Posts created by Sprattie

posted in Graven: The Purple Moon Prophecy on Mar 30, 18 1:46 PM
I've just finished the game after approximately 14 hours and it was absolutely the best. Intuitive game play, good graphics and absolutely beautiful music by Michal Ratkowski. I got all the achievements except for the mistletoe twig one - found 68 out of 70, with no option to go back and find the last 2, but that's a small quibble. This is a collector's edition-sized game (no bonus game, just many extra hours of play) that doesn't insult my intelligence. The HOPs were interesting in that the collectibles (tangram tiles and mistletoe twigs) were hidden in some of them as well as in the HOPs and larger scenery. No extras at all but that wasn't a problem for me as I never bother with wallpapers or videos. The music would have been a bonus though!

posted in Immortal Love: Black Lotus Collector's Edition on Mar 30, 18 1:23 PM
Well I agree with absolutely everyone here - and would certainly pay more to get more. The first adventure games I ever played were on CDs and played for several weeks (thinking especially of URU which went on for a whole season) and cost a small fortune at Walmart or wherever, and were worth the price. Money isn't really an issue for me, but WASTING money is. I've had to let a considerable number of free game codes slip away into the void because there were no more good games to spend them on.

BTW, thanks for the heads up, Bartsister, I also notice that MDNA's games are now available for Mac which is what I am playing on now. Woo hoo!

We can send an email through the help section under "support" and see what happens. Maybe we smart people can make a difference, eh, Miss Abby? Start the revolution!

posted in Moonsouls: Echoes of the Past Collector's Edition on Mar 29, 18 6:22 AM
No smoky demons, DebbieAnnie? That's definitely a recommendation for me to try the demo. I have been a MadHead fan for years but am definitely done done done with the smoky demons.

posted in Immortal Love: Black Lotus Collector's Edition on Mar 22, 18 5:26 PM
Your English is fine, Minesita, and I totally support your wish for a return to adventure games. Pure adventure games have certainly become a thing of the past. My first loves were the large-file games that went on for days and had 100% replay value. Among the first games I loved on Big Fish were the MDNA's Carol Reed games set in Sweden. They were unusual and lovely and definitely a challenge to play, and no repetitive HOPs anywhere. I got into other games but never found too many that were an actual cerebral workout. I'm getting old, and in need of some mental challenges as well as some new ideas and plots. I'm definitely on your side here.

(edited for clarification)

posted in Graven: The Purple Moon Prophecy on Mar 14, 18 5:00 PM
I've put about 7 1/2 to 8 hours into this game and have not even finished yet. It's one of the best games I've played in years. The story line is somewhat understandable, and although I'm not the least bit interested in the demon/monster/evil being aspect (done to death and boring as earwax at this point) the characters are interesting. Game play is fairly logical and there are so, so many locations to deal with that it's actually fun to try and remember where things go and why. Graphics are clear and settings are interesting and occasionally quite different from the norm. The HOPs are varied and sometimes interactive, and the puzzles are challenging and not old hat. This game was purchased with a free code but would have been worth every nickel at full price. I've really enjoyed this one, Orchid devs, and am looking forward to another great game just like it.

posted in Demon Hunter 4: Riddles of Light Collector's Edition on Feb 28, 18 10:51 AM
Well I just love this thread! I sincerely hope every single game dev is reading this and taking notes. My huge beefs have been the overused valve - every stinking game needs a valve somewhere - and rebuilding a broken ladder. And illogical stuff like keys inside sealed tin cans, or hidden under a 3-ton rock. AND the ubiquitous black smoke indicating a demon/monster/ghost/witch. I'm not going to demo this particular game because it has "Demon" in the title because I am sick unto death of games with demons in them. Boring boring boring.

posted in Noir Chronicles: City of Crime Collector's Edition on Feb 23, 18 5:34 PM
Same here, playing on Mac El Cap and a few of the achievements aren't registering. The game play is very Mac friendly otherwise.

posted in Noir Chronicles: City of Crime Collector's Edition on Feb 23, 18 5:31 PM
I, too, enjoy a game with real people and no supernatural stuff - mostly because it's different - there haven't been many games that don't have the black fog. My only beef about this game is that I finished the main game in just under 3 hours, including the demo. It was very simple and didn't have any long cutscenes, but still. Sure hope the bonus game is a bit longer than usual to make up for that. I got the game in the 2fer sale so I admit I didn't pay full price - if I did I'd be steaming.

ETA - yup, it was a short bonus game too, and with no challenges or new stuff. Sigh.

posted in Whispered Legends: Tales of Middleport on Jan 27, 18 11:27 AM
I just finished this short game which ended without any warning whatsoever - click to go through a doorway and bam, ending scene. Is there any way to get back into the game to examine the collections? I did enjoy the game, very old school even when it was made 4 years ago, and quite fun, but part of the fun is looking at the finished collections and now I don't even know which ones I finished. What a freaking ripoff.

posted in Whispered Legends: Tales of Middleport on Jan 27, 18 11:23 AM
Had to reply to your post as we're both playing this in 2018, 4 years after the game came out... I feel like the guy in "The Martian" who got left behind on Mars... I enjoyed the game too.

posted in The Legacy: Prisoner Collector's Edition on Jan 25, 18 2:38 PM
Playing on a Mac OS X El Capitan, several weeks after the last poster of course as I bought the game and got sick, but am having the same problem as the other posters who could not access a picture on the extra puzzles at the end. I'm kinda ticked off at having missed 2 of the morphing objects and the game won't let me go back and find them now that I've finished. If other devs can do this, why not this dev? I wonder if that has something to do with the missing puzzle pictures.

posted in Leaves 2: The Return on Oct 9, 17 7:04 AM
I've finally finished this game after a week or so of work - kinda dragged out the last few days because I really didn't want to leave this charming little world. The first game took ages and I kept having to resort to the videos to understand basic game play, but it was huge fun and kept my interest all the way through. Now that I know the "ropes" it was much easier to navigate through Leaves 2. The puzzles are great and very involving, especially the last one which is more of a HO puzzle combination, and the inhabitants are surprising and cute. When I got lost part way through, it was my own fault for losing focus on where I was. Note-taking is important here and I have pages of little maps and instructions which I now don't want to throw away (I kept my Myst notebook for years!). These are definitely replayable games. They also have distinct endings, not just "you solved this, thanks." I will be watching closely for another Leaves-world installment from this game developer.

posted in Leaves 2: The Return on Oct 8, 17 3:18 PM
You probably don't need the help at this point almost a week later, but if you go to the number puzzle, hit the escape button on your keyboard to get the exit screen, and just above that is the Need Help? button. You have to do s puzzle (put 2 b/2 circles together) and that will give you the number puzzle solution.

posted in Leaves: The Journey on Oct 2, 17 2:22 PM
As usual posting weeks after everyone else, but I've finished this game and absolutely loved it. Starting out the demo was a pain, but once I started understanding the game mechanics/hints/layout, it was a joy. I'm not a huggy-stuffed-animal fan by any means but the ugly little peoplethings were charming and I starting looking forward to finding them. Finishing the game is quite an accomplishment as I had to resort to the video walkthroughs a few times, but the individual puzzles were great fun and worth the headscratchy moments. Graphics are really lovely in some places and did remind me of Myst a few times. Sound effects were repetitive but not overwhelming, and navigating between scenes was easy, as was the save and exit. I recommend this game to anyone who is tired of smoky red-eyed demons and lost zipper pulls, and wants something completely out of the ordinary. I recommend this little gem of a game!

Nanafraser, I will defend to the death your right to express your true feelings about any game! I always hope that game devs will read these outpourings of emotion (and lack of outpourings of money) and design their games accordingly. I've downloaded the demo for Donna Brave as I'm always willing to give MadHead a try, but the second I see a missing zipper pull/valve/key hidden in a sealed tin can/puff of evil black smoke with red eyes - or any other done-to-death game cliché - I'm hitting the delete button. Here's hoping!

posted in Subject 13 on Aug 8, 17 5:24 PM
pennmom36, there is no easy right-click on a mouse pad ,which is what I have. It involves jamming fingers down as hard as possible which is counter-intuitive on a very sensitive (and up to date) laptop. It takes all the joy out of playing what looks like a very engaging and (thankfully!) different kind of game that I would have enjoyed and purchased. I can't imagine playing the whole game like this so my money stays in my pocket for this one.

posted in Subject 13 on Aug 8, 17 5:17 PM
Belamba, I'm using a MacBook Pro with El Capitan and have found the controls just too taxing to bother with. I can intuit what needs to be done, it's just too much work to chase the hotspots and click correctly. This looked like a great game but it's ruined by being totally Mac-unfriendly. Giving up and deleting, thank goodness I tried the demo first.

posted in Subject 13 on Aug 8, 17 5:13 PM
bjhvd may be playing on a Mac, in which case there's no "click" at all. I struggled with this for 10 minutes bashing the mouse pad with 2 fingers trying to catch the hotspot and then just gave up. I can see what needs to be done and it's just too hard to do it. Not a Mac-friendly game in any way.

posted in Ominous Objects: The Cursed Guards Collector's Edition on Apr 27, 17 1:14 PM
Thank you cbtx, aerosage and Bartsister. I enjoy reading ALL the reviews - this is one way I weigh whether or not to try the demo. My time is as valuable as anyone else's. In all honesty, the negative reviews are far more educational than the flowery positive ones, and contain more "meat" as far as solid information. And... a review is an opinion, and one's opinion is a valuable thing to express, one way or another. Smart developers will read the reviews and act accordingly. If you are a seeker and don't like the negative reviews, just read the positive ones and ignore the ones you don't like. But please respect that we are all entitled to express how we feel without being told off.

posted in Vermillion Watch: Fleshbound Collector's Edition on Dec 31, 16 4:49 PM
I do agree with previous posters that devs do put a lot of work into these games and that we should be happy to pay current prices to keep up a certain level of quality. I must say however (again, repeating myself from other forums) that I would be much, much happier demoing one or two new games a week which have been refined and perfected, rather than a game every single day which may have tech issues, story repetition, and hoary old puzzles rehashed from countless other games. I really only buy games 4 or 5 times a year, usually during the 2fer sales, and only when I actually have found 2 games I want to pay for. I missed out on the Christmas sale because there wasn't one single game worth buying that was the least little bit different from the daily grind of games. At the moment I have 3 free game credits that will expire if I don't find a fresh, new, innovative game to buy. Sadly I'm not holding my breath. I like this one to a certain extent but you can't get a CE with a free credit.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator