Posts created by Imberis

posted in Miriel's Enchanted Mystery on Jun 16, 10 1:37 AM
So far, I'm enjoying this game. It gets progressively harder, but at a nice pace. You play as Miriel, a girl working in some sort of magic shop/ deli. (That's the only way I could think to describe it!) You serve customers items like water and flour, and then as the levels get harder you have to make new items from what you started with, like making bread from flour and water. Other new items are added, as well. Each level has a goal you must achieve in a certain amount of time, and after that is an "expert" goal, but you don't need to get that one. If you played the first Miriel game, you'll get the hang of it right away. Additionally, there are some hidden object scenes of the FROG variety (fragmented objects), but they're not difficult if you don't like that type of thing. I like the graphical style of the game. It's very cute. The music was fine, as well. In the main menu, there is an "extras" tab, where you can see statistics, recipes, and unlock achievements as you progress through the game. I thought that was a nice touch.
This one might be a purchase!

posted in The Crop Circles Mystery on Jun 16, 10 1:30 AM
This game seems like it will be really, really short. I looked at the walkthrough and I estimate that I'll be 3/4 of the way through it when (or if) I finish the demo. Granted, I have played pretty fast (I clicked through the cut-screens, but didn't skip them), though I did all of the puzzles, which have been super easy so far.

posted in The Inquisitor on May 31, 10 1:12 AM
Yikes! This one looked good, but I am not liking it. The graphics are very dark and somewhat grainy, even in outdoor scenes. I get that the game is supposed to be somewhat dark and gloomy, but many other games give that vibe without sacrificing the quality of the graphics. Hidden objects weren't very hard to find, because they sort of stick out. The cut-scenes take FOREVER to get through. I really want to know the story, but I also don't want to sit there for five minutes to get through just one part of the story. You can skip them, but it skips that entire cut-scene, so then you miss part of the story. I wish you could just "fast-forward" a little. The "adventure" part of the game looks promising, but I don't want to deal with the dark scenes.

posted in Buried in Time on May 27, 10 1:21 PM
This game was so disappointing. Artist Colony was great, but this one is nowhere near as good. Buried in Time has very little story, which was one of the interesting aspects of Artist Colony. The puzzles are easy. The gameplay is SO repetitive. At least in Artist Colony you could sort of work around the game becoming repetitive, but because the goals are so structured in Buried in Time, you have little choice of what to do. One worker searches, another digs, another brushes, another analyzes. Then you do that over and over again, just with a greater number of workers. The graphics and music are good, but that's all I liked about this game.

posted in Robinson Crusoe and the Cursed Pirates on May 21, 10 2:39 PM
I agree with what everyone else has said. Great graphics! The objects are well hidden. I really like the music. It fits the theme well, even if it is a bit campy. It's nice that they include widescreen options as well as an option to turn on/off the custom cursor. I'm also really glad to see a funny game. I love spooky games, but this is a nice change. I played for about ten minutes before I decided to go ahead and buy it!

The homages to other games/movies are also funny, like the Cap'n. In that scene I had to find a hat that looked suspiciously like the "Sorting Hat" from Harry Potter. I thought that was a nice touch.

posted in Journalist Journey: The Eye of Odin on May 19, 10 11:30 AM
I beta tested this game (twice!) and did not enjoy it at all. The story made absolutely no sense. The graphics were fine, but nothing amazing. From playing the beta and now the demo, the hidden object list is exactly the same. Like others have said, it's just OK.

What bothered me was some of the lazy programming. In the beginning (sort of spoiler-alert, but not really) when you're hunting for objects the camera is available to click on and examine, but you have no clue what to do with it. There are no instructions or anything. Turns out you're not supposed to use the camera at that time. Although you use it very shortly after, it still bothers me. To me, that's lazy programming. Other games have similar situations, but the programmers "turn off" the interactive portions, and they only become available when you actually need them.

posted in Deadtime Stories on Apr 29, 10 12:44 AM
Agreed! The graphics are really amazing! Lots of "spooky" games have muted colors, but I love how they added pops of color in this one.

posted in Nancy Drew: Message in a Haunted Mansion on Apr 18, 10 7:05 PM
Masanders wrote:There are several Nancy Drew games I have not been able to complete for various reasons (Scarlet Hand, Seven Ships and Waverly Academy) and one I just can't bring myself to buy just yet (#15 Creature of Kapu Cave). The reviews for Kapu Cave were pretty bad, but I imagine I will break down and buy it eventually, just to complete the collection. I also don't have the first two games in the series (Secrets Can Kill and Stay Tuned for Danger) or number 10 (Secret of Shadow Ranch), which I hear is one of the best. For some reason these three are hard to find.

I'm the same way about completing the collection! I have all of the Nancy Drew games now. For me, Kapu Cave was the worst (followed by Phantom of Venice). It's in a beautiful setting, but the characters are annoying and the ending made me so mad. I also agree with what you've heard in that Secret of Shadow Ranch is one of the best. You can buy it from the developer in boxed or download form, although it is more expensive than what you'd pay here.

posted in Royal Envoy Collector's Edition on Apr 7, 10 9:44 PM
Like some others, I also really do not like Build-a-Lot type games. However, I really enjoyed this one. I loved My Kingdom for the Princess, and (like others have said) this reminds me somewhat of that. The characters are quirky and fun, which makes the cut-scenes enjoyable. I like that there are trophies to collect for getting gold stars on the levels. The graphics are also quite nice. The levels have some extra little animations in them, like tropical birds flying by every now and then. I have a widescreen monitor, and it's so nice to see a decorative border rather than the traditional black rectangles on the side of the main game screen! I believe that I will be purchasing this one as a CE!

posted in The Lost Cases of 221B Baker St. on Mar 23, 10 1:22 AM
This game is a traditional HOG game (no interaction) with some fun puzzles. The graphics are nice and the sound is pleasant. Some of the objects are quite small, but a magnifying glass is built into the game. Each chapter provides a unique story. My main problem is the voice acting! Sometimes Holmes sounds Australian, and then other times he sounds like an American putting on a fake English accent. Yikes. Watson sounds odd, like sometimes he's verging on a Cockney accent, but not quite, then other times he sounds quite aristocratic. Besides that, I am enjoying this game, as it is kind of relaxing to play. I usually prefer IHOGs, but this game actually holds my interest.

posted in Vampireville on Mar 14, 10 7:14 PM
The game runs fine, but it also uses so much processing power for some reason. The only two things I have running (besides background processes and anti-virus) are the game and the game manager, but my computer's fan starts whirring quite loudly after about fifteen minutes of play, which it doesn't do with any other Big Fish games. I checked the Task Manager, and it said that 41% of the CPU is being used, which is crazy for a game of this size, considering I have an Intel Core 2 Quad processor and 6 gigs of RAM and a dedicated graphics card. I'm not sure what's going on, but I'd rather not have my computer overheat. I only play one chapter at a time before I close the game for a while, just in case.

posted in Vampireville on Mar 14, 10 5:01 AM
First of all, I have to say thank you to everyone for their reviews! I looked at the screenshots and they looked terrible, but then I read all of the great reviews, which convinced me to try the game. I'm glad I did!

Like everyone has said, I really like that it's funny and sort of spooky at the same time. It's fun poking around all of the corners looking for the right objects. The characters are interesting and amusing. The puzzles, so far, have been fun. I like that there's a little bit of Treasure Seekers style gameplay thrown in.

I quite like this game, which surprised me. It's not amazing but it's fun and very entertaining!

posted in Doors of the Mind: Inner Mysteries on Mar 13, 10 1:27 AM
raystownlady wrote:Yes,you can skip the puzzles but they're not very hard.Judging by how much you get done in the hour demo,it has to be a very short game.

Agreed. It seems very short. I peeked at the walkthrough and that also seems to indicate that the game (at least for me) wouldn't take that much time. Sometimes I don't mind short games (as in 2 1/2 hours or so of gametime) if I find the gameplay really good. It's only $6.99, but I don't like it enough to buy it.

posted in Doors of the Mind: Inner Mysteries on Mar 13, 10 1:14 AM
I am kind of bummed that this game is just not for me. The premise sounded good and it has an unusual setting, but for some reason I don't care for it.

Cons: The game doesn't automatically adjust for a widescreen monitor, so I have to adjust the monitor's resolution to see it correctly. Spot-the-difference gameplay. I'm not a fan of it, but others might be. Hidden objects are too easy to find, as in I can pick them out from the background without even having to look at the list because something just doesn't quite match (again, others might not feel this way at all). Finally, there's too much stuff! There is junk everywhere and animations all over the place that are distracting.

Pros: Interesting setting/ general plot idea. Nice graphics (when I fix my monitor). Sounds are pleasant enough. Hints refill fairly quickly.

posted in Escape from Lost Island on Feb 25, 10 6:20 AM
Haha! I thought the same thing. Also, that main character sure is a klutz. She's fallen in two holes so far!

posted in Escape from Lost Island on Feb 25, 10 12:55 AM
I really want to like this game. It looked so good! I have some issues with it, though.

Cons: The game is stretched on my widescreen monitor. Playing in windowed mode makes it so hard to see the items I guess I'll just have to change my resolution if I want to play it non-windowed. The music is BAD. It's like Enigma-lite-meets-elevator-jazz. I usually never have a problem with music in games, but I have to turn this off. I also had a sound glitch. I accidentally clicked onto my desktop (since I'm in windowed mode) and the sound went SO LOUD. I mean, like blasting. I turned it down in-game and it didn't help. I turned the whole computer's volume down and it still blasted. I have no idea what caused that. The story is so-so. It is skipable, yet I still want to know what's going on even though not too much has been explained so far. There are also some irritating arcade-style minigames that might bother some people.

Pros: The gameplay. It's hidden object, but Treasure Seekers style. I like that a lot. The graphics are really nice, even in windowed mode. Hints refill quickly. Minigames can be skipped (though you have to wait for the "skip" button to fill).

I am kind of torn on whether to buy this one. It looks like it'd be average length, just from checking out the walkthrough. Hopefully it will get more involved as the game goes on.

posted in Awakening: The Dreamless Castle on Feb 13, 10 10:29 PM
They might still be in your inventory! If you have a space that looks blank, try clicking on the blank inventory spaces. The crumbs sort of blend in with the inventory background. I thought mine had also disappeared or I hadn't picked them up, but they were there. They just didn't show up very well on the light background.

posted in Love Story: Letters from the Past on Feb 11, 10 2:15 AM
This game has a decently interesting story, if you enjoy romance. The younger girl did irritate me a little, but luckily you only have to put up with her for a very short amount of time, in all. The graphics are nice, but many of the items are very, very small. My eyesight is good, but I had to use a few hints because I just could not tell where some of the items were. The plausibility of some parts of the story (sort of spoilerish: How did that paper get into a locked room that I have to somehow figure out how to open?!) are a little iffy, but I forgot about that for the most part and I understand that it adds to the adventure aspect of the game. The "match pairs of items that go together" part of the game was borderline irritating. First of all, you can't tell which items are selectable until you actually select them. Extra items are included in the scenes, and they look like they'd make matches with some of the selectable items, but nope. Second of all, the pairings are weird. Boots match with boots, yet a pencil matches with a notebook. Yes, they both match. I was expecting more matches like the second pair, yet the game was all over the place with what it wanted.

I feel like this will be a very, very short game. According to the walkthrough, I got more than halfway through the game during the demo. I did skip a minigame and used some hints, and sometimes I can go too fast during HOG games, but it really doesn't seem like this game could last more than 2 1/2 hours or so. It might be longer if you don't use any hints and go about the HOG portions at a leisurely pace. Although I know I could get a lot less entertainment for my $6.99 elsewhere, I don't think I'll buy this one, because I've played too much of the game in the demo to be worth forking over the money for maybe playing another half an hour to an hour.

posted in Nightfall Mysteries: Curse of the Opera on Feb 6, 10 7:44 PM
I like this game, for the most part. The objects are sometimes a little disproportionate in size. I imagine a stapler next to a statue of the same size would really be five feet long in real life! The graphics are pretty good, but a little bit murky and like others have said, they can be pretty dark. At one point the game asked for a bat. The first bat I saw was a baseball bat, but it wouldn't accept that. I finally found a real (animal) bat, and that was correct. The characters are pretty interesting so far, and the voice acting isn't too bad. I didn't see an option to turn off the custom cursor, and while the game runs fine for the most part, I do feel the mouse drags just a little bit. I think I'll use my free punch card coupon for this game. Otherwise it would go on a "maybe" list. I want to see how the story plays out, at least.

posted in Farm Craft on Feb 4, 10 3:29 PM
Hello everyone!

I bought this game as a Daily Deal the other day, but it kept crashing. I contacted Customer Support, and they were very helpful. They suggested to turn off Aero in Windows 7 while playing the game, and it worked! I played through quite a few levels without crashing, whereas before it would randomly crash in the middle of a level. Here is the link they sent if you need help turning it off:

http://bigfishgames.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1114/kw/aero/r_id/109674 .

I assume that turning off Aero in Windows Vista might also stop the crashing, but I can't be sure.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator