Posts created by cche

Played for 52 minutes completing 2.5 of 9 investigations -- 3 hours or a little more for me.

Graphics are good, though some items are identifiable only by inference -- long, thin thing sticking out of container -> ruler for example. Items are consistent with environment, and would stay where they're shown, though you might wonder what circumstance would cause them to end up there.

Music is ok, generic, not distracting, listenable even.

Story is as we have come to expect from the series, good writing and a bit of personality in the characters.

5 hints per investigation; I used only one so far.

Good integrated puzzles, not difficult, though at least one took me several tries to find the solution because our heroine kept getting killed. Not entirely logical, but what could they do?

In summary, production values are high and play is engrossing in a low to moderate difficulty adventure/HOG.
5.5 of 10 for me; I will probably buy it.

Edit to add: How nice! At $2.99 today, it is a steal!
Edit to add: Finished. Some nice puzzles, but nothing really new to report. Worth 7, glad I got it for 3.

posted in Mirror Mixup on Dec 12, 09 9:42 PM
I have found a way to hit the goal number of moves in every level I've tried (through 65), EXCEPT levely 47. Has anyone here succeeded in completing it in fewer than 6 moves? 4 is the goal, and I am stumped.

posted in Blood Ties on Dec 12, 09 1:48 AM
Played 18 minutes to complete two of about 20 "cases".
Straight timed H O, with 3 hints per case to be found (in addition to the initial 3).
Time seems to be 10 minutes per case with left over time carried forward to next case.
First 2 cases are each two H O screens with some 10-15 objects. At least one clunker, the list gave a character symbol that looks like 3 sides of a square, and the object was a letter N tile. Story is minimal. Music is a repeated clip, but not horribly irritating. Graphics are pretty good.

2.5 of 10 by my scale. Iffy for me even at $2.99.

posted in Mystery Case Files®: Dire Grove™ on Dec 11, 09 1:42 AM
I have played it for about half an hour. Excellent design, however I really do not enjoy being startled and listening to screeching terror. Have bought it despite this, but I surely hope that the next MCF will take us in a calmer direction. I don't play these games to get stressed out.

posted in Mystery Stories: Island of Hope on Dec 10, 09 11:01 PM
Finished this one on the daily deal. I am getting used to the quirks and vaguaries of this developer.

Story was tongue in cheek; I I like the new job the professor is promoted to in Berlin
(a teaser I know, since I played them out of order).

All in all, well worth my $2.99.

posted in Jane Angel: Templar Mystery on Dec 10, 09 1:15 AM
Guess I jumped the gun here. Oh well hope some admin can clean it up. :-)

posted in Jane Angel: Templar Mystery on Dec 10, 09 1:09 AM
Played 35 minutes, completed first full chapter. Nothing particularly bad, nothing particularly good so far. Seems like it wasn't long ago we had a similar design, an FBI agent collecting information and evidence for something I don't remember what.

H O screens are larger than the working window, so you may scroll left and right to see items; a big junkpile, though not entirely unreasonable, most things are what you would expect in the locale, though the image is overloaded. Object list reflects which objects are currently visible, which enables you to narrow down the location of objects "for free". Never needed more of a hint than that, so cannot testify to hint quality. The hint button activated soon after first screen opened, so I expect hints are pretty cheap, time wise. Some screens have an interactive puzzle where certain items are tagged, and you get to click them until you get them in the right sequence. Extremely easy. One or two "clunkers", a chess king clued as a queen, for example.

Usual picture puzzle also very easy. Nice little minigame in the "lab", move balls around a board, to create groups of exactly required number of given color. Still very easy.

Find the differences asks you to move things around on one half so that it matches the other half. I have more trouble with those, but not with this one.

Graphics are clean, music is classical, not annoying, not especially noticeable. Nice to recognize the Moonlight Sonata though.

Story moved slowly, so far, and didn't really capture my attention. Some mistranslated text in the story.

H O hum for me, but many may find it a nice relaxing game.

3.5 of 10 for me.

PS. preview did not star out what is now H O, so I had to come back and edit after the fact.

posted in Reiner Knizia's Ingenious on Dec 8, 09 1:08 AM
I have this board game and also have played many times on a German board game site. (Those who love boardgames will find many skilled opponents at brettspielwelt.)

While I haven't played this version, I can say that the game is lots of fun, with a good mix of skill and luck. You place tiles (consisting of pairs of hexagons with two symbols on them) onto the playing area which varies in size with the number of players in order to score points for the lines of like symbols your tile abuts. You score separately in each kind of symbol, and the one whose smallest score is the largest among the players will be the winner.

I highly recommend the game.

posted in Trio: The Great Settlement on Dec 7, 09 1:37 AM
I am not much for match 3 games, so take this with a large grain of salt.

I compare all match3 games of this type, shoot a thingy at a bunch of thingys so as to make 3 or more connect, with the very old game snood. It is considerably simpler than this, but just as addictive. GF plays it very frequently.

There is considerable opportunity for using the elasticity and bounce of the bits here to make some judgement and experience effective. The story line, rewards, and process of keeping our settlers happy is a separate game, and one which i haven't really time to evaluate. Better players than I will need to investigate.

On the good side, at least on my system, it plays smoothly and delivers a fun hour.

Enjoy!

Of course! The answer is simple...

MCF ire Grove, Collector's Edition is NOT a game! So easy when you pause to consider.

posted in The Otherside: Realm of Eons on Dec 6, 09 1:13 AM
Played for 40 minutes, completing 3 scenes of I don't know how many.

Nice graphics and an engaging story have made a good start on this one. What animation there is fails to improve the game; it's harmless though.
Hidden Objects are given by image, and not located logically; lots of invisible velcro here. Kind of interactive, in that you find a group of objects, one of which you will use to interact with and active area or character. Minigames are fairly standard, and not difficult. Music is repetitive, and likely will irritate some.

I might buy it for the story, but probably not really soon.

4 of 10 over all.

posted in The Dark Hills of Cherai on Dec 5, 09 1:29 AM
Looked at it for about half an hour. By the bar at top of image I got a little more than half way through first section. Didn't get a clue as to how many sections there are.

Easy H O screens with integrated inventory interactions, and puzzles. Attractive imagery. Music consistent and fairly nice. Story is a little jerky, but one can follow, mostly. I chose the "no help" mode, so cannot comment on how much help is available. Over all, quite well done if not terribly original. 6 on a scale of 10; not sure if I want to buy it.

posted in Masters of Mystery: Blood of Betrayal on Dec 4, 09 1:15 AM
35 minutes into the game, and still interested. Reasonably good voice acting, OK story so far. Music is nondescript, appropriate, and not irritating. H O screens clear; a few cleverly placed items. Additional tools you actually need to think of using as appropriate. A plus for me. One minigame so far, which needed quick eyes and a bit of reaction. Not my specialty Not severe problem though. You get the choice of timed, and hints refill quickly.

If this holds up for 3 or more hours it is a definite buy. Tentative 6.5 of 10. And now to sleep.

posted in Real Crimes: Jack the Ripper on Dec 3, 09 8:17 PM
Yep, it is another good clean HOG with a little story and a little personality.
I would like a little more of both. At least the music isn't irritating. 5 of 10; will see if it turns up at $2.99.

posted in Real Crimes: Jack the Ripper on Dec 3, 09 8:14 PM
BransonBel wrote:I wish BF would do the yearly dues thing- if I download 8 games the dues is paid for and I usually do that in a month or two so the rest is gravy. Just thinking out loud

If the site you are thinking of is the one I know, (I abbreviate it GH here), then consider a few other points. We get many chances at games for $2.99, and in any month you buy 6, you get another. Speaking as one who invested that $ per year,
I found that I was getting more games for the same money here, AND, I didn't get any ads for things I will never buy shoved at me.

I remain a member of both due to a conversion hassle on their end, but I have found this place to be the better deal, at least for me.

posted in The Treasures of Montezuma 2 on Dec 2, 09 12:33 PM
Quite possibly my favorite match 3 game is The Da Vinci Code.
This game does not compare. So much one could have done, so little achieved.

posted in Find Your Own Way Home on Dec 1, 09 1:53 PM
Paused to give my eyes a rest after 40 plus minutes. Finished 5 "levels". The graphics do take a mental adjustment. Used several hints on first screen. Story line is quite disjointed. Boss demands report NOW, and 2 screens later we still haven't made much progress. Music clips are annoyingly short and repeated within a scene.
Based on number of scenes completed and number indicated, looks like about 4 hours of play time. There is variety of goals, but they are all basically H O variations.

About a 5 of 10 on my scale, with the buy decision a "no" as I like a bit more story and I want puzzles that make me feel like i figured something out.

posted in Echoes of the Past: Royal House of Stone on Nov 29, 09 1:28 AM
I don't see that the Biggest Fish have made this, so I will.

I have played it for most of an hour, and am quite pleased.
The story design seems VERY similar to Princess Isabella: A Witch's Curse. but the game design is more similar to MCF: Return to Ravenhurst.

Music is good, not too repetitive so far, as fairly soothing. Graphics are clean, and interesting to look at.

H O screens are junkpile, but with good consistency with the story (plastic playing pieces aside). I found myself using one hint per screen with most hints not leaving me feeling like I should have found the item.

Easier puzzles and more guidance than in RTR, hence a much shorter play I think.
Based on a glance at the walkthrough, my 53 minutes is about a third of the game, though I won't be able to confirm that tonight.

Edited to add:
Just finished the game, a bit more than 3 and a half hours. I am well satisfied. Even the rather silly teaser for a sequel (entirely unnecessary) didn't irritate me.

7 of 10

posted in Mystery Stories: Berlin Nights on Nov 28, 09 11:16 PM
Yes, it is quite easy, but not irritating, at least to me. Has quite a wide variety of mini games and relatively small H O lists Hints are very plentiful. Finished the game in under 2.5 hours, but for $2.99, that isn't so bad. Story is ok, and the authors made some effort to tie the tasks to the story.

posted in Alabama Smith in the Quest of Fate on Nov 28, 09 12:05 AM
I don't remember where the faceplate was, but I know I had to use a hint to find it, and then I felt silly.
Only suggestion I can make in your situation is to replay... So sorry!

Go to:   

KEY:    Unread    Read    Sticky    Locked    Announcement    Moved    Moderator