Posts created by roaming

posted in Royal Detective: The Princess Returns on Mar 28, 18 7:24 PM
Why didn't they just title this game "Plethora of Gratuitous Puzzles" and be done with it?

Honestly, I could count the seconds off between puzzles... 10, 9, 8... you get the picture. Er, I mean puzzle.

In the last "Princess" game, she was a very, very bad girl. Now she's a real sweetie named Princess who's in love with a guy named Prince. Apparently, she was just misunderstood. Ah, well.

If you love puzzles, you're going to love this game. Other than that, I guess there's not much wrong with it. It's just not for me.

posted in Dark City: London on Mar 28, 18 6:11 PM
I didn't care for this game at all and quit before the demo was up. There are way too many puzzles... puzzles within HOS and HOS within puzzles. I also didn't like the deduction tool, which in effect is simply yet another puzzle. What with all of that going on, it felt like the game was moving forward way too slowly, and nothing to hold my interest. The graphics were just okay in some cases, blurred and grainy in others. I can't recommend this game.

posted in Royal Detective: The Lord of Statues on Mar 26, 18 4:38 AM
There were only 7 chimera eyes, not 8. So now I have 11 eyes, not the 12 that are required to move forward. I've looked repeatedly for another eye on or near the chimera, but it's just not there. I can't finish the game.

posted in Mystery Trackers: Train to Hellswich on Sep 9, 16 6:12 AM
I can't find the last part of the scoop either. I've clicked on the hint, and all that happens is the toad hops down but there's no hint. Nor can I go on without finding the last part of the scoop, because when I back out of the HOS and try to get a hint, it just points back to the HOS.

posted in Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's Metzengerstein on Aug 22, 16 10:11 PM
While this game isn't awful, in my opinion it's only mediocre -- mediocre due to the endless running around, common in some HOPA games, collecting whatever you need to craft whatever it is you're going to use to put out the fire or rescue the damsel or free the prisoner, most of which requires you to find the peanuts to feed the squirrel who's hiding the can opener to open the cat food to feed the cat who's sitting on a piece of the puzzle you must solve to open the chest, etc. etc. etc., and meanwhile the barn is still burning and the damsel is dying of smoke inhalation. Such is not adventure but an unimaginative string of tasks designed to hide a short, vapid plot.

So not awful, but not interesting enough to make me want to buy it.

posted in Shadow Wolf Mysteries: Curse of Wolfhill on May 16, 16 8:17 AM
dancemom1 wrote:This game was boring for me and in my opinion, the worst of the series, so no purchase. I'm not even sure a beginner would find this one fun.

I can't believe I bought this turkey with a game credit. What a waste. The graphics were mediocre, the voiceover acting terrible, the story preposterous. Some have said it was short, and I guess that's true, but I couldn't wait for it to be over! Luckily the custom settings allowed for speedy puzzle skipping which made it just that much sooner I could get to the end.

posted in Lost Lands: The Golden Curse on May 11, 16 12:03 AM
bessiegirl wrote:Review of the SE: Well, I bought this with a credit without playing the demo because of all the 5 star ratings and reviews. Can't say I agree with them now. I am finding the game a bit on the slow side. Transporter map is located in a difficult spot and you have to keep clicking on it to open. Waaaaay to much dialog and cut scenes and it really gets annoying, tired of picking up journal sheets, stopped reading them as they were lengthy and appeared to be unnecessary.

HOS are shadow, interactive and tedious, puzzles can be simple to tedious. Animations, and color are very good..I'll give it a good one there. Storyline is confusing...not quite sure who this chick is and how she got to where she is. The little girl is annoying.

Really getting tired of jumping all over the place to get one inventory item and then jumping back and then jumping again. You get to a scene and everything you click on needs something that is not in your inventory so off you go again. Arrrrgh. I'm going to take a break from it for awhile. I give it only a 2+ out of 5. If its as long as some gamers have stated, I don't know if I'll make it to the end. Yawn.
Ditto

posted in Sea of Lies: Beneath the Surface on May 9, 16 11:25 PM
You can turn off helpful messages in the custom settings, but you can't get rid of "Let's see," "What could I possibly do here," "Let me think," etc. ad nauseum every time you click on some object in a scene. And if that doesn't drive you nuts, the stiff posture of the characters and the horrid phony accents in the dialogue will.
I don't recommend this game.

posted in Mystery Case Files: Key to Ravenhearst on Apr 7, 16 8:00 AM
MaryEl wrote:Game started out great. Then it became all about machines, etc. And I am not a fan of these. Puzzles galore which I mostly skipped. My opinion is this is nothing like the first games in this series. I found I was mostly using the hint to move on in the game. Disappointed to say the least.

Very tedious game play due to constantly needing a hint, even within trying to solve some of the puzzles that couldn't be skipped. Definitely not going to be getting this one.

posted in Danse Macabre: Lethal Letters on Mar 23, 16 4:04 AM
Sorry, EIPIX.

Since yet again there is no way to turn off your annoying pop-ups -- "I have to consider my options," "Now let's see," and "What could I possibly do here?" etc. -- this game is another no for me. Why you think they add anything to the game, I can't imagine. Really, they're simply irritating.

posted in Dead Reckoning: Broadbeach Cove on Mar 21, 16 10:38 PM
I'm fed up with games that every time you click to investigate something in a scene, up pops a black bar saying, "I should reconsider my options," or, "What could I possibly do here?" etc. I like to look around to see what's in a scene, so those messages are continually popping up. It's extremely annoying and destroys any possible enjoyment of the game for me. There is a custom setting, and you can set the hint and skip refills to 10 seconds which I like, but no way to turn off those silly pop-ups. The graphics are colorful and clear. There was one puzzle which I skipped because I don't like puzzles and mini-games, but no HOS in the 14 minutes I played the demo.

Otherwise, the Florida cop has a Brooklyn accent which was kind of weird. Also, there's a lie-detecting gimmicky thing, and I don't like gimmicks either, so I guess this isn't the game for me.

posted in Tales of Terror: Estate of the Heart on Mar 18, 16 9:00 PM
Sorry, but just no. After about 20 minutes, I was sick of mechanical eyeballs, a paranormal gimmicky thing, and unimaginative, repetitive HOS, and story line that made no sense. The best thing I can say about this game is the custom mode allows immediate hint and skip refills.

I don't recommend this game.

posted in Mysteries of the Past: Shadow of the Daemon on Feb 17, 16 9:41 PM
I can't get the skeleton's jaw open either. Please leave the solution for me and others with the same problem. Thanks.

posted in The Last Dream on Feb 16, 16 10:55 PM
I'm sorry, but it was too weird for me, and the lack of a map was a serious hindrance. Plus it was too hard to follow the story what with flipping back and forth when the real guy would show up. It would have been less confusing if it had just stayed in the dream world. The strangeness and interrupting the continuity really threw it off kilter. If that was the goal, it was successful.

posted in Reflections of Life: Dark Architect on Feb 12, 16 9:27 PM
Fantasy and magic, worlds being destroyed, a queen who needs rescuing... but too many mini-games ruined the flow of the story for me. The title hints at darkness, but bright colors and sparkling reflections dominated the artwork. One HOS involved a pop-up book with beautiful pages that unfold and fold! Wow!! That alone was worth playing the demo!

Personally, I had a hard time getting into this game, but I think it will certainly have high appeal to lovers of fantasy and puzzle fans. There's a lot to do and look at, so have fun.

posted in Myths of the World: The Whispering Marsh on Jan 6, 16 2:11 AM
If only there were a way to turn off all the "What could I possibly do here?" and "Let me think," nonsense, I would have been able to enjoy this game better. It's pervasive and unnecessary and drives me nuts. I thought the story was intriguing, and I might have finished the demo but for that. Unfortunately, it's something this developer seems to think is "cute" and uses in all their games, but for me it's extremely annoying.

posted in Hidden Expedition: Dawn of Prosperity on Sep 29, 15 5:55 PM
Sorry, but I didn't care for this game at all.

I came across three puzzles that could not be skipped in the 27 minutes I played, and that's a big no-no for me. Maybe looking through the tourist binoculars was supposed to be a HOP, but it required moving the view and adjusting the focus, so it played like a puzzle. In fact, the HOP inside the van included working a puzzle, but that one was easy enough.

I don't like gimmicks in HO games. This one had a signal finder that you have to get on exactly the right pixel. I knew where the signal was coming from but I couldn't get it to hit the exact spot, nor could it be dropped. Come to think of it, that also equals a puzzle that can't be skipped.

For me, there's no point continuing to play a game just to find out if it will get better when it isn't holding my interest, requires a hint at every turn, and has puzzles I can't skip.

posted in Sea of Lies: Tide of Treachery on Sep 3, 15 11:16 PM
granny_gruff wrote:Ships have disappeared at sea, including one carrying the Duke of Reddington, sent by the Crown to investigate the mystery. Rumors of the Sea Ripper have swirled around the ship sinkings and our lady detective has been sent to investigate.
I bought the CE version of this game. The Sea of Lies series has been so good up to this point, that I couldn’t resist.
That said, I warn you that the lack of logic and continuity is likely to make you reject any further offerings from this developer!
For instance: You pick the lock on a one room cabin to find that the two people you saw go in and lock the door, are gone. You find a single hatch on the floor with a padlock on the outside. You melt the lock with acid, climb down after the two miscreants, and find the, now, double doors locked behind you! You eventually manage to blow up the two doors, climb out and close the, once again, single hatch behind you!
I recommend you try the demo and brace yourself. I think you’ll find decent game-play, intriguing puzzles, good multi-layered HOPs, and a fairly decent story if you can ignore the continuity and logic problems.
Just be sure to take a trial sail on the Demo before you dive in to a buy.
After playing only the demo portion of this game, I agree with granny_gruff re: lack of logic and continuity. The hatch door in the floor is but one example.

Custom settings are helpful, especially since I hate puzzles and skip them all if possible. I did need to continually use the hints to know where to go and in some cases what to do next, but it might be you won't have the same trouble.

I definitely recommend you try this one, but I think I'll wait until comes out as a DD or on a sale.

posted in Maze: Subject 360 on Aug 30, 15 7:59 PM
bluejen wrote:I bought the CE and couldn't stand the game. It was dark, depressing, dirty and I hated it. Wish I had my money back.
I played 30 minutes of the demo. Ditto what bluejen said, plus I was so bored I couldn't stand it.

posted in Beyond: Light Advent on Aug 27, 15 11:48 PM
Continually needing to get a hint isn't my idea of fun. I even needed hints to find the glowing shapes in one of the first HOS.

I also resented the stereotyping of the sci fi geek in the observatory and the man in the kiosk at the drive in. I guess the devs thought it would be funny. I didn't think so.

Too bad the role you play isn't a male. This seems like more of a guy's game. It's definitely not for me.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator