basically a mad-click type game. While the mechanics don't offer anything innovative, the theme, graphics and ease-of-play make this a must-have for fans of the genre.

I personally prefer games where I get to tweak the prices, hire employees, fiddle with inventory stock so it's not a purchase for me.

I recommend this for anyone who enjoys spa/salon type games. If you are a fan, you will really enjoy this game.

posted in Orczz on Jan 24, 12 8:47 AM
I love tower defense games and this is a nice, bright cheery one.

posted in Coconut Queen on Jan 24, 12 8:45 AM
Grabbed this one ages ago. It's a light-hearted whimsical TM that is a lot of fun to play and not stressful. It's a nice way to spend a lazy afternoon and easy pick up where you left off if you can only play sporadically

dokken117 wrote:Jkuci, will you explain what you mean when you say "bought an extra credit"? I see lots of people do this, but how is it more convenient than just purchasing a game on your credit card as it comes up? I've been buying games for a long time, and I still don't understand this concept. Thanks.

This is a collector's edition game which takes 2 credits, so if you already have 1 credit floating around, it's cheaper to buy a 2nd than to purchase the game in full.

posted in Fisher's Family Farm on Nov 9, 11 9:14 PM
This is a well-made TM game I recently bought as a pop-up discount offer after another purchase. Visually pleasing, and smooth interface, instructions are clear and overall good production values.

BUT due to the offer I didn't get to demo it first and I probably wouldn't have bought it. This is to do with the difficulty scaling, it ramps up much too early making it stressful to get "expert" in time and somewhat repetitive in how you approach the goals.

It's worth it at a DD price if you enjoy games like the Youda series (including a fishing one), TV Farm (excellent and very similar to this), Farmers Market.

WOOOO YAY *jumps* *dances*

I haven't logged on BFG for a few days so I almost missed this. I LOVED the first game. I'm soooooo excited. I was wondering if there ever would be a sequel.

I can't afford a CE right now *cries*. I will get this when I get my second credit / or as a SE (whichever comes first).

Not going to demo because I have zero willpower.

posted in Cave Quest on Nov 4, 11 3:51 AM
I can see why this game has such glowing reviews, it's very nicely done and the M3 feels different to standard M3. The games flow well with the story and adventure. No puchase for me, even as a DD but it was nice to try something different.

The comparisons to Phantasmat make this a "must-buy" for me. Phantasmat is the best game in this genre I've ever played.

I'm NOT going to demo this however because I know I'll end up buying it. Must... make... myself... wait... for... the... SE.

posted in Recyclomania on Oct 26, 11 2:49 AM
I don't play M3 often but when I do, this is the style of game I prefer - mini goals to collect particular items for some theme (in this case, for recycling). Unfortunately, this is a no-buy for me.

Music - thump thump thump ugh
Graphics - bland but easy to distinguish different icons
Length - looks long, there are 26 levels in the 1st of 5 sections.

The game is fun BUT it is TIMED with no option to turn it off. For beginners like me, having to repeat a level several times because I miss the timer with one item left is not relaxing, it's frustrating and boring.

My other complaint is the hint that pops up immediately (to suggest a possible move). It's very distracting and you don't even have time to scan the board yourself. Again, there is no option to turn it off, or to lengthen the time before it appears.

I found the game tips very useful BUT expert players might dislike the constant popups, and with the short timer, this game seems otherwise aimed at experienced players.

posted in Love & Death ™: Bitten ™ on Oct 23, 11 2:22 AM
Demo'd, loved, bought - off to continue playing

posted in Best in Show Solitaire on Oct 18, 11 11:10 PM
This is a nice, smooth (for me, no technical issues) game that I'd probably get if it were anything other than solitaire, which unfortunately I'm bored of. No matter how nicely you polish it, it's the same old game I've played way too many times.

Enjoyable theme (I'm a dog/animal lover) but would prefer a different card game.

posted in Garden Panic on Oct 18, 11 4:59 PM
Discovered this by accident after browsing the online games and bought it right away. Prefer this over PvZ because it's freeform and the winding path offers strategical opportunities.

Sometimes it runs very slowly for me, almost freezes and I have to exit and relaunch. I also had a problem where I had a perfect score all the way to the late 20s and the next time I launched the game, my profile vanished and I had to start over.

Really fun game, makes you think, can be frustrating until you figure out what works for you - in my case planting poison trails. I like that you can approach the same level in different ways and still get a perfect score, you aren't forced to play a certain way.

posted in Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Persian Carpet on Oct 18, 11 10:12 AM
I spent the hour not enjoying the game but to my surprise, ended up buying it. I think it's because my trial ended half way through a deduction and I wanted to finish that.

Recommend people play on "Casual" to get the maximum hints/skips (you'll want them!). I used up too many of my skips already since I didn't think I'd buy it.

I feel the devs put a lot of time into this game. It has a complex murder plot where you need to link all the various pieces of evidence you have collected. It is quite confusing even with the excessive hand-holding in casual mode. After a while I got into the swing of it though.

Graphics look great on my widescreen. I don't bother trying to find the hard-to-see objects, I just spam my 7 hints per level. You can adjust the gamma which brightened the scenes for me.

Back to finishing that deduction.

posted in Press Your Luck on Oct 15, 11 8:32 AM
This game is great! It's very well done and fun to play (and I can't stand the tv show!). Try it out, you might be pleasantly surprised.

posted in Virtual City 2: Paradise Resort on Oct 14, 11 6:25 AM
Hi Jezhara, for detailed answers, check these threads:
http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/181659.page
http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/181228.page

The very summarized answer is:
- Make your bus routes as short as possible. One destination per bus, as close to the bus stop as possible. Add 1 bus for every 40 people per stop.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator