Posts created by sartasia

posted in Strange Cases: The Tarot Card Mystery on Sep 25, 10 1:02 PM
I remember buying this when it came out. Enjoyed it enough to buy the next in the series which was even better. I would think this pretty enjoyable as a DD.

posted in Twisted Lands: Shadow Town Collector's Edition on Sep 25, 10 9:42 AM

Loaded fine.
I played in challenger mode so I don't know how the other option fairs.
Graphics were nice. Possibly could have been crisper in some cases but on the whole clean.
Cut scenes slightly silly and IMO actually pointless.
HOGS were clear and fairly easy.
Mini games were game appropriate, some were challenging and all played into the story line.
Music was slightly repetitive but turned it down and ignored it.
Options for both music and sound which is always a plus for me.
Walkthrough included was easy to use and remained on the page you left it.
Length was ok. Took me about 4 hours (not including bonus) but I had a few pauses for life in that.
Hints worked well and would direct you to another screen if needed.

All sounds good doesn't it?
I thought that this would be a fave. Unfortunately it was more of a shoulder shrug. The game was plodding along fairly well but after a fair amount of time I would have liked some reason to connect what was going on.
The story line was one that by the wrap up I was just going "Huh?" It was all over the board in explanation. At the end you still have no idea why all the events took place. There is even a small reference at one point that it all could be an illusion. When the game ended you were left wondering what just happened. The plot was so disconnected that I have yet, 2 days later, played the bonus scene. I started it and the "characters" I immediately noticed had nothing to do with the previous game play and all I could think was "Now what?" and turned it off with a shrug.
I'm sure I will get back to it at some point but for now I just plain have no interest.
This game may be very enjoyable for those that do not care about story line but as I believe this pretty much carries a game like this it was a disappointment to me.
Guess I should have waited for the SE.

posted in Golden Trails: The New Western Rush on Sep 22, 10 7:40 AM
joyce2121 wrote:I know I'm not a fast player, but when I read in another thread
that someone finished 20 minutes after buying, I have to
wonder. Is it possible to play that fast?

Somehow I would find that a little hard to believe...
Not sure how you could even pull up all the scenes at that speed......
I'm pretty quick on these type of games and I'm not sure that I could have been done in under 2.5- 3 hours without zooming through and skipping all sorts of things.

But who knows.

posted in Reincarnations: Uncover the Past on Sep 20, 10 6:06 AM
Askold wrote:
hop0409 wrote:It's true, this is the first time I haven't had to wait for five minutes for the game to load, which was nice. But is it really a 4 hour game? When I look at the walk-through, it seems like I got through almost half the game in the demo...

I think I'll buy it anyway...maybe I'll start over and try to play slower

The game is really very long. I'm sure you will be satisfied.

I'm an old gamer who often can zip through on the challenge level. The CE took me almost 5 hours. If you deduct an hour for the bonus level that still was a fine length. I agree with Askold. You should be happy.

posted in Reincarnations: Uncover the Past on Sep 18, 10 9:02 AM
I purchased the CE and really enjoyed this game. I wanted to add that the game length at 4+ hours is very nice. Good bang for your buck.

Sad to notice I have all 3 games offered today.
Probably just as well as I already have three punches this month...lol.
Have a great weekend Fishies!

posted in Victorian Mysteries: Woman in White on Sep 17, 10 8:27 PM
I enjoyed this game. It was relaxing and held my interest.
The story line is soft and haunting. This is based on quite a good book.

The HOG graphics are a mix of clear and subtle depending on the scene. For the most part the objects were quite obvious.
Mini games, such as they are, were imaginative and relate well to the story (with the possible exception of the fishing game).
The music did not bother me until the final scene when the intensity increased and then it was intensely annoying. I personally liked the mournful feel of the piano during the HOGS but I suspect that it just a matter of taste.
The hint on challenge seemed to fill in a fair time. I only used it once.
The game itself is not difficult but not so easy that it bored me.
The length was fair enough. I took 3 hours but that included being distracted by life a couple of times.
On the whole, out of five, I would give this:

After a week of TM games this was a nice selection.

posted in Vampire Brides: Love Over Death on Sep 14, 10 1:20 PM
Loaded fine.
Music repetitive.
Graphics improve with game.
HOGs very small at first but also improve as game advances.
Story line starts out somewhat interesting but continues and ends disjointed and dull.
Mini games are predictive, easy and IMO slightly a waste of time.
Hints are not hints but actually show the location of what you are looking for. For what it's worth I only used 2 and that was only because I got terribly bored of looking for spiders. And this games has many spiders, beetles, cockroaches and flies. For supposedly such a nice castle it is really buggy!

On the whole this is not the worst game I ever played but it is boring. Mind numbingly boring by the last third. The end does just that, END. With no real point.
If you just want a game with many hog scenes you will like this. It is an easy game with LOTS of HOGs. Some of which do not seem to have anything to do with the continuity of the game.
I'd give it one

posted in Valerie Porter and the Scarlet Scandal on Sep 7, 10 7:34 PM
Enjoyed this game quite a bit.
The story line was great and definitly made me keep going.
The graphics were quite clear and crisp. No darkness, no blurring.
The music and soundtrack in general I really enjoyed. Definitely appropriate to the time frame.
The "mini-games" were totally related to the storyline and gave the feel you were just continuing the plot. Very entertaining.
The variations on the HOGs were great. So much to do in each scene.
I found the chain action made otherwise simple scenes very challenging and fun.

On the whole I was very pleased with this one. The time frame is not one used very often and was such a great concept.
Hope this becomes a series at some point.
I most certainly give this for the fun I had playing it a full 5 thunbs up!

posted in Dominic Crane 2: Dark Mystery Revealed on Sep 6, 10 7:37 AM
CasualGran wrote:Great game! I have played the first with pleasure and it seems like the sequel is good for another couple of hours playfun.

It's a bit of an adventure game. You have to look around thoroughly, pick up things to use them later and sometimes look for objects on a short list, that's filled with new objects as you go. No timer, so that's great , and if you click too much your cursor freezes a few seconds. Sometimes you have to solve a puzzle. Not too hard, pleasantly challenging.

Crisp graphics and an interesting story that will lead to answers this time make this game a definite buy for me.

out of 5

Happy gaming everyone!

Well since I've noticed that our tastes seem to run along the same lines so I'm off to DL.
Thanks for early heads up.

posted in The Blackwell Convergence on Sep 3, 10 8:58 PM
maxminpin wrote:I downloaded game twice and got same message. Problem with mode 640 x 400 (32 bit). Failed to create direct 3D device. Graphic card drives do not support resolution. Then it states to run game again and try another set up program and try other resolution. What does this mean? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for replys.

I had the same problem. The other 2 Blackwell games ran fine on my machine. Not sure why this one was so testy. Can't drop my res that low.
First game I have ever had problems with.

posted in Time Dreamer on Sep 3, 10 8:39 PM
I enjoyed this game quite a bit.
Loaded in well.
Had no problem with the cursor.
Graphics were clear and full on my wide screen. Many varied scenes set in the past, the present and the future.
Location transitions were quick and smooth.
Music fit the scenes.
There were no voice overs and the writing was done quite well.
Story line was interesting and quite entertaining. Humorous responses.
I played the difficult mode and stayed away from hints. Just sat back and took my time. Game took me about 4.5 hours.
The items hidden in plain site but well hidden just the same.
Didn't hold my hand or lead me by the nose. Challenging but not really difficult. Enough to make it hold my interest.
This was a very entertaining and relaxing game.
Hope they make a sequel.
Definitely have to give it:

Catlander wrote:I enjoyed the game overall, but had a HORRIBLE time with the story portions. They loaded very, very slowly and about drove me crazy. Anyone else have a problem with this?

peace

I didn't have this problem. I'm so sorry that you did.

posted in Escape from Frankenstein's Castle on Sep 2, 10 8:07 AM
Just finished my hour and apparently have gone through a little over 1/2 the game.
Although there was loading between scenes I didn't seem to have the long lag time others did. In fact they were quite quick.
I had been looking forward to this game since Mudrock's announcement.
Unfortunately I found this game almost mind numbingly easy. Nothing really to figure out. Just collecting and using. The steps lead right from one to another and once you've picked up something it is apparent, quite quickly, what you need to do with it. The spectre that is your hint system basically tells you exactly what you need to do as opposed to just nudging.
The graphics are really quite nice but the story line is almost silly. You wake up from an accident, a ghost talks to you, are put to work repairing odd machines and you aren't worried about what is going on?

If you are just jumping into the adventure genre than this would probably be a great game for you.
Probably not a buy for me as it just seemed in the last few minutes I was going through the motions.
Have to venture to another part of the pond for my entertainment...have fun Fishies.

I did want to add that I do agree this is not labled correctly. It is not a HOG in any sense. Definitely an "Adventure".

posted in Drawn: Dark Flight ® Collector's Edition on Aug 31, 10 3:40 PM
I personally enjoyed the first Drawn but before actually spending for a CE of the sequel I would love to know game length. I seem to remember the first being rather short.
Are there any fishes who have played through and have a general time including bonus play?

Update:

Should have swam farther down the forum.....Averaging 4 hours plus 1/2 to 1 hour for bonus.

....Thanks Fishies

posted in Haunted Hotel: Lonely Dream on Aug 29, 10 9:46 AM
talisman018 wrote:Hi, Fishies!

Thanks for all the reviews! I have the first two HH games and had been wondering how much like them this game is. So far, a few people have said that it's even better, so I'm looking forward to the 1 hour trial.

My questions to those who have already played it are:
1/ what kinds of mini-games are there?
2/ is there a lot of variety in them or are they very similar to each other?

Thanks so much!
Happy gaming!

(Oh, hey! I just turned into a squid! Wow! )

The mini games are quite varied. Pipes, jigsaw, mixed wires, simon says, number codes...etc. All types. Can't remember any repeating but I could be wrong. The mini games were one of my positives about this game.

posted in Haunted Hotel: Lonely Dream on Aug 28, 10 9:45 PM
Finished the game in a little over 3.5 hours. Can't say it was a bad game. I just can't put my finger on it but just never really held me.
Loaded in fine.
The graphics were nice and crisp. Some of the scenes were quite imaginative.
The soundtrack was there but not really annoying.
The items were obvious and yet still hidden.
I managed to get through with no hints but was still challenged.
The cut scenes were not long.
I did enjoy the mini games quite a lot. They were a nice mix.
Though an IHOG the interaction was quick and direct. I guess I prefer a little more guess work.
I think what turned me off in the long run was the weak story line. It just seemed slightly disjointed. After the second hour it almost felt like I just needed to finish. I'm sure this all just a matter of taste and, as such, it will be well liked by others.
There's been a run of really good games lately that could be coloring my opinion.
Not a bad game just not a great one for me. Would probably give it a 3 out of 5.

posted in Reincarnations: Uncover the Past Collector's Edition on Aug 26, 10 8:15 AM
Thanks Catghost for the info. That probably makes it a buy for me as I always play advanced also. 5+ hours is a bargain at the price.
Happy gaming fishies!

posted in Reincarnations: Uncover the Past Collector's Edition on Aug 26, 10 5:56 AM
What a treat to open my email and discover the new price listings. I'm now much more receptive to the CEs.
BF remains the best game site out there!!!
Looking forward to DLing Reincarnations 2. Does anyone yet have an idea of the length? That is always a major factor with me.

Off to play......

posted in Elixir of Immortality on Jul 21, 10 9:09 AM
One of those games that are sooooo easy to review.
I do not have a single complaint. Not one negative other than I was sorry when it ended.

posted in Hotel on Jul 21, 10 8:47 AM
Excellent game.
Loaded fine.Ran for me with zero glitches.
Great story that held my interest.
Graphics were nice and crisp on my machine.
Length was good but not great. Could have been longer considering it was an adventure but wasn't so short as to not be worth it.
Hint button was convenient as it showed the options available on the screen. Just a functional button that did not need to refill.
Music was not annoying or intrusive. Appropriate to the scenes.
Reasonably challenging overall but not difficult.
Liked this concept and will be interested in what these developers come up with next.

posted in Elixir of Immortality on Jul 20, 10 9:15 AM
Excellent game on so many levels.
Very nice IHOG.
Loads in well with no glitches.
Strategy guide included.
Story line is cohesive and interesting. Characters are delightful.
Items appropriate to the story.
Graphics are clear and crisp. Even the few darker scenes have great resolution.
A lot of moving around with many, many locations but logical movement.
Music appropriate, imaginative and not intrusive.
Hint refills at a good pace.
Mini games are challenging but not difficult with some thought.
Skip button available for mini games.
No real penalty, just a warning, for over clicking.
Long game play. Took me 6+ hours with only minor interuption.
Full screen, wide screen, sound, effects and cursor options.
Definitely an enjoyable experience!

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator