Posts created by timbermoon

posted in Mortimer Beckett and the Lost King on May 29, 16 1:13 PM
The Mortimer Beckett games are several years old. I think it is possible that these puzzles were not intended to go by so quickly, but they do so on faster computers. I have run into this kind of problem with older games before.

If you do a search, you should be able to find a simple program that you can use to reduce the speed of your computer temporarily so you can run older games successfully. I used it for the problem spots in this game, and it worked well.

posted in Zombie Solitaire on Nov 25, 13 5:28 PM
I like the game fairly well. I enjoy the music, and the atmosphere is surprisingly good.

However, a few things about the game bother me. The worst one is that once the last card in a level is turned over and it is a card you can't use, the level is over. You are not given the opportunity to play any bonus cards to try to get a perfect on the level. It would have been better if you could determine for yourself when the level is finished - they could easily have included a button marked "Done" or "Next Level."

Another problem is that they give you a small draw pile, and sometimes there are as few as two active cards in the playing field. It is very easy, in those circumstances, to burn through a large number of cards trying to find one you can play. It seems that they are forcing the player to use bonus cards, and I am accustomed to those being more for extending the combo meter or getting out of very tight spots than for standard level completion.

My third problem is that I have not been able to find an undo button. If there is one, it has escaped my notice. (I am not saying that this is impossible, of course. I have missed things before. ) All together, these characteristics make the game seem a bit unforgiving.

Overall, I find it playable, and relatively enjoyable, but not quite what it could have been.

posted in Druid Kingdom on Jun 25, 13 7:27 AM
I love games of this type, and find this one to be charming in setting and appearance. I really enjoy the music, as well. However, the time required for gold on the levels is completely ridiculous, and it is difficult to achieve that rank even if you do everything in the right order, and without hesitation. Also, the inability to assign tasks in advance is a serious problem. Being forced to wait until the worker is back in the cottage before assigning a new task is infuriating. When two tasks are very close together, the worker should be able to do one and then the other, without running to home base every time, and then back to where the previous task was.

Furthermore, having bonus items to find in the levels is enjoyable, but having them appear briefly and then disappear while you are concentrating on something else, like beating the harsh time limits, is frustrating.

Come on, developers, you know better than this. Give us an option on the timer, or, at the very least, be more generous with the time allowed. (Different difficulty settings could allow for variation in the time limits.) I play these games for relaxation and entertainment. If I wanted stress, I could easily find it in real life.

posted in Scarytales: All Hail King Mongo on Mar 2, 13 9:38 AM
I have finished the game, and quite enjoyed it. I like fairy-tale settings, and the story was appealing. The mix of puzzles and hidden object scenes seemed balanced, and I found the hint system helpful.

My primary complaint is that the game is very short, and the world you move through is quite small. My other complaint is that Mongo is a very silly name. I agree that the first part of the game title and the second part do not work together.

posted in Age of Mahjong on Mar 1, 13 5:14 PM
flutterbyz24 wrote:Played 3 games and then the screen froze. Then came the access error violation window which gave me a black screen and would not allow me to even access my task manager to shut it down.

That is EXACTLY how far I got. The game froze and I had a hard time even terminating it manually.

posted in But to Paint a Universe on Feb 15, 13 9:54 AM
Yes, the game developers are brilliant, but unfortunately they are not very clear. Barbiecats, you are brilliant, and clear. Once I read your explanation, I was able to proceed with the game, and find that I love it. The initial confusion was a little off-putting, but, now that I know what is going on, I think the game is marvelous. I suspect that the tendency to assume that it is a match-3 is a big part of the problem. I originally approached it as something like Collapse, which didn't work well at all.

This game is original, soothing, beautiful, and has lovely piano music in the background. Think of it as a zen-like venture into a fairy tale which wants to scramble your brain.

posted in The Mirror Mysteries: Forgotten Kingdoms on Jan 24, 13 3:02 PM
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why this game is almost 2 GB?

posted in Escape the Lost Kingdom on Jan 19, 13 8:02 AM

I really didn't enjoy this one. More than anything, I found it to be annoying, both in interface and in content. This is a small thing, but it bothered me: first the cat was a female, and then it was a male. I find it distracting when the details are not consistent. Also, when you click on something which triggers speech from one of the characters, if you click it again, the character repeats that speech, whether it was completed the first time or not. So, if you accidentally click on something more than once, the character's words will be repeated and overlaid, so you will hear it multiple times, but out of sync.

These aren't huge issues, but they were irritating enough to prevent my buying the game.

posted in King Oddball on Dec 31, 12 5:45 AM
Yes, for the first game of 2013, we have a...helmeted ball...that can pick up rocks with its tongue.

Soft release, indeed, Valdy.

Have a safe evening, all!

posted in Mystery Case Files®: Shadow Lake on Dec 30, 12 6:35 AM
The 2012 sales figures could not, in any way, determine the winners in many other categories, though. "Best Artwork," "Best Story," "Creepiest Game," and categories of that sort, which call for a very specific and subjective judgement, cannot be determined by sales.

Even calling a game "Game of the Year" based solely on sales is deceptive, particularly when it is a game which has both a Collector's and a Standard Edition. Does anyone doubt that the sales of both versions contribute to the final sales figures? By this method, only games which come out in a CE first have much chance at the title, because, to have equivalent sales to a CE/SE game, a standard game would have to bought by twice as many people as the CE version, plus the same number as the SE version, of the other game. I believe that using sales figures to determine quality is spurious and misleading.

There have been plenty of good games which did not come out in a CE version, which is all to the good, in my opinion. Is a game like that excluded from the running, in a practical sense, due to the fact that we were permitted to purchase the entire game up front for $6.99? It appears to be a system which rewards greed.

posted in Mystery Case Files®: Shadow Lake on Dec 29, 12 1:41 AM
I, also, was wondering how this came to be game of the year. Obviously customer reviews are not a deciding factor in these "Best PC Games" designations. I don't see how the number of sales could be, either, because how would something like "Best Artwork" or "Creepiest Game" be determined that way? The only way these awards would have any validity would be if BFG customers actually voted for these games specifically in these categories - and not just certain customers, but all who wished to vote. I come to Big Fish every day, and I am not aware of having had an opportunity to vote for the year-end winners.

It appears that BFG used a method which has long been favored by politicians - decide what you want the truth to be, and then declare it to be so. Perhaps this whole "Customer Favorites" fiasco has been rigged to glorify the monumental failure that is Shadow Lake.

I feel ambivalent about this game. I found several things about it enjoyable, but thought it a little jarring. The bizarre combination of live actors and animation disturbed me, as did several anachronistic details. For example, the detective appears to live in 20th-century France, but he can take a train to a seemingly medieval country with both unicorns and photographic technology. Strange. The hint system being a telephone seemed out of place to me, as well.

The prince says that he would give up all his riches for just one night with the woman he loves, whom he met yesterday. In the fairy tales I remember, the prince wouldn't have expected to sleep with a woman he met yesterday. I find that to be a rather sad commentary, adding a cynical note to an otherwise fairy-tale-like setting.

I loved the opening art, and enjoyed the graphics and the style of the hidden object scenes, but was disappointed with the game in many ways.

posted in Patchworkz™ on Dec 3, 12 9:57 PM

I found this game charming. I enjoy puzzle games, and this one has a lot of character. The pieces are interestingly shaped, and the materials from which they are cut add appeal. Trying to get three stars on each puzzle is challenging, and gives the game a lot of replay value.

I am enjoying it immensely.

posted in Mystery Case Files®: Shadow Lake Collector's Edition on Nov 20, 12 3:47 PM

It depresses me when a series gets worse as it goes along, but MCF manages to do that. This game is cheesy and overacted (and I hate live acting in these games anyway - I find it jarring), the hidden object scenes are strange and unsatisfying, and the strategy guide and interface are just...well, weird. I feel that my intelligence and credulity have both been insulted.

Not even the offer of half-price CEs could tempt me to saddle myself with this misbegotten venture into low-budget reality TV. I have deleted the game, and now I am going to go do something more fun than playing this demo was, like check the expiration dates on my dairy products.

posted in Journey: The Heart of Gaia on Nov 7, 12 8:51 PM
Greetings, Fishies!

I love this game! It has to be one of my favorites. I love the fairy-tale like graphics, and the puzzles are wonderful. The story is interesting, and the map (which will take you to any screen you have previously visited, and indicate where there are tasks for you to complete) makes the gameplay smooth and eliminates backtracking. In addition, the subject matter is not gloomy or evil.

Playing this game reminds me of when I was a child, and an animated movie I had been longing to see came on TV.

Excellent job, developers! I couldn't be more pleased.

I actually enjoy the puzzles more than the hidden object scenes, so I like that aspect of this game. All in all, I am finding it fun. However, I do have to rant about one thing. I don't know if anyone here sews, but I do, and this irritated me beyond all reason: you cannot put a regular needle intended for hand-sewing in a sewing machine! The hole in a sewing machine needle is at the bottom. The eye of a regular needle would be covered up when you put it in a sewing machine, if it even fit there, which it wouldn't.

Okay, rant over. I feel better now.

posted in Ski Resort Mogul on Nov 2, 12 11:16 PM
This game seems to have a terminal case of mediocrity. The graphics are okay, the interface and gameplay are okay, the difficulty level is okay.... You get the idea. It really doesn't have a lot of character. There are other games similar to this one that I found more enjoyable, and certainly more compelling.

posted in Slime Army on Nov 2, 12 11:06 PM
I agree with so much that I have read here. The game is terribly cute, but the colors can be very difficult to distinguish, you can't watch the battle going on below because you're too busy matching, the trophies awarded seem to be random, etc. The idea behind it is interesting, but the execution is lacking.

posted in Unlikely Suspects on Nov 2, 12 10:51 PM
Wanted to like it. Really. Unfortunately, there didn't seem to be anything notable about it one way or the other. The graphics weren't great, but I've seen worse. That pretty much describes the game for me, too. Sometimes my decision whether or not to buy a game is based almost solely on how much I want to get back to it if I leave it alone for a while. If I feel no need to continue it, it's a "no buy." That was the case with this game.

posted in Private Eye: Greatest Unsolved Mysteries on Nov 2, 12 10:36 PM
Items small and unclear, time limit on levels, point deductions for misclicks. 'Nuff said.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator