Posts created by OvrThRainbo

posted in Night In The Opera on Jun 30, 12 4:25 AM
Based on Demo Only:

I was able to play 45 minutes of Night IN The Opera before RL call to me. The game is a strange combination of an Adventure murder mystery, a bit of a HOG (can't remember what you call this type of HOG) and a lot Match3 (which, thankfully, I like). Most of the music soundtrack sounds like ersatz classical. During the Match3s it is especially grating. The Match3s tiles seem very small compared to other games which was also a problem for me..,that and the fact that the Match3 games weren't very fun.

I will probably buy Night In The Opera because I am an opera buff but it doesn't seem to have been designed with the classical music/opera lover in mind (see reasons below only if you have played the game).

SPOILER ALERT

I finally earned my 1st classical opera recording - Bizet's CARMEN. When I was young I worked in a major record retailer on the Classical/Opera floor and I was also a collector of opera records and went to the opera, opera recitals, subscribed to opera magazines. As an undergrad and grad student in Vienna and Munich my friends were American opera singers, many very successful. (I can't stay on key; I just love music). So here's my critique of the opera recording of CARMEN: pleasant, probably recorded in Eastern Europe with Eastern European singers and musicians. The arrangement is very "opera lite", not fiery, not emotional - not very like Carmen. Even an American summer Boston Pops performance under Arthur Fiedler would have had more passion. This rendition is guaranteed to appeal to as many people as possible and offend no one. Probably the safest way to go in a game like this.

posted in Murder, She Wrote on Jun 29, 12 9:17 PM
Oy! I just finished the last of the 5 mysteries which comprise MURDER SHE WROTE. I'm having Jessica Fletcher withdrawals. I wish the developer had created more of these. They were fun with great story lines, characters (many of whom were gay, black, Southeast Asian - very diverse and REAL!). And who doesn't love that theme music from the TV series??? I highly recommend this for someone, probably a beginner, who enjoys HOGS and PUZZLES and mystery adventures.

posted in Pride & Prejudice: Hidden Anthologies on Jun 27, 12 6:25 PM
vicalana wrote:if only they made more dream day games!

Totally agree!!

Is dream day a developer? If so, does offer these games. If yes, can you recommend some titles, please?

the ever inquisitive OvrTheRainbo

posted in Around the World in 80 Days on Jun 27, 12 6:10 PM
zoomersam wrote:Just to say thanks to all the helpful hints that I have found here. Have completed my second journey with five lives left so know that the first journey was not a fluke!
Again thanks to all the people willing to give up hints to help the rest of us make it
z

Good for you!!!

I'm stuck somewhere in Egypt. Guess I need to poke my head into the Forum for this game!

posted in Pride & Prejudice: Hidden Anthologies on Jun 26, 12 10:35 PM
snapnhiss wrote:
OvrThRainbo wrote:
Because the story is set around 100 years ago (circa 1916) during the early years of the SILENT Movies - when dialogue was printed on the screen and IN-BETWEEN scenes there were printed cards w text which filled in story details and which were decorated with interesting graphics which might suit the time period or tone of the film - the game developers chose to include these printed cards in-between scenes in Mata Hari right down to the "flicker" effect of projecting a Silent Movie on a theater screen using a "Talkie" Movie projector (the number of frames per minute was different with each format - hence the flicker. The game developer also chose to make the cards B&W (Black & White) like Silent Movies AND designed in the type of "scratchiness" that one sees in old, un-restored Silent and Talkie pictures.

Oh, I can just imagine the reaction to that. Any sort of simulated background movement gets complaints of motion sickness and flickering or lightning or any sort of flash gets remarks that make it sound as though we've got a lot of photosensitive epilepsy sufferers in here.

Edit: spelling

I had to smile when I read your reply. I don't have Grand Mal Seizures but my Siamese does so I've read up on it. The slight flicker from a silent film being projected with a talkie projector is nothing compared to a strobe light or even a disco ball!

posted in Wisegal on Jun 26, 12 8:22 PM
BuddhaBuddy wrote:@OvrThRainbo
Google "netbook resolution 1024x768" to find out how to make it change to a USEFUL resolution. We did that, and now all games work just fine on it.

It does involve editing the registry, but the instructions are pretty clear.

BuddhaBuddy, I read (on the netbook compatible thread?) that someone contacted Asus Customer Support and they explained how to regedit on his netbook to chang the netbook resolution to 1024 X768 I was thinking of contacting Toshiba Support. But I will try your advice first. Thanks for replying!

posted in Wisegal on Jun 26, 12 2:48 AM
Wisegal is incompatible with my Toshiba N 350 Netbook's display according to an error message which told me to use my computer's main display resolution. I AM using my netbook's highest resolution which is 1024 x 600.

I love this game for so many of the reasons stated by others on this thread but I really love it for the art direction and graphic design which does a very good job of evoking sitting in a cinema during the time period when Mata Hari, a real World War I spy, actually lived. NOT SPOILING the plot....

Because the story is set around 100 years ago (circa 1916) during the early years of the SILENT Movies - when dialogue was printed on the screen and IN-BETWEEN scenes there were printed cards w text which filled in story details and which were decorated with interesting graphics which might suit the time period or tone of the film - the game developers chose to include these printed cards in-between scenes in Mata Hari right down to the "flicker" effect of projecting a Silent Movie on a theater screen using a "Talkie" Movie projector (the number of frames per minute was different with each format - hence the flicker. The game developer also chose to make the cards B&W (Black & White) like Silent Movies AND designed in the type of "scratchiness" that one sees in old, un-restored Silent and Talkie pictures.

posted in Pride & Prejudice: Hidden Anthologies on Jun 25, 12 11:28 PM
textrekkie wrote:It sounds like most people want all games to work and look exactly the same and have exactly the same features. Where's the fun in that?

It's good that lots of people tried it out...and it sounds like it is a different style of hidden object game. But is it really terrible because it doesn't have voiceovers (or is that a personal preference). Does all the dialog make it awful? (Why, if you can skip it?)

Is this a first time developer? (I won't have a chance to download and look at the game until later in the week).

From comments I've read in the last month as a new fishie it seems that there ARE some people who almost fetishiize a certain type of game with a certain type of game play and reject any other type or variation. But I've also read reviews and comments by lots of people who get bored tired of the same old thing and really enjoy novelty, a twist, something different...even retro graphics or old-style play.

Personally, if the story line is good (yes, I like a good story with my game action) I want dialogue. Whether it is in print or is voiceover or a combination isn't really important Sometimes the game's theme itself aesthetically dictates the choice.For example, one of the many games I'm playing now is a fun piece of relaxing fluff based on a true character, a female World War I spy:
Secret Missions: Mata Hari & The Kaiser's Submarines

I couldn't possibly tell you right now whether there are voiceovers or if the dialogue is printed on the screen BUT I do remember THIS: SPOILER (but not of plot)

posted in Pride & Prejudice: Hidden Anthologies on Jun 25, 12 10:58 PM
textrekkie wrote:@OvrThRainbo - They meant HdO games.

HdO is a tradename of a series of Hidden Object games by a particular developer that, generally speaking, evoke automatic rejection from 99.5% of the gamers in the pond.

Thanks for the explanation, textrekkie! I wish would make it clear who the developer is when we are thinking of downloading a game for a trial. I recently saw a thread on this so I know other fishies would like the same feature. Apparently, if you are here long enough (or on other sites) you figure this out eventually...

posted in Pride & Prejudice: Hidden Anthologies on Jun 25, 12 10:56 PM
laila60 wrote: giocato dieci minuti, gioco noioso e incomprensibilem mi dispiace credevo meglio

This is the English translation of what laila60 had to say in Italian:

played 10 minutes, the game boring and incomprensibilem sorry I thought better [b]

posted in Pride & Prejudice: Hidden Anthologies on Jun 25, 12 7:22 PM
gjnashif wrote:This may be a first so far...... but there are 40 reviews on the main page, there is not one person, not one person mind you, who recommends this game, at last look it was sitting at 0 percent....

Even the NDO games had someone that liked it.....

Does anyone know if we have ever had a game that literally nobody liked?

-- gnashif

What are NDO games?

posted in Pride & Prejudice: Hidden Anthologies on Jun 25, 12 7:19 PM
What could I possibly add to the comments of other reviewers here. Annoying characters popping in and out. Too much dialogue. Annoying HOGS with witless things to do. Boring, draggy music that made me sleepy rather than relaxed *and I AM a classical music fan). When a game has a lot of characters and more than the average dialogue the game needs to move along at a quick clip. This does not. The story is a classic; the game is not. I will not be buying this game after giving it a 35 minute tryout.

posted in Pride & Prejudice: Hidden Anthologies on Jun 25, 12 6:12 PM
bookworm1940 wrote:I hope Vervaine sees today's offering since some of us were just talking about 'virtual novels' being a dead genre. Wow...funny that we were just bemoaning that fact, and here we are with one to try out! I read the negative comments, but downloaded anyway and really am enjoying the game. Yes, there's lots of dialog to read, but personally, I don't mind. Since I bought the game, I now have plenty of time to read, absorb and enjoy.

It is a different bit of play mechanics and I'm quite enjoying that. I might have liked it just a tad better if there had been acutal voice overs (as opposed to reading) like The Great Gatsby, but I'm fine with this.

Please do give the demo a full chance and if at the end of that time you still can't stand it then at least you've given it a fair try. I, too, was really iffy at first when I started playing but then I got the hang of it and let myself get involved in the story.
So...off to play some more. And, yes, it would be wonderful if some of the game developers do pick up on this genre and really run with it!

I had a discussion in the last couple of days (mostly by PM) with Vervaine about "virtual novels". On another site I downloaded SHIVAH by the same developer as EMERALD CITY CONFIDENTIAL. Since I am Jewish SHIVAH may have some appeal even if it fails as a game (don't know -haven't played anything but the opening which seemed like a graphic novel - really good dialogue for a game, as many game reviewers and PC GAMING mag notes.

I love Jane Austen and have read all her books and seen the BBC productions, etc. I can't believe, as one fishy noted in a review, that the developers made one of the handsomest leading men in English literature, Mr. Darcy, look like a middle-aged toad . I'm a woman who loves women (and lives with one woman ) and even I know that Mr. Darcy is a hunk and that fact is a major part of the story!!! There always has to be one or two devastatingly good-looking, perhaps brooding young men in these novels. That is part of their appeal. What were the developer's thinking???

So, I've downloaded Pride and Prejudice: Hidden Anthologies because I want to see this train wreck of a game for myself. Maybe the rest of the game will be fine as a "virtual game" --- but screwing around with Mr. Darcy is unforgiveable and will probably make it a no-buy!

Was Queen of Spades the first game in the Haunted Legends series? Reviewers often reference a 1st or 2nd game but don't mention these games by title. this is hard for new gamers who want info and also want to play a series in order if possible.

posted in Dreamland on Jun 24, 12 8:50 PM
Oh no! I bought the game but haven't started it yet. Have you tried a walkthrough from another s-i-t-e???

posted in Val'Gor: The Beginning on Jun 22, 12 11:55 PM
I demoed Val'Gor: The Beginning for a few minutes and then bought it. I love a game that I can play in relaxed mode and this IS a hybrid mode. The game is lots of fun as a break from darker and large file adventure games with or without HOGs.

posted in Nancy Drew: Secrets Can Kill Remastered on Jun 21, 12 3:28 AM
No time to play since first session with ND. Two sick cats going to vet today. Disappointed that this and the other ND gamr I tried to play 2 years ago alone (but got stuck on b/c I didn'y know about hints - was't on ) do not have George. Loved her in the books. She was always a heroine for us tomboys even though she was not the lead character like Harriet in "Harriet The Spy". Also miss ND's roadster...

posted in Nancy Drew: Secrets Can Kill Remastered on Jun 19, 12 3:17 PM
I played three hours last night breezing through last night (except when I got killed or whatever in two different spots - figured my way out of the first at the very beginning of the game). After 3 or 3 1/2 hours I got to the point where I would have needed the lights on to go over my clues captured on my camera and solve more puzzles and start piecing together some evidence. Also, I need to get into two more rooms that I know of and aat this point I'd rather try to figure it out myself then ask for help.

Very busy right now up top (in real life) and don't know what day I can get back to the game this week (especially with DP wanting to play Hello Venice and finish Laura Jones and The Secret Legacy Of Nikola Tesla).

posted in Nancy Drew: Secrets Can Kill Remastered on Jun 19, 12 5:29 AM
gingergal wrote:catfish girl Did think that could be it, ah well.

Talking about music in barnacle blast (and I agree I hate arcade games but don't know if I need to finish it? I've left it at level 4 I think) if you play all the music on the juke box did you notice the 'audition' button, also if you play that and all others afterwards it's the same music as the audition in venice. Jukebox also has ND name backwards.

There are a lot of wee things like that in this game, if you played danger by design one of the books has the martial arts moves in it you have to learn. One of the posters in the school is the ND silhouttee with magnfying glass. Very clever putting all that stuff in.

I've run out of room on my camera so hope I dont need to take photos of everything to get an award.

Haven't had any time yesterday to play and won't today, maybe tonight. so happy sleuthing and hope to join you later.

sunshine congrats
and grandmamum
re blowing yourself up - I tried running out the door, forget about killing everyone else left. But I guess they don't allow you to do that as maybe that's a bit dodgy ethically. I did figure it out.

I ran out of room on my camera, too. I'm playing in bed in the dark in the middle of the night and didn't want to wake up my DP next to me by having the light on so I could take notes of everything.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator