Posts created by Gill_R

posted in Atlantis Adventure on Nov 7, 15 2:20 PM
I recently bought the "8 lives forever" upgrade and - unless I'm having a senior moment - regeneration now takes longer per life.

Can someone who is still on 5 lives please confirm what the regeneration/recharge time per life is?

posted in The Torment of Mont Triste Collector's Edition on Oct 12, 13 9:59 AM
belamba wrote:Played this on my 2013 Macbook Pro retina display running Mountain Lion OS X version 10.8.5.

After finishing the trial hour I bought the game, but it didn't save my place. On starting after buying it, took me right back to the beginning again :-((

Luckily I could whizz through it all again, but had to play to the end of the game (including bonus chapter) without a break in case it did it again.

Just wondered if BFG tech mods around today, they could help me prevent this from happening again.

I had the same problem: on an iMac running 10.7.5. Weirdly, the game remembered the alterations I'd made to the settings, just not my place in the game. Same thing happened when the game crashed partway through the Bonus game: it took me back to the beginning.

posted in Awakening: The Sunhook Spire Collector's Edition on Aug 17, 13 5:29 AM
Chapter 3 - just placed the colorglass keys to free the Enchantress and after the cutscene that follows, the game crashes & closes out on me. Doesn't matter whether I try to skip the scene, use the 'continue' button or let it play out .

I've uninstalled and reinstalled: same problem.

I'm on a Mac, OSX 10.7.5 and everything is up to date.

posted in League of Light: Dark Omens Collector's Edition on Jul 20, 13 7:48 AM
I've just played the entire game (& bonus game) and while I thought that there were both pros and cons to this game, overall I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The linear action in the early stages DOES change as the game progresses, which I liked. Good test of the old memory! The puzzles were mostly very easy, but that doesn't upset me because I play these games purely for fun & relaxation. If other things are good, even though my preference is for a mix of difficulties, I'd rather have all easy puzzles than all hard ones.

I thought the graphics were excellent and there lots of different locations to enjoy. There was a fair bit of variety in the HO scenes which were not too frequent and the hint system was good, especially for pointing you in the right direction, to the point I didn't once use the SG.

Can't comment on music or voiceovers because I rarely, if ever, play with sound.

I enjoyed playing spot-the-owl: some of the placements & appearances did raise a smile

The bonus game did seem to be a completely different game, though, although there was some stuff in it to tie it up with the main game. Seemed a decent length too, although I have no idea how long it actually took.

I think my main complaint - and it's a minor one - is that I kept stopping to think how much the game owed to well-know fantasy novels/films: Harry Potter and LOTR in particular.

posted in Otherworld: Omens of Summer Collector's Edition on Feb 3, 13 7:22 AM
I have never had a problem downloading games before but this game ...... started the download about 3 hours ago (may even have been 4, not sure) and it's just crawled it's way to 51%. Speedtest shows my d/load speed at just over 10Mb so I don't think the problem is my end.

I'm tempted to ditch it and try and start again but don't want to risk it not being any better.

EDITED TO UPDATE: the d/l finally finished: took between 6 & 7 hours

The game plays fine ... and I'm off to buy

<deleted because I made a silly mistake, was looking to use the wrong item>

Downloaded the trial version of the CE today and had been playing for around about 40 - 45 mins, I think, when the game froze on me. As in totally froze the imac: I had to power off and restart.

But this is the really weird bit: it has disappeared from Game Manager. It still shows in "Applications" but won't start up from there.

I was looking forward to picking up this CE with today's coupon offer but am reluctant to reinstall only to find the same issue occurs. Up until then, it had been playing perfectly.

Am running OSX 10.7.4 and all my software is up to date (have just double checked).

Any ideas?

posted in Depths of Betrayal Collector's Edition on Apr 15, 12 6:54 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed this game. It ticked all the boxes for me as far as this type of game is concerned:

Fabulous graphics, technically as well as artistically
Lots of interesting scenes to explore
No junkpile HOGs
Good hint system (I did use the built in SG 3 or 4 times but that was because I left the game and had to remind myself where I was when I came back to it)
Cut scenes you can skip (hey, let's get on with playing )
Not too much dialogue and what there was could be clicked through quickly (great if you're a fast reader). The dialogue was also pretty good in that it was brief and I didn't notice any glaring oddities, which often seems to happen with games from countries where English isn't their first language

I enjoyed the steam-punk setting and the mechanics of the gameplay and even though I "got lost" quite a few times (as in "I've found object X, now where on earth did I need to use it?"), I just used my confusion as an excuse to enjoy the fantastical world the devs have created.

I rarely have music and/or voices on so can't comment on those other to say that in the first half hour or so of play when I dd have sound on, it didn't irritate me (which happens more often than not).

I smiled a lot playing this game: it's good fun.

posted in Surface: Mystery of Another World Collector's Edition on Mar 13, 12 3:04 PM
I really enjoyed this game but there were a few things about it that I didn't like, particularly the voice-overs and live actors. Almost - almost - bad enough to be good... but not quite. But as I always end up turning the voices off (if an option) or more likely the sound off altogether, that wasn't a big issue. The ambient sounds were - as far as I listened to them- very good. The music was OK but, as I said, I usually play with the sound off.

No offence intended to the guys who do the live acting, but I found the script & delivery cheesy and the costumes very am-dram. Somehow, I don't mind that so much when the characters are digital!

On the positive side, I loved the graphics and enjoyed the multitude of settings. I also like the original way they made the HOS interactive and many of the minigames were new (to me) or at least variations on an old theme.

Some of the objects you had to find and use caused a few "uh?' moments but given the fantasy setting and the fact that this is, after all, a game played for fun, I didn't mind. Hints were quick to refill and the game lasted a good long time.

I don't care about soundtracks or wallpapers so to me the only benefit form a CE is the SG - which I found good - and the bonus gameplay, which lasted a decent time.

posted in Otherworld: Spring of Shadows Collector's Edition on Jan 25, 12 10:50 AM
So far, my preference has tended towards the "dark & eerie" type of game but I'm finding this game to be thoroughly enjoyable, despite not being that genre.

It looks to be pretty long (I haven't finished it yet); most of the puzzles are fairly simple but there are enough of them and enough of a variety to make up for that. There are hints a'plenty if you want them but no annoying hand-holding if you don't.

The graphics are superb and I really love the fact that this game appears to have been designed for widescreen, so no s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d-scenes and people

I have one criticism: too many "manual dexterity" minigames (with no skip option ): I am having a particularly hard time with one and it's enough to make me think I'd be reluctant to replay the game. They are probably a lot easier for those who use a graphics tablet: like the game designers do, I suspect, but probably not the majority of players.

posted in Haunted Past: Realm of Ghosts on Jan 22, 12 8:44 AM
I've just played the hour's demo and will definitely be buying this game when I start a new PC next month.

I thought the graphics were superb. Yes, they're dark - which fits the theme - but beautifully done and I found them suitably clear. So much to look at and enjoy in each scene. While the "Area Cleared" notifications were great to avoid fruitless searches, I found I still lingered in some of the rooms just to enjoy those gorgeous scenes.

IMO, the presentation of the SG was fine. OK, so maybe it meant two clicks instead of one, but I would much rather have that that find myself accidentally seeing more than I wanted to to at any particular moment.

I also enjoyed the HOG scenes, the items were hidden in plain sight and none of them were fudged.

Loved the customisation available, although sometimes the sparklies were a tad OTT. But then, sometimes I just want to play a game for fun & relaxation and not have to over-tax my remaining brain cells so a few extra sparklies is a small price to pay.

I rarely have the music on and NEVER the voices, so can't comment on those.

I'm a bit "meh" on this one. Because I got disturbed during the demo, and didn't play a full hour, I thought it was going to be a different storyline to the way it turned out. I'm not one to care all that much about the plots: I enjoy the gameplay, graphics & puzzles usually without taking too much notice of the plot but this just felt disjointed.

I didn't miss a map, found it pretty easy to get around and I don't mind to-ing and fro-ing too much when I'm enjoying the graphics, and those I did like.

Puzzles were on the easy side I felt but there seemed to be a good mix of them and HOS, not too much of one or the other.

Bonus play wasn't bad but I wish I'd bough the SE and not the CE. That'll teach me to impulse-buy! ;-o

posted in Mystery Legends: Beauty and the Beast on Dec 4, 11 1:47 PM
I wasn't particularly interested by this game when I saw it but gave the trial a try and oh my goodness, it is a total delight!

The graphics are wonderful, a real treat. Something to lose yourself in and I probably spent longer on the game than I might have done because I enjoyed the scenes so much: but that's a bonus in my book!

I found the puzzles to be mostly on the easy side (hey, it's Sunday, my brain needed a rest ) and the HOS - although they were each visited a couple of times - were a real delight. Some of them were quite unusual and they were in different styles, which was also refreshing.

The map was a excellent help - I think this is the first time I have managed to complete a game without banging my head up against the wall and looking at a strategy guide/walkthrough somewhere along the way.

The only other thing I will say that is that much as I enjoyed the ending scene (again, very different to the norm) it is NOT for anyone who is seriously disturbed by our eight-legged friends. But it was fun ;-o

I would think this game would be good for both kids and adults.

Loved this game!! Can't really add much to any of the positive reviews already posted except to say that as someone who normally always skips cutscenes, I found these short and mostly enjoyable. The voice acting left a bit to be desired, IMO, but hey, this is a game, not a Hollywood movie

There were a few naming oddities in the HOS, I suspect due to translation errors, but the hints sorted those out so that's not an issue unless you're anal about getting every single one yourself. Notebook/Map and Evidence wall were great for keeping track of where you were and what needed to be done without handing it to you on a plate. I am def not an expert player and have a sometimes-awful short-term memory, so when I found that I had gathered all the parts for an artifact & the hint system would show me an arrow as to which direction to travel - but not name the location - when I couldn't remember which location the puzzle was in, I was overjoyed because it saved a lot of faffing about!

Even using those hints a few times, this was still a long game - and all the more enjoyable for that.

My only (tongue in cheek) regret is that I didn't start this game earlier in the day ..... I had a VERY late night ;-o

posted in Mystery Legends: The Phantom of the Opera on Dec 2, 11 11:19 AM
Disclaimer: I'm not concerned with the storyline in these games, I just like to see great graphics and a good mix of HOS and puzzles and deduction. I also always have the sound off (only ever played one game when I enjoyed the soundtrack enough to leave it on!)

With that said, this game's graphics are fabulous. There was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing, especially towards the end but I didn't mind that as I thoroughly enjoyed moving through the many areas, often stopping just to enjoy them. I found it quite easy to remember what was where and how to get there, and the map was a great help too, especially at first. I'm not an expert player (yet ) and I would never have completed the end stages without the walkthrough - so thank you BFG for that!

The puzzles were all pretty easy; I did skip one but that was mostly because I kept getting interrupted and eventually lost patience with it.

The HOS were ... different. I think nearly every HOS gets a repeat (but there was so much "stuff" in each one, that wasn't an issue). I agree with may others who have said that some of the objects are a bit too well-hidden. Not to mention obscure in their own right, never mind because of how well they were hidden. But I didn't mind that too much although I did find myself using the hint button and wishing it recharged faster a couple of times.

This game took a nice long time to play and, IMO, was well worth the buy.

posted in Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek on Dec 1, 11 12:32 PM
Or have I gone cross-eyed (too many HOS, no doubt)?

I can only find the CE available in Mac downloads.

posted in Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ on Nov 29, 11 11:55 AM
I don't regret buying this game because I was totally fascinated by the wonderful graphics but oh my goodness, those scenes with the actors really irritated me! They took far too long and, because I'm a quick reader, I would have much preferred to have a text-only option where I could zip on to the next bit as soon as I'd read the previous line. There didn't seem to be any way to get through the game without going through those scenes, either.

I also didn't like the fact that there were so many short sections with a lot of guidance, I prefer to be able to stumble around ;-o

posted in Shiver: Vanishing Hitchhiker on Nov 29, 11 11:23 AM
Well, I just came in to post to say just how much I enjoyed this game, I'm fairly new to BFG but of all the games I have bought and played through so far, this one is my favourite.

Loved the graphics (and I liked the flashlight stuff!) and didn't mind the sparklies. Although, like the previous poster, it was a tad annoying that the ex-active areas still sparkled - but at least they were 'dead' areas so I didn't waste much time on them.

I usually play the with sound off but I did like the mix of music and sound effects in this game. I though the HOS were a mix of easy and less so, and that I also liked.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator