Posts created by mostly_nameless

posted in Sacra Terra: Angelic Night Collector's Edition on Aug 2, 11 6:00 PM
By the time I got to the first HOb scene, this was really slowing down (even with system cursor) and making my computer really hot. It's a Dell Studio XPS (Win 7) and it heats up often, but this game was getting REALLY hot.

I'll need the fan-pad to try again. I'll have to try again to see if it speeds up if I can keep it cool. (Or maybe there'll be a fix?)

posted in Voodoo Whisperer: Curse of a Legend on Jul 16, 11 8:50 PM
That just sucks.

Count me as somebody else who wouldn't have bought it if I had known it was half a game with no ending.

posted in Vampire Saga - Welcome To Hell Lock on Jul 10, 11 2:33 PM
Just finished and have a headache.

I don't think my head liked all the sparklies.

It is really too easy for most players. It would be an excellent introduction to ihog games, since it show you almost everything.

I say, "almost" because I kept getting stuck with things that made no sense and having to use hints to figure out where to go use them (until I figured out that usually, the pictures tell you where to go next).

If there was a hard mode, this would've probably been a great game.

But, the story was sort of a downer. I kept waiting for the "vampire" in the title to appear and it was sort of a letdown.

Oh well. Still, it was an okay, if way too easy, game.

Edited to add: I did have one nit-pick. The first time I got to the elevator, the game died on me. But, I only had to restart at that level, so it wasn't devastating. (Like, oh, I don't know...maybe the stupid "12 eyes" thing. Yeah, I'm looking at you Nightmare Realm and I'm STILL sore!)

posted in Nightmare Realm Collector's Edition on Jul 3, 11 6:11 PM
puppyalpha wrote:i installed the game and WOULD NOT PLAY, when i tried to uninstall- I GOT A MESSAGE THE GAME IS RUNNING. !!!!

it doesn't made sense to me !!!! if i can't play the game, HOW IT BE OPEN !!!!!

huggs & kisses,

puppyalpha

Mine does that if I try to play it through the Game Manager. If you open your computer's Task Manager and look under processes, something to do with the game is running...it's just not running so you can play it. Shut down the Nightmare Realm process via Task Manager, or just restart your computer, and then you can delete it.

posted in Nightmare Realm Collector's Edition on Jul 3, 11 10:20 AM
The latest response from tech support says you have to uninstall/reinstall AGAIN to get past the 12 eyes (and that, yes, you'll have to create a new profile and start over).

I want my game club credits back.

But, I may try it when I'm bored just to see if it really does fix the problem or if they're just saying that to kill time until they do find a solution.

posted in Nightmare Realm Collector's Edition on Jul 2, 11 10:54 PM
Reinstalled the game after the new version and now I'm stuck at 12 eyes.

Also, the cursor is attrocious. I had to get rid of custom cursor to even play the game and the magnifying glass cursor just sort of goes where it wants.

Oh, and as long as I'm complaining, I can't start the game from the game manager at all. It just never starts, but it says the game is running if I click on it again.

posted in Mystery Trackers: Raincliff Collector's Edition on May 22, 11 12:04 PM
I tried to reply last night, but I guess it didn't post.

Finally finished, this is a LONG game, and I loved it.

Cons: There is a lot of tromping around and I had to consult the strategy guide several times because I had no idea where to go or what to do with the junk I had left in my inventory. But, it did all eventually make sense.

I didn't care for the storyline of the bonus game. I would say why, but it would be a big spoiler for anybody that hasn't played.

Pros: Just about everything else. It had a good story, good characters, good internal logic for the most part (I did gripe when I had to go find something "sharp" and walked right by a butcher block full of knives to find a broken glass.), great length, and awesome graphics.

And, I loved the Achievements. There are a few I'll most likely never get (like one for doing the tutorial). But I got a lot of them.

I liked it better than 13th Skull, but not better than Dire Grove.

Awesome game!!!

Re the Kitty: (possible spoiler) I didn't stop everything to rescue the kitty, but when I took it into the pharmacy to drink the milk, I did say outloud "if this poisons the cat, I'm not going to play anymore." I was pretty happy when it drank the milk and walked away.

posted in Mystery Trackers: Raincliff Collector's Edition on May 18, 11 8:16 PM
What I was doing wrong, don't know if it helps anybody else, is there were parts on the strategy guide picture that looked like the gray color, but they were supposed to be pink.

posted in Dark Dimensions: City of Fog Collector's Edition on May 15, 11 4:08 PM
I finished the game (including the SHORT bonus game) last night.

I couldn't launch the game from the game manager because I kept getting an "access violation", but I could launch it from a non-manager icon.

It was a fun game, but I did have a couple of other odd problems.

I had a problem getting the coin from the broken mirror. I had to go out, then come back in, then make a hint tell me the coin was there...then it was finally there. Strange.

I had trouble picking up a couple of other things too (like the ladder), but got it all to work.

I also had a problem with the slider puzzle with the green, blue, yellow purple buttons on the track. They really didn't like sliding and I eventually got fed up trying to make them slide and skipped the puzzle. I'm not sure what that was about.

It was a good game, if a bit short for a collector's edition. I had to look at the strategy guide a couple of times because I was lost as to my next task/location. But, I think part of that was because I had the coin problem (and then later because I had missed an angel somewhere.)

If they fix the bugs, this one would get a big thumb's up from me.

posted in Dark Dimensions: City of Fog Collector's Edition on May 15, 11 4:04 PM
Finished the game (including the SHORT bonus) last night.

I didn't have a lot of the technical problems mentioned here, but I couldn't launch from the game manager (access violation). I wish they would fix whatever causes that.

posted in Mystery Chronicles: Betrayals of Love on May 3, 11 6:23 PM
arthurC wrote:
Just one thing -- what exactly WAS the bottle of vinegar doing on the table? I never did find out.

Oh yeah. I forgot about that.

Beats me.

posted in Mystery Chronicles: Betrayals of Love on May 2, 11 10:56 PM
I played to the end even though I wasn't really enjoying it by then.

I've never used so many hints in my life. This game completely lacked flow. I usually had no idea what to do next and items that had no purpose (yet) in my inventory.

And, the hints were spoilers, so that took the fun out of it. I would've preferred a hint like "been to the kitchen lately?" as opposed to one like "go to the kitchen and get the chainsaw to cut down the tree." (Not real samples.)

And, there was so much mindlessly tromping around. Just making us go back and forth between points a and b (often!) does NOT constitute "adventure".

posted in Fallen Shadows on May 1, 11 5:55 PM
slepless777 wrote:I'm sorry I bought this. It started out interesting, but the more I played the more annoyed I got at the crappy navigation and the more bored I got at the non-stop hidden object scenes. Bleh, what a disappointment this turned out to be.

Ditto.

I changed from advanced to easy because there was no point to advanced. You have to follow the game in the exact order and the hidden object scenes are ridiculous. Some of those items aren't as big as a semi-colon. And, then even when the hint shows me where they are, half the time I still don't see them or they don't look like what they are supposed to be.

A real loser for me. Most likely, I won't even finish it, and that's rare for me.

posted in PuppetShow: Lost Town Collector's Edition on Mar 23, 11 5:31 AM
pabo1998 wrote:Hi, maybe I missed something while rushing to finish this game but I am curious about the town....what happened to it, or more specifically, why did they all die?

Thanks

Sort of spoilers - highlight to read:

That's the frustrating part...they never told you. But, it seemed to have something to do with whatever they were mining for, since the miners died first.

But, we don't know what they were mining for or why they wanted it.

And, we don't know what happened to the puppet maker's child either.

And we have no idea how our villain knew about the Lost Town and it's magic crystal machine that seemed to just come out of thin air at the end of the game.

They really didn't answer any of the questions they set up about the Lost Town.

posted in PuppetShow: Lost Town Collector's Edition on Mar 19, 11 12:21 AM
I beta'd this one a while back and couldn't wait to see how it turns out.

It's a lovely game, but I'm a little disappointed. We leave "Lost Town" not knowing tha answers to any of the mysteries of the lost town. Boo! I wonder if they'll connect the dots in the sequel mentioned in the Bonus Game's "To Be Continued"?

I also had a couple of technical quibbles during the latter part of the game:
1. I had a terrible time trying to get the crab puppet to accept the wind up gear.
2. I had the triangle puzzle right, even looked it up in the Strategy Guide (first time I had to look at it), but it wouldn't open. (It did open after I moved a couple of "face' pieces out of order and back again.)
3. Somewhere in the Bonus Game, the word "shovel" is mispelled "showel".
4. We made a punch card in a typewriter? Are typewriters and machine punches both such relics now that game developers don't know the difference? Makes me feel old.

That said, it was a solid, good game, and worth the price as a CE.

I thought the game was sort of charming. I liked the goofy ghost animal voices. I kind of liked Edwina's "this is as exciting as brushing my teeth" voice over.

I thought INVENT-or-ee was a pretty strange word. PORT-cue-lus too. But, what the heck.

Story wise, it held together pretty well. Except I'm not sure why - spoiler -

Mom's ghost wanted her to disable the shadow locks

I think the bonus story had some holes in it and was a bit short.

I didn't realize until I looked at the reviews that the other usual bonus content is missing. And, there really was a scene in the bonus game I would've saved as a potential wallpaper. Oh well.

Not great, but an okay game, so long as the occult references don't bother you. But, I doubt I'll replay it more than maybe once.

posted in Soul Journey on Mar 5, 11 8:40 PM
It might have been fun if the hidden objects weren't so tiny, hard to see, and sometimes poorly placed. On my monitor, a lot of those things are tiny. And, some are so close to the edges, you can't really see them (like the cat on the roof).

Plus, it just didn't grab me.

Might buy it some day on a DD special and play it with a magnifying glass. Might not.

posted in Maestro: Music of Death Collector's Edition on Feb 19, 11 10:02 PM
Nice long game. Not too hard. Good graphics and pretty good music. I'm a sucker for a game with good music.

Only three quibbles:

1. There were lags between scenes. They weren't too bad on my computer, but if I was playing on the backup laptop, they probably would be.

2. The villain didn't have a very big part. I got threatened and then nothing until the end. Maybe our villain was off taking a nap?

3. I thought the story line kind of fell apart a little at the end.

Spoiler: Why exactly did I break a mirror? And why did I have to burn the violin? Andy why didn't the music affect me? Was I deaf?

I haven't played the bonus yet.

posted in Stray Souls: Dollhouse Story Collector's Edition on Feb 13, 11 12:55 AM
A little too Harry Potter for my tastes, but not a bad game.

I liked the morphing objects, but missed a few. Do you get anything if you find them all?

I agree that it was too short for a CE. And, the prequel bonus is very short.

Also, it was another game that won't launch from the game manager, but I'm used to that these days. Other than that, it worked flawlessly.

I thought the end was sad.

LizzieK wrote:And why does her chest heave with each word? The same thing happens when we talk to the little girl’s mother later in the game. The heaving chest is so unrealistic and sort of bizarre.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. At first I thought it was creepy. Then, I got to thinking it was kind of funny.

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator