Posts created by siladan

posted in Donna Brave: And the Deathly Tree on Feb 26, 18 8:43 AM
I am in mourning for the fall of yet another vaunted developer. I had such high hopes for this one. Alas, it was not to be.

As a big fan of Mad Head games, I eagerly anticipate each new offering from this developer. Unfortunately, with this game they have strayed from the narrow path of excellence and followed their brethren down the wide road of mediocrity. I wanted to like the game. I tried to like it. With so much faith in Mad Head, I played way longer than I should have, in the vain hope it would get better. It didn't. Here's why....

Fun Factor: What fun factor? There was no fun in slogging through mundane and illogical tasks that added nothing to the actual progress of the game.

Visual/Sound Quality: Wow! I'm almost speechless. Not what I'd expected, at all. The game has the look and feel of an offering from a new developer, not a seasoned all star like Mad Head. Just, wow.

Level of Challenge: Is this a joke? The HO scenes and puzzles could be accomplished by any savvy 8 year old. The only true Hidden Object is the greed of developers in foisting such a bad game off on the public and the only true Puzzle is why would any developer, Eipix and ERS included, destroy their integrity for the sake of pumping out mediocre games several times a month.

Storyline: And this is where it really gets bad. It's actually beyond bad. It's pitiful. Read some of the other reviews. It's that sad. Really.

Once upon a time, developers actually read the reviews. They would communicate with us in the forums and would take our suggestions to heart. Obviously, that is no longer true. Long-time members have been begging for games with logical storylines, challenging HO scenes, and interesting puzzles. And not just in this game, but in all games. No more lazy, tired, and over-used gimmicks. No more 'tokens" as locks. No more lame zippers (for example), or dropped objects that have to be found again in the next chapter (knife, scissors, screwdriver, saw, etc.). We're tired of sliders and other lame puzzles that serve no purpose other than time wasters. We want more than cardboard cut-out characters and horrifying voice-overs or music. A ghost/witch/evil spirit/sorcerer/demon doesn't have to be in every game. A little creativity and imagination wouldn't go amiss.

Developers, read the reviews of your long-time players. Don't rely only the praise of starry-eyed newbies. Trust me, they want these things, too, they just don't know it yet. Wait until they've played variants of the same game over and over for five years. They'll be complaining, too.

I don't want to minimize the enormous amount of time and talent going into each game. Many times I can feel the heart, soul, sweat, and tears that were poured into a game. Games from the heart are a joy and a delight to play. Unfortunately, they're becoming rare, as the chase for riches becomes the focus. It's a shame, because I know these teams are capable of true brilliance.

So, I'm playing my old games and waiting for the next amazing developer to walk the narrow path and wow me.... at least until they take the wide road.

posted in Dawn of Hope: Skyline Adventure on Dec 6, 16 1:31 AM
Geez, I swapped letters in the word "casual" above. In my defense, it's 4-ish in the morning here, my eyes are a bit tired and my brain is slowing down. I do so wish published reviews and posts could be edited.

posted in Dawn of Hope: Skyline Adventure on Dec 6, 16 1:26 AM
Many times I'm enjoying a game so much that I don't want it to end. It's usually because the story line is engaging. The developers at Mad Head are especially good at creating immersive stories for their games, although there are games from other developers that also ring my bell.

For hardcore gamers, there are options for prolonging the experience. Fans have forums, such as this one, to discuss games and continue the dialog. Other venues like rpgs and fan sites abound. Search for big titles like Halo, Diablo, and the Witcher (fav!) series and you'll see what I mean. I'm involved in several fan sites, with round-robin writing as a favorite means of gamer-love.

Casual games have come a long way in the few years I've been playing them. While they will probably never reach the level of sophistication and prestige of their more illustrious siblings, I believe the time has come to show some respect.

In the spirit of showing fan-love to excellent games in the causal gaming genre, I think it would be cool to have a round robin writing group (private, non-commercial, with fair-use creative license). This is also known as fan-fic. There are a few games that are deserving of this level of fandom. Dawn of Hope is one of those. The dystopian universe Mad Head has created is especially intriguing. There are other games that may also be considered.

I'm open to other games and genres, as there are many good games that are worthy of fandom. Anyone who has read my (few) reviews knows my preferences; they are many and varied and we're sure to find common ground.

If anyone is interested, please PM me.

posted in Dawn of Hope: Skyline Adventure on Dec 6, 16 12:33 AM
With certain settings in the options menu, you have to check the hint and the skip in order for them to function. Go to the main menu, open the options settings screen. The custom setting is especially formulated to make the changes you may want. Check the hint and/or the skip by clicking on the appropriate circles. The functions are now enabled.You should be able to set the amount of time, also. Hope this helps.

posted in Invasion: Lost in Time on Aug 4, 15 10:20 AM
Running Windows 10, so it might be the OS, but the game froze for me, too. Plus, the screen is skewed to one side so that half the graphics are missing. Prob a no buy for me, as there are other games that run fine without issues.

posted in The Others on May 16, 15 5:44 AM
I totally understand that your average user would not/should not tamper with systems that they don't understand. I'm not your average user, but I thank you for the warning.

The point is not to have people clean their registry of error keys (which can be done safely and effectively if you know how) but to make other gamers aware that THIS game has an excessive amount of leftovers.... 3637 to be exact. Most BF games that I clear have 20-25 at the most.

Remnants ARE left for varying reasons. Those you listed are among those reasons and there are many others. But intelligent gamers (and some who are not as savvy) like to know what is being left on their computers when a game is deleted. Plus, there are those who reasonably assume that their systems are clear.

This was in no way an endorsement to have gamers modify their systems. I was merely pointing out that one might want to think twice about downloading a game that leaves an excessive amount of HKEYS.

posted in The Others on May 15, 15 9:18 AM
I posted this on the game site review page, but thought it might need to be addressed here, too. I'm not sure it will go through on there and thought people need to know this.

I didn't play the whole game, as the game play was mediocre due to no map, boring HO piles, and outdated graphics. I usually wouldn't review a game that I haven't finished since I don't believe you can give a true review on a partial game (how many times have YoU played a demo you loved, only to be disappointed after purchase... and vice versa?).

However, I thought I needed to let others know that after uninstalling, 3637 HKEY items were left in the registry. I use a wonderful uninstaller that alerted me to the left overs and I promptly cleaned them up. It took far longer than usual, partially due to the number of remnants... but I did notice long pauses as the program attempted to clean... which is also unusual.

Many games have left overs after an uninstall, but I have never had more than 20-25 and usually much less. This game was excessive. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with this developer, but I'm not sure I will trial more games by them.

posted in Cursery: The Crooked Man and the Crooked Cat on Nov 25, 14 12:03 PM
I agree about the locked thread. I could see it if the game was off the market and so old that it was no longer sold, but this is not an ancient game and people still buy it (I did). With that out of the way, on with the review...

I am not a big fan of Big Tea Games, primarily because I don't like FROGs, the maps are barely adequate, and I hate back and forth, back and forth, back and forth.doing the same thing over and over. You get my drift. The hidden object scenes are repetitive and the puzzles are even more so. Unfortunately, I bought all the Dark Parables when they were on sale, not realizing they were BTG. Now I feel obligated to finish them. But if you like Dark Parables, you will like this.

Cursery is the same style as the DP series You travel multiple times to the same area to do the same FROG or puzzle scene, doing much the same thing over and over, and getting slightly different objects each time to place in a random area. So if you enjoy a particular puzzle, rejoice! You will probably get to do a similar one 3, 4, 5, or 6 times. If you hate puzzles, like I do, it is a real groan fest as you wait for the skip button to fill. The nasty thing about Blue Tea is they penalize you for this. The regular hint button is disabled for 5, yes 5, minutes. A real bummer.

The story barely moves along, but when it does, it's in hops and skips. This makes the story feel more fragmented than the dreaded HOs (and I like HOs!).

The scenery is beautiful, though, and the audio is not annoying. There is some muted background noise of screaming (?) in one of the scenes that almost had me silence the game, but I moved through it pretty quickly each and every time.

A lot of people love Blue Tea Games and I respect that. Others who feel the way I do will want to know what they are getting into. All I can say is try it before you buy it. I wish I had.

posted in Esoterica: Hollow Earth on Oct 31, 14 12:48 PM
Okay, so I went into the second page of this forum, and lo and behold! Lots of other people had problems with the brown bottle, too. It seems the solution is to start the game again under a different profile, as even uninstalling and installing again will not solve the issue. This feels like a pain in the gluteous maximus to me, as I've come quite far in the game and hate to start over. However, if that is the case, and it appears that it is, then I will probably shelve this game for a while and pick it back up when I'm no longer aggravated with it.... under a different profile, of course.

Hope this helps the fishes who haven't ventured into the second page.

posted in Esoterica: Hollow Earth on Oct 31, 14 12:35 PM
I bought this game yesterday and began playing it today. I am having the same problem as Fishy Jazz. I can't get the bottle no matter how much I click on it. I have gone out of the screen and back into the screen a few times. I have gone to the main menu and then started up the game again. Short of uninstalling and re-installing (which may or may not solve the issue in the next play time), I am stuck on what to do.

Did anyone else have this problem and solve it?

Like Fishy Jazz, I also hit the hint button, so I know I am clicking on the correct item. My pointer even distorts when I'm on it. But nothing gives, no matter how hard I try. This is the first, and hopefully only, glitch I have experienced in this game. In all, it has been fun. The only thing that would make it better would be if I could get the bottle and if the game had a walk-through.

I would love to see a game featuring Australia or New Zealand, perhaps something with aboriginal myths and legends. Wrestling a crocodile, discovering native flora and fauna, avoiding poisonous creatures... wow. Also Africa would be amazing... exploring the savanna as a photographer and having to deal with the local witch doctor, etc. Surviving an elephant rampage or a wildebeast charge would be exhilarating. The music for both of those locales would be epic.

On a similar note, I would love to see a totally different type of genre emerge for casual gamers. I am ready for something a little more sophisticated... like a cross between the HOPAs that we have today and an immersive game, like Alan Lake or Max Payne, with puzzles and without the shooters. I'm wishing for a renegade marshal (like Justified, the tv show), an outlaw biker gang (like SOA, the tv show), or an ongoing series of betrayals and revenge (like Revenge, the tv show). I'm not suggesting using these shows, as they are copyrighted and would be expensive to do. But something along those lines.... it would be a refreshing break from the same ole stuff.

Also, I would love a gentle poke at hillbillies, rednecks, and the culture they survive in (I'm originally from the South). A fun, humorous game that doesn't take itself too seriously and is not mean but gently teasing would be awesome. Cousin Porkchop, Cousin Tater, and Cousin Sunny Delight, along with Uncle Otis and Aunt Mavis, navigate the ins and outs of Toot's Holler. In the right hands, hilarity could ensue.

It's coming, I know. Someone, somewhere will be brave enough to break out of the mold and change gaming for the masses. Until then, I will divide my time between casual and hard-core gaming.

posted in Charlaine Harris: Dying for Daylight on Jul 16, 14 8:17 AM
I want to add my voice to the plea for a continuation of this game.

BF, please look into another developer taking over this franchise. I realize there are licensing issues, but that's what a legal department is for. Approaching Ms. Harris shouldn't be a problem, as it's clear that she also wished for this to continue. The game has its own website, so it's still supported.... and if it was also available in the iPhone/Android format, mega-$$$. could be made. All in all, this game is a great business opportunity for a savvy developer.

posted in Fatal Hearts on Jul 15, 14 7:27 AM
This game is not for everyone, it's true, but I love it. I am a big fan of otome games and buy them all the time for my cell phone and my kindle. I wish Big Fish had more of them, I would buy every one.... and I'm not a child, either.

One of my favorites is Yo-Jin-Bo. You have to get it from a third party site, but I used PayPal and all was fine. Google 'otome games' for more info into this genre. Voltage, Winter Wolves, and Hanako are good places to start.

If you ever get really plugged into one of these games, you are addicted. There are websites and forums dedicated to the genre... mostly Japanese, but more English sites are added every day.

Some gamers have gone so far as to invest in a good Japanese-to-English dictionary so that they can have more games to play. Thankfully, otome games are gaining a huge following here in the US and they will be easier to find as more and more of them are translated into English.

posted in Mysterium™: Lake Bliss on Jan 28, 14 8:40 AM
You summed it up exactly, sfr8rfan, with the difference being that I am not wired to always buy CEs and it takes something really special for me to go that route. Unfortunately, the demos aren't always a good indicator as to whether a game is worth a CE or not. I have been so excited after a demo, only to purchase and watch in disgust as a game fizzles away to nothing. Then again, I have bought a game on a DD that I skipped after a demo, only to find the game just had a slow start and I actually ended up crushing on it.

I would love to see a $6 upgrade to a CE from an SE, without having to buy the whole game again, as I only care about the extra game play. Like you, I think the other stuff distracts from the game itself.

I've always thought the reason CEs were so pricey, and not discounted/couponed like the SEs, was due to the developers trying to recoup some of their development costs. When I think of all of the elements that go into making a game, whether good or bad, then I realize just how expensive game development is. It still doesn't seem equitable that CEs are double the price, though. I truly believe the developers would make more $$$ if the price was lower, as they would sell more games. Half of my SE games would be CEs if that was the case.

I liked this game and it would probably be a CE purchase for me if it was cheaper or if I could use two coupon codes or if there was a discounted upgrade. As it stands, Ima be stayin' wit da SE.

posted in Silent Scream II: The Bride on Jan 23, 14 1:47 PM
I demoed this game today, along with the prequel (Silent Scream: The Dancer). The first game has a WT, but I won't buy either of them due to the lack of WT on this one. They are both kinda quirky and fun, however, I like to buy a whole series of games at a time and play them back-to-back. I've been stuck a time or two with past games and have found a WT to be invaluable. I don't know if I'll need it on either of these, but it's always nice to know they're there.

BTW, I have to agree with Lilanu, who responded to a blatant taunt in a prior posting from gummybear1962.... it's great if you don't need a WT, but to address a forum in such a disrespectful way for others who do- that's so not cool. Laugh if you wish, but do so in the privacy of your own space. Respect is the foundation of community and something we should all strive for in our dealings with one another.

posted in My Singing Monsters on Jan 17, 14 1:04 PM
You fishies are soooo awesome for keeping this front and center on the forum. I, for one, appreciate it, as I don't have to sift through pages of stuff to find it. I wish the mods would sticky this topic and I'm not sure why they won't. I have seen many irrelevant topics stickied on various game forums and this seems very pertinent- especially in light of lost games and the need to save often. Anyway, I just want to say....

Thanks, y'all!

posted in Fairy Tale Mysteries: The Beanstalk on Jan 6, 14 3:35 PM
Hi there! I was just swimming by, as I also happened to have the same problem and was looking for a solution. The WT didn't seem to help at all. I even went into the CE forum to see if anyone had the same issue over there. They did, but the answers given weren't very helpful. Ouch! The sharks were biting! I swam away quickly before I got eaten! I went back into my game, did my own thing, and it worked.

May be a SPOILER ahead, so beware!!!

In this game, you usually wait until you have all of the components in the inventory before you utilize them... or so I thought. At this juncture, something is different. I just handed the components that I had to the Air/Angel Fairy- even though they weren't complete and were still in the task bar. In other words, I had a green check on the sling parts in the task area and not the complete sling that was quasi-visible. I clicked on those and gave them to the Fairy. Voila! the sling materialized and I was allowed entry into the other door of the castle, where I finished the game.

I hope this helps any other fish who happens to be as confused by this as I was. It's kinda lame for the gameplay to change right at the end, but it sometimes happens. Have fun, keep on swimming, and watch out for sharks!

posted in My Singing Monsters on Dec 18, 13 9:06 PM
PLEASE moderators, sticky this. I have to spend time searching for it each time I want to back up my game, as I want to make sure I am doing it correctly. Having it on the front page would be a great timesaver. I'm sure others would appreciate it, too. Thanks!

posted in Nevertales: The Beauty Within on Nov 25, 13 1:05 PM
I have played the demo of Nevertales and I like it very much. I think I want to buy it. I usually read most of the reviews before I purchase a game, as I find they are fairly accurate and give multiple points of view. I read that there are puzzles which are not skippable after the demo. Since not being able to skip puzzles is a game killer for me, I really want to know before I hit the buy button. No skip=no buy. Thanks!

posted in Dark Canvas: A Brush With Death on Oct 31, 13 6:52 AM
Gotta love those walk-throughs! I just saw the picture where the copper bowl goes on the table before using the tongs. I hope this helps. Heading back into the game to try this now!

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator