Posts created by Firefox7

posted in Age of Mahjong on Mar 25, 14 12:11 PM
One of the nicest Mahjong games I've seen. Very clear, beautiful tile sets, graphics are smooth and fast, music is pleasant without being intrusive.

Some challenging levels, pitched just about right to keep you coming back.

Very nice game. Well worth the price.

posted in Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™ on Jan 30, 13 12:07 PM
Psycho999 wrote:Well I just finished the Standard Edition, the storyline was great, and I loved the way that we are forced to look at why Charles ended up the way he did. I am a big fan of MCF and this one was overall value for money- HOWEVER: and this is a big one for me, I am not a prude, I love a psychological thriller and a scare, I did think the inclusion of real life photos of dead victorian children in the security guards hut to the mental asylum was in very poor taste, and wholly unnecessary for the tone of the game, yes we were warned about an intense psychological thriller, but dead children from real life is something else, and if someone played this who had lost children I imagine that it would be pretty traumatic. I largely enjoyed the game and loved the continuation of the ravenhearst storyline but I have to admit I was rather disturbed that BFG thought it was ok to just include these pics without a second thought. Yes these kids and their ancestors will be long gone so no consent can be sought but it's surely about respect for the dead and what is tasteful and decent. I have minor gripes about the morphing objects being a miss and the fact that there was a diary that was totally unhelpful in keeping codes and numbers and the puzzles were totally obscure in places, but my major issue is with the pictures of the dead children, this is off the scale unacceptable and ruined the game for me.

Believe it or not, it was not only very common, but considered to be a sign of love and respect in Victorian England to take photographs of your recently deceased loved ones in "lifelike" poses. Dead children were often photographed in family groups, posed as if they were still alive, amongst their siblings. It was very common for mothers to keep these pictures on show in their homes. Adults were often photographed sitting in chairs or at tables, with all the other members of the family around. It seems grotesque and bizarre to modern society, but was considered totally acceptable when these photographs were actually taken. These photographs would not have been regarded as anything offensive at all.

posted in Mystery Case Files: Return to Ravenhearst ™ on Aug 25, 12 2:04 PM
cookiescrumbs - in the kitchen (where you found the cheese and the shears for the rose) look on the cabinet on the left hand side of the screen. Click on the papers stuck there, and one of them will reveal what you have to do with the skeleton.

Once you have found it, the journal will be updated with the picture, so you don't have to keep going back to the kitchen to look at it again!

Good luck.

posted in Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™ on Aug 19, 12 2:25 AM
This is a really tricky one - took me dozens of attempts before I cracked it.

You really have to be very careful with the final blue wire - it's very easy to click outside the puzzle frame and have the danged thing reset itself.

I did it *very* slowly, waiting a few cycles of colour change before each cut.

Position the cutters very carefully before snipping the final wire, otherwise you will probably get as frustrated as I did!!

posted in Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™ on Aug 18, 12 4:07 AM
Despite being a true Ravenhearst fan, I *almost* didn't buy this because of the negative reviews.

I am so glad I decided to find out for myself. I hate to sound like a nerdy teenager (because I am 4 decades past that) but this game is awesome. Really. If you loved the previous Ravenhearst incarnations, this will satisfy you.

I haven't finished it yet, but had to come onto the forum and write a review because I am thoroughly enjoying it.

Maybe I am hard to shock, but I haven't found anything yet (and I have finished the hospital etc) that I would class as disgusting - any reasonable adult who is familiar with the Ravenhearst saga could, I would hope, cope with this with no problem at all. The figures don't even resemble real people, they are mannequins and look like mannequins. You may not like the *idea* of it, but I didn't find it 'gross' at all - I've seen far worse things in other games where you are led to believe you are shooting and maiming real people. The puzzles are up to MCF's usual standard - hard and frustrating at times, but with a definite satisfaction factor once solved.

The MOS are not a problem, and make a nice change from the normal HOG - I think the developers are actually paying attention - trying to make the game evolve and grow, not just a repeat of the others with different objects and scenes.

The graphics are awe-inspiring and fill my wide screen superbly.

My one criticism is that the help screens don't. You really do need a little more help than MCF are offering here, as sometimes it really isn't obvious where you need to go next to progress. It took me an hour to work out where to go from the lighthouse. I don't mind spending time trying to do the puzzles, but once I had solved them all, I was left wondering 'where do I go now?'

I am a huge MCF fan and having played almost all of their other games have an insight into how they think, but for anyone not *really* familiar with their games, this lack of logical progression through the game could be a frustrating turn-off.

I would wholeheartedly recommend this to any MCF fan of adult age - it is NOT a game for children, but anyone over 18 who can sit through the nightly news shouldn't find anything too disturbing here, imho.

posted in Ranch Rush 2 Collector's Edition on Jul 10, 12 1:47 PM
I'm having the same problem with the final day on the expert level, too - to the point where I am getting very disenchanted with the game. I wouldn't mind so much if I could even get *close* to the goals, but I am nowhere near it - I've made it to the final day 14 times now, and every time I am miles short of the targets - all the others I can complete.

I don't mind a challenge, but I'm starting to think this may be almost impossible....

I also don't like the way that you have to restart the day all over again, rather than carry on and finish the level without the score for doing it within the time, which makes me wonder why there are two trophies for the expert level - one for finishing it, and one for finishing it without failing an order - if you have to restart the day - how can you achieve the first one? Apart from that, I like the game as much as the first one, but this final day is really starting to bug me!!!

posted in Ranch Rush 2 - Sara's Island Experiment on Jul 10, 12 1:42 PM
I'm having the same problem with the final day on the expert level, too - to the point where I am getting very disenchanted with the game. I wouldn't mind so much if I could even get *close* to the goals, but I am nowhere near it - I've made it to the final day 14 times now, and every time I am miles short of the targets - all the others I can complete.

I don't mind a challenge, but I'm starting to think this may be almost impossible....

I also don't like the way that you have to restart the day all over again, rather than carry on and finish the level without the score for doing it within the time, which makes me wonder why there are two trophies for the expert level - one for finishing it, and one for finishing it without failing an order - if you have to restart the day - how can you achieve the first one? Apart from that, I like the game as much as the first one, but this final day is really starting to bug me!!!

posted in Mystery Case Files: Return to Ravenhearst ™ on Feb 13, 12 1:34 PM
LorraineC wrote: I hated the rooms where I had to listen to children being spanked or crying. Dead baby parts in tubs???????? the game stressed me out with all the children crying and screaming from abuse.

Umm..... with respect, are we playing the same game Lorraine? What dead baby parts? What screaming? I don't recall *anywhere* in the game where anything like 'spanking' or 'abuse' can be heard at all.... The "twins" do say things like "have you seen our Mummy?" and "It's dark here" but it is a ghost story after all!

I have no idea what dead babies you are referring to - to the best of my memory there is nothing like that!

posted in Mystery Trackers: The Void on Oct 29, 11 11:57 PM
Do you already have the key to start the engine?

You need to get the key from the fridge suspended over the tracks before you can drive the train.

Once you get into the driver's cab, with the key, the instructions are on the top right of the screen, on a journal page.

Good Luck!

posted in Mystery Case Files: Return to Ravenhearst ™ on Oct 27, 11 1:40 PM
Tawanda48 - just Google "Return to Ravenhearst telephone puzzle" - there are plenty of sites and pictures to help you - there's even a you tube link to a video walkthrough.

posted in Mystery Case Files: Return to Ravenhearst ™ on Oct 27, 11 1:36 PM
RareQuentine - you won't get the R typewriter key until you have freed the twins from their coffin.

Once you've let them out, go back up into the toy store and there is a hidden object screen with the letter R in it.

posted in Mystery Case Files: Return to Ravenhearst ™ on Oct 27, 11 1:26 PM
Kollerkat - are you stuck anywhere specifically?

There are plenty of good walkthrough websites you can go to for help if you need it. If you start with the hidden object screen in the bush by the main gate, there is a logical progression (kind of!) from each screen to the next. Each hidden object screen will give you an object that you need later in the game (most of them not too much later).

I'd be happy to help you if there's something that's got you so flummoxed you feel like giving up - it's a really good game when you get into it... honestly!

posted in Love Story: The Beach Cottage on Oct 25, 11 2:36 AM
I'm confused.... (not too difficult, but...)

I've finished the game BUT....

There were still a lot of items that I hadn't found - I had the empty shells in my inventory.

There seemed to be an awful lot of unanswered questions - what was with all the "?" everywhere - I thought there would be resolutions to these?

I am *positive* I was supposed to feed the cat in Charlie's house for example - but never found any cat food? The rods in the dock house - what's with those? You click on them and get a comment but then there is nothing to do with them?

It was as if the game finished half way through.... I would much rather not be able to finish a game until I have all the items, have solved all the puzzles and answered all the questions, than finish it like this!

On the plus side, nice to play something not full of skeletons and dark corners, lovely graphics, nice music and interesting puzzles - but very frustrating to finish in such a way.

posted in Love Story: The Beach Cottage on Oct 24, 11 1:23 PM
I suffered the same frustration, trying fruitlessly to attach the chain to the winch....

You need to attach the chain to the axe head, then the winch will work.

I think the clue is badly worded saying that the chain is too short, it makes you think you need to lengthen it - you don't - click the chain onto the axe head stuck in the wood, then the winch handle will turn.

posted in Mystery Case Files: Madame Fate™ on Oct 24, 11 9:59 AM
I have purchased every MCF game almost as soon as they are released and this remains, imo, their best in the genre as a whole. Not as intricate or complex as the Ravenhearst duo, so if you prefer a more involved storyline then they may suit you better, but just so addictive that you keep going back again and again.

If you want a game that is beautiful to look at, with great puzzles and MCF's usual excellent hidden object screens (no cheating with things hidden behind things etc) but a game where you don't need to write down every left and right turn you've made for the last six months, then this is the one for you. A challenging and absorbing game without the sometimes frustrating go here-go there-go back- go here again of other HOGs.

I love the mermaid puzzle (yes, I *will* do it in under 30 seconds... I will...) and the "scenes within a scene" screens are wonderful.

I hate the final puzzle with a vengeance, but still keep doing it - over and over again...

I paid full price for this and have never begrudged a single penny of it.

posted in Mystery Trackers: The Void on Oct 24, 11 9:47 AM
This was my only real complaint in an otherwise excellent game - the (frog) hint quite clearly says "the *car* window is broken - a shard of glass might be useful" . There are two cars - yours (the detective) and Sirius' car, which has broken windows.

I tried for a fruitless hour to remove a piece of glass from Sirius' car, absolutely certain that my computer had a glitch.... in the end I had a look at the walk through (which I hate doing) - only to find it's actually the cable car broken window where you have to get the glass shard.

Really, really, really annoying!!

Apart from that, this is an excellent game, with really great puzzles that range from simple to fiendish - I loved them all and didn't skip any!

I bought in on DD and it was a bargain.

Really good game, and I would have been happy paying full price for it.

posted in Mystery Case Files: Return to Ravenhearst ™ on Oct 22, 11 12:03 AM
I am a huge fan of this game - Yes, it *is* difficult, but that gives it plenty of playability in my book. I've played it many, many times and keep coming back, trying to improve my time, trying to do the object screens more smoothly etc. Some of the puzzles are quite difficult (although many of them have a "DOH!" factor when you suddenly realise what the trick is).
MCF consistently produce excellent games, but this is their best - I much prefer it to Dire Grove, and it's even a notch above their other classic, Madam Fate.
The Whack-A-Troll game is extremely frustrating - but - once you've completed the game once all the way through, you can avoid it when playing again, if you're smart - LOL! I'd be interested to know what other players best times are - and that's best times for the WHOLE game - doing everything from scratch, not missing out the puzzles you know the answer to - the telescopes etc!! I'm still trying to crack the 1 hour - getting close, but not there yet....

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator